CA - Joey, Summer, Gianni, Joseph Jr McStay Murders - Feb 4th 2010 #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not sure who has actually watched the trial footage of this. It's easy to find, and it's not even very long because the defense will be continuing their cross examination tomorrow because McGee needed time to go through it, and the judge agreed he should have time. Go and watch it and you will understand it better :) And sloppy.. yep, that's what I said... they have had 4 + years to do this and Smith says he did it last Monday-Wed. For a case that was so rock solid, they sure seem to be scrambling during the trial to prove that he gambled his money?

Missy, why do you take issue with the prosecution making it a point to show how frequently he gambled? IMO, they are laying the groundwork to show gambling addict > financial difficulties > motive.

Ha! just seen a tweet by Cathy Russon on their other trial - must have been my evil thoughts!

#Dooley - The judge has yanked live streaming for today. He didn't go into detail except to say counsel is having issues outside of courtroom and live streaming. We don't know if we'll be able to continue tomorrow. We'll send updates as soon as we know.
Cathy Russon (@cathyrusson) | Twitter

Ha! just seen a tweet by Cathy Russon on their other trial - must have been my evil thoughts!

#Dooley - The judge has yanked live streaming for today. He didn't go into detail except to say counsel is having issues outside of courtroom and live streaming. We don't know if we'll be able to continue tomorrow. We'll send updates as soon as we know.

Glad she had to fly from CA to FL and may not even be able to live stream.

Cathy Russon on Twitter
Cathy Russon‏ @cathyrusson 1m1 minute ago
#McStay - (1/2) Court was only in session for 1 hour and is now at an extended lunch recess until 1:45 pm PST/4:45pm EST. Prosecutor Imes wrapped questioning of FBI spc. agt. Kevin Boles regarding the cell phone/tower records. Essentially went over the same info from last Thurs.

D0Rl-wnVsAA9XiM.jpg

0 replies0 retweets0 likes

I doubt he will testify - it's too risky

It's really hard to know for sure what this particular defendant will decide to do.

Will both of his lawyers strongly advise against it, and make sure they get it in the court record, they have strongly advised him against testifying? No doubt about it. Yes. Yes. Yes. But will he heed their advice?

I would say no way if he was like most murder defendants, but he isn't like most imo.

I think it may depend on how he thinks the case is going once the state has ended its CIC.

I wouldn't be the least bit shocked though if CM does testify.

As far as it being too risky. Nothing can be riskier than murdering 4 people in cold blood, and burying them all in a desert.

He has been a career conman most of his adult life. Over, and over he has taken risks in order to deceive others to get what he wanted.

Even his gambling addiction shows he is prone to be a high risk taker.

PS. I am still really hoping he does testify!!!!

Cathy Russon Twitter

#McStay - (2/3) One new piece of info under direct was the only other time Merritt's phone pinged in the burial site area was on 07/12/2010. Pinged off of same tower as on 02/06/10 but in a different direction, the area where his sister lives. Long recess before cross exam (cont)

Cathy Russon on Twitter
Cathy Russon‏ @cathyrusson 22m22 minutes ago
#McStay - (2/3) One new piece of info under direct was the only other time Merritt's phone pinged in the burial site area was on 07/12/2010. Pinged off of same tower as on 02/06/10 but in a different direction, the area where his sister lives. Long recess before cross exam (cont)

Cathy Russon on Twitter
Cathy Russon‏ @cathyrusson 21m21 minutes ago
#McStay - (3/3) The reason for the long break is the defense wasn't given the FBI cell tower data for Feb. 6, 2010. Judge delays cross-examination until that happens.

I agree. The cell phone testimony and the cross are extremely important. I hope and pray that at least one reporter will write an article, in summary.

I hope so too, Katy. What I worry about this though is I've seen past cases where we had to depend solely on news articles by reporters in the courtroom, and the reporter's own biases came through in what they wrote.

I hope if they do write articles they will report equally on what has been brought out by both sides.

Rather than dwelling on what was said by one side only.

Imo

Missy, why do you take issue with the prosecution making it a point to show how frequently he gambled? IMO, they are laying the groundwork to show gambling addict > financial difficulties > motive.

From what I can see this was not a new issue. He gambled long before Feb 4/10.

It's my opinion, which I am allowed to have, that it just doesn't look like a motive to me and it's not as big of a deal as many are making of it. I can think he is guilty, but still think the prosecution sucks, and I can still think they aren't proving it... it's an opinion :)

I saw this and resisted the urge to say "good, now take your cam's back to McStay" LOL

Cathy Russon on Twitter
Cathy Russon‏ @cathyrusson 22m22 minutes ago

Cathy Russon on Twitter
Cathy Russon‏ @cathyrusson 21m21 minutes ago
#McStay - (3/3) The reason for the long break is the defense wasn't given the FBI cell tower data for Feb. 6, 2010. Judge delays cross-examination until that happens.

New to Cathy maybe LOL Think we have known that? about the 7/12/10 and 2/6/10 pings.

The prosecution didn't give something to the defense again. Imagine that. :rolleyes:

Gosh it seems that this thread was told on the 2-22-19 that the live streaming was getting canceled by Law and crime network. Then today we hear some judge dismissed it for today? Really? I am giving it a rest for now. I will say a prayer every day for the McStay family. Pray pray pray.

Gosh it seems that this thread was told on the 2-22-19 that the live streaming was getting canceled by Law and crime network. Then today we hear some judge dismissed it for today? Really? I am giving it a rest for now. I will say a prayer every day for the McStay family. Pray pray pray.
No that's the other trial they've gone to - the McStay trial is still on today.

New to Cathy maybe LOL Think we have known that? about the 7/12/10 and 2/6/10 pings.

The prosecution didn't give something to the defense again. Imagine that. :rolleyes:

Yeah it looks like they gave them everything but Feb. 6th. That shouldn't take long for the defense to go through.

I wonder how many pages of discovery the state has already turned over?

With a case lasting many, many months, I bet it is way up into the many, many, thousands.

A typical murder case has about 3k pages of discovery documents on average, but this one is far longer, and much more involved with many witnesses that will be called..

Jmo

Last edited:
From what I can see this was not a new issue. He gambled long before Feb 4/10.

It's my opinion, which I am allowed to have, that it just doesn't look like a motive to me and it's not as big of a deal as many are making of it. I can think he is guilty, but still think the prosecution sucks, and I can still think they aren't proving it... it's an opinion :)

Where did I say you weren't allowed to have an opinion? It's just my opinion that to say his gambling has NOTHING to do with the murder is ridiculous. I'm a poster on websleuths, so I won't sit here and pretend I know better than a state's attorney.

Suprised the Judge has let this sham continue..

There is nothing on Merrit. If he did it, they did an awful job of trying to convict him of it and without evidence the truth doesn't matter it's only what's proven and they haven't proven anything close to a quadruple homicide. Why has the defense not asked for a dismissal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kristens5487