Found Deceased CA - John Sturkie, 55, planned to go to the beach, Oceanside, San Diego County, 4 Jan 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Big update. From same link above (Please Help Find John Sturkie), remains have been found that are believed to be John Sturkie, although the family is still awaiting official confirmation from the coroner's office. No details released.

"Today I got a call from the coroner. While dna has not been done yet, authorities are pretty sure it is you."

I'm glad they found him but of course wish they had found him alive somehow. I wonder if we'll ever know if his death was a result of an accident, foul play, or suicide. I'm guessing it was probably suicide.

Big update. From same link above (Please Help Find John Sturkie), remains have been found that are believed to be John Sturkie, although the family is still awaiting official confirmation from the coroner's office. No details released.

"Today I got a call from the coroner. While dna has not been done yet, authorities are pretty sure it is you."

I'm glad they found him but of course wish they had found him alive somehow. I wonder if we'll ever know if his death was a result of an accident, foul play, or suicide. I'm guessing it was probably suicide.

I’m so sorry, but it’s much better to know than not to know. My first guess is accident—but I wonder if there were other factors that led to poor evaluation of risks.

I’m so sorry, but it’s much better to know than not to know. My first guess is accident—but I wonder if there were other factors that led to poor evaluation of risks.

Just seems so weird that those men offered to help him and drive him to get help for his car, but he refused and instead stayed in the car where conditions were obviously dangerous. So either those men were lying, or something shady/unusual was going on with John.

Just seems so weird that those men offered to help him and drive him to get help for his car, but he refused and instead stayed in the car where conditions were obviously dangerous. So either those men were lying, or something shady/unusual was going on with John.
I know—and so strange that LE never seemed particularly concerned, too,

I was hoping for, but not expecting, a different outcome.

The search last week was meant to be the last one until after the summer. I assume his body is what they saw through the scope but couldn't access. Great job by all the volunteers to help get the family some resolution.

ETA: Just read the full post on fb. It was the Riverside County Sheriff that searched and found him. Goes to show that just because they're not releasing information doesn't mean they are doing nothing.

Last edited:

Maybe he did plan on harming himself and had been sitting up there, trying to get up the nerve?

This is so sad. Do we know where the body was located? Was it close to where his truck was? If we even know that much info yet. I was hoping he’d decided to go off the grid for a while, just get away from everything. I didn’t really think he’d kill him self, IF that’s even what happened. If it’s him, I am glad he’s found. The never knowing is such a hell. jmo

“John Sturkie disappeared nearly six months ago. His wife, Theresa, is now making arrangements to bury his body.”

“Sturkie’s truck became stuck on the trail as a snowstorm was blowing in, but despite the men’s offer to drive him down the mountain to safety, he chose to stay with the truck. Based on the location of his remains, it appears Sturkie had been hiking down the mountain toward Interstate 10 when he apparently died of injuries from a fall.

“Sturkie didn’t have any gloves with him and was wearing only a light jacket and knit cap. Based on injuries the coroner found on the knuckles of his hands, it’s believed Sturkie put his socks on his hands to protect them while trying to free his truck from the rocks. When he was unsuccessful, he stayed in the truck, apparently running the heater to keep himself warm until the truck ran out of gas. Then he filled a backpack with supplies and his cellphone and began hiking out.”

Closure for family as body found

“John Sturkie disappeared nearly six months ago. His wife, Theresa, is now making arrangements to bury his body.”

“Sturkie’s truck became stuck on the trail as a snowstorm was blowing in, but despite the men’s offer to drive him down the mountain to safety, he chose to stay with the truck. Based on the location of his remains, it appears Sturkie had been hiking down the mountain toward Interstate 10 when he apparently died of injuries from a fall.

“Sturkie didn’t have any gloves with him and was wearing only a light jacket and knit cap. Based on injuries the coroner found on the knuckles of his hands, it’s believed Sturkie put his socks on his hands to protect them while trying to free his truck from the rocks. When he was unsuccessful, he stayed in the truck, apparently running the heater to keep himself warm until the truck ran out of gas. Then he filled a backpack with supplies and his cellphone and began hiking out.”

Sad. I don't understand his refusal of the ride, unless he wasn't in his right mind.

During one search in late May, volunteer searcher [CT] spotted a bloody sock about 100 feet in front of the truck in the direction of mile marker 193 on the Pacific Crest Trail.

[JS's wife] and [CT] believe Sturkie got on the trail heading down the mountain where he could get a cellphone signal to call for help. But heavy snow on the trail led him to miss a switchback just a few miles away and he became lost before taking a fatal fall into a ravine.

Sad. I don't understand his refusal of the ride, unless he wasn't in his right mind.

During one search in late May, volunteer searcher [CT] spotted a bloody sock about 100 feet in front of the truck in the direction of mile marker 193 on the Pacific Crest Trail.

[JS's wife] and [CT] believe Sturkie got on the trail heading down the mountain where he could get a cellphone signal to call for help. But heavy snow on the trail led him to miss a switchback just a few miles away and he became lost before taking a fatal fall into a ravine.

I truly don’t think he was in his right mind. He never told his wife he was going up there to begin with. I’m just glad they found his remains. So many others are never found.

Thank the good Lord he was finally found. I admire his wife for being so tenacious, and now she's going to continue to try to help other missing persons' families. It's so terribly sad John declined the offer of help and we'll never know why :(

I'm so glad he was found. Perhaps when the other hikers found him, John still thought he could get his truck free from the rocks. If the hikers had come by an hour or two later, maybe John would have gone with them. RIP John, and condolences to his family and friends. John had a wife that never gave up trying to find him. Thanks go to the Riverside County Sheriff's deputies that did find John.

I live where he lived, I never heard of this case. Sounds like he wasn't in his right mind when the men offered him the ride- he may have been under the influence and was afraid he would get in trouble by the cops. He must have later realized that was a foolish mistake and set out on his own. Very sad.

Glad his family got at least some closure. To set off for I-10 from fuller ridge? That is really steep, rugged terrain. I'm fit, comfortable w/off trail travel-and that is daunting.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robincus030
Back