CA - Jonathan Gerrish, Ellen Chung, daughter, 1 & dog, suspicious death hiking area, Aug 2021 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
There are separate orders dealing with distinct issues. You linked to an order from the USDA Forest Service closing all national forests in California from August 31 to September 17. That order is about fire danger.

Three days ago, the Forest Supervisor of the Sierra National Forest issued an order closing the Merced River Recreation Site from August 29 through September 26. (The Merced River Recreation Site is where the family was hiking.) Here is some context about that order:

"As a precaution and to protect the public from unknown hazards in the area, The SNF decided to close several recreation sites, roads, and trails along the Merced River and its South Fork, until deemed safe for public use. It is important to note that as of mid-July, Forest officials have posted warning signs of potentially harmful algal blooms (HABs) identified in the South Fork of the Merced River."

Source: Sierra National Forest issues Forest Order | Sierra News Online

One order has nothing to do with the other. The SNF order closing the Merced River Recreation Site was in effect before (and will still be in effect after) the USDA order expires.
I think this assumes we have the real reason for the closure of the Hite Cove area. I don’t believe we do.
And sure, the Hite Cove order anticipated the other, but that doesn’t mean the fire order wasn’t in the works and the Forest Service added a few days to it, and called it something else.
I still think toxins aren’t the real reason for the closure, and fire may not be as big an issue there as elsewhere. But the Forest Service REALLY does have to keep people out who would be hunting for “clues”. I doubt they could say that in a PSA without paradoxically becoming a magnet.

Many National Parks you can drive into, so they would not be closing. When they did close for COVID, there was a huge amount of damage by vandals. E.g. Joshua Tree.
Some parks close in winter, because the snow is too deep, e.g. Crater Lake and many parts of Yellowstone. Some parks have such varied temps at any one time, it would make no sense to close them.
IMO closing for heat is a bit more of a challenge because a heat wave because the heat wave often lasts just a few days.
On the other hand, heat is part of the attraction at Death Valley.

Most people go to Death Valley in the early spring, to see the flowers, and in winter. Only tourists go to Death Valley in the summer. Hiking is best there in mid winter.

Scotty's Castle is worth the trip, but I believe it has been closed for repairs. Not sure.

But, folks from the area, would more than likely NOT go to Death Valley in the summer.

Which again, brings up the issue that these folks were new to Yosemite in the summer.

Most people go to Death Valley in the early spring, to see the flowers, and in winter. Only tourists go to Death Valley in the summer. Hiking is best there in mid winter.

Scotty's Castle is worth the trip, but I believe it has been closed for repairs. Not sure.

But, folks from the area, would more than likely NOT go to Death Valley in the summer.

Which again, brings up the issue that these folks were new to Yosemite in the summer.
While that’s true, Death Valley is very popular with European tourists in summer. The heat is the big attraction. So, closing it down for heat reasons likely wouldn’t be sensible. And how are they supposed to police it? They need the road open, and it’s vast.

Like many here I’m thinking the heat played a role in the deaths of this family and dog. They probably didn’t all perish at the same time, but the more vulnerable were left helpless. Of course, I would like to see a map with the body locations of all marked.

On a side note – seeing dogs active in this type of heat makes my blood boil (no pun intended). Even working (athletic) dogs who are well-conditioned and handlers that know their resting and working vital signs would not (should not) work a dog for a long period of time in temps described here. If unavoidable there would be short spurts with extreme care taken of the dog.

It’s amazing to study the gps collar tracks of a dog that’s walking the same path as you. Some dogs might get close to double the miles you did. Especially any herding breed that forges ahead then comes back (figure 8) to check on their person before forging ahead again. These dogs have to be paced.

I’ve seen two dogs dead on a trail due to heat – owners shocked. One that was saved by fireman carrying the poor buddy to safely cool him off in a stream. It’s terrible. IMO
Make more posts about dogs! This one is really enlightening IMO.

Agree! I think this may indicate some early information from the toxicology reports. Perhaps they fear there is some rogue toxin on the trail due to nefarious activity in the area, such as moving heroin laced with fentanyl. What if the family happened to stumble on a section of trail where there was trace fentanyl, enough to kill them all?
Stumbling upon some illegal activity is actually a theory brought up early on by some people in the community. The area has been known for illegal growing and rivalry between growers. Not sure about fentanyl…

I agree. Going on a family day hike, with your cell phone, a mile from your home---maybe it didnt occur to them because they didn't think it was risky?
I'm wondering if, because they'd been living in the area for a year, they were overconfident about their degree of familiarity with the weather, and with area trails and conditions. But it seems to me, that moving from foggy SF to hot summers inland is a big adjustment, and takes longer than just the month or two after their move in summer 2020 to learn your tolerance level for heat. And he was from the UK, which generally doesn't have hot weather.

The temp recorded for mid-week before their hike was 105. It seems reckless to plan a hike when there are that kind of heat spikes happening, plus an "extreme heat" warning for the weekend by the weather service. It's baffling that they'd plan a strenuous hike and take their baby and dog along, unless they honestly thought they could handle it, as if it would be a piece of cake compared to their hikes in the Himalayas (where it was undoubtedly cooler, and they probably had Sherpas carrying food and water for their group). Since I first read about this story, I've been wondering "What were they thinking?!"

<modsnip>

It is dumbfounding to try to wrap my mind around why they would go out as a family in these conditions. I’m leaning towards the idea (mentioned previously) that they wanted to go down to the river and expected it to be swimmable or dip-able. That, and their relative newness to the area. I don’t think they were fitness freaks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stumbling upon some illegal activity is actually a theory brought up early on by some people in the community. The area has been known for illegal growing and rivalry between growers. Not sure about fentanyl…
As far as motive goes, <modsnip> it had been reported, that he'd bought a number of rental properties in the area after they moved to Mariposa. That would have been after Covid restrictions started, and later -- those rent protection requirements. If some of his renters weren't able to pay rent due to being laid off, he could have got in over his head with the mortgages. Pure speculation of course, but for those looking for a motive for murder/suicide, that could be one. But there's no way to know if he was having payment issues with the rentals or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think more and more people choose gluten-free, and many more choose sugar-free treats for babies. I have celiac so I guess I pay attention to these people (and welcome them with open arms, lol). If anything I would say Jonathan was the more gung-ho hiker, but maybe I’m just basing that on his activity level on AllTrails.

It is dumbfounding to try to wrap my mind around why they would go out as a family in these conditions. I’m leaning towards the idea (mentioned previously) that they wanted to go down to the river and expected it to be swimmable or dip-able. That, and their relative newness to the area. I don’t think they were fitness freaks.
The Forest Service had had warnings up about the river water for at least a month prior, though. If he were so active on AllTrails, he must have been aware of that...?

Like many here I’m thinking the heat played a role in the deaths of this family and dog. They probably didn’t all perish at the same time, but the more vulnerable were left helpless. Of course, I would like to see a map with the body locations of all marked.

On a side note – seeing dogs active in this type of heat makes my blood boil (no pun intended). Even working (athletic) dogs who are well-conditioned and handlers that know their resting and working vital signs would not (should not) work a dog for a long period of time in temps described here. If unavoidable there would be short spurts with extreme care taken of the dog.

It’s amazing to study the gps collar tracks of a dog that’s walking the same path as you. Some dogs might get close to double the miles you did. Especially any herding breed that forges ahead then comes back (figure 8) to check on their person before forging ahead again. These dogs have to be paced.

I’ve seen two dogs dead on a trail due to heat – owners shocked. One that was saved by fireman carrying the poor buddy to safely cool him off in a stream. It’s terrible. IMO
:(:(:(

I’ve said it on this thread before, but I have to be SUPER careful with my extremely athletic black lab. She overheats so quickly, it’s shocking.

I was talking about this case at length with my dad tonight, just for a fresh perspective... He was aware of this & the recent Joshua Tree case, & wondered aloud why the US didn’t close parks during the extreme heat, as we close some parks or part of parks here in Canada in extreme winter (I’m in western Canada; sometimes I just say I’m in the PNW because it’s simpler shorthand). He wondered if there’s some state/national legislation against closing parks, or if it would just be wildly unpopular etc. I don’t know! Has it happened before, in your experience—all national forests in a state closed? Do you think it’s related to this case? Or to the weather/seasonal fires more generally? Why wait so late in the season?

Edit to add: I know the notices say it’s strictly fire related. Has that occurred before? Is it a thing only in recent years? (My questions have to do with global warming, & how there’s some suggestion in recent articles that it is throwing off people’s ability to assess risk correctly. Which, indirectly, *may* have something to do with this case.)

Let me clarify a bit about the forests and closure orders. The TLDR is in bold below.

In general, in the USA, public land is kept accessible to the people as an important basic right and freedom. There are only a handful of closures that are common, and they are generally limited to specific areas and often apply only to vehicle access, for example when roads are soft and muddy and vehicles would cause damage. In that kind of a situation people would be allowed to be there on foot.

Or, when there is human activity that is dangerous to be around -- whether that is fire fighting or timber cutting, the specific area and the roads leading to it may be closed to anyone not involved in the activity. Again, limited to only the affected area.

I don't believe public land would close to keep people safe from normal risks of storms etc -- people are allowed to choose to be in risky situations -- but for something unknown such as this Sierra NF trail-specific or river-specific closure, it makes sense to close access until they know what's going on.

But the thing about the regionwide closure of all forests in the state -- I have been a NF employee or former employee for nearly 30 years now, almost all of it in California, and I have never heard of that extensive a closure before.

Here's the thing -- this closure is NOT about the normal risk of fire -- forests can and do ban smoking, campfires, woodcutting (chainsaws often throw sparks), etc every year during times of high risk but they don't ban people from simply BEING in the forests.

What's going on now is this: there are so many fires currently going across the west that if new fires were to start -- the USFS HAS NO MORE FIREFIGHTING PERSONNEL AVAILABLE TO SEND. It's not even mostly about money, it's about all trained fire folks already maxxed out.

Fires most often start from lightning but obviously that can't be stopped. They are trying to eliminate the risk of any human-caused fires because it's all they can do to reduce fire needs right now.

I will look for a link to share but until I find one this is MOO.

Edit: Link to the USFS letter addressing the closure: https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd949147.pdf

Last edited:
:(:(:(

I’ve said it on this thread before, but I have to be SUPER careful with my extremely athletic black lab. She overheats so quickly, it’s shocking.
Agree. I have a small pomeranian, she has a double coat and just a few minutes under a shade tree is all she can tolerate in 90 degree weather. Even a few minutes longer and she will get sick.

What's going on now is this: there are so many fires currently going across the west that if new fires were to start -- the USFS HAS NO MORE FIREFIGHTING PERSONNEL AVAILABLE TO SEND. It's not even mostly about money, it's about all trained fire folks already maxxed out.
Thank you for this excellent explanation. My uncle is retired USFS (still in excellent shape) and is currently on a fire in CA because everyone is needed. His son is on the Caldor Fire. Neither of them ever even went to California until the past couple of years because the state fire system, CalFire, handled the fires, but they are overwhelmed now.

The very conditions that likely led to this young couple’s demise are just devastating the West right now and none of us have seen anything like it before. Even the algal blooms are totally heat-related (low water/high temp). I can’t believe they’re closing the NFs! but here we are.

What I additionally wanted to mention is that important is not only how much water you take with you, but also, even more so, your hydration status at the beginning of the hike. Did you drink enough water the day before? Are you well hydrated? Did you drink alcohol the day before?
RSBM

Agree: also, if you are drinking lots, you need to keep eating salty snacks, or you can suffer severe cramps from electrolyte imbalance.

Thursday, Aug. 19: Autopsies are completed on the family and the dog. The autopsy findings state “pending toxicology” results.

I wonder why they’re holding back information?

Thursday, Aug. 19: Autopsies are completed on the family and the dog. The autopsy findings state “pending toxicology” results.

I wonder why they’re holding back information?

These things take time. Depending on what they're testing for, it could take, days, weeks and even months until results come back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kristens5487