CA - Joey, Summer, Gianni, Joseph Jr McStay Murders - Feb 4th 2010

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
oh and... what's up with him driving by the house on the 4th or 6th? That was in his first statement too, but he said on direct that the 13th was the first time he was at the house.
I think that was either a lie intended to establish a definitive timeline or he meant to say that someone drove by that day aka Merritt. Or cops recorded his statement incorrectly in their report

reasonable doubt is the killer, but the prosecution must know they have this locked down and will overcome this obstacle.
Was anyone able to read the attorneys today? did the Prosecution look like they were up all night? The whole stretch of time before they found everyone dead in a sandy nowhere, had to be surreal and fraught with anxiety.
I'm sure that when Mike tries to play it back his mind is swimming and it's useless to try to identify dates, days and time. Time stops. mOO

Thank you to those who have shared the tweets, and videos. Mike looks much more like Joey than I remembered. When I try to think how much pain this family must have experienced in the last nine years, it really does blow my mind.

Michley says she "heard noises" and turned her porch light on

To rattle the witness maybe? She did after all have the video that supposedly caught Merritt's truck.
No doubt. They seemed to be unreasonably harsh with Mikey too. I agree with OBE - their tactics are not going to sit well with the jury.

I've been to the Avo house. It would be very quiet there at night. The "noises" Ms. Michley heard are something to take note of.

so around the 1:12 mark is when they go to break... around 1:13:30ish mark, the prosecution says that there has been no "motion to exclude from the defense" and the defense has had lots of time to do that! WTH... why in the world would the defense not have filed that?

Good question. I have no clue. The defense seems on top of their game. Hard to believe they missed this one, IMO.

Good question. I have no clue. The defense seems on top of their game. Hard to believe they missed this one, IMO.

They seem better than that, don't they?

Geesh, I would be concerned about Ineffectiveness of Counsel if they are allowed to bring all of that in now lol

Yes, it is normally very quiet here in Fallbrook at night.
This is not a city, especially out where Joey and Summer's house is.
The normal sounds in this area are coyotes.

No doubt. They seemed to be unreasonably harsh with Mikey too. I agree with OBE - their tactics are not going to sit well with the jury.

I've been to the Avo house. It would be very quiet there at night. The "noises" Ms. Michley heard are something to take note of.

Thursday, January 10th:
*Trial continues (Day 4) (@ 9:30am PT) - CA - McStay Family: Joseph (40), Summer (43), Gianni (4) & Joey Jr (3) (Feb. 4, 2010, Fallbrook; found Nov. 11, 2013) - *Charles "Chase" Ray Merritt (57/now 61) arrested (11/5/14) & indicted (11/7/14) of 4 counts of murder with special circumstance; plead not guilty. DP case.
12/14/18: 12 jurors & 6 alternates were finalized on Tuesday (12/11). 8 women & 4 men, while the alternates include 4 men & 2 women. Dec. 19 hearing will focus on evidence & details about possible jury visits to the both the desert grave sites & the McStay family home in Fallbrook. Trial to start 1/7/19.
1/4/19 Update: Jurors are expected to hear during opening statements Mon., Jan. 7, a tape of defendant Merritt being questioned by detectives. The interview with Merritt was made Feb. 7, 2011, a year after the McStays disappeared from their Fallbrook home & 3 years before Merritt was arrested.
1/7/19 Day 1: Judge will allow live stream of trial. Judge gives jurors initial instructions. Judge not happy with the number of cameras in the courtroom. Opening statements are done. Trial continues 1/8.
1/8/19 Day 2: State witnesses: Susan Blake (Joseph's mother). Michael McStay (Joseph’s brother). Trial continues on 1/9.
1/9/19 Day 3: Prosecutor tells the judge Mike McStay doesn't want to be shown on camera today. Judge denies request. State witnesses: Jennifer Michley (or Mitchley), former Fallbrook neighbor of the McStays. Michael McStay. Trial continues on 1/10.

Does anyone have a feel for how things are coming along?
Defense will throw it out there to see what sticks.
Try and sway at least one juror.
Hopefully smart people only were picked.
What do you think?

Cathy Russon on Twitter
Cathy Russon‏ @cathyrusson 6m6 minutes ago
#McStay - Video from Michley's security cam picked up this vehicle. During the defense opening they played the video with a demonstration of the height of the taillight saying it didn't match Merritt's truck. Prosecutors say this is Merritt's truck.

Um was there better footage of the truck or was that picture the best there was? I don't think the jury is going to buy for a second that the prosecution can identify that truck as a specific truck unless they have much better footage! MAYBE I would believe they could narrow it down to a general type/size/model but a specific VIN number? No way.

She's a terrible witness for the prosecution. The video clips do nothing more than create confusion and doubt, which really helps the defense. I beginning to wonder if the prosecution has any idea of what they're doing.

I suspect there will be an expert witness on this subject. Otherwise, you are correct and it was a collosal waste of time. I know the defense has done consulting with an expert on it, so I presume the prosecution has as well.

The passage of time makes it very hard on these witnesses. I recently has to appear in court as a witness and it was in a much tighter time frame than the 8 plus years for the McStay family. It is not easy, stressful and a very emotional time for the family and those that are testifying.

Yes, this is true. That is why they say that time is on the side of the defense. Though it's not always true, since sometimes witnesses forget things that would benefit the defense as well. Also if you are being held without bail, time isn't really on your side either. Details like these people are forgetting are understandable. Details like whether he put a gun to your head, not so understandable to forget. (Not in this case, random example.)

With the way the defense is going after DK, will the prosecution even call him? I don't know if I would... but I'm not a lawyer LOL

Prosecution does not HAVE to call him. The defense can call him themselves. If they are smart they put him on their witness list as well, anticipating the prosecution might elect not to call him because he's another viable suspect.

The prosecution did a terrible job prepping their witnesses, that's if they prep them at all.

It is starting to appear that way. However, these first few witnesses might just be kind of a mess understandably. So we will have to see.

BBM I have searched to see if there was a motion to exclude prior criminal acts, but I can't find anything. Maybe some posters who have been more diligent all these years can weigh in on this one :)

I'm in a different state so perhaps it's not the same. Also I don't recall his criminal history but I know it's not murder.

Here the state has to file a motion to INCLUDE prior criminal acts. Because we have to have a hearing on whether they are more probative than prejudicial. If it is going to go towards proving guilt. Like similar pattern, signature, whatever.

The exception is if they only intend to introduce a prior criminal history to go towards credibility if he testifies. In that case the state here has to file a notice informing us they intend to bring in the following convictions to impeach him if he testifies.

The prosecution normally is not allowed to introduce past criminal acts of a defendant durning the guilt phase of a criminal trial.

UNLESS they use the prior criminal acts to damage the defendants credibility in the event that he takes the stand. That is often allowed as it is with all witnesses and contributes to the decision of whether the defendant testifies. With the defendant the rules are tighter. It has to be a conviction that goes towards honesty (theft by deceit, fraud, etc)

so around the 1:12 mark is when they go to break... around 1:13:30ish mark, the prosecution says that there has been no "motion to exclude from the defense" and the defense has had lots of time to do that! WTH... why in the world would the defense not have filed that?

Generally the prosecution has to give notice they intend to bring it in, then the defense files a motion to exclude. I don't think this is the last we've heard of this.

I don't recall them mentioning his criminal history. I DO recall one of the attorney's mentioning that Merritt was concerned about going to talk to LE at first because he had a warrant, but decided to go anyway and they told him they wouldn't arrest him.

Okay... if this is the case I think I'd probably argue this. Having a warrant doesn't equal a criminal history. Charges get dropped, pleas happen, it could have been a warrant for a speeding ticket he failed to pay. I almost ended up with one of those and I work FOR a lawyer! (I have NO criminal history whatsoever.)

If the defense ONLY mentioned he had a warrant, I think the defense has a point that they did not mention a criminal history. I think they might elect to argue this if they feel it's too damaging for it to be brought up continually.

Not that I haven't seen defense attorneys "open the door" and totally screw over their clients, it happens. That just doesn't sound like what happened here. It sounds like it was a well thought out comment meant to put the defendant in a positive light, that should not have opened the door. The judge may have gotten this call wrong.

Also, you don't object to something unless you want the jury to pay closer attention to it. This is very true.

Thanks @MsFacetious for your thoughts! I agree, we have not heard the last about the "prior bad acts" I wish we had transcripts, does anyone know if those will be available?

As for the prosecution prepping their witnesses... Mike on cross was asked how many times he met with the DA... IIRC he said only a few times and they gave him statements last month to go over or read. I think the defense did an okay job yesterday between the neighbor and Mike. The neighbor said she had turned the light on because she "heard something" after saying she didn't hear anything that night... and then on Mike's cross, one of their first points was that Mike did say he drove by the McStay's on the 4th or the 6th in his first statement to SD LE, after saying on direct that the first time he was there was the 13th, the defense point out it was with Merritt, and he had to meet Merritt at a gas station because he didn't know where they lived (yet said he drove by on the 4th or 6th?)

IIRC, LE did investigate Mike early on, I don't think he was named a POI or suspect, but it was statements like the above that probably didn't do Mike any favors. JMO

SAN BERNARDINO, Calif. (KABC) --
In emotional testimony, the mother of Joseph McStay took the witness stand and recalled the moment she learned the remains of her son, his wife, and their boys, ages 4 and 3, had been found in 2013.

Susan Blake was the first witness called to the stand in the murder trial of Charles "Chase" Merritt, accused of killing the McStay family in 2010.

"He told me they found their bodies and they were.... they were dead all of them. I fell to the ground," Blake testified. "I kept saying it can't be. I asked him about the little guys and they told me that they were also gone."

The McStay family disappeared in 2010 without a trace from their Fallbrook home. Three years later, their remains were discovered in two shallow graves in the High Desert. Blake visited the site six months later.

Mother of murder victim Joseph McStay testifies in trial

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member