GUILTY CA/IL - MICHAEL GARGIULO: The Hollywood Ripper

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
‘Hollywood Ripper’ was sane during his murders, jurors say

August 22, 2019

"Jurors on Thursday found a man prosecutors have dubbed “The Boy Next Door Killer” was sane when he fatally stabbed two women and tried to kill a third inside their Southern California homes.

The decision was announced after less than a day of deliberations in the sanity phase of the trial of Michael Gargiulo, also nicknamed “The Hollywood Ripper.”

Last week the same jury found Gargiulo guilty of the 2005 murder of 32-year-old Maria Bruno in El Monte and the 2001 murder of 22-year-old Ashley Ellerin, who was waiting at her Hollywood home before a planned date with actor Ashton Kutcher. Gargiulo was also convicted of the 2008 attempted murder of Michelle Murphy.

Gargiulo’s attorneys, citing expert trial testimony, argued that he suffers from dissociative identity disorder, previously known as multiple personality disorder.

Gargiulo, who lived near all the victims, did not visibly react to the verdict.

Jurors were told to expect to return on Sept. 9 for the trial’s penalty phase, although a judge said the date could shift...."

‘Hollywood Ripper’ was sane during his murders, jurors say – Daily News

Reactions: byo
Last Phase of Trial Delayed for `Hollywood Ripper’

SEPTEMBER 4, 2019

"The penalty phase of trial — in which jurors will be asked to recommend a death sentence or life in prison for the convicted double-murderer dubbed the “Hollywood Ripper” — was delayed Wednesday for nearly a month.

The Los Angeles Superior Court panel that found Michael Gargiulo guilty of the grisly slayings of two women in Hollywood and El Monte, along with an attack on a woman in Santa Monica, had tentatively been due back in court next Monday for the start of the trial’s penalty phase.

Citing scheduling issues, Los Angeles Superior Court Larry Paul Fidler on Wednesday pushed back the start of the penalty phase until Oct. 7....

Gargiulo is awaiting trial separately in Illinois on a murder charge stemming from the Aug. 14, 1993, slaying of 18-year-old Tricia Pacaccio, who was the sister of one of his friends...."

https://mynewsla.com/hollywood/2019/09/04/last-phase-of-trial-delayed-for-hollywood-ripper/

Convicted serial killer Michael Gargiulo, nicknamed the ‘Hollywood Ripper,’ to be featured on an episode of ‘48 Hours’

SEP 12, 2019

"The case of the convicted serial killer and Glenview native Michael Gargiulo, will be broadcast on a special two-hour “48 Hours” investigation scheduled to air on CBS TV this Saturday at 8 p.m...

In the two-hour special, Chicago-based “48 Hours” correspondent Maureen Maher investigates the case that brought Gargiulo to trial in California. The episode features interviews with former friends and the Pacaccio family. Maher also has a conversation with Gargiulo in jail."

Convicted serial killer Michael Gargiulo, nicknamed the ‘Hollywood Ripper,’ to be featured on an episode of ‘48 Hours’

Ellerin1.jpg

Prosecutor Dan Akemon [in court]: The methodical and systematic slaughter of women … that's what this case is about.

It is not overstating it to say this is a sensational murder trial. On the witness list: actor Ashton Kutcher, who was scheduled to go on a date with one of the victims the night she was murdered.

But had the so-called Hollywood Ripper killed others? That was the question investigators more than 1,800 miles away had been wrestling with.

For "48 Hours" correspondent Maureen Maher, this story begins near her home just outside Chicago.
The Hollywood Ripper: How "48 Hours" helped crack the case of convicted serial killer Michael Gargiulo - CBS News

Just watched that 48 Hours - I remember seeing the prior episodes on this guy.

This guy is truly one of the most scary types of predators out there, IMO. Here's why - its bad enough to randomly cross paths with a guy when you're out in public...as in the case of many of Ted Bundy's victims.

But MG is worse, IMO, because he is watching these women when they are in their homes, for an extended period of time. They are living life, innocently, not knowing a predator is watching their every move. It is completely creepy and scary to think about.

I hope to god this guy dies in prison without hurting anyone else. He is the true definition of someone who society needs to be protected from. So gross.

Just watched that 48 Hours - I remember seeing the prior episodes on this guy.

This guy is truly one of the most scary types of predators out there, IMO. Here's why - its bad enough to randomly cross paths with a guy when you're out in public...as in the case of many of Ted Bundy's victims.

But MG is worse, IMO, because he is watching these women when they are in their homes, for an extended period of time. They are living life, innocently, not knowing a predator is watching their every move. It is completely creepy and scary to think about.

I hope to god this guy dies in prison without hurting anyone else. He is the true definition of someone who society needs to be protected from. So gross.
TBH I'm not hoping this beast dies in prison...I hope he will be sentenced to death and dies in the death chamber...
I know Newsom de facto abolished the death penalty in California but...maybe in the future a new governor could resume executions...

I watched this episode last night and one thing stuck out to me and that was that Gargiulos family (removed) him from the Pacaccios home? Will they be charged for protecting him from prosecution?

TBH I'm not hoping this beast dies in prison...I hope he will be sentenced to death and dies in the death chamber...
I know Newsom de facto abolished the death penalty in California but...maybe in the future a new governor could resume executions...
Probably not. Been almost 14 years since an execution in CA

You're probably right. But maybe a new republican governor in the future would resume executions...I know it's just a slight chance...

Penalty Phase Set to Begin in Trial of 'Hollywood Ripper'

Oct 7, 2019

"Jurors in the trial of the convicted double-murderer dubbed the "Hollywood Ripper" are due back in court Monday for the latest phase of the trial, in which they will be asked to recommend whether the defendant should be sentenced to death or life in prison without the possibility of parole....

The penalty phase of trial was delayed for just over a month because of scheduling issues."

Penalty Phase Set to Begin in Trial of 'Hollywood Ripper'

Hollywood Ripper Trial Penalty Phase Prosecution Opening Statement

Oct 7, 2019

---

Hollywood Ripper Trial Penalty Phase Defense Opening Statement

Oct 7, 2019

Hollywood Ripper Penalty Phase - Victim Impact Statements - Douglas Picaccio & Thomas Pacaccio

Oct 7, 2019

---

Hollywood Ripper Penalty Phase - Victim Impact Statements - Diane Pacaccio

Oct 7, 2019

Hollywood Ripper Penalty Phase - Victim Impact Statements - Cynthia Ellerin & Michael Ellerin

Oct 7, 2019

Opening statements in penalty phase of ‘Hollywood Ripper’ trial

OCT. 7, 2019

"...During his opening statement in the penalty phase, Akemon said 11 women had been attacked in some fashion by Gargiulo, including a teenage neighbor he threatened at knifepoint, a female jailer who stood in the way of the defendant’s escape, and two women who would testify to being raped by him.

"`There are no less than 11 different women who have become the targets of Mr. Gargiulo’s violence,” the prosecutor said. ”He’s a sadistic, thrill-seeking psychopath. He kills and maims for his own personal pleasure.”

Rubin told jurors that Gargiulo suffers from mental illness, which should exclude him from being sentenced to death.

“The district attorney called Mr. Gargiulo a serial killer. The district attorney called Mr. Gargiulo a psychopath. The district attorney called Mr. Gargiulo psychotic. These are mental issues,” Rubin told the panel. ”In this country we don’t execute the mentally ill.”..."

Opening statements in penalty phase of 'Hollywood Ripper' trial

Jury hears emotional testimony as penalty phase of 'Hollywood Ripper' trial underway (with clip)

October 8, 2019

"LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- The fate of convicted serial killer Michael Gargiulo rests in the hands of a jury who on Monday heard wrenching testimony from family members of the victims....

In the coming week, the prosecution will present testimony about 11 other women who have been targets of Gargiulo's violence."

Jury hears emotional testimony as penalty phase of 'Hollywood Ripper' trial underway
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Survivor Recalls Attack in Death Penalty Trial of Man Convicted of Killing Ashton Kutcher's Friend

October 8, 2019

"Michelle Murphy still remembers the confusion she was feeling the night she was attacked by a knife-wielding assailant in her Santa Monica home in 2008...."

Survivor Recalls Attack in Death Penalty Trial of Man Convicted of Killing Ashton Kutcher's Friend

Trial Attorney Bob Hille Says If Evidence Was Strong Enough To Convict In Trial But Had Some Issues, Penalty Phase Could Go Well For Defendant

Oct 9, 2019

Law & Crime Network‏Verified account @LawCrimeNetwork 5h5 hours ago
#HollywoodRipper - Sentencing phase continued today with Maria Bruno's husband first on the stand giving a victim impact statement. This is the look Gargiulo gave Bruno's husband as he left the stand. You can watch all of today's proceedings on our YouTube channel this evening

EGin_hiU0AAasoG.jpg

Cathy Russon‏ @cathyrusson 2h2 hours ago

#HollywoodRipper - Michael Gargiulo's 16-year-old son just testified. He begged the jury, through tears, "Please don't kill my dad." We were not allowed to have video or audio of the son. Gargiulo has been convicted of killing 2 women and attempting to kill a 3rd.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hollywood Ripper Penalty Phase Victim Impact Statement, Irving Bruno & Dr Dianne Castellano

Oct 10, 2019

Hollywood Ripper Penalty Phase - Dr Dianne Castellano Part 2

Oct 10, 2019

Teenage Son of 'Hollywood Ripper' Doesn't Want Father Executed

October 10, 2019

"The teenage son of the man dubbed the "Hollywood Ripper" told jurors Thursday that he doesn't want his father to be executed for the grisly slayings of two women.

Michael Gargiulo's 16-year-old son told the Los Angeles Superior Court panel that is being asked to recommend whether the defendant should be sentenced to death or life in prison without the possibility of parole that it's important for him to have his father as part of his life.

"I feel like I need him ... I don't want my dad to be killed," the teen said in emotional testimony. "I don't see a psychopath. I don't see a murderer. All I see is (my) father."

The defendant's son acknowledged that a lot of bad things had been said about his father, but said he felt his dad had qualities that were important to him...."

Son of 'Hollywood Ripper' Doesn't Want Father Executed

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaximusWolff
Back