CA - Joey, Summer, Gianni, Joseph Jr McStay Murders - Feb 4th 2010 #17

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
011 - is calling internationally. 1 - you have to put in before an area code. 808 - area code - the rest the phone #.

edited to add: it looks like you are missing a # in the phone # part.

That's what I thought too... it's an international call ... but that doesn't make sense, regardless of where he was because there was no need for him to use that. And right... it's missing a number, which makes it that much more odd. The call connected for 3 minutes according to that log too, so not sure what it is.

A Vendor is just a party in the supply chain that makes goods and services available to companies or consumers.
JM had only been doing business with Merritt for a couple of years.
Not sure where you are going in regard to previous checks?

I know what a vendor is lol It's the fact that he was added to the QB's Contact account on Jan 22/10 that is odd to me, it tells me it wasn't in there before then since they were doing business for almost 3 years previous. I don't think we have ever seen the actual QB's ledger though, so don't really know what Joey did or didn't put into it.

I know what a vendor is lol It's the fact that he was added to the QB's Contact account on Jan 22/10 that is odd to me, it tells me it wasn't in there before then since they were doing business for almost 3 years previous. I don't think we have ever seen the actual QB's ledger though, so don't really know what Joey did or didn't put into it.
Okay thanks for clarifying. And agree, if we don't know exactly what Joey did on the ledger there's no telling as to why?
CM had met JM late August 2007 from what i have read, and the family were murdered very early in February 2010. So around 2yrs. and 5 months in business partnership. Not that long really IMO.

011 - is calling internationally. 1 - you have to put in before an area code. 808 - area code - the rest the phone #.

edited to add: it looks like you are missing a # in the phone # part.
Yes, to make a call from Hawaii to the USA is +1-808.
And U.S. phone numbers usually have 7 numbers after the prefix, so one number on that was missing. Wonder if it was omitted for privacy reasons?
Phone prefix United States +1

Last edited:
Regarding the business relationship between Joey and Chase - Chase addresses it in some detail in his original interview. So he seems to imply IDesign is an independent vendor that Joey contracts in

TD: And you’re co-owner or do you work for Joseph?

CM: Neither one. Joseph owns Earth Inspired Products. I own IDesign. Completely different.

TD: So what’s your business? What’s IDesign?

CM: I manufacture custom indoor waterfalls.

TD: Ok, and it’s called IDesign like the letter I?

CM: The letter I...design.

TD: And what do you use for an address – your residence?

CM: Yeah, um, yeah my residence because our shop, what we’re doing now is manufacturing through another manufacturer so or I mean another you know stainless steel shop, I job out everything now instead of…

TD: So you’re middle man?

CM: Pretty much I mean I still do hands on, um I go into the shop and I do all the lighting and they just do all the stainless work and the welding and stuff like that.​

Regarding the business relationship between Joey and Chase - Chase addresses it in some detail in his original interview. So he seems to imply IDesign is an independent vendor that Joey contracts in

TD: And you’re co-owner or do you work for Joseph?

CM: Neither one. Joseph owns Earth Inspired Products. I own IDesign. Completely different.

TD: So what’s your business? What’s IDesign?

CM: I manufacture custom indoor waterfalls.

TD: Ok, and it’s called IDesign like the letter I?

CM: The letter I...design.

TD: And what do you use for an address – your residence?

CM: Yeah, um, yeah my residence because our shop, what we’re doing now is manufacturing through another manufacturer so or I mean another you know stainless steel shop, I job out everything now instead of…

TD: So you’re middle man?

CM: Pretty much I mean I still do hands on, um I go into the shop and I do all the lighting and they just do all the stainless work and the welding and stuff like that.​

So according to Chase, Joey had already stopped relying upon Chase to build the fountains. MSM was doing all the major work on them.

Yes and then there's this -

CM: Well Joseph owns EIP, Dan runs the website, he owns, Dan I believe owns the website, Joseph was buying the website from him and I know for a fact that Joseph only owed him two more thousand dollars, and it was paid off. And then he was only going to be paying him to run the website instead of paying him a percentage of sales, ok. That’s the extent that I know about Dan, um the, as far as my role, I met Joseph, he actually contacted ME to start building custom waterfalls 2 ½ 3 years ago and I started building his custom waterfalls and I’m still doing that now, today. So I don’t have really anything to do with EIP, I have my own, I manufacture waterfalls, you know, I was, I had my own line of waterfalls, my own everything, Joseph got me more deeply into the custom ones, he does all the sales, basically I mean yeah we’re partners in getting waterfalls done and you know we make money but um he owns EIP I own IDesign, and he buys the waterfalls from me, pays me for them, and you know, that’s, that’s pretty much the extent, um. I do a lot of Joseph’s um you know, a lot of his finances and stuff, because mo…, I probably make 75% of his income, you know, and we were, we were working so damn close together I mean he would, I would buy lights and pumps and things like that with his credit cards and um I would I mean just you know, we were, we were just kind of co-mingling the businesses because you know, as a matter of fact just …

It seems to me this is a lot of mumbo jumbo considering that he stopped doing the bulk of the manufacturing. But his thinking that he made 75% of Joey's income goes to motive for the murder IMO. Considering that Joey went from apartment to house in 2009 and Merritt went from house to apartment in 2009.

I don't think we can even be sure he used Joey's credit cards in the way he said he did, it could be a ruse to explain using the credit card to buy QB Pro. If he did use Joey's credit cards in that way he had no expenses of his own. Why wasn't he paying MSM?

CM: Well Joseph owns EIP, Dan runs the website, he owns, Dan I believe owns the website, Joseph was buying the website from him and I know for a fact that Joseph only owed him two more thousand dollars, and it was paid off. And then he was only going to be paying him to run the website instead of paying him a percentage of sales, ok. That’s the extent that I know about Dan, um the, as far as my role, I met Joseph, he actually contacted ME to start building custom waterfalls 2 ½ 3 years ago and I started building his custom waterfalls and I’m still doing that now, today. So I don’t have really anything to do with EIP, I have my own, I manufacture waterfalls, you know, I was, I had my own line of waterfalls, my own everything, Joseph got me more deeply into the custom ones, he does all the sales, basically I mean yeah we’re partners in getting waterfalls done and you know we make money but um he owns EIP I own IDesign, and he buys the waterfalls from me, pays me for them, and you know, that’s, that’s pretty much the extent, um. I do a lot of Joseph’s um you know, a lot of his finances and stuff, because mo…, I probably make 75% of his income, you know, and we were, we were working so damn close together I mean he would, I would buy lights and pumps and things like that with his credit cards and um I would I mean just you know, we were, we were just kind of co-mingling the businesses because you know, as a matter of fact just …

It seems to me this is a lot of mumbo jumbo considering that he stopped doing the bulk of the manufacturing. But his thinking that he made 75% of Joey's income goes to motive for the murder IMO. Considering that Joey went from apartment to house in 2009 and Merritt went from house to apartment in 2009.

I don't think we can even be sure he used Joey's credit cards in the way he said he did, it could be a ruse to explain using the credit card to buy QB Pro. If he did use Joey's credit cards in that way he had no expenses of his own. Why wasn't he paying MSM?

Your last question I've never understood. If CM was being paid much more than Joey that would have to mean out of CMs outrageous cut he would fully be responsible for purchasing, and paying for all material, and supplies.

And I suspect Joey did expect him to do it, because didn't Joey tell MSM he had already paid CM for what was owed to MSM, and he was the one who should have paid them out of his cut?

Yet, of course, he didnt, making Joey windup paying twice for what he had already paid. So the poor man had to pay twice for the same darn invoice. That is such a rotten lowdown thing to do.

I suspect this isn't the only time CM pulled this stunt. He knew all of the accounts were in EIPs name, and to keep the business relationship in good standing CM knew Joey would pay it twice even if he was scammed by CM.

Imo there is simply no way Joey would give CM this high percentage unless it included CM being fully responsible for paying all material, and supplies out of his cut.

The only way to know the truth is if Joey, himself, was able to attest how it really was supposed to work. CM made sure that would never happen though.

The truth will never come from CM, the pathological liar.

It makes no sense. Joey would be burdened with all of the expenses, and would only have his 25 or 35 percent to pay for everything.

Imo, it sure shows Joey was phasing CM out. Imo, completely.

I think the last check written by Joey to CM for $100.00 was his last check he ever intended to write to CM.

He probably gave him that check for gas money so he could look for work with another company to do sub work.

Imo

Last edited:
I was looking at some of the snips I grabbed on Thursday.... one is showing when Dan called SDSD, it shows he called a number 0111808381706 <<< what is that??? lol and whatever it is, he connected for 3 minutes.

The other one is of QB's log's. It shows on January 22, 2010, Charles Merritt was added as a vendor. Isn't that odd? Wouldn't he have been a vendor before then? This was also in the Contact Account. Much has been said that Merritt was already a vendor on the Contact side... I just assumed it had been there for years since they were doing business together for years, but this is showing it had just been added a few weeks previous to the 4th of Feb. (I am going to back and look into old testimony to see what I can find out about cheques he received previous to that ... handwritten? different name?)

ETA: In April Coronado's testimony, she is shown some previous handwritten cheques made out to Charles Merritt, and during Scott Weitzman's testimony, it lists all cheques from EIP to Charles Merritt... and it says "Pay to Charles Merritt". Both can be found on Day 21 Part 3

Maybe he was listed under IDesign and for some reason JM added him under his name? It does seem odd though.

I’ve been on a cruise. Any thing earth shattering happen last week?

Welcome back, hope you had a good time! We were given video again, camera back in the courtroom and judge promising no more days off or half days (although he added the caveat of 'we'll see how long that lasts').

We had the defense's computer forensics guy (Bryan LaRock) explaining and conjecturing all manner of things, if you have time take a look at the replay, I suppose L&C has the videos up on their YouTube.

Tortoise said:
I don't think we can even be sure he used Joey's credit cards in the way he said he did, it could be a ruse to explain using the credit card to buy QB Pro. If he did use Joey's credit cards in that way he had no expenses of his own.

Re using the "actual" card - did he not say somewhere that Joey would write down the numbers of the card for CM? Or am I remembering wrong?? I'm surprised if that was the way it was does - that I would think a retailer wouldn't take it without the actual card?!

geevee said:
Welcome back, hope you had a good time! We were given video again, camera back in the courtroom and judge promising no more days off or half days (although he added the caveat of 'we'll see how long that lasts').

Well actually it didn't last long. There is a Motions hearing on 4/24 a Thursday, so not sure if the jurors are in that day - I'll tag @Mica and maybe it is on the portal.

Monday, April 22nd:
*Trial continues (Day 43) (@ 9:30am PT) - CA - McStay Family: Joseph (40), Summer (43), Gianni (4) & Joey Jr (3) (Feb. 4, 2010, Fallbrook; found Nov. 11, 2013) - *Charles "Chase" Ray Merritt (57/now 60) arrested (11/5/14) & indicted (11/7/14) of 4 counts of murder with special circumstance; plead not guilty. DP case.
Trial started 1/7/19. Dark on all Fridays. 8 women & 4 men (alternates include 4 men & 2 women).
Trial Days (1-39; 1/17/19 thru 4/11/19) reference post #24 here:
CA - Joey, Summer, Gianni, Joseph Jr McStay Murders - Feb 4th 2010 #16

4/15/19 Day none: No court today, Merritt has a doctor’s appointment & his attorneys failed to tell the court. Court continues on 4/16.
4/16/19 Day 40: Defense witnesses: Annette Dron, QuickBooks Sales Manager. Sarah Kane, custodian of records, PayPal. Bryan C. La Rock, computer forensic analyst. Court continues on 4/17.
4/17/19 Day 41: Defense witness: Bryan Charles La Rock, computer forensic analyst. Trial continues on 4/18.
4/18/19 Day 42: Defense witness: Bryan Charles La Rock continues on cross. Motions hearing Friday, 4/19, with no jurors. Trial with jurors continues on Monday, 4/22.
4/19/19 Day none: Motions hearing without jurors. CSR Directed to prepare transcript of proceedings.
Tentative Schedule for week of April 22nd thru 26th: Court with jurors on April 22 (Monday) and April 23 (Tuesday). On April 24 (Wednesday) - Motion hearing: Quash SDT-Google/Microsoft (Microsoft Corp. Motion To Quash Defendants Subpoena Duces Tecum). Court with jurors on April 25 (Thursday). Dark on April 26 (Friday).

So who will be the witness for today?

Tia!

And once again, who after reading this can not be baffled and outraged over San Diego LEs state of oblivion during the early critical days of the investigation?

Thank you so much for your work on the McStay muders. Tortoise. Your detailed and cited posts through all these months and years all build such a powerful case against the defendant that I find it impossible to believe otherwise. You should really think about writing the definitive book on this case!

Re using the "actual" card - did he not say somewhere that Joey would write down the numbers of the card for CM? Or am I remembering wrong?? I'm surprised if that was the way it was does - that I would think a retailer wouldn't take it without the actual card?!

Well actually it didn't last long. There is a Motions hearing on 4/24 a Thursday, so not sure if the jurors are in that day - I'll tag @Mica and maybe it is on the portal.
BBM, That's right. CM told investigators JM didn't actually give him the CC, and that info. is in the search warrants.
But we also know CM is a liar & a fraudster, and we know the McStay credit cards are missing along with JM's wallet and SM's purse etc.

Hi Niner. Nothing new on the portal. Jury Trial today at 9:30 AM, nothing yet scheduled for tomorrow, and Motion Hearing for the 24th at 9:30 AM. Nothing posted about Jury Trial following the Motion Hearing on the 24th.

Why wasn't he paying MSM?

RSBM
He wasn't paying MSM because Joey was. His % reflects that as well. He was no longer getting 65%, he was getting less than that (it seemed to vary). I think in most cases installation was above that as well.

JMO based on the spreadsheets.

Grabbed a snip, but it's not the greatest... first column is the fountain amount, second column is Chases $$$. This is the spreadsheet that has Metro added to it and shows what they were paid as well.

Attachments

• spreadsheet chases $$$.JPG
    spreadsheet chases $$$.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 17
Hi Niner. Nothing new on the portal. Jury Trial today at 9:30 AM, nothing yet scheduled for tomorrow, and Motion Hearing for the 24th at 9:30 AM. Nothing posted about Jury Trial following the Motion Hearing on the 24th.
Mica,

I tried searching public records this morning by using Charles Merritt and 6 cases came up but not this case. I've accessed it before so I don't know what the deal is now. Very strange. Do you happen to have the case number handy? Tia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gisberthanekroot