DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tricia

Manager Websleuths.com
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
On Feb 4th, 2010 the McStay Family, Joey, Summer, Gianni, and Joseph Jr vanished from their home. It looked like the family simply got up and left their home never to return.

Law Enforcement was convinced that the McStay family ran away to Mexico.

Patrick McStay, Joey's father, along with other loved ones knew there was no way Joey and his family would never flee to Mexico. There was no reason for this scenario presented by law enforcement.

Up until the remains of the family were found buried in the desert on November 11, 2013, Patrick McStay searched for his son and his family.

Family friend Chase Merritt was arrested for the McStay family murders on Nov 7th, 2014 and finally, Merritt's first-degree murder trial is underway.

The McStay forum is in our private section. However, we are making the discussion of the trial public.

Link to prior threads
#1 CA - Joey, Summer, Gianni, Joseph Jr McStay Murders - Feb 4th 2010

Thread #1
Thread #2
Thread #3
Thread #4
Thread #5
Thread #6
Thread #7
Thread #8

Thread #9

Last edited by a moderator:
Before posting again in this case, please take note of the following:

STOP personalizing posts. Timeouts will be forthcoming if this manner of posting continues.

Emotions are running high and reading through the last thread the tension is palpable against anyone who presents an opposing view. Differences of opinion are to be expected and are allowed as long as the discussion remains civil and respectful. Looking at something from another angle is the foundation of this forum community. To expect members from all over the world and all walks of life to think the same is unrealistic.

If you don’t agree with a post, either scroll and roll or put the other member on ignore. Do not announce that you are placing someone on ignore- just do it.

Stick to the facts and use links to back up your assertions. If you see a problematic post, hit the alert/report button and move on.

Click the "like" button to indicate that you have read this post.

Last edited:
I posted a while back about thinking Chase conceived of his plan to murder Joey in 2009, and I'm back to that place again.

It can't be proven, but this is the reasoning behind my thoughts -

I believe what motivated him was seeing the potential future growth of EIP and wanting it all for himself, IDesign. No one to share it with - Joey's use in marketing the business had expired, especially with this Mr Klean contract in the pipeline worth millions.

He heard that Joey was paying Dan off. Not only that, but Dan was supposed to have received his last $2000 the weekend before the murders. On Feb 4th I have no reason to think that Chase didn't know that Joey hadn't made that final payment.

He knew that to get away with it he would have to kill Summer also because Summer would complicate the estate and with Joey murdered and Chase assuming all the contracts signed by EIP she would soon put two and two together. So he had to murder Joey and Summer together under the same roof to ensure that one wasn't unexpectedly out and find out about the murder of the other before they were also killed.

Before he could murder them Chase had to establish a new norm for writing EIP cheques which he could say was done with Joey's permission because it happened before he was murdered, and they still had lunch together and everything was hunky dory between them (in reality he didn't show up but waited it out for Joey to return home) hence the reason he stole cheque stock before Monday February 1st and visited Joey on the 2nd so that he could say that was when Joey gave him the first cheque stock. It explains why everyone thinks he was so dumb to think Joey wouldn't notice it and he could get away with it, he knew when he wrote the first cheque that he would be murdering them. He switched off his phone before he left.

He wasn't worried about overpowering Summer but he was worried about Joey fighting him off and getting away. So months before he began to slowly poison Joey to weaken him and he was monitoring the effects of this through watching Joey slowly having to give up his favourite sports or collapsing after exertion.

I'm sold on this now. I'm not saying I don't think there was a sexual element in Summer's murder, but since he's capable of wielding a hammer against innocents he's capable of acing on a sexual urge at the time too and of enjoying the control of a rapist.

All IMO.

I too have begun to suspect this was an idea taking shape in his mind days or weeks earlier.

However I see the money side differently to you. A person with this kind of personality disorder feels entitled to the money in the first place. This is why he cons people and ripped off Joey, and then escalated to just stealing the money. But money is just a place the drama happens with this sort of abusive personality. Money was part of his control and manipulation of Joey.

But crushing a child's skull was not about money.

This was something he enjoyed doing. He wanted to do it and planned to do it.

I too have begun to suspect this was an idea taking shape in his mind days or weeks earlier.

However I see the money side differently to you. A person with this kind of personality disorder feels entitled to the money in the first place. This is why he cons people and ripped off Joey, and then escalated to just stealing the money. But money is just a place the drama happens with this sort of abusive personality. Money was part of his control and manipulation of Joey.

But crushing a child's skull was not about money.

This was something he enjoyed doing. He wanted to do it and planned to do it.
I think your posts are awesome and wish you were on the prosecution team because it would be a slam dunk conviction. However I disagree on one point.

I think it was a day or two of shear desperation and greed. I dont feel that Merritt planned anything in his life including these murders. I think his existence was day by day. He wanted money now and JM pissed him off enough on the 4th to put him over the edge.

Something set him off. I believe it was the phone calls prior to the supposed lunch meet up. Desperate measures required a desperate frantic drive down the interstate for a confrontation.

He had to have money. He confronted JM and demanded cash now. JM told him to F off. Merritt grabbed the sledge and the results are underground. Forever.

chase merritt checks written after their deaths are available for the world to see. And his travels that day are documented. I feel that he is an exceptionally greedy homicidal person that acts on impulse and that once cut off from JMs generosity went to the McStay home with the intention of threats rather than mass murder.

I definitely think Chase is guilty but the prosecution are just poor and have not done a good job.

MOO

What evidence convinced you? And I'm not just asking to be cheeky, I really am trying to understand what evidence is convincing those who even if they don't feel the prosecution's case is strong, still believe so strongly in Chase's guilt.

Full disclosure. I was on the fence before trial. Am convinced of Chase's innocence now.

So I'm really trying to understand this better.

Dear Prosecution team,
I am still on the fence about your case. I would like to know if you have any witnesses that will attest, under oath, that they have seen Mr. Merritt show violence and rage? Did he or does he have a short fuse? (I have seen no evidence presented on this so far.) I find it hard to believe that there would be no signs of violence in the murderers past. Connman, lire, and thief does not make a man a murderer. If I consider the "serial killer types," they know how to blend in. JJDeAngelo showed the ability to snap and go into a fit of rage reported by his neighbor. JJD stalked and murdered while having 3 daughters. I pray everyday for the McStay family and ask that the murderer be punished for this horrific crime.

Imho, the state got exactly what they wanted the jury to hear when it came to his sister's testimony.

I'm somewhat puzzled that others cant see this was a great witness for the state, since most are longtime trial watchers. This isn't the first family member of a defendant to change their story by any means.

I agree with Force Ten, even though the state didn't call her as a hostile witness publicly, which was a very smart move on their part, she was indeed one.

They knew she was going to give inconsistent statements that favored her brother more now so they let her run run with it. That's priceless testimony for the state.

Imo, based on my own prior experience as a juror, the jury will weigh her first statement to police as the true, and correct one when her memory was much fresher no matter the excuses she gives now. She should have used those excuses when first interviewed years ago.

It seems to be a genetic defect with the Merritt siblings when they say they cant recall a thing about significant events, yet conveniently recall other details.

Or perhaps they all have the same trait as their brother, and tell lies when they think it's to their advantage.

Any family member of the accused is always looked at suspiciously, especially even more so, if they try to change their story in more favor of the accused.

So, imo, I think she was a very good witness for the state.

I can see the jury's eyes rolling when this woman testified.

Jmoo

Last edited:
I haven't heard much discussion about the pic of CM at the burial site crosses on his phone......

Randomly posed the question to DH and a few family members, "Would you have a pic like that in your phone?"

Pretty much got the same response: Killer had a trophy he could carry around with him. Who carries around a pic like that? If it was for a "book", it would have been on a laptop or computer, but on his phone?
Sick.

I haven't heard much discussion about the pic of CM at the burial site crosses on his phone......

Randomly posed the question to DH and a few family members, "Would you have a pic like that in your phone?"

Pretty much got the same response: Killer had a trophy he could carry around with him. Who carries around a pic like that? If it was for a "book", it would have been on a laptop or computer, but on his phone?
Sick.

Let's be real here. Many people take photo's of memorial sites and pictures at gravesite's. And since 2014, how many people carry a camera when they have phones capable of taking the pictures? You may not, but lots do. There are a ton of photo's out there of the McStay memorial site, and if you google just "McStay memorial" there are a lot of pictures with a lot of different people, some that knew them, some that didn't. Quite a few with Joey's brother, Mike. What does that mean? It means nothing to me. There are some people here that post that have actually been to the site.... did they take pictures? I bet they did! I know I would if I went. Does that mean they are sick too? Or is only because you think Chase is guilty?

I haven't listened to that testimony yet, was that a photo or was that a screenshot from an article like most of the other "evidence" on his phone?

I think your posts are awesome and wish you were on the prosecution team because it would be a slam dunk conviction. However I disagree on one point.

I think it was a day or two of shear desperation and greed. I dont feel that Merritt planned anything in his life including these murders. I think his existence was day by day. He wanted money now and JM pissed him off enough on the 4th to put him over the edge.

Something set him off. I believe it was the phone calls prior to the supposed lunch meet up. Desperate measures required a desperate frantic drive down the interstate for a confrontation.

He had to have money. He confronted JM and demanded cash now. JM told him to F off. Merritt grabbed the sledge and the results are underground. Forever.

chase merritt checks written after their deaths are available for the world to see. And his travels that day are documented. I feel that he is an exceptionally greedy homicidal person that acts on impulse and that once cut off from JMs generosity went to the McStay home with the intention of threats rather than mass murder.

Oh yeah I agree with all this.

A key question is why today? Why did the McStay's get murdered on the 4th of February after knowing Chase for so long?

There was a flashpoint. But it didn't come from nowhere. He built up to this in his usual self destructive way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alicejean1980