CA CA - Jennifer Wilmer, 21, Willow Creek, 13 Sept 1993

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I just saw a case about a young woman, Kristen Laurite, who was murdered at a rest stop in Arkansas. She reminded me of Jennifer Wilmer, another petite free spirit with dreads. It turns out Laurite's killer also murdered 2 women in California previously-Ronald James Ward. I wonder where he was in September of 1993? The other perps I can come up with are speed freak killers and Richard Allen Davis, who murdered Polly Klaas just a few weeks after Jennifer's disappearance.
Jennifer's mother was frustrated with the police for not doing enough to find Jennifer. It's possible that these perps were never considered in her case since the police thought she was a walk away to begin with. I doubt she walked all the way to the ocean and just fell in, someone knows something!
I wish this case would garner some interest-Main Street Mysteries, Disappeared, etc. Maybe some tips would come in?
Jennifer left her apartment with the intent of coming back, as she didn't have a backpack or sleeping bag with her. She went in the direction of the farm that was hiring workers and literally disappeared off the face of the earth. There are so many questions that are unanswered. I have never read anything about the owners of this farm, who they were, if they were questioned. It's hard to track people in this case, as a lot of the Deadheads and drifters used adopted names. Her boyfriend at the time passed away a few years ago, and I've never seen her room mates names' published anywhere.
I think this case is solvable, but how? So many years have passed that memories fade and people pass away. I really think it may be a matter of the police taking a look or another look at some of these already known perps from the area.

You mentioned a couple of serial killers in your post. I wonder if they are alive and if they would talk to LE about Jennifer. I think this case deserves some fresh eyes looking at it by LE and us. It's many years ago, but I'm sure people will remember when Jennifer disappeared. It's a matter of rounding them up to interview them again. I'm sorry we don't have the boyfriend with us to answer some questions about his relationship with Jennifer. Perhaps someone close to the couple, roomates or friends? Strange that she left her ID in the home. Are they saying that she went on a job interview but never made it to the interview? How did she travel there on foot, bus, a ride? She didn't have a car? How long a trip was it and what type of environment was she in? Was it country, woods etc.? Was the area searched? How long can dogs pick up human scent?

If Jennifer is alive, I hope she sees these posts and calls home. If she is deceased, I hope the family can find out where she is and can bring her home.

Best of luck on this case.

I am so glad Jennifer's case is a featured case.
I wish the roommates could be found. They may have some ideas about what happened.
When I first read about this case, I really thought it was a random abduction.
I thought maybe a known perp had something to do with it, especially a serial killer who was living in Arcata-his last name was Ford and he was caught around 1998. I'm not sure if he was completely ruled out.
Now that Jennifer's cousin JessMilone has brought to light Jennifer's boyfriend's suicide, it really takes another direction for me.
I wonder who his new girlfriend was and if she can be found. There are many questions hanging in the air on this one.

Here is the note Jennifer left before leaving for the farm. Apparently she was going to walk from Hawkin's Bar west toward Willow Creek/Arcata. If you google map the main road, you can see it's a logging type road with dense trees on either side.
Clipped from "Long Island's Lost Girls" article.

So at 7:30 in the morning on Monday, Sept. 13, Jennifer set out to hitchhike the nine miles into "town" along Rt. 299. She left a note to her roommates:

Bye everybody,

Went to my 1st day at the farm. Wish me luck! Good luck to you, Mingo and see you in a few months. If someone could give food to the kitten as needed I'd appreciate it. Hopefully I'll see you folks later

YJade

Was this note handwritten. I would have it check by an expert. I'm repearing myself but can dogs pick up a scent 20 years later? Is there money to hire a PI? Interview the girlfriend of Jennifer's boyfriend, maybe she can shed some light on the boyfriends problems. What caused the suicide?

I'm repearing myself but can dogs pick up a scent 20 years later?

Interesting question, that's what I found:

How long is scent viable? The truth is, scientifically, no one knows for sure. Estimates based on prior successes worked by search dogs can be made. The majority of successful scent trails that have been worked reveal that the oldest successful trails are about ten to twelve days old. In general, most search-and-rescue trailing dogs are unable to do accurate work on scent trails that are older than seven days. It’s important to keep in mind that scent trails in residential areas that are contaminated with other animal scents, people scents, and auto traffic are more difficult to work compared to a week old scent in a cool, damp forest. Scent has a better chance of surviving in dark, damp, and cool areas compared to open ground on pavement. Scent can also be moved or destroyed by wind currents, passing cars, and sunlight that dries it out.

Source: www.helpfindlostpets.com/blog/scent/how-long-can-scent-trail-survive#sthash.zPdvYAiq.dpuf

The oldest documented scent trail that we could uncover in our research is detailed in the book The Complete Bloodhound by Catherine Brey and Lena Reed. The authors write about how "a new record in mantrailing was established" when a Bloodhound handler named Norman Wilson and his three Bloodhounds (Doc Holiday, Queen Guinevere, and Big Nose Kate) successfully tracked a scent trail of three missing people lost in the "wet, dense forests of Western Oregon." By the time Wilson worked his hounds, the scent trail was 322 hours (thirteen days) old. His hounds led Wilson to the bodies of the missing hikers.

Source: www.missingpetpartnership.org/petdetective-scent.php

For more information, just google after "how long can scent survive" or "how long can dogs pick up a scent".

Was this note handwritten. I would have it check by an expert. I'm repearing myself but can dogs pick up a scent 20 years later? Is there money to hire a PI? Interview the girlfriend of Jennifer's boyfriend, maybe she can shed some light on the boyfriends problems. What caused the suicide?

I agree with you about hiring a PI. A PI could track down and re-interview the roommates and anyone else Jennifer would have had contact with around that time. From the sounds of the area she disappeared - there is a lot of area where a body could be that might never be found. I sincerely hope the family will get the answers they need.

I don't know if LE has looked at the serial killers from that time in the area. There was one living in Arcata who preyed on hitchikers but it was determined he was out of the area at the time. I wonder if they are 100% sure on that.
Jennifer's family did hire a PI not long after she vanished but I have not seen any information reported about what he found or if he is able to discuss anything publicly.
I read a comment on another missing persons website that someone called in a tip about Jennifer in 2011. This person had a feeling their original tip was not recorded and sure enough, it wasn't. I don't know if I can link to that but you can find it thru Google.

The reason I say that hiring PI is that years later people sometimes feel more freely to speak or may remember something that didn't seem important at the time. I have been watching Cold Justice on TNT - and they have solved so many cold cases by re-interviewing people years later. Actually- maybe LE should go back and reinterview. JMO.

The reason I say that hiring PI is that years later people sometimes feel more freely to speak or may remember something that didn't seem important at the time. I have been watching Cold Justice on TNT - and they have solved so many cold cases by re-interviewing people years later. Actually- maybe LE should go back and reinterview. JMO.

Yes, I agree with you 100%. New PI and fresh interviews could really help here.

Found in Jan 1994 in Santa Cruz, CA this 12-18 year old white female is estimated to be five foot weighing 110 Lbs. Little information except clothing: "1) Cotton pullover sweater w/ ribbed neck,cuffs and bottom, sized "large". 100% cotton, beige horizontal floral design (flowers in red and blue) Brand "LiaWear" 2) Medium sized black sweatpants w/side pockets. "Gap Sport" brand."

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/2261?page=case_information

I was wondering the same thing about the note-it does seem strange. I wonder if Jennifer's mom saw it and verified it was Jennifer's handwriting. I don't know why she wouldn't take anything with her to this farm. The note makes it sound like she wouldn't be back right away, so why wouldn't she take a backpack, ID, anything with her? As for the death of the younger brother of Tro Patterson, that is new to me, I hadn't come across that. There is a lot of strange stuff surrounding this case for sure.

brother of tro david patterson. Jay Taylor Patterson. Taylor Patterson March 8, 1976 - November 9, 2006 It is with great sorrow to inform the many friends of Taylor Patterson that he passed away in Chicago on November 9th, 2006. Taylor attended Marin Catholic and Redwood High Schools and graduated from the University of Arizona in 1998. In his thirty short years, he made many close friendships due to his gentle manner and non-judgmental love for all things. Taylor was a very talented writer and artist. He excelled in tennis, golf and many other sports. He is survived by his loving parents Jeanie Patterson and Jay Patterson, his grandmother Claire Patterson and the true love of his life, his eight month old son Niko. In addition to his loving aunt, Mary E. Tatter and his special uncle, David Tomlinson, he is survived by several very caring cousins. A memorial service is being planned in the following weeks. In memory of Taylor, contributions may be made to your local Humane Society. - See more at: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/ma...r-Patterson&pid=19945104#sthash.BOvwNSUD.dpuf Doesn't explain how he died. just That he was well liked gentle and loving. Seems he was close to an aunt and uncle, more so then his parents? Wonders how Tro was brought up? Maybe he was from an abusive home and repaid Jennifer with the same kindness. Still want to know what reason did Jennifer's mom have to set up the ticket out of CA? Is the cousin still with the discussion? Would love to know more about what the PI found out and/or what notes he had on the case that we do not have access too online.[/QUOTE]

I don't know if this is particularly helpful but I found an obit for TDP here:

http://extras.marinij.com/obituaries.html

*Also, Is the name and address for "the farm" provided here... maybe I've overlooked it??

Found in Jan 1994 in Santa Cruz, CA this 12-18 year old white female is estimated to be five foot weighing 110 Lbs. Little information except clothing: "1) Cotton pullover sweater w/ ribbed neck,cuffs and bottom, sized "large". 100% cotton, beige horizontal floral design (flowers in red and blue) Brand "LiaWear" 2) Medium sized black sweatpants w/side pockets. "Gap Sport" brand."

Wish they could come up with a composite sketch. One other thing - says this girls hair is 2" in length. IIRC Jennifer had dreads. A composite would help. Whether its her or not - this was a very young girl- someone must be looking for her.

Sorry, recently identified as Kori Lamaster:

http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/sa...z-police-identify-pogonip-jane-pacifica-woman

I just read the following website provided concerned Jennifer Wilmer. http://billyjensen.com/wp-content/themes/billjensen/pdfs/crime_stories/dark_star.pdf
It has given me some background information. I feel that we need to reach the people that had the farm that Jennifer was seemingly heading towards. As well, it would be good to make contact with the old house mates as well. The website was valuable as I am way up in the north of Saskatchewan, Canada. It gives me some sense of orientation. I hope that other websleuthers get involved. We need a good time line as well, with all the evil characters around that area with an appropriate placement on the time line.

I don't know if LE has looked at the serial killers from that time in the area. There was one living in Arcata who preyed on hitchikers but it was determined he was out of the area at the time. I wonder if they are 100% sure on that.
Jennifer's family did hire a PI not long after she vanished but I have not seen any information reported about what he found or if he is able to discuss anything publicly.
I read a comment on another missing persons website that someone called in a tip about Jennifer in 2011. This person had a feeling their original tip was not recorded and sure enough, it wasn't. I don't know if I can link to that but you can find it thru Google.

Found that comment posted to a tarot card reading done on Jennifer, http://empathysinsights.blogspot.com/2011/09/jennifer-marie-wilmer.html
The comment was listed by an Anonymous:
Jade will never be forgotten, and I pray the truth comes out finally.
I phoned in my tip many years ago, and something pushed me to check again after all this time. It turns out that my tip wasn't recorded, so I know that is the reason why I kept thinking about calling in again. Today 12/07/11- I know that my tip and thoughts have been recorded by the lead Detective and maybe just maybe they will help in ANY WAY!
There are theories and rumors, but I have a gut feeling, it could be wrong, but what if its not?

Im still curious about the Christie Connection. A man accused of being a torturer to not only his son but to women, including a murder and cover up. I doubt that he stopped. I think his wife was his first. As a fisherman commercially does this mean he and his boat had access up and down the coast? And the comment being Lost at Sea makes me think after he battered her he dumped her off his boat. Being as there is not even a record of her death, I assume she should be in any of the databases for Doe's, Missing, or even death record. NOTHING. There are many remains unidentified found in California and wonder if any can be linked to Mrs. Claire Christie missing since 1977. If bones in the system can be linked to her maybe that would start off a general area where he started his dumping grounds. Not to mention the areas surrounding his homes. Considering he was listed as having more than one. from Feb 1988- Jan 2004 he is listed as living on Manzanita Ave, Eureka, CA. [modsnip] They said something about the community being known with nicknames. So what was ES JR's nickname? He was a known meth abuser? What else did the police do when Sam lead them to the body of the 1988 missing Turpin? did they look into anything else at all. No need to look into other wood areas that surround his, his relatives and and friends homes. So at the time of one disappearance he was 16. [modsnip] Probably not. I would love to have the resources LE have, to bad they themselves didn't put any of it to good use.

I just read the following website provided concerned Jennifer Wilmer. http://billyjensen.com/wp-content/themes/billjensen/pdfs/crime_stories/dark_star.pdf
It has given me some background information. I feel that we need to reach the people that had the farm that Jennifer was seemingly heading towards. As well, it would be good to make contact with the old house mates as well. The website was valuable as I am way up in the north of Saskatchewan, Canada. It gives me some sense of orientation. I hope that other websleuthers get involved. We need a good time line as well, with all the evil characters around that area with an appropriate placement on the time line.

So I to have read this article. Found that she was headed 9 miles into town from Hawkins Bar, Trinity Co. CA. The town that is 9 miles away from where she was, is Willow Creek. That is assuming shes headed west, Was the farm she was looking into in that area? cause Arcata and Eureka are much further out. As I sit here and think. I have this odd thought. Missing since sept 1 1993 From Eureka was another woman of small stature, Hannah J. Rowell. If Ernie captured and tortured his victims before they escaped or were murdered, how long did each one last. What if he had just drove out to some remote area in trinity county woods and dumped her and picked up Jennifer on the way back? That is a scary thought. And lets point out back in 1988 when Christie JR. killed turpin, the son said it was early June 1988. And there was another who had gone missing in June of 1988 from the area of Eureka. Penelope Milbourn. Did he pick up this one after or right before he killed Sandy Turpin? Seems he may have always had someone captive. [modsnip]

Im still curious about the Christie Connection. A man accused of being a torturer to not only his son but to women, including a murder and cover up. I doubt that he stopped. I think his wife was his first. As a fisherman commercially does this mean he and his boat had access up and down the coast? And the comment being Lost at Sea makes me think after he battered her he dumped her off his boat. Being as there is not even a record of her death, I assume she should be in any of the databases for Doe's, Missing, or even death record. NOTHING. There are many remains unidentified found in California and wonder if any can be linked to Mrs. Claire Christie missing since 1977. If bones in the system can be linked to her maybe that would start off a general area where he started his dumping grounds. Not to mention the areas surrounding his homes. Considering he was listed as having more than one. from Feb 1988- Jan 2004 he is listed as living on Manzanita Ave, Eureka, CA. [modsnip]. They said something about the community being known with nicknames. So what was ES JR's nickname? He was a known meth abuser? What else did the police do when Sam lead them to the body of the 1988 missing Turpin? did they look into anything else at all. No need to look into other wood areas that surround his, his relatives and and friends homes. So at the time of one disappearance he was 16. [modsnip] I would love to have the resources LE have, to bad they themselves didn't put any of it to good use.

More about Claire L Christie:

Maiden Name: Williams
Born: Around 1952
Married: Humboldt County 7/17/1970

More about Claire L Christie:

Maiden Name: Williams
Born: Around 1952
Married: Humboldt County 7/17/1970

Found Article in Times-Standard Eureka Ca. Friday April 1 1977.
Search for missing woman is suspended.

The search for a woman missing since Wednesday, after the fishing boat she was on capsized and sank was suspended at 1:15 pm Thursday, The Coast Guard reported today.

"She is missing and presumed drowned," a Coast Guard spokesman said. The woman was identified as Claire Christie 25, the wife of Ernest Samuel Christie, Jr was was rescued at the scene.

Humboldt County Sheriff's Marine Posse divers failed Thursday to find the wreckage of the sunken boat, the *Fame L, which capsized after coliding with another Eureka crabber, the Eldorado near the Humboldt Bay Opening.

A spokesman for the Coast Guard Captain of the port, the unit investigating the accident, stated that it has been determined that the Eldorado "touched" the Fame L. He added, however that it is not definitely known if the contact between the two boats caused the Fame L to capsize. The seas were reported to be very rough at the time of the accident.

The case remains under Investigation, the spokesman said.

*Fame L I may be reading the bad print wrong with this name listed 3 times this is what I ended up with.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There was not another article about Claire uhat year until November.
Times-Standard Eureka Ca. Sat Nov 7
LIBRARY DEDICATION
The newly completed library of the First Baptist Church, 1025 E St., will be dedicated to the late Claire Christie.

Christie was the wife of Ernest Christie Jr. She died on March 29 1977.

Finished in walnut paneling with matching shelves, the library adjoins the church fellowship hall. Its folding doors open onto the hall, creating a "browsing nook," which has a table that be used by children when the larger hall is used for special occasions.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Guess that's it she was presumed dead. Not sign of even the capsized boat and a whole 2 day investigation of the case. Family Church dedicates a library and all wash their hands of ever finding out what really happened to Claire Christie.

While I look up more into some other newspaper articles I currently have access to, can some explain to me what exactly JENNIFER'S LAW is... I know a little bit, But would someone whose body has never been found, presumed dead be included in this law?

While I look up more into some other newspaper articles I currently have access to, can some explain to me what exactly JENNIFER'S LAW is... I know a little bit, But would someone whose body has never been found, presumed dead be included in this law?[/quote]

Bill Clinton Signed, The Child Abuse prevention & Enforcement Act & Jennifer’s Law allows use of Byrne grant funds for prevention & costs of entering victims in FBI’s NCIC database.

There are now two names I've heard as missing from NW California.
One was a boy who went missing in 1996 from the arcata eureka area, in some article I read. SH, what ever happened to him? and then of course the missing wife of Ernest Christie JR. Mrs. Clair Christie missing since 1977.

Is there more law that says somewhere that all missing persons and unidentified persons and/or remains Past Present and New be entered into this FBI's NCIC database?

After some research into the newspaper site. I have found little more on Ernest Christie JR's wife Claire. But have come across some interesting reads about him and some on his family that were Locals of the area for a long time. I will update you on that progress as soon as I can.

The murdered victim's body was found near his home, and one of the tortured victim's (not murdered because she was able to escape but never reported it to the police, the murderer's son did in 2010) was kept bound inside this tree stump near the murderer's house.

http://www.times-standard.com/portl...sp?articleId=14842961&siteId=127&startImage=1

http://www.times-standard.com/ci_17033815

Also from the Times Standard article about Christie:
Detectives believed that Christie was behind at least two other drug-related kidnapping and torture cases that were never reported.
There is a comment after this article by a woman who says she is one who got away! I wonder if she knows anything about Jennifer. [modsnip].

Below I've linked a post I wrote for the Danielle Nicole Brooks (Bertolini) thread. She is a young woman currently missing from Fortuna, south of Arcata and Eureka. She was involved with growing. I used to live in Southern Humboldt County (SoHum) and my post gives some information about missing persons and marijuana in Humboldt. People were being murdered before we left in 1984.

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - CA CA - Danielle Nicole Brooks, 23, Fortuna, 29 Jan 2014

If Jennifer left in September and was planning to be gone for an extended period (assuming the note is hers), I'm quite sure she was going to a pot farm to help with the harvest and processing. It would have been somewhere outside of Willow Creek, not in town. Even though the farmers said she never arrived, they may not have told the truth.

Sad to say, people sometimes do not come back from these farms. In January 2013, a young man from southern CA disappeared in SoHum after coming to work on a farm. His body was found in December because of an anonymous tip.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back