CA - Joey, Summer, Gianni, Joseph Jr McStay Murders - Feb 4th 2010 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
We KNOW it rained on the 4th (Murder timeline by Hughes (sp?) because they have actual footage of it pouring rain in RC, while driving down the 15 freeway.

But they were buried in Victorville, not Rancho Cucamonga. According to Google maps, that is 1 hour away.

Cathy Russon on Twitter
Cathy Russon‏ @cathyrusson 1h1 hour ago
#McStay - McGee: Do you know if the McStay family was put in the ground in Victorville before and not after Feb 8th?
Smith: Based on the totality of the evidence I would say yes

Cathy Russon on Twitter
#McStay - McGee: When's the last time you know that the family had any contact with anyone?
Smith: When Mr. McStay spoke with Mr. Merritt Smith said it was the evening of the 4th.

Cathy Russon on Twitter
#McStay - McGee: You learned that Mr. Kavanaugh sold the company?
Smith: Yes
McGee: Did you ever instruct anyone to question him about the sell of the business? Smith: No

Cathy Russon on Twitter
#McStay - McGee: Were you aware that Mr. McStay was complaining.....Objection...sustained

Cathy Russon on Twitter
#McStay - McGee: Did you subpoena Mr. Kavanaugh's bank records?
Smith: No
McGee: Did you follow up on a financial motive that Kavanaugh may have had?
Smith: We followed up on Kavanaugh and determined that he was in Hawaii.

Cathy Russon on Twitter
#McStay - McGee: Were steps taken by you to verify that he was in Hawaii?
Smith: There were steps taken by the team. I did not personally verify it.

Cathy Russon on Twitter
#McStay - McGee attempts to ask several questions about Kavanaugh and money through Joseph's business. Judge sustains all prosecution's objections.

Cathy Russon on Twitter
#McStay - McGee: Do you think you did everything you could have to rule out Kavanaugh being involved? Imes objects saying it calls for speculation. Judge sustains.

DyHdqgFUYAA5FXo.jpg

0 replies0 retweets0 likes

Cathy Russon on Twitter
#McStay - McGee asked Smith if he interviewed Patrick Maloy. (Maloy worked for the guys that bought EIP from Dan Kavanaugh in July 2011) Smith says he doesn't recall that name.

Cathy Russon on Twitter
#McStay - The jury will go on a site view of the burial site tomorrow. "The media is excluded" and public per judge. No court tomorrow. Trial resumes Thursday morning

Imo nobody is going to believe they traipsed off to Mexico when Summer had paint on her bra and had bleached sweatpants on.

Imo, All of these things had to have occurred in their home on the 4th where the matching wet paint was located and then they were transported to the desert in an area CM knew well and then they were buried.

Good night everyone. It's been a great discussion.

Imo

You put that so well...no one is surely going to believe Summer dressed like that to go to Mexico.

The judge didn't allow it but I believe the witness (Smith) was about to say that CM sold the truck in 2010 but we didn't get to hear the month.

But they were buried in Victorville, not Rancho Cucamonga. According to Google maps, that is 1 hour away.

There is a mountain that separates RC from Phelan/Victorville where they were buried. As hard as it was raining on the video, I would expect it to be raining at the gravesites as well. Unless, the mountain miracously blocked the clouds?

Also, Victorville is considered the "High Desert" vs Palm Springs the "Low Desert." They also get Snow in Victorville sometimes, because it is colder there.

I once towed a co-worker behind a truck (spare tire connected to chain) in a construction site. We were grading/paving the streets for a new housing project off Bear Valley Rd in Victorville.

It all went well until he hit a manhole (covered by snow) and threw him about 10' in the air. He was ok. o_Oo_O

Last edited:
Right, and....left eggs out on the counter, had no passports for the boys, were supposed to be going to Summer's sisters for a baby shower, AND BIGGEST of all left their new puppy and their beloved dog Bear, in the backyard alone, in the rain.
Ha. If anyone who knows me came to my house and my dog was outside alone in the rain, they would know immediately that something is very wrong.

Imo nobody is going to believe they traipsed off to Mexico when Summer had paint on her bra and had bleached sweatpants on.

Imo, All of these things had to have occurred in their home on the 4th where the matching wet paint was located and then they were transported to the desert in an area CM knew well and then they were buried.

Imo

Force Ten, were you here waaaaay back? Do you remember some other "character-type" comments from acquaintances that indicated that he was a real hot-head and could get violent quickly. Didn't he get into a few fights? Wish I had time to go back through all those posts.

I remember this as well fridaybaker.

Today the defense was hitting very hard on their contention that the McStays were still alive and well on the 5th. They said the Coffee in the maker and the eggs on the counter and their clothing showed they had been up for breakfast.

But how can they explain Chase writing the check on the 4th? And backdating the next checks back to the 4th?

Chase Merritt: Conclusive Evidence
I want to focus upon one of the checks which I believe proves the strict “beyond a reasonable doubt” standard that Merritt was in the McStay home on February 4th at 7:59 p.m.

On February 4th, at 7:59, someone (Chase) writes a check to (lower case) “chase merritt” in the amount of $4,000 using Joseph’s Quickbooks account. In the memo line he writes “re Paul Mitchell”. At 8:05 he deletes it. He does not print it. This check was a “dry run” or practice for an almost identical check that was written by Chase the following day.

On February 5th, at 12:06 p.m. Chase Merritt writes a check to (lower case) “chase merritt” for $4,500 using Joseph’s Quickbooks account. In the memo line he writes “re Paul Mitchell” and prints it out then deletes it from Quickbooks. This check is cashed by Chase Merritt at a Union Bank at 12:38 p.m. Since Chase’s phone has been identified as pinging in Rancho Cucamonga during this time, we know that the Union Bank was the one in Rancho Cucamonga very near Chase’s home. This indicates that Chase is the one that wrote those checks in his home on Church Street in Rancho Cucamonga, the check could not have been created in Fallbrook.

It is obvious that the person who wrote the check and deleted it on the evening of the 4th was the same person who wrote the subsequent checks February 5th, and that one “re Paul Mitchell” check is particularly damning – Chase Merritt, and only Chase Merritt could have written them. Joseph never used lower case “chase merritt” when using his Quickbooks account. Also, all checks written after the 4th had a signature that did not match Joseph’s normal signature.

I just want to point out as a reference: San Bernardino County is the LARGEST County in the entire United States, according to the actual sq mileage. MOST of their area is wide open desert. You have to drive through SB Co in order to get to Las Vegas, which is around a 4 hour drive.

CM had literally THOUSANDS upon THOUSANDS of sq miles to bury the MS Family. Why he buried them off of Stoddard Wells Rd NOW makes sense to me. Supposedly, he had grown up and worked within MILES of their gravesites. That would mean he was VERY familiar with the surrounding area. In his mind, he NEVER thought they would have ever been found, IMO.

Having grown up around there, he must have known of other "body finds" out there that have NEVER been solved. The Anthropologist even testified she had recovered numerous bodies along several of the Victorville offramps. CM must have thought by burying them there, if they were found it would turn out to be another "Cold Case," IMO

There IS a reason he chose that spot and I hope we will find out why.

I hope this is not a dumb question, but is it possible the San Bernardino CSI group found blood evidence but--didn't they say they did? Were they not allowed to elaborate yet? AND, if McGyver (or any other friend ) knew the McStays were afraid of Chase, was he not allowed to admit that, when in court a few weeks ago? Hope this is not stepping into forbidden territory! Thanks!

There is a mountain that separates RC from Phelan/Victorville where they were buried. As hard as it was raining on the video, I would expect it to be raining at the gravesites as well. Unless, the mountain miracously blocked the clouds?

Also, Victorville is considered the "High Desert" vs Palm Springs the "Low Desert." They also get Snow in Victorville sometimes, because it is colder there.

I once towed a co-worker behind a truck (spare tire connected to chain) in a construction site. We were grading/paving the streets for a new housing project off Bear Valley Rd in Victorville.

It all went well until he hit a manhole (covered by snow) and threw him about 10' in the air. He was ok. o_Oo_O

Not trying to be difficult, but that is not what the historical data says for Victorville.

Zero precipitation. I guess the site could be wrong, but it's usually accurate. I have referenced it for other cases.

Since you are from the area... RC is about an hour away from Victorville, right? I mean, where I am, and it is WIDE open prairies, not even a big hill in the way to change the weather lol, places not even an hour away have huge differences in weather. In temperature, in storms, in rain/snow accumulation. It's kind of crazy actually and we comment on it a lot.

I have never questioned that it must have been wet because of those tire tracks, I only went to look because Tortoise commented something about maybe it rained more or harder so I went to see how much rain they actually got that day.

Would we see tracks like that even if it hadn't rained recently?

I'm also wondering if either the pro's or defense have said anything about it raining that day, the 6th?

San Bernardino also shows no rain for that day.
San Bernardino International, CA History | Weather Underground

Not trying to be difficult, but that is not what the historical data says for Victorville.

Zero precipitation. I guess the site could be wrong, but it's usually accurate. I have referenced it for other cases.

Since you are from the area... RC is about an hour away from Victorville, right? I mean, where I am, and it is WIDE open prairies, not even a big hill in the way to change the weather lol, places not even an hour away have huge differences in weather. In temperature, in storms, in rain/snow accumulation. It's kind of crazy actually and we comment on it a lot.

I have never questioned that it must have been wet because of those tire tracks, I only went to look because Tortoise commented something about maybe it rained more or harder so I went to see how much rain they actually got that day.

Would we see tracks like that even if it hadn't rained recently?

I'm also wondering if either the pro's or defense have said anything about it raining that day, the 6th?

San Bernardino also shows no rain for that day.
San Bernardino International, CA History | Weather Underground

Actually, there are 2 mountain ranges that separate RC from Victorville, also known as the Cajon Pass. The Pass is basically a canyon, surrounded by 2 mtn ranges you drive through (canyon) in order to get to Victorville. You can get from RC to Victorville w/in 30-40 minutes, depending on traffic. In fact, we had bad fires this year in the pass. 0 percipitation is NOT true, it rains every year there.

All I hope is that Chase Merritt gets the death penalty if he is convicted.
I know that he will die of old age before it would ever be carried out.
That is California.
However, perhaps by being on death row he has to suffer a little bit more, not have the same amenities that the general population enjoys.
Maybe this sounds mean spirited, but if convicted of this quadruple murder... I really hope he ends up in as close to hell on earth as there can be.

Actually, there are 2 mountain ranges that separate RC from Victorville, also known as the Cajon Pass. The Pass is basically a canyon, surrounded by 2 mtn ranges you drive through (canyon) in order to get to Victorville. You can get from RC to Victorville w/in 30-40 minutes, depending on traffic. In fact, we had bad fires this year in the pass. 0 percipitation is NOT true, it rains every year there.

Sorry, I should have said zero for that day! BUT I have found somewhere else that says 1.1 inch, which I would assume is a lot for that area considering the yearly average is 6.1.

Climate Victorville - California and Weather averages Victorville

edited to change the link... ok that didn't work haha need to click history at the top and choose 2010 Feb

I hope this is not a dumb question, but is it possible the San Bernardino CSI group found blood evidence but--didn't they say they did? Were they not allowed to elaborate yet? AND, if McGyver (or any other friend ) knew the McStays were afraid of Chase, was he not allowed to admit that, when in court a few weeks ago? Hope this is not stepping into forbidden territory! Thanks!
The SBSO CSI have NOT testified yet. I'm sure their testimony will be crucial when they do.

Imo

That wouldn't mean they were traipsing off to Mexico. I think what the defense is trying to do, is show there are other possible scenarios.

Maybe the food was left out and the dogs outside, only because they were suddenly scared by someone or something. They had to leave in a hurry?

Or maybe they drove the Trooper to the border to try and make people think they went to Mexico, in order to get away from someone?

Or maybe someone carjacked Joey, and they dumped the car there and transferred to another vehicle?

I AM NOT BELIEVING ANY OF THIS. I just worry that the defense is creating a few pockets of reasonable doubt here and there.

Last edited:
The SBSO CSI have NOT testified yet. I'm sure their testimony will be crucial when they do.

Oh Edmo, you need to go watch testimony from this morning. I think it was Sgt. Steers. He went to the home in 2014.

That wouldn't mean they were traipsing off to Mexico. I think what the defense is trying to do, is show there are other possible scenarios.

Maybe the food was left out and the dogs outside,

Like maybe they drove the Trooper to the border to try and make people think they went to Mexico, in order to get away from someone?

Or maybe someone carjacked Joey, and they dumped the car there and transferred to another vehicle?

I AM NOT BELIEVING ANY OF THIS. I just worry that the defense is creating a few pockets of reasonable doubt here and there.

You seem to be where I am right now.. I KNOW in my head and heart that he did this. I know this from what I know and what makes sense. But when looking at the testimony as it's unfolding, I don't see it yet. And what I thought I knew, is not always turning out to be the case, like evidence in the home that there was a crime committed there (I really did think they had found something there in 2014, and IMO they didn't, especially after hearing Steers say today that the evidence does not show that).

I'm seeing the defense bring out some good testimony for their case during the State's case, which is just crazy to me. They aren't making everything up ... ok, the going to Mexico thing is silly and I bet McGee wishes he could take that question back... but I do see what McGee was getting at. Now that we know that is the Isuzu key in Joey's pocket, I would like to know if another key was found in the home?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mel18