CA CA - Jennifer Wilmer, 21, Willow Creek, 13 Sept 1993

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I came across this forum thread when I was looking up info on a different missing person, Shawn Hale:

http://deepcreekhotsprings.net/dchs/forum/read.php?1,23938,23938#msg-23938

Shawn Hale has been named as a possible ID for the UID Grateful Dead fan who was killed in a car accident in Virginia--there's a whole subforum on WS for that case:

Grateful Dead Fan - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Now, I don't think that Shawn Hale has anything to do with Jennifer's case, so I'm not trying to imply anything there. There are a number of similarities to Jennifer's case: he was apparently a Grateful Dead fan, and he went missing in California in 1994. And the "Sweet Pea" part of the thread starting post I linked above seems to be a nickname he went by. However, he went missing from way further south, about 10 hours away from where Jennifer was last seen...and I don't think anyone was going around California randomly kidnapping Grateful Dead fans in the 90s. So then why am I bringing it up, you ask? Because...if you look at the thread listed at the top of this post, there seems to be some pretty forthright discussion of various people and shady doings on the periphery of the "growing" community at the time of his disappearance. So it seems like the board is open to discussing a wide variety of topics, even though it appears to have been set up as a discussion board for people interested in skinny-dipping in various hot springs in the area. (In fact, there's a "full moon countdown" timer on the site, since I guess a full moon is best for skinny dipping. Haha! *rim shot*) Anyway, even though we're talking about disappearances from two towns pretty far apart, I think that somewhere in the interlocking Venn diagram circles of "Grateful Dead fans," "skinny-dippers," "pot growers," and "crunchy granola hippies with nicknames," there may be some overlap. And even though that thread seems pretty heavy on the gossip and rumor, the board might be a place to poke around for information to see if anyone might know or remember anything about Jennifer or anyone associated with her time in California. Plus, the initial thread was started in late 2013, with the last post being in January of this year, so it looks like it's a fairly active board, and maybe we'd get a response from someone who was in the general area in the 1990s and might help point us toward something helpful.

Maybe someone with more gumption than me *cough*MysticJynx*cough* wants to register and make a plea for information over there?

I came across this forum thread when I was looking up info on a different missing person, Shawn Hale:

Shawn Hale has been named as a possible ID for the UID Grateful Dead fan who was killed in a car accident in Virginia--there's a whole subforum on WS for that case:

Now, I don't think that Shawn Hale has anything to do with Jennifer's case, so I'm not trying to imply anything there. There are a number of similarities to Jennifer's case: he was apparently a Grateful Dead fan, and he went missing in California in 1994. And the "Sweet Pea" part of the thread starting post I linked above seems to be a nickname he went by. However, he went missing from way further south, about 10 hours away from where Jennifer was last seen...and I don't think anyone was going around California randomly kidnapping Grateful Dead fans in the 90s. So then why am I bringing it up, you ask? Because...if you look at the thread listed at the top of this post, there seems to be some pretty forthright discussion of various people and shady doings on the periphery of the "growing" community at the time of his disappearance. So it seems like the board is open to discussing a wide variety of topics, even though it appears to have been set up as a discussion board for people interested in skinny-dipping in various hot springs in the area. (In fact, there's a "full moon countdown" timer on the site, since I guess a full moon is best for skinny dipping. Haha! *rim shot*) Anyway, even though we're talking about disappearances from two towns pretty far apart, I think that somewhere in the interlocking Venn diagram circles of "Grateful Dead fans," "skinny-dippers," "pot growers," and "crunchy granola hippies with nicknames," there may be some overlap. And even though that thread seems pretty heavy on the gossip and rumor, the board might be a place to poke around for information to see if anyone might know or remember anything about Jennifer or anyone associated with her time in California. Plus, the initial thread was started in late 2013, with the last post being in January of this year, so it looks like it's a fairly active board, and maybe we'd get a response from someone who was in the general area in the 1990s and might help point us toward something helpful.

Maybe someone with more gumption than me *cough*MysticJynx*cough* wants to register and make a plea for information over there?

Me? I'm a :chicken: lmao I have no gumption. laughs. I will look into it tho.

OT, but currently missing in Humboldt. In the past couple of months, three young women have gone missing in the Fortuna area of Humboldt county.

Danielle Bertolini and Sheila Sherrell Franks went missing within a week of each other in January/February. It's not known if they knew each other, but they had friends in common.

CA CA - Danielle Nicole Brooks, 23, Fortuna, 29 Jan 2014 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

CA CA - Sheila Franks, 37, Fortuna, 11 Jan 2014 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Shannon Paige Sundberg did not return home to Weott from an evening doctor appointment in the Fortuna area yesterday.

CA CA - Shannon Paige Sundberg, 33, Weott, 10 April 2014 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Today is Jennifer Wilmer's Birthday. I hope her family comes back soon.

Looked into that deep creek. And don't think she would have been that far south. Good information though for those looking into Shawn Hale.

For Jennifer they need to start back with the 4 people she lived with. Of course one of them being unable to answer questions now. I hope they are able to ask them of the other three, sooner rather than later.

OT, but currently missing in Humboldt. In the past couple of months, three young women have gone missing in the Fortuna area of Humboldt county.

Danielle Bertolini and Sheila Sherrell Franks went missing within a week of each other in January/February. It's not known if they knew each other, but they had friends in common.

CA CA - Danielle Nicole Brooks, 23, Fortuna, 29 Jan 2014 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

CA CA - Sheila Franks, 37, Fortuna, 11 Jan 2014 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Shannon Paige Sundberg did not return home to Weott from an evening doctor appointment in the Fortuna area yesterday.

CA CA - Shannon Paige Sundberg, 33, Weott, 10 April 2014 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Shannon was located safe.

I'm going to check it out. I think Dead message boards would be a good place to seek information. I know a couple of people who were active in the late 80's/90's Dead scene. A lot of people criss-crossed the country for shows so it's not unlikely that people heard about Jennifer.

I'll be going to visit my family in Willow Creek next month. Not sure if I can do anything, I doubt there's a library, you should see the "post office" - it's really the only town landmark, blink on Rt. 299 and you'll miss it.
I'll definitely be thinking of Jennifer.
The nearest towns are full of such transient populations, I'd be lucky to see the same person two summers in a row, much less someone from 20 plus years ago.
This is a tough one, since it's so close to my home, I want to help. I'd never heard of Jennifer's case until I saw it at WS. Going home won't be the same this year, that's for sure.

Hey everyone I'm sorry I haven't posted on here in a while but I've been reading all the threads and I'm blown away by how caring all of you are and how releived it makes to know that there are people who realize that this case just doesn't add up and there are a lot of unanswered questions. I was only only 6 years old when Jennifer went missing so I'm also just learning a lot of details about the case as I do my own research. My aunt has her own theories that she would like me to keep between us. But personally I don't belive them to be too promising. Some of you have even found articles that I haven't seen yet so thank you all so much!

Jess, I tried to reply to your PM but your inbox is full.

I knew Jade (aka Jennifer). By the time she went missing she was hanging out with a whole new crew of people I never met. I am in a Grateful Dead group where there is a thread about her with people who were there and knew "Cowboy". My eyes are still weird and puffy from crying for about 4 hours last night after they told me to "calm the **** down" and accused me of interrogating them.
My grief from my missing brother and grief for Jade get intertwined and overwhelming sometimes.

I was begging them to come here and shed any light possible... I have no idea why they wouldn't so even though I was out of that whole scene when she went missing I will try to help and will try to relay the answers I was able to squeeze out.

I am going to call her Jade because that's all I knew her as, and that's what she wanted to be called. She was Jade when I met her, years before she went missing.
I actually assumed it was her real name, had no idea she had ever even been named Jennifer. I think she decided to go by Jade for the same reason a lot of hippies change their name: they just want a more unique, personal name than a normal name thousands of other people have.

I met her from Dead shows. She was several years older than me (I was very young, left home and went on tour at 14). She was one of my favorite people on tour. I was one of the people who once camped at her parents house when there was a show in town. We hooked up later on the West coast when Jerry was sick and shows had been canceled. We hitched up and down the west coast together, mostly between Arcata, CA and Ashland, Or. We camped together. We sewed together. We got lice and killed our lice together. She was one of the happiest, sweetest people ever. She had a GIANT, gorgeous smile, she was like a shining light. She was soft spoken and gentle like a lamb.
We eventually parted ways, I was getting sick of being on the streets, I went back east...(only to find that my horrible "parents" did not have anywhere for me to stay besides the freezing tool shed, so then left to shows again).

I saw her again some time later at another Dead show. She did tell me she was sad (will share private details why with her family). But I thought it was something she would get though.
That was the last time I saw her. Then I heard through the grapevine that she went missing while hitchhiking (which broke my heart to no end as we use to hitch that same area together).

So ok, you guys can move on from why did the roommates shave their dreads: hippies constantly shave their dreads, it's really not a strange thing at all. Lice, needing to get jobs, just getting sick of them, or cutting off the past "bad energy". I am very, very sure that her roommates definitely did not cut their dreads to hide anything.

Apparently the FBI did find "Happiness" and did question him about "Cowboy Fred". From what I can gather Happiness let "Cowboy" stay at his place in Arcata and feels sick about it. A bunch of people think Cowboy is responsible for Jade's disappearance. They say he was totally obsessed with her and could never stop talking about how much he liked her. And that when she disappeared is when he disappeared and has also never been seen again. Cowboy was an older Vietnam vet.
I keep asking where he was from, if there are pictures of him or of anyone has helped an artist do a composite sketch of his face but no one has answer me.

People who saw her last say she was happy. They think Cowboy got her or some psycho picked her up hitchhiking.

Some people seem to be confused by the notion that she was dating anyone (Tro Patterson) and say they thought she was single at the time, so I'm not sure how serious that relationship was. And I didn't get anywhere with my questions.

While the roommates might be non-proactive in answering questions, I seriously do not think they had anything to do with it, and think it was someone who got her hitchhiking.

The Farm she was going to was not a pot farm, it was a legit food farm. Apparently she had gotten a job there. Her note states it was her first day.

The note is kind of weird how it starts "Bye Everyone" and says "Hopefully see you folks later" - but it probably just means that transportation wasn't a sure thing and she didn't know when she be making it back or she could have just been being cute/funny... she probably left her ID and stuff because having your ID back then wasn't a big deal...

I think the best lead is finding out who Cowboy was.

Hopefully people who knew him will come her to shed any light possible.

So ok, you guys can move on from why did the roommates shave their dreads: hippies constantly shave their dreads, it's really not a strange thing at all. Lice, needing to get jobs, just getting sick of them, or cutting off the past "bad energy". I am very, very sure that her roommates definitely did not cut their dreads to hide anything.

Apparently the FBI did find "Happiness" and did question him about "Cowboy Fred". From what I can gather Happiness let "Cowboy" stay at his place in Arcata and feels sick about it. A bunch of people think Cowboy is responsible for Jade's disappearance. They say he was totally obsessed with her and could never stop talking about how much he liked her. And that when she disappeared is when he disappeared and has also never been seen again. Cowboy was an older Vietnam vet.
I keep asking where he was from, if there are pictures of him or of anyone has helped an artist do a composite sketch of his face but no one has answer me.

People who saw her last say she was happy. They think Cowboy got her or some psycho picked her up hitchhiking.

The only reason the Cutting of the dreads to me seems off. I can see there are many reasons for a hippy to cut off their dreads the one that bothers me is to GET RID OF BAD ENERGY! Just seems like the timing to do so is suspicious. Had I been a cop on the case I would see this as a sign of hiding something. Awfully convenient to be cutting off BAD ENERGY right after she went missing. With them my theory is drug overdose and scared high kids not knowing what to do so they disposed of her. The note that mentioned Mingo by name and that he was leaving for a few months is also suspicious to me. Does anyone know if he was ever questioned?

As for the Cowboy Fred. I too suspected him but there has been little information about him. Thank you for the lead. Knowing hes been missing too since 1993 might help me. You have said he was staying with happiness, which makes me think he wasn't a local. I have been looking into the Cowboy Fred lead. looking for Freds in the area that are no longer there since 1993. I found one Fred with PO BOX addresses only in the area. The po box was listed till Dec 1993. Wonder if this is the Fred. I am trying to find out if there is any other public info on him and where he may have gone. That will be part of my research today.

Then there is the hitchhiking lead, Someone she didnt know or didnt know well and got into their vehicle. (as I cant see her accepting a ride from Cowboy Fred had he stopped for her) There was a man, A local one who would pick up women hitchhikers, Sometimes keeping them hostage, and in one instance the murder of a missing woman from 1988. This info didn't come out till 2010, 4 years after this man had been deceased. If you look up Lysandra Turpin and Ernest S. Christie Jr., He would be one of my top suspects. Seems likely he is guilty of a lot more than we may ever know. Including his Wife Claire whom also went missing in 1977, from off his boat supposedly. From 1977-2006 is a long time.

I just hope that if the family does want to reopen the case that they have enough to do so. As well as bring her home from where ever she may be. No one deserves to be lost.

If it had been an overdose, these are the type of people that would have called 911. I know in my heart that thinking about their dreads is a waste of time. Anyone in shock of mourning their friend that just went missing would probably participate in a dread shaving. I remember whole groups of friends would often shave their dreads together even under normal circumstances. One person decides to then their friends decide to too while the razor is out. It's not suspicious. It's the only one possible thing to do with dreads.
You know that feeling when life is kind of crazy and you really want to take a shower and brush the tangles out of your hair?
I just can't imagine how she would have even got bloody from an overdose and then everyone in the house goes and rubs their dreads in her blood. And if there had been blood in their dreads, there would have been blood on lots of other stuff.

Also it seems that the people who were there have already been questioned with lie detectors tests by the FBI.

Apparently she was happy when she left the house on foot at 8am to to walk a 1/4 mile to Hwy 299 to hitchhike to her job at Willow Creek Farms and was never seen again.

There was a man who had been creeping everyone out with how obsessed he was with her. It sounds like he had been stalking her, following her around the plaza and whatnot. He "never stopped talking about her". He disappeared when she disappeared...

Find Cowboy Fred.

I have been looking into the Cowboy Fred lead. looking for Freds in the area that are no longer there since 1993. I found one Fred with PO BOX addresses only in the area. The po box was listed till Dec 1993. Wonder if this is the Fred.

After going missing in Sept, his PO Box could have very well have run out in Dec as PO Boxes are usually paid for in 6 and 12 month increments...

After going missing in Sept, his PO Box could have very well have run out in Dec as PO Boxes are usually paid for in 6 and 12 month increments...

Here is a question you may be able to answer. When did Jade move from Arcata to Hawkins Bar? Do you have an exact date. From what I know it was end of summer. That could be August or September. Did she move August 1st, 15th, 31st? How long exactly did she live at that house in Trinity Co.

Then You say Cowboy Fred went missing too around the same time Jade did. Does anyone have an exact date when he was last seen? Was it the day before or after she went missing that he was last seen? Weeks? Did Cowboy Fred know she had moved and to where? And did he own a vehicle, Would have to have access to one to pick her up hitch hiking. Was he out in forest waiting for an opportunity to play out his obsessions? She never did make it to the farm.

Looking into the man who may be Cowboy and I may have found something. However I need a little more information.

Jess, I tried to reply to your PM but your inbox is full.

I knew Jade (aka Jennifer). By the time she went missing she was hanging out with a whole new crew of people I never met. I am in a Grateful Dead group where there is a thread about her with people who were there and knew "Cowboy". My eyes are still weird and puffy from crying for about 4 hours last night after they told me to "calm the **** down" and accused me of interrogating them.
My grief from my missing brother and grief for Jade get intertwined and overwhelming sometimes.

I was begging them to come here and shed any light possible... I have no idea why they wouldn't so even though I was out of that whole scene when she went missing I will try to help and will try to relay the answers I was able to squeeze out.

I am going to call her Jade because that's all I knew her as, and that's what she wanted to be called. She was Jade when I met her, years before she went missing.
I actually assumed it was her real name, had no idea she had ever even been named Jennifer. I think she decided to go by Jade for the same reason a lot of hippies change their name: they just want a more unique, personal name than a normal name thousands of other people have.

I met her from Dead shows. She was several years older than me (I was very young, left home and went on tour at 14). She was one of my favorite people on tour. I was one of the people who once camped at her parents house when there was a show in town. We hooked up later on the West coast when Jerry was sick and shows had been canceled. We hitched up and down the west coast together, mostly between Arcata, CA and Ashland, Or. We camped together. We sewed together. We got lice and killed our lice together. She was one of the happiest, sweetest people ever. She had a GIANT, gorgeous smile, she was like a shining light. She was soft spoken and gentle like a lamb.
We eventually parted ways, I was getting sick of being on the streets, I went back east...(only to find that my horrible "parents" did not have anywhere for me to stay besides the freezing tool shed, so then left to shows again).

I saw her again some time later at another Dead show. She did tell me she was sad (will share private details why with her family). But I thought it was something she would get though.
That was the last time I saw her. Then I heard through the grapevine that she went missing while hitchhiking (which broke my heart to no end as we use to hitch that same area together).

Some people seem to be confused by the notion that she was dating anyone (Tro Patterson) and say they thought she was single at the time, so I'm not sure how serious that relationship was. And I didn't get anywhere with my questions.

While the roommates might be non-proactive in answering questions, I seriously do not think they had anything to do with it, and think it was someone who got her hitchhiking.

The Farm she was going to was not a pot farm, it was a legit food farm. Apparently she had gotten a job there. Her note states it was her first day.

The note is kind of weird how it starts "Bye Everyone" and says "Hopefully see you folks later" - but it probably just means that transportation wasn't a sure thing and she didn't know when she be making it back or she could have just been being cute/funny... she probably left her ID and stuff because having your ID back then wasn't a big deal...

I think the best lead is finding out who Cowboy was.

Hopefully people who knew him will come her to shed any light possible.

Thanks for posting! Wow it's great to hear from someone who knew Jennifer/Jade.

Hey everyone I'm sorry I haven't posted on here in a while but I've been reading all the threads and I'm blown away by how caring all of you are and how releived it makes to know that there are people who realize that this case just doesn't add up and there are a lot of unanswered questions. I was only only 6 years old when Jennifer went missing so I'm also just learning a lot of details about the case as I do my own research. My aunt has her own theories that she would like me to keep between us. But personally I don't belive them to be too promising. Some of you have even found articles that I haven't seen yet so thank you all so much!

It's good to see you again Jess. :seeya: I'm glad you're back. Yes, there have been some dedicated researchers on this thread. And now we have Jennifer/Jade's friend Sky's Sister adding insight and details. Thank you! And welcome, Sky's Sister. :seeya: I'm very sorry about your losses.

Let's find Cowboy Fred!

I was just doing a little math about how old Cowboy Fred might have been in 1993. If he served in Vietnam in the mid-60's when he was about 18, he would have been 46. If he served at 18 as the war was ending in 1975, he might have been about 36, but no younger than that. So he could have been born between the early 1940's and the mid 50's, no later than about 1957. Now he is somewhere between his late 50's and late 60's/early 70's approximately. Or dead.

Maybe Sky's Sister can narrow down what "older Vietnam Vet" means. I recall thinking mid 30's was ancient when I was young. :)

A little OT, but since the Grateful Dead came up here recently, it's been a trip down memory lane for me. My husband and I (married less than a year then) lived in Haight Ashbury in 1967 during the "Summer of Love" about a block away from the Dead. We were at the Summer Solstice concert in Golden Gate Park in June where they played, along with Big Brother and Quicksilver. I found this photo online of the very young Dead at the corner of Haight and Ashbury. We were only there from June through September, but we got to see so many bands for free in the park. Big Brother practiced in a garage just up the block from us, and I remember peeking in the crack in the door and seeing Janis Joplin. Forgive me for name-dropping, but it was a rather amazing time to be young. :)

https://s-media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/originals/88/e6/27/88e627b60b3087968f7b2706f17f4596.jpg

I was just doing a little math about how old Cowboy Fred might have been in 1993. If he served in Vietnam in the mid-60's when he was about 18, he would have been 46. If he served at 18 as the war was ending in 1975, he might have been about 36, but no younger than that. So he could have been born between the early 1940's and the mid 50's, no later than about 1957. Now he is somewhere between his late 50's and late 60's/early 70's approximately. Or dead.

Maybe Sky's Sister can narrow down what "older Vietnam Vet" means. I recall thinking mid 30's was ancient when I was young. :)

I was working on leads for Cowboy Fred found through public records. I have found one. His birth is not listed and the PO Box stops in Dec 1993 in Arcata. He also had two others. One in independence CA from 90-95 and one in Blue Lake, CA, in 1984. I found Independence is in the middle of what seems like no where also. During 1988 the same name was living out of Sacramento with relatives. I have not been able to find anything more on this name. Which leads me to believe that he went by Fred. "Cowboy Fred" But the middle initial is actually his first one and Fred is his middle name.

With his known history of obsessing over Jade/Jennifer, I find him suspicious too. However just because someone is obsessed doesn't make them guilty of a crime. Which makes me wonder when he left town. Was it when she moved to Hawkins bar, And when exactly was that? Or was he seen in the area up until the date she disappeared. Could he have just moved on to another city or even home after his obsession left moved? Or did he know she had just moved to Trinity Co. I can't see her sending him a "HEY I MOVED" card with her new address.

I still think it was someone local and someone with history there. Like the man who was known not only to be on drugs and crazy But is now listed as the murderer of Lysandra Turpin who had gone missing in 1988. Ernest Samuel Christie Jr. He is dead now. Thing that irritated me most about this man. Is it was said he held her hostage for like 6-8 weeks before killing her in early June of 1988. http://www.times-standard.com/ci_14842961 And shortly after that another woman went missing from the area in June 1988. He was also accused of keeping women hostage that got free. One escaped from his boat after being told she wouldn't be coming back. Another one from a hollowed out tree near his place in Fieldbrook CA. There just may be more in this mans past. His wife also went missing from his boat in 1977. That is 30 years of past that is questionable and how many missing women?

It very well could have been Christie. He certainly has a history. The trouble is he's dead. If Fred is still alive, he might have some answers. Good work on tracking him until 1995. Yes, Independence is in the middle of nowhere along Hiway 395 east of the Sierras. How did you figure out his name? Did I miss it on the thread?

I was working on leads for Cowboy Fred found through public records. I have found one. His birth is not listed and the PO Box stops in Dec 1993 in Arcata. He also had two others. One in independence CA from 90-95 and one in Blue Lake, CA, in 1984. I found Independence is in the middle of what seems like no where also. During 1988 the same name was living out of Sacramento with relatives. I have not been able to find anything more on this name. Which leads me to believe that he went by Fred. "Cowboy Fred" But the middle initial is actually his first one and Fred is his middle name.

With his known history of obsessing over Jade/Jennifer, I find him suspicious too. However just because someone is obsessed doesn't make them guilty of a crime. Which makes me wonder when he left town. Was it when she moved to Hawkins bar, And when exactly was that? Or was he seen in the area up until the date she disappeared. Could he have just moved on to another city or even home after his obsession left moved? Or did he know she had just moved to Trinity Co. I can't see her sending him a "HEY I MOVED" card with her new address.

I still think it was someone local and someone with history there. Like the man who was known not only to be on drugs and crazy But is now listed as the murderer of Lysandra Turpin who had gone missing in 1988. Ernest Samuel Christie Jr. He is dead now. Thing that irritated me most about this man. Is it was said he held her hostage for like 6-8 weeks before killing her in early June of 1988. http://www.times-standard.com/ci_14842961 And shortly after that another woman went missing from the area in June 1988. He was also accused of keeping women hostage that got free. One escaped from his boat after being told she wouldn't be coming back. Another one from a hollowed out tree near his place in Fieldbrook CA. There just may be more in this mans past. His wife also went missing from his boat in 1977. That is 30 years of past that is questionable and how many missing women?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lotsofelbowd
Back