CA - Joey, Summer, Gianni, Joseph Jr McStay Murders - Feb 4th 2010 #19

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not convinced the jury is too concerned about putting Merritt to death. This is why:
1) CA last executed a person in January of 2006
2) Merritt is 60+ years old
3) Merritt would likely be dead before all appeals are exhausted and that's assuming he's assigned a relatively decent public defender who actually cares about appealing the verdict

Merritt deserves to have his life snuffed out just like the McStays did but it likely won't happen. At least we know he'll never die outside the cold walls of prison or jail. The clock is ticking...

When in prison, his life will he horrid due to other inmates.
CM will be at the bottom of their totem pole, and will not last long.
MOO.

I ask myself the same question in regards to CM.
But there is evidence against CM the jury will deliberate with. Do you think if there was no evidence on CM this case would of even got to the Trial stage? There are legal standards to consider in that regard.
Or do you think that arresting CM would have stuck if there was no reason to keep him incarcerated?
I think LE can hold someone for up to 72 hours legally, and they either have to arrest them or let them go.
Even the judge in this trial could see no reason to dismiss and gave quite lengthy reasons to the court as to why not.

I give the defense credit for strategically boxing the PT into a precarious corner. What now can the PT really do about DK? If they track him down and put him on the witness stand there’s no doubt he’ll plead the 5th, which plays directly into the DT’s contention that DK has something to hide.

If they do nothing the DT puts their PI on the stand who will imply DT has skipped town and is on the run. Hopefully, the prosecutors have learned a valuable lesson in trial strategy but somehow I kind of doubt it.

BBM

Didn't this just happen yesterday? Like the ledger guy who only used free look-ups for IP addresses, the PI likely only tried to find him in a similar fashion (ie not very diligently).

But there is evidence against CM the jury will deliberate with. Do you think if there was no evidence on CM this case would of even got to the Trial stage? There are legal standards to consider in that regard.
Or do you think that arresting CM would have stuck if there was no reason to keep him incarcerated?
I think LE can hold someone for up to 72 hours legally, and they either have to arrest them or let them go.
Even the judge in this trial could see no reason to dismiss and gave quite lengthy reasons to the court as to why not.
Yes it must be all smoke and mirrors. The orchestration started with Dan, blindsided two sheriffs depts and the FBI, then to be picked up by the prosecution to railroad the two-timed felon. Makes total sense.

I wasn't sure about a family member making contact with the judge. I'm sure somebody would complain. Lol

Any letters sent to the judge would be intercepted. If it got to the judge it would become part of the case file anyway. The judge would likely make a copy for both defense and prosecution and then discuss it with them. Or, the family would go through their advocate and the prosecution to express their concerns.

I agree oceanblueeyes.
CJ would have spent many personal moments with CM, and to come up, with such a statement, you would think CM would be annoyed.
INSTEAD, he thanks her, proud he 'doesn't care about others'.:(

What does this show?
CM does not value JM, whereas he continually has stated, how close their friendship/business relationship has been.
Hope the Prosecution stress this point, given by CJ, and CM agreeing.
MOO.

This was sarcasm on CM's part. It was "gee thanks honey I love you too" type of comment. That's why CJ responds with "well it's true!" If he was genuinely thankful she wouldn't have responded that way, he likely was mildly annoyed. Yet, I can see what she means too.

I can hear it in my head because I say "gee thanks, I love you too" quite a bit when a family member tosses a veiled insult.

I give the defense credit for strategically boxing the PT into a precarious corner. What now can the PT really do about DK? If they track him down and put him on the witness stand there’s no doubt he’ll plead the 5th, which plays directly into the DT’s contention that DK has something to hide.

If they do nothing the DT puts their PI on the stand who will imply DT has skipped town and is on the run. Hopefully, the prosecutors have learned a valuable lesson in trial strategy but somehow I kind of doubt it.

They can certainly bring him in on rebuttal. His attorney can ask the court to quash the subpoena, he can also ask to limit the scope of questioning.
The Judge already ruled neither side can state or imply DK is hiding or on the run. This was done outside the juries presence before the DT's PI took the stand.
DK knew nothing of the ins/out of the custom fountain side of the business, his testimony is only crucial to the month of January 2010 and the 1st 2 weeks of February, specifically through the 4th and 8th of February.
The DT has no responsibility to find Dan for the PT, they gave them the most current addy/ phone # they had for him when the PT thought they would call him for the case in chief. They did not.
It was the DT's responsibility to find DK because THEY decided to put them on their witness list. It's their problem they hired an inept detective to look for him.
DK's financial indiscretions. whether legal or otherwise, are not on trial.

DK is easily found, he's NOT hiding. If you ask the right people, you have his address in 5 minutes.
Unfortunately, the DT hired a moron, or they DON'T want to find him.

They can certainly bring him in on rebuttal. His attorney can ask the court to quash the subpoena, he can also ask to limit the scope of questioning.
The Judge already ruled neither side can state or imply DK is hiding or on the run. This was done outside the juries presence before the DT's PI took the stand.
DK knew nothing of the ins/out of the custom fountain side of the business, his testimony is only crucial to the month of January 2010 and the 1st 2 weeks of February, specifically through the 4th and 8th of February.
The DT has no responsibility to find Dan for the PT, they gave them the most current addy/ phone # they had for him when the PT thought they would call him for the case in chief. They did not.
It was the DT's responsibility to find DK because THEY decided to put them on their witness list. It's their problem they hired an inept detective to look for him.

DK is easily found, he's NOT hiding. If you ask the right people, you have his address in 5 minutes.

I can find DK's many different addresses on google too (including Hawaii lol), but that doesn't mean that is where he is today or last month or the month before. JMO

Ignoring that there's a check made out to Merritt the night of the 4th, several more days later and backdated, call to QB, and a truck bearing remarkable characteristics to Merritt's truck. I see.

Maybe they were in kahoots with each other as well.

Isn't there a video somewhere, that shows the JUDGE listing all of the incriminating evidence, which points to CM? I think it was when the DT wanted to have all charges formally dismissed.

I don't know if he's a moron, he was a cop for 27 years? He did come off as quite smug (as many of their witnesses have been). I think their conversation may have went something like:

"We want you to look for him but we don't want you to find him. We can fill in the blanks at trial".

It's just amazing to me that this guy, under the defense's direction, didn't start until after the trial started. Equally mindblowing is that DK wasn't actively seeked out between August 2017 and 2019. They had the trial date since October.

I think if someone is determined enough to find him they would be able to, IMO. He's not invisible LOL.

If I was local, I would probably try LOL But I'm not... so can't haha I just cannot see why the defense wouldn't want to get him on the stand, even the prosecution seems to believe he would plead the 5th, why wouldn't the defense? That would be way better than the juror's hearing that the PI couldn't find him.

I don't know why Dan just doesn't come forward... the defense has accused him of some pretty serious crimes in court and in the media (according to the pro's, I haven't looked for any articles stating that) and if he is innocent, shouldn't he be screaming it from the rooftops like some have thought Merritt should have been doing all these years? JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ty1220