CA - Jonathan Gerrish, Ellen Chung, daughter, 1 & dog, suspicious death hiking area, Aug 2021 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe there has to be more to the tragic circumstances that happened here. These were well educated, presumably bright people, experienced in hiking. I just don’t see where, in any situation, you would think it’s a good idea to go hiking in that weather with a baby and dog. I have a husky cross and don’t even take her out walking when it’s more than 21c - she does not do well in the heat. In those temperatures the ground would be extremely hot and it would be like walking on fire for the poor dog. Not to mention the extreme heat for the baby sitting in a papoose type thing. Even if they did set off expecting it to be cooler, after getting out of their car and walking for 5 mins, they would realise it was a bad idea and turn back surely? I just don’t see any ‘right minded’ person doing so, which makes me think that maybe for whatever reason they were both ‘affected’ in some way before the hike, causing them to make a decision they would not normally make in their right minds? Just MOO.
I agree with you. I think heatstroke theories are rational but I personally have trouble getting there. I’m not a criminal or tort lawyer, but in law you have different standards for culpability based on not knowing (negligence), “should have known” (recklessness), or knew (intentional) (over-simplifying).

If they looked at the weather forecast, they at least “should have known” that temps would be above 90 and “should have known” that it is very dangerous for dogs and babies to be in those temps for hours. According to LE, they were almost to the end of an 8.5M route - why didn’t they turn around before the halfway point?

I’ve always thought there was an intentional component to this because I am making the leap from reckless to intentional. Depending on how big that leap is for you, you may not agree and that’s reasonable. Given their experience and intelligence, I just don’t understand how they could be continually reckless, mile after mile, without some degree of intention (i.e., murder-suicide or suicide pact). I hope I’m wrong.

A question, please:
Is there any known, actual quote by Sheriff Brease where he states that this poor family was doing the entire loop???
If so, how would LE know that, I wonder...?
The only thing I can come up with here, is that LE somehow was able to confirm that there were no footprints/pawprints on the Savage-Lundy Trail on the stretch from where their Ford Raptor truck was parked at the gate and where the family was found further down the trail....
Any ideas?

In thread #1, there's early MSM where evidence suggests the outing by the family was planned as a day trip (i.e., supplies, remaining water found with victims, work on Monday, nanny & family interviews). The early departure from home is also confirmed.

CA - Jonathan Gerrish, Ellen Chung, daughter, 1 & dog, suspicious death remote hiking area, Aug 2021

CA - Jonathan Gerrish, Ellen Chung, daughter, 1 & dog, suspicious death remote hiking area, Aug 2021

Last edited:
If they actually were hiking the loop, they may have been in trouble, heatwise, before they even reached the river.

Once there, they may have tried various ways to cool off, including getting in the river or soaking their clothes, depending on their awareness/perception of the algae issue. Maybe there is good shade at the river if the fire didn't hit all the way down to the water?

They may have hung out down there trying to cool themselves off before tackling the climb back out, and of course the longer they delayed the hotter it got.

Even without food or much water left, I wonder if they would have had a better chance by hanging out all day and overnight and hiking out at dawn?

MOO

I’ve always thought there was an intentional component to this because I am making the leap from reckless to intentional. Depending on how big that leap is for you, you may not agree and that’s reasonable. Given their experience and intelligence, I just don’t understand how they could be continually reckless, mile after mile, without some degree of intention (i.e., murder-suicide or suicide pact). I hope I’m wrong.
I'm not aware of a single example of a couple committing suicide by deciding to hike in the heat for several hours before dying in the middle of a trail on the way back to their car.

Sure, you can find examples of people hiking a mile or so to the top of a scenic overlook before shooting themselves in the head or jumping off a cliff, but nothing remotely like that happened here. The facts just don't fit a "suicide pact" theory.

I'm not aware of a single example of a couple committing suicide by deciding to hike in the heat for several hours before dying in the middle of a trail on the way back to their car.

Sure, you can find examples of people hiking a mile or so to the top of a scenic overlook before shooting themselves in the head or jumping off a cliff, but nothing remotely like that happened here. The facts just don't fit a "suicide pact" theory.
Well I’m not theorizing that they committed suicide via heat. But that, if one or both had a plan via poisoning, the heat would not have deterred them.

August 14: John Gerrish researches Hites Cove hike via phone app.

I'm wondering if he made the same mistake dozens of online researchers have made this past week and confused the easier, much shorter, and comfortable "Hite Cove Trail" from the 140 to Hite Cove, with the brutal "Hites Cove Road to Savage-Lundy" trail. Perhaps, they saw the name of the dirt road by their house also being named Hites, and assumed they lived at the end of the same trail. That would also explain why they only brought 3L of water for 3 people and a dog.

But once you go down that exposed 5 miles of southern slope, there's no way out except to either go hiking to the 140 through the river 10 miles with a 1-year-old as the heat is increasing, or trying to get back up the 3-5 mile (reports keep differing) switchback you just came down. Possibly a scenario that by the time they realized they were on a much more difficult hike than they thought, the baby was already showing signs of heat stroke, and they pushed themselves harder than their bodies could handle back up that slope in an effort to save the baby.

And according to his All Trails Logs, most of his recent hikes this summer weren’t that long or difficult. And although his recent Activity List, has his completed Hites Cove saved, added and completed 4 years ago, I suppose in those 4 years, he could have forgotten where it was located and accidentally went on the wrong trail?

Also, check out these reviews of hikers that have attempted or completed the true trail. If only they had read the reviews perhaps they would have realized their mistake in advance.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/J9CfNCwZyKtFHEdY6

I think this is a great idea you have that they—like posters here—confused two Hite Cove trails. I can't imagine they planned for a difficult or long hike: it just doesn't match up against their experience. Heck, it doesn't match up against even an itty bitty bit of experience.
Regardless, they could have just turned around if the trail wasn't what they anticipated, the conditions weren't right, etc. For some reason, if they did, they didn't do so in time.

Reading some of your comments and projecting them onto the mindset of the unfortunate hikers has me pursuing another angle. That is; the perception of fear of toxic water, dismissing its life-giving properties, may have doomed this family.

(Not that it’s important but I have property 10 crow miles from this location, have hiked the area for over 50 years but not for decades in (a normal) summertime, preferring the high country @ 10,000’ where it is 25 deg cooler (14C). From Mariposa this is not an easy option these days with reservations required and a long entry to Yosemite and then a 2-hour drive)

What I believe, or at least willing to defend:

The party: Decision-making adults seem responsible and enthusiastic. The baby, and lesser extent, dog are problematic and burdensome.

The route: A planned loop hike, minimum five hours and because of conditions (hot), trail features (river) and additional load (baby, dog) easily 6-7 hours. Yes, it’s doable, (but I ain’t doin it, my dogs would bail before me despite running circles around me all day, a punishing, exposed climb in the hot afternoon sun is the Great Equalizer, carrying a dog is a pain, and I’m not hauling a baby carrier, my handful of years in that getup were very bittersweet, the hiking was bitter. The few people I know who would attempt this lean towards ‘hardcore’. I’ve mentioned it before, however, it’s no surprise they were not spotted on trail for 51 hours (assuming 8 am @ TH verified?). But they are eager despite some underestimations, which is common and anticipated and why hikers carry gear.

Gear: An internal bladder pack with minimal water as disclosed by LE, important as a sample exists for testing. Tremendous leap of faith to assume this is all they were carrying. I would be confident they had appropriate clothing, sun protection, food but…it all comes down to water.

Tellingly, did they have filtration equipment and plan to filter along the way? Or without filtration, a carrying capacity of 8L (16 lbs)? If they do have a filter device, however, they are definitely intending to interact with the river.

The River: My, what a beauty! The Wild and Scenic South Fork of the Merced River. If you have an image by now of a toxic, scum-filled cesspool littered with dead trout, it’s time to rethink the Giver of Life. After descending in the morning heat, a welcome sight. Cool, clear water flowing between its gently-sloping shady banks. Attached to this idyllic setting, however, is a cautionary sign.

The Sign: It was prudent for the FS to post the cautionary sign—just that, cautionary, their lowest advisory—about the blue green algal mats/bloom cyanotoxin thing about a month before. It’s real, nothing new, particularly this time of year during recent brutal summers. I’m avoiding it, thanks for the reminder but I’ll still be able to safely enjoy the river—even if limited to soaking my feet as I enjoy a picnic—and yes dogs serve as a canary in the gold mine with these toxins.

As new residents, was the family aware of the sign or the toxin threat before encountering it and, if not, how may this alert have altered their plans, specifically as it relates to drinking water and future on-the-spot decision making?

The Decision: At the midpoint of their hike (in mileage but a relatively easy 4 miles) and at its redeeming feature, did they take inventory of freshwater (hopefully 4-5L min) and fearful of the toxicity of the river, hurry through that two mile oasis, dragging the 60 lbs of baby/water/gear while nervously eyeing the dog in a desperate attempt to outlast their drinking water and outrace the sun in an upward climb?

The climb: Initially pleasant along a side creek canyon also offering sanctuary, soon it turns toward a forsaken, inhospitable, suffocating pit. Up, upwards above the ridge is the vehicle and the new home. But it’s always further than it looks and it’s getting hotter, distress has arrived. From this point on, it never gets better. Taking a look below, however, in clear view is the glint of the river and it’s border of greenery.

The Prognosis: Heatstroke, most definitely I share the prevailing opinion. Why not retreat to the river, submerge and cool your core? Dehydrated and tapped out? Lap it up. We filter for intestinal parasites, which can be uncomfortable a week after exposure. (OK, OK someone will remind me how ‘poisonous’ it is). Many people carry only a 1L collapsible bottle and simple filter and use their judgment whether to filter from source-source but, again, that ain’t me.

Well, with this prognosis, the ‘how comes?’ ‘why didn’t’? ‘I would’ve’? are meaningless. As the brain and organs begin their slow melt, reason and physicality is greatly and progressively impaired. Or, the exact opposite of an adrenaline rush, produced by the brain in response to injury/trauma providing super-human strength, labor-sharp focus and ability to suppress pain.
Heatstroke ain’t like that, there is no ‘fight or flight’, the only signals the brain is sending is “roll over”. The river would have saved them. 12 days later, if experienced outdoors they could still be camping down there. Before reasoning compromised, did they have an unfounded fear of its offerings? It is never easy to decide to turn back, or bivvy, or solicit help when of sound mind.

Every time I think of the baby I break. Propped up like statues, they probably thought all they needed was to rest, in that hellhole, being consumed by it. So sad.

Once the phone comes back we will have a route in all likelihood. If they went down the SL trail they had to know how steep it was, there are switchbacks. If they did the whole loop, that is quite a distance, and with the steep several miles climb out. I have seen the elevation change for SL listed as 1400 and as 1900, that is quite a climb in extreme heat.
They could have been found as far as they got, though. I don't think we can assume they made it down to the river.

Well I’m not theorizing that they committed suicide via heat. But that, if one or both had a plan via poisoning, the heat would not have deterred them.
But if one or both wanted to die via poisoning, why bother hiking for several hours first? And why would they be returning to their car?

I mean, anything is possible, but what you're imagining is so far outside the realm of plausibility that it borders on the offensive, particularly because you're essentially suggesting that one or both parents murdered their child.

I think this is a great idea you have that they—like posters here—confused two Hite Cove trails. I can't imagine they planned for a difficult or long hike: it just doesn't match up against their experience. Heck, it doesn't match up against even an itty bitty bit of experience.
Regardless, they could have just turned around if the trail wasn't what they anticipated, the conditions weren't right, etc. For some reason, if they did, they didn't do so in time.

MOO this is a possibility.

Did Jonathan or Ellen carry a pedometer while hiking to keep track of their mileage?

Strikes me a dying even a couple of days apart is unlikely. Your loved one, maybe with a baby, is sick to the point they can't move suddenly - you move. You don't wait for a chopper. They were all found together. Maybe they decided not to, but if you're right on the trail, seems to me you move.

Heat stroke en masse? This was a wooded area or near one, as I recall. Dogs, babies, and folks shouldn't all drop off from heat stroke within moments or even hours of each other with water sources nearby capable of giving them algae bloom or whatever. Or at least it's waaaaaaay off the scale of likelihood.
Snipped for focus

There's no evidence anyone was waiting for a chopper.
There are no trees and no shade. This is a burn area. It was over 100 degrees.

Yes, experienced hikers can make mistakes.

When I hike I typically have a backpack w/survival basics such as a first aid kit, fire starting kit, knife, and a handgun. If it's going to be hot, which is almost always, I carry a cool towel I can wet to cool me down. I always carry snacks, for a longer hike I'll pack a lunch. I almost always have rain gear and a rope. I also go out with a 3L bladder full and usually some 1L Smartwater bottles.

I can't tell you how many bottles I've given out on the trail but it's been many.

I almost always have a cooler in my truck with water, beer, and juice.

One of the worst hikes I ever did was last November when I hiked out to Nobles camp where Mostly Harmless died. Only a 5 mile hike on a gravel road. It was brutally hot and even though I started early, by the time I made it to the camp the sun was out and I bet it was over 100 degrees with the humidity. I actually hung around the well shaded campsite for a couple of hours looking for stuff and waiting for the sun to pass a bit. I had been smart enough to drop a liter of water a couple miles in for the way back and wouldn't you know it, I needed it.

The Florida sun and humidity can definitely be brutal when hiking spring through fall.

I also carry fruit with a high concentration of water with me. Oranges, watermelon chunks, grapes, tangerines, tangelos, strawberries, peaches. Last time I did a hike like that, it was only 3 miles, but the oranges were welcoming and very refreshing.

I initially thought something along those lines, but the more I've thought about the terrain & weather, I have a hard time seeing this scenario. The main reason is, I feel like if something like that were to have happened, wouldn't it have been done much sooner (earlier on the trail)? In this scenario, the one with the plot would have had put their own self through what just seems to me like an inordinate & unnecessary level of exertion. Just my opinion!

This is just a mind blowing case. Nothing makes sense, nothing fits. As a hiker myself getting heat exhaustion can definitely happen...but to everyone at once?..that ones out in my opinion.

The toxic algae seems a little weird to me to, I seriously doubt they bathed or drank that water? I can't believe this algae would be so bad it's airborne? Others would be sick?

This is what seems important to me.. Were there other animals sick nearby? If not then it had to be in something only they had....water bottles? Food?

I wonder if they, or even LE, saw any dead fish or other water animals in that river near the trail. Red Tide here in Florida tends to knock off the fish and turtles.

Red tides return to Florida, leaving beaches covered in dead fish

Reading some of your comments and projecting them onto the mindset of the unfortunate hikers has me pursuing another angle. That is; the perception of fear of toxic water, dismissing its life-giving properties, may have doomed this family.

(Not that it’s important but I have property 10 crow miles from this location, have hiked the area for over 50 years but not for decades in (a normal) summertime, preferring the high country @ 10,000’ where it is 25 deg cooler (14C). From Mariposa this is not an easy option these days with reservations required and a long entry to Yosemite and then a 2-hour drive)

The party: Decision-making adults seem responsible and enthusiastic. The baby, and lesser extent, dog are problematic and burdensome.

The route: A planned loop hike, minimum five hours and because of conditions (hot), trail features (river) and additional load (baby, dog) easily 6-7 hours. Yes, it’s doable, (but I ain’t doin it, my dogs would bail before me despite running circles around me all day, a punishing, exposed climb in the hot afternoon sun is the Great Equalizer, carrying a dog is a pain, and I’m not hauling a baby carrier, my handful of years in that getup were very bittersweet, the hiking was bitter. The few people I know who would attempt this lean towards ‘hardcore’. I’ve mentioned it before, however, it’s no surprise they were not spotted on trail for 51 hours (assuming 8 am @ TH verified?). But they are eager despite some underestimations, which is common and anticipated and why hikers carry gear.

Gear: An internal bladder pack with minimal water as disclosed by LE, important as a sample exists for testing. Tremendous leap of faith to assume this is all they were carrying. I would be confident they had appropriate clothing, sun protection, food but…it all comes down to water.

Tellingly, did they have filtration equipment and plan to filter along the way? Or without filtration, a carrying capacity of 8L (16 lbs)? If they do have a filter device, however, they are definitely intending to interact with the river.

The River: My, what a beauty! The Wild and Scenic South Fork of the Merced River. If you have an image by now of a toxic, scum-filled cesspool littered with dead trout, it’s time to rethink the Giver of Life. After descending in the morning heat, a welcome sight. Cool, clear water flowing between its gently-sloping shady banks. Attached to this idyllic setting, however, is a cautionary sign.

The Sign: It was prudent for the FS to post the cautionary sign—just that, cautionary, their lowest advisory—about the blue green algal mats/bloom cyanotoxin thing about a month before. It’s real, nothing new, particularly this time of year during recent brutal summers. I’m avoiding it, thanks for the reminder but I’ll still be able to safely enjoy the river—even if limited to soaking my feet as I enjoy a picnic—and yes dogs serve as a canary in the gold mine with these toxins.

As new residents, was the family aware of the sign or the toxin threat before encountering it and, if not, how may this alert have altered their plans, specifically as it relates to drinking water and future on-the-spot decision making?

The Decision: At the midpoint of their hike (in mileage but a relatively easy 4 miles) and at its redeeming feature, did they take inventory of freshwater (hopefully 4-5L min) and fearful of the toxicity of the river, hurry through that two mile oasis, dragging the 60 lbs of baby/water/gear while nervously eyeing the dog in a desperate attempt to outlast their drinking water and outrace the sun in an upward climb?

The climb: Initially pleasant along a side creek canyon also offering sanctuary, soon it turns toward a forsaken, inhospitable, suffocating pit. Up, upwards above the ridge is the vehicle and the new home. But it’s always further than it looks and it’s getting hotter, distress has arrived. From this point on, it never gets better. Taking a look below, however, in clear view is the glint of the river and it’s border of greenery.

The Prognosis: Heatstroke, most definitely I share the prevailing opinion. Why not retreat to the river, submerge and cool your core? Dehydrated and tapped out? Lap it up. We filter for intestinal parasites, which can be uncomfortable a week after exposure. (OK, OK someone will remind me how ‘poisonous’ it is). Many people carry only a 1L collapsible bottle and simple filter and use their judgment whether to filter from source-source but, again, that ain’t me.

Well, with this prognosis, the ‘how comes?’ ‘why didn’t’? ‘I would’ve’? are meaningless. As the brain and organs begin their slow melt, reason and physicality is greatly and progressively impaired. Or, the exact opposite of an adrenaline rush, produced by the brain in response to injury/trauma providing super-human strength, labor-sharp focus and ability to suppress pain.
Heatstroke ain’t like that, there is no ‘fight or flight’, the only signals the brain is sending is “roll over”. The river would have saved them. 12 days later, if experienced outdoors they could still be camping down there. Before reasoning compromised, did they have an unfounded fear of its offerings? It is never easy to decide to turn back, or bivvy, or solicit help when of sound mind.

Every time I think of the baby I break. Propped up like statues, they probably thought all they needed was to rest, in that hellhole, being consumed by it. So sad.

Thanks for the excellent well-written analysis, especially from a local. I mentioned a scenario similar to that a few pages back.

Any reason why the sheriff didn't immediately mention the heat as a possible cause?

I agree with you. I think heatstroke theories are rational but I personally have trouble getting there. I’m not a criminal or tort lawyer, but in law you have different standards for culpability based on not knowing (negligence), “should have known” (recklessness), or knew (intentional) (over-simplifying).

If they looked at the weather forecast, they at least “should have known” that temps would be above 90 and “should have known” that it is very dangerous for dogs and babies to be in those temps for hours. According to LE, they were almost to the end of an 8.5M route - why didn’t they turn around before the halfway point?

I now suspect this tragedy was all about the extreme heat, although speaking as generally and vaguely as possible, I do wonder about the head trauma mentioned in past posts. I know personally a person who had head trauma from a sporting activity, and I felt like he later exhibited unusual symptoms over the years, culminating in several self-harm attempts which fortunately weren't successful due to intervention.

In thread #1, there's early MSM where evidence suggests the outing by the family was planned as a day trip (i.e., supplies, remaining water found with victims, work on Monday, nanny & family interviews). The early departure from home is also confirmed.

I posted about this earlier here:
I agree with this and the comment being replied to. One thing that throws me is talk that they “.... were on a day hike”. But I’ve looked around on this and there’s no direct quote from the authorities. The Mirror (that it seems safe to say has already embellished on the “... [dog] attached” aspect) is the only one that says this (that I can make out given I can’t access the WP and SF Chronicle). The Sun and People both say “... what was supposed to be a day hike“. Word for word so again looks like they’re lifting from each other in a syndicate. Interestingly, both place these words round about the part of the story when it mentions them first being reported missing which in other more reliable sources has the quote from the sheriff that they weren’t planning on staying out overnight. So I do wonder if this “day hike” is again a red herring that’s been cooked up by the press and was never actually said. I certainly can’t seem to find a quote for it.

I can’t find any quote for a day hike. Only two U.K. tabloids and People in the US (that looks like it’s in a syndicate with one of the U.K. tabloids). The other tabloid is also the one responsible for the confusing/misleading language on the dog being “attached” to the father so I suspect it’s also embellished here. As it is, there’s no verifiable source that the authorities believe they were on a day hike.

I've not been super active here, but I've been watching (and researching) every step of the way. I do appreciate this poetic take - and truly, it is poetry - but I wonder if we haven't reached the plateau of speculation. I'm seeing some wild things thrown about here and I think we've perhaps reached a point where we might need to simply wait for some more evidence.

Sorry, sfinkz - I'm aiming this at your post because it's convenient (and I truly do think your last post is hugely poetic, if nothing else) but there seems to be an awful lot of circling around the little evidence we have, here. Of course, I'm very open to new takes until we do hear more from the tox screenings!

<modsnip>>

EDITED: for line breaks and clarity of my slightly messy message. Plus, I'd just like to reiterate that you really do have a way with words, sfinkz! If you ever feel like indulging your inner poet, I'd gladly preorder that title...

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member