Found Deceased CA - Ian Powers, 32, Levi's Stadium, 49ers game, Santa Clara, 12 Nov 2018

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
IMO, in this video it almost looks like he is carrying a brown Budweiser bottle in his right hand... does anyone know if the stadium allows drinks to be carried in to this area?
perhaps he had beers in the cooler in his car?

He may have grabbed one after leaving the stadium...
then went for a walk?

Just a thought...

Monday night news article carrying the info from relatives that the body was Ian's. No other info that hasn't been mentioned here already, except that it sounds like maybe the family requested things be kept low key: "Please respect everyone's grieving process, and only offer condolences, not stories, or theories on how he died. The speculation just makes things worse."

Monday night news article carrying the info from relatives that the body was Ian's. No other info that hasn't been mentioned here already, except that it sounds like maybe the family requested things be kept low key: "Please respect everyone's grieving process, and only offer condolences, not stories, or theories on how he died. The speculation just makes things worse."
Hmmm... statements like that tend to make things worse on their own...imo
How sad for the family. I hope that they have gotten answers to what had happened. I know I would move heaven and earth to find out what happened to my loved one. But, I understand we are all different when it comes to death.
RIP Ian Powers!

Body of Missing 49ers Fan Ian Powers Found in Bay: Family Member
11:57 PM PST on Nov 19, 2018

The body of 49ers fan Ian Powers, who went missing a week ago, was found in San Francisco Bay waters Saturday, about a mile from Alviso Marina, according to a family member. There has been no official confirmation of Powers' death from authorities.

~snip

Ian Powers' girlfriend, Chelsea Robbins, and her children were at the game with him, waited by his car in the parking lot for hours afterward and ended up taking a bus back to their hotel in Concord. The family was supposed to leave for Los Angeles the day after the game.

Hotstart, the Spokane company where Powers worked, released a statement Monday based on what it learned from the family member:

"Today is a very sad day for the Hotstart family as we learned the news of Ian Powers. Our hearts are very heavy as we grieve. It is hard to imagine not having him here. He was very friendly, talented, dependable and fun to be around. We will miss him very much. Our hearts go out to his family, friends and others he touched."

Video at link:

Body of Missing 49ers Fan Found in Bay: Family Member

Last edited:
Hmmm... statements like that tend to make things worse on their own...imo
How sad for the family. I hope that they have gotten answers to what had happened. I know I would move heaven and earth to find out what happened to my loved one. But, I understand we are all different when it comes to death.
RIP Ian Powers!
BBM

Agreed , regarding the bolded bit.

I'd never presume to mention this to his family--- even if I personally knew them and they trusted me --- but I'd want to know via autopsy , what the hell happened.

Was he possibly drugged ? Why did he walk over two miles and fall into the water -- if he was drunk/impaired ?
Is there any security footage of him walking to where he was found ?
So many questions as this seems suspicious ; imo.

Body found in Alviso Marina identified as missing 49ers fan
The body of a man found in the Alviso Marina in San Jose on Saturday has been identified as a 49ers fan who had been missing since Nov. 12, authorities said.

The Santa Clara County coroner’s office identified the victim Tuesday as 32-year-old Ian Powers, of Spokane, Wash. A cause of death has not been determined.

Why walk away and not tell anyone that he was leaving, go toward the car and then walk 2+ miles away? It just doesn’t really make much sense.

Maybe he did have some type of a PTSD episode or he was just drunk and the combination of things caused him to not know what he was doing?

So many questions on this very sad case and one that we’ll probably never really know for sure what happened.

Prayers to his family.
Ian, may you Rest In Peace.

Last edited:
My theory is that they want to pee in the water and fall in.

And then what - they forget how to swim? Or the water is too cold to swim maybe? Or panicked and can't swim because of panic? Or intoxicated and can't swim because of that? heavy clothes, etc.? I am seriously asking a gentle question here as it repeats itself time and time again... men found near water after drinking. I entertain the theory that they've gone off to pee, but then what? How does this continue to happen?

So very very sad for this man and those who knew and loved him. I honestly thought he'd be found alive... may his family grieve as they need to, in the solitude they are asking for, and be able celebrate Ian's life in the future...

And then what - they forget how to swim? Or the water is too cold to swim maybe? Or panicked and can't swim because of panic? Or intoxicated and can't swim because of that? heavy clothes, etc.? I am seriously asking a gentle question here as it repeats itself time and time again... men found near water after drinking. I entertain the theory that they've gone off to pee, but then what? How does this continue to happen?

So very very sad for this man and those who knew and loved him. I honestly thought he'd be found alive... may his family grieve as they need to, in the solitude they are asking for, and be able celebrate Ian's life in the future...
I've never drank/been drunk (nor can I pee standing up lol) so I don't know what it's like, but it does seem plausible that it would affect the ability to swim and/or reason what to do. I think all of the things you mentioned are reasonable theories - probably a combination in some cases.

There are likely other reasons too, of course. This was just something that came to mind when I was thinking about the men + alcohol + water trend.

Last edited:

I think its mainly alcohol gives them more courage and the misidentification of dangers. They overestimate their abilities to swim or underestimate the water itself.

Ive been drunk alot and rather pee on a wall in an ally than walk near a river or lake.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AtroRed
Back