CA - Jonathan Gerrish, Ellen Chung, daughter, 1 & dog, suspicious death hiking area, Aug 2021 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Regarding cell phone service. I recently stayed in an AirBnB in Mariposa. The property was located on Hites Cove Rd, probably a mile from where they started their hike. Anyway, I was warned there was no cell service, or very bad service throughout the area. And this was true, there was no service and we had to connect via the internet. This couple lived there too and surely would have known about the sketchy cell service, not just on the trail but also the surrounding area.

But as heat stroke strikes, rational thought processes goes out of the window. The brain is shutting down.

Don't forget Ellen also had health problems, so may have not been able to carry the baby in normal circumstances, let alone in the heat and uphill and in distress.

In fact, the weekend before weren't they seen at a museum and it was noted it was the Dad who was carrying the baby then too.
I agree with everything you said. I think it's possible that she thought it would be most expedient to go for help alone, & imo that could be a form of mother's instinct, too.

I've also been thinking a lot about Ellen's TBI, which appears to have been really life-altering for her (leaving her full-time office job, for example). I administer assessments of TBI for neuropsychologists, & some people do not ever fully regain aspects of their prior functioning & can have permanent symptoms (slowed processing, headaches, etc). If she had any permanent effects of her concussion, these coupled with the intense physical & emotional stress they were under could really have contributed to her thought processes.

I don't think they died of heat stroke or poisoned water or CO2 from mines.
Autopsy showed absolutely nothing, not a single hint of anything.
Until the toxicology result is out,
I'm going with death caused by unknown supernatural force or something like possessed by an evil spirit.
Besides, the place is called Devil's Gulch.
It's difficult to take all 4 lives at the same time at the same spot.
Dog would've wandered around, and one of the three human beings would've shown something in autopsy.

Well, there really isn't much in the way of documented precedence for that theory, but we all think different things.

As far as the name of the place, there is a range of reasons for choosing the word "devil" or something similar when naming a location, anything from an unfriendly physical environment to the religious beliefs of cultures that came years before us, but most do not involve the devil's actual presence. Most of those names were given to these places many, many years ago by people who weren't as pragmatic as we like to think people are today.

Devil Places

While your faith may influence you to steer clear of places with connotations of evil, I'm inclined to think that it's not such a deterrent to many other people out there enjoying the unique qualities of these places, and the name probably didn't have any bearing on how these people died. MOO.

I'm going with death caused by unknown supernatural force or something like possessed by an evil spirit.
Dog would've wandered around, and one of the three human beings would've shown something in autopsy.
Well, heat stroke or electrolyte issues can be difficult to detect in autopsies without further investigation from what I understand. Dog being debilitated would mean it couldn’t wander around.

But you are right: once all the possible explanations are discounted then all you’re left with is the impossible, no matter how improbable it might seem. Everything possible must be eliminated first, though.

But as heat stroke strikes, rational thought processes goes out of the window. The brain is shutting down.

Don't forget Ellen also had health problems, so may have not been able to carry the baby in normal circumstances, let alone in the heat and uphill and in distress.

In fact, the weekend before weren't they seen at a museum and it was noted it was the Dad who was carrying the baby then too.
Very often, with those backpack carriers, it's the Dad who carries the baby. Note the huge difference in size between him and her. Those backpacks with the baby end up quite heavy, maybe 30 lbs in this situation. [Though they could have had one of Deuter's lighter, smaller, models.] Also, these are "one size fits all" packs; they tend not to fit small women well at all: they are bulky and much too long. The weight of the baby tends to be a bit far from the body compared to most regular (non-baby) backpacks as well. The upshot of this is that they jerk your back every step; this is very common in average or below average women. IME [This happens a lot with several popular Osprey backpacks, too. When you go hiking, watch women wearing overnight packs, and you will see many jerk every step. IME. Guys generally don't have this problem, since they have the upper body strength to compensate for it.]
Bottom-line, IMO the carrier would have been very unlikely to end up on her back.

Regarding cell phone service. I recently stayed in an AirBnB in Mariposa. The property was located on Hites Cove Rd, probably a mile from where they started their hike. Anyway, I was warned there was no cell service, or very bad service throughout the area. And this was true, there was no service and we had to connect via the internet. This couple lived there too and surely would have known about the sketchy cell service, not just on the trail but also the surrounding area.
I'm really surprised they didn't have a PLB to compensate for lack of cell service in the area, and because they did so much backcountry stuff.

I agree with everything you said. I think it's possible that she thought it would be most expedient to go for help alone, & imo that could be a form of mother's instinct, too.

I've also been thinking a lot about Ellen's TBI, which appears to have been really life-altering for her (leaving her full-time office job, for example). I administer assessments of TBI for neuropsychologists, & some people do not ever fully regain aspects of their prior functioning & can have permanent symptoms (slowed processing, headaches, etc). If she had any permanent effects of her concussion, these coupled with the intense physical & emotional stress they were under could really have contributed to her thought processes.

They were experienced hikers. I don't think she'd be mentally weak in any kind of circumstances.
Unless you know her personally, there's no way of knowing how she might've could've reacted under stressful situations.
Do you really believe that she went only 30 meters out from where her family was before passing out?
How long did it take her to get to that 30 meter distance? It'd take most people only about a minute or two to get to 30 meters(~100 ft) of uphill trail.
Healthy people don't just drop dead like that altegother.

It's my understanding that this was NOT a treed area, or near a treed area.
I believe that this area had a fire not too long ago, and what little tree coverage they had on the trail is now gone. I may have misunderstood this though and happy to be corrected.

As far as all dying of heatstroke, I believe that a number of people have posted on here with valid theories as to how that could have happened. And the trail is well-trafficked during spring, fall and possibly winter, but it's clear that summer is not well-trafficked due to the heat.

Your other points are well-taken though. I can't imagine what you've seen during the course of your practice!

They recently moved to the area - I wonder why they decided to go hiking on this particular trail.

Did they know it was fairly remote?

It would help if we knew why they decided on this particular trail.

I believe the autopsy would show signs of organ failure, but that’s not a cause of death- they’d wait for toxicology to see if something caused that.

Last edited:
This may have been asked and I missed it, so apologies in advance. Would signs of heatstroke be found in an autopsy? Or would signs be seen when they were found? Would you try to undress if affected by the heat? Would a dog instinctively find shade and try cool himself? How long would you need to be in the sun for heatstroke to affect three people and a dog in such a short time frame?
These are some good questions that help gather information, thank you. I’ve looked around and found this quite informative article on heatstroke.
pathophysiology of heat-related illness and death :: www.forensicmed.co.uk

Further down it mentions the post mortem stage. I’m no expert obviously, but it seems to say that it’s hard to establish and that it’s usually settled on once all other possibilities are eliminated and the conditions to assume heat stroke are present. Nonetheless, there are some clues like brain and liver damage. I’m not sure on autopsy processes but I should imagine there might be biopsies done for things like this that would also need to be sent away for testing. It could be the initial autopsy was to eliminate more obvious causes (injury, trauma, and so on). As far as I can make out, bar observations of fatigue, collapse, coma, there is no outward sign on bodies.

But yes, you would assume they may undress but they are experienced hikers so they must know the right protocol is to cool the body down. This makes me wonder again if heat is the answer or if something else was going on. If it was heatstroke (say the baby), the right thing to do would be to stay by the river and try cool her down in the water. Or any of them. I know it’s supposed to have the bacteria but I’m not sure if this is in pockets and they could have found parts of the river to at least cool down.

Again, it’s a steep and difficult climb but it’s hard to imagine heatstroke affecting one of them or the baby suddenly coming on say at the start of the climb (and they were still closer to the river) and then suddenly incapacitating one of them about half way up. It’s a tricky climb, a very hot day, but I doubt it would have happened so quickly. So again I’m led back to the other poster’s scenario that perhaps the father got a muscle pull or strain, waited for Ellen to go get help and for some reason she collapsed on the mountain and he then went to look for her with the heat and stress felling him too. Even that doesn’t seem very plausible I know given how fit and experienced they were but it’s still a little more plausible than heatstroke suddenly collapsing the dad in a relatively very short space of time while he began the climb.

The dog, yes, I think it depends on each dog so it’s hard to say but if it could’ve moved and had the inclination to, it could certainly have got back down to the river to drink or cool off and relatively quickly. This assumes the dog was able to though and also depends on the dog in question and other variables so I think it’s hard to say one way or the other.

The couple’s house sits near the head of Hites Cove Trail, and hours after the family was reported missing at about 11:00 PM, the trailhead is where police started looking. A Sheriff’s Deputy found the couple’s truck parked near the trail’s entrance around 2 AM. 9 hours later, and 1.5 miles from the truck, in an area known as a Devil’s Gulch, a Search-and-Rescue team found Gerrish, Chung, their daughter, Miju, and the dog.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/08/23/mariposa-family-death-mystery/

The family were regular weekend hikers, taking Miju with them in a baby-carrier on their backs.

The bizarre deaths of the Gerrish family in Devil’s Gulch — StrangeOutdoors.com

A question for those familiar with this trail and the flora that grows along it:

Are there any bushes lining the trail that grow berries on it - perhaps a berry fatal to both dog and human which they may have accidentally ingested?

To me, the most disturbing part of this case, is they were all found on the trail, not off the trail, perhaps in a small clearing near the trail itself, to take a rest or break.
If there was no shade anywhere or no special reason to be off the trail, being exactly on the trail was VERY sensible, because you cannot be missed if someone comes along who can rescue you.
There were no trees anywhere.

Can't we assume and agree that heat played a part in whatever happened? Either it was the full culprit or part culprit, imo. And if they were in the throes of heat stroke, few rational decisions would have been made at the end of their lives. Finding Dad and Baby in the middle of the trail may have been what gave LE the feeling that it was a mystery. But from what I've read about heat stroke, it progresses quickly and attacks the brain. The brain, then the body just stops.

--

As someone who has had a TBI, one of my major symptoms was intolerance of heat and sunlight. A mild sunny day could make me feel crazed without a hat and sunglasses. Even 3 years later, I still suffer those symptoms, which my doctor says are not unusual.

A question for those familiar with this trail and the flora that grows along it:

Are there any bushes lining the trail that grow berries on it - perhaps a berry fatal to both dog and human which they may have accidentally ingested?
The hiker's report posted a few posts ago mentioned lots of poison oak, and also chemise.

Those kinds of plants would probably have sprung back quickly after the fire, plus other wildflowers and shrubs. I think everything except trees might have been there in abundance.

So maybe there was a little shade, if they were in an area where shrubs were more than a few feet tall. But not much.

I assume poison oak would have been observable during autopsy. Maybe also true for anything they ate, as it would still be in their stomachs?

Really curious to see what the dog's autopsy reveals.

MOO

I disagree. I hike often in 90+ degree weather, and it is frequently done all over the world. I live (and hike!) in South Florida where temps are over 90 degrees for 8 months and for 6 of those months humidity can be 80%+. It's really not a big deal if you're prepared and have water.
You are probably acclimated to the heat. I’m not so sure if this couple was used to the extremes. He is from northern England. High temps there are only around 70 f during the summer. That is considered a heat wave there! The couple lived in the mild climate of San Francisco before moving to Mariposa County.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bear_With_Me