Found Deceased CA - John Wooner, 57, city manager, Bakersfield, 14 May 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The release automatically triggers COBRA notifications. Most public employees also have life insurance but I’m not sure how or when the spouse could tap into that, or any retirement/401k benefits.

I’m a paralegal and have worked for close to 25 years in an employment law firm. It would be better to have my boss become a verified insider as I can state what I’ve seen done in previous cases but cannot actually give legal advice.
Thank you to both you and Valiant for your responses. I will respectfully say (as an amateur), that I would not have taken this approach...budget or not. But then again, I don't know what went on to prompt this. I guess it's best to keep my amateur speculations to myself until we know more! : )
Thank you and Valiant for the responses.

Amateur opinion and speculation

Thank you to both you and Valiant for your responses. I will respectfully say (as an amateur), that I would not have taken this approach...budget or not. But then again, I don't know what went on to prompt this. I guess it's best to keep my amateur speculations to myself until we know more! : )
Thank you and Valiant for the responses.

I totally understand your position and feel for his wife and children who are probably now in a precarious financial situation. City managers normally earn good six figure salaries. I really hope he is found soon.

accepted the position of Police Chief and then became the first City Manager of Arvin California. Cynthia worked for the County of Kern, Assessors Office until she retired and she and Orval moved to Bakersfield to be near thei rchildren. Left to mourn her loss are her daughter and son-in-law Aurora and Mark Roomsburg. The Funeral service for Cynthia will be held on Thursday August 2nd 2018 @ 2:00 pm at Hillcrest Memorial Park & Mortuary.

BBM. " Their children" but yet only survived by daughter and son-in-law??

Maybe he was estranged from his mother and was not invited to his fathers service. Or perhaps with family difficulty, he chose not to attend to risk discomfort for himself or the others. They didn't even mention his children.

I'd read a little about John's father, Orval, early on, but hadn't seen this. Thanks for sharing. John has a wife and four children and a sister. Man, I feel for them.
Where are you, John, and where is the truck you drove?
I still hold to the speculation he had a medical episode and is off-road, yet to be found. I know all the other tidbits of info point to some issue at work, but this makes the most sense to me.

He may have been estranged from his whole family, even though he is included in the father's obit but not the mother's. His father died first (2005) so the obit would have been written by his mother (she would have had the final say, at least.) A mother would be likely to list all of her children, even if they were estranged.

When the mother died in 2018, I'm guessing the daughter wrote the obituary (John's sister) and chose to pretend John didn't even exist!

MOO. I'm a genealogist, and have read a lot of obituaries. I don't ever remember seeing a full sibling written out of a parent's obit!

Scratching my head. Who thinks he's alive, and who thinks he's not? It's 50/50 for me.

It's so strange they haven't found the truck.
Or, perhaps they have and the public hasn't been advised.
I find it VERY strange that they terminated a man that is missing. I can site a bunch of reasons why that (IMO), was a stupid move. However, it will derail the focus of the thread, so won't.

Look off road folks. Look off road.

As always, just an amateur opinion and speculation

There are pictures of a little boy and girl in the pictures provided by the family with the mothers obituary. Not mentioning her son is strange. Such beautiful pictures of his mother.

I find it VERY strange that they terminated a man that is missing. I can site a bunch of reasons why that (IMO), was a stupid move.
Why? He's not performing the job and they likely need someone to step in to fill the position. They can't just make special circumstances for one person who doesn't show up for work.
Sorry, it sounds cold but if you don't do the job you won't have the job or the pay.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NancyChancy
Back