CA - Jonathan Gerrish, Ellen Chung, daughter, 1 & dog, suspicious death hiking area, Aug 2021 #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
RSBM
Additionally puzzling is how no family members appeared to be worried about them when they were out of contact for almost 48 hours. If my family member was off grid unexpectedly for more than a few hours I would be in complete panic and search mode. The fact that no one in their family seemed concerned with them missing until 11pm Monday seems strange. This aspect hasn’t really been fleshed out by LE.

All family dynamics are different, and there are many circumstances that lead to family members not hearing from each other for days or weeks, especially when people move away and start their own families. Physical distance can play a part, too. For instance, the father’s family lives primarily in Europe. We cannot fault the family for not notifying law enforcement sooner, especially if periods of silence were normal. MOO.

RSBM
I find it hard to believe that anyone would jeopardize the health and safety of their infant for a pet. However if they were already overheated when the dog got sick I can see where illogical choices could be made.

While it is the logical option to abandon a pet in distress to ensure one’s own (or one’s child’s) safety, many people, myself included, view their pet as close to them as a child and would do whatever possible to save their pet, especially if still alive and suffering, even if it meant accepting more risk to their own well-being. Oski had been the wife’s pet for years; I think that she would have accepted that risk. MOO.

We are uncertain of the causes of death. We still haven’t gotten the results from the case,” said Leak Pen, assistant recreation officer at the Bass Lake Ranger District. So, as a precaution, let’s go ahead and close it [the trails] because we know there’s some form of hazard to the public.”

Pen said one water was tested back positive for toxic algae bloom. Others have turned up no toxic substances, and still other tests are outstanding.

“Because of the heat there’s a chance they may have drank the water or tried to treat the water but we don’t know.” Pen said. “It’s very mysterious and we’re just all waiting for the results.”
Feds close trails near mysterious Mariposa County family death for ‘unknown hazards’

We are uncertain of the causes of death. We still haven’t gotten the results from the case,” said Leak Pen, assistant recreation officer at the Bass Lake Ranger District. So, as a precaution, let’s go ahead and close it [the trails] because we know there’s some form of hazard to the public.”

Pen said one water was tested back positive for toxic algae bloom. Others have turned up no toxic substances, and still other tests are outstanding.

“Because of the heat there’s a chance they may have drank the water or tried to treat the water but we don’t know.” Pen said. “It’s very mysterious and we’re just all waiting for the results.”
Feds close trails near mysterious Mariposa County family death for ‘unknown hazards’

Fascinating. Thank you for sharing this.

Thanks for the post and link. To be clear, the one water test that came back positive for toxic algae bloom was based on a water sample taken from the Merced River, not from the water that the family was carrying.

I wonder if the computer analysis will reveal what app they used for weather forecasts, and what it reported. Possibly it didn't reflect how hot it would be on the trail.
According to one report, the trail is south-facing, and therefore gets more sun exposure than other areas. So parts of the trail hit between 103 and 109 that day. They had to trudge through that to get back to their car, and tragically, didn't make it. They really underestimated a number of things: the difficulty of the trail, the heat that day, plus the micro-climates on the trail.

Also, they probably didn't understand how their exertion uphill would heat up their bodies from within, in addition to the heat of the outside environment. Add to that, carrying a 1-year-old in a backpack, and having to tend to a dog on the uphill climb as well.

Hello everyone! This is my first post. First please allow me to say how impressed I am by the intelligent people here and thank you for allowing me to join.
They made a deadly mistake. We will never know what their rationale was.
I do believe as some others here do that the little dog was overcome first. I also think one or both tried to carry him to the car and was overcome with hyperthermia as well.
If they had stayed at the water and kept their core temperature down they may have made it. They could have waited until the sun and temp went down until they attempted to get to their vehicle. Maybe and what if and if only.
We will never know what state of mind they were in, nor why the decision to go on this dystopian trail with their baby and family pet.
It is disturbing to think of what they went through. What a hellish death, watching your baby and beloved family pet die, you being helpless to save them. It is truly nightmare inducing. Because she was found a bit ahead of the others, I believe she had to watch them all pass. I can't imagine.
I have nothing but pity for them all. That was such a horrific price to pay for misjudging a hiking trail.
MOO

Yes, it is possible and with what we have learned from their previous hikes they did not usually leash him. It is more probable to me that the dog suffered heat stroke first. They may have taken turns carrying him until they were overcome. Harrowing and heartbreaking, whatever way it happened. It is also disturbing to think of how alone they were out there in that hot, barren land.

On/off lurker for several WS case follows, so had to finally make an account to comment on this one, but felt I could shed some more light on this topic as an ER vet who has treated many cases of canine heatstroke, albeit some to no avail.
I work in the PNW, where summers are fairly mild but the recreation opportunities abound. We had an unprecedented heatwave at the beginning of June where temperatures reached the low 100s & the night time low was only ~80. We treated (& lost) so many patients to heatstroke in those few days, many from just attempting simple walks around their neighborhood. Most people were not used to the heat & as very few have central AC the overheating process they kicked into gear on their walks, had a hard time getting reversed once they got home.

Dogs don’t sweat, they can only release their heat through panting & evaporative (sweating) through their paw pads. This makes them much more susceptible to overheating than people as the temperature of the ground will directly impact their ability to cool (or will contribute to drive their temperature higher).

I have dogs Oski’s size & coat length, & even here in a more moderate climate, I am very careful about not taking them on exposed hikes with little shade if it gets above 80. In the summer I preferentially hike along or to water, pack water for them, & take plenty of shade breaks along the way. As others have said, in the type of heat they were attempting a venture in, you could not pack enough water to hike comfortably & safely for just a solitary person & dog… let alone 2 adults & an infant. The amount you’d need to pack & number of breaks you’d need to take in the beating sun would make it very unenjoyable.
I wouldn’t attempt a hike at all with a dog when it’s in the 90s unless it was less than a mile & fairly flat & shaded. MOO from seeing the worst of the worst.

On the note of Cyanobacteria/blue-green algae. Not all blue-green algae contains the harmful cyanobacteria & not all cyanobacteria contains the neurotoxin which contains the very fast death factor (VFDF). All of which, needs to be consumed to affect the individual, which is why you’ll find lots of case studies about dogs but few about people (they just can’t help themselves when they swim). They would not be affected by VFDF from contact, they would have had to take at least a good healthy swig of it.
The VFDF hits very rapidly with staggering, seizures, death. Usually within 45 min from ingestion. Most dogs that get this are DOA once they arrive. I have known 1 or 2 dogs that were able to get into a vet clinic very quickly between seizures & death & be induced into a medical coma on a ventilator for days & survive it. These are VERY rare cases (one belonged to a vet & so was intubated/bagged during transport off the trail, which made survival possible).
The harmful Cyanobacteria lacking VFDF (which I think is more common) usually takes several hours prior to onset of clinical signs & is usually more gastrointestinal in onset.

My last thought is that I don’t expect any of the autopsies/necropsy to be too conclusive. All 4 of those bodies sat out in sweltering heat for >48hrs, that will lead to a lot of confounding postmortem changes. Had they been taken off the trail the night they died, I think signs of heatstroke would likely be more readily apparent.

As others have theorized, I think this is a tragic case of overestimation of ability & lack of foresight regarding temperatures. I think it is highly likely the dog was the first to succumb & was likely carried, which lead to more exertion & stress in the people & then a domino effect with the heat & being on those exposed switchbacks. Very sad but hope it is a case that others can learn from when setting out for causal adventures with their pets & kids.

Thank you so much for sharing all this information - it's really insightful.

<modsnip - quoted post was removed >
There's a blog by a hiker who did the SL trail with a friend a few summers ago. She said, her friend brought her dog, then became concerned that they didn't bring enough water for the dog. A group of Boy Scouts passed them heading back to the trailhead, having already completed their hike in the morning. The two women were only just setting out. This gave them pause, too. Eventually, the friend pushed to quit the hike; the day was heating up, the trail was steep on the way down, so it didn't bode well for the return climb upward, and she was afraid they'd run out of water. The blogger was reluctant to quit, because she'd never quit a hike before. It was a matter of pride to her. But she listened to reason, and agreed to turn back.

Those ladies were smart. Being able to admit they'd misgauged the situation, rather than mushing on due to a sense of pride in meeting challenges, or overconfidence, or whatever, saved their lives.

Here's that blog, if anyone's interested.
First Time for Everything

Last edited by a moderator:
On/off lurker for several WS case follows, so had to finally make an account to comment on this one, but felt I could shed some more light on this topic as an ER vet who has treated many cases of canine heatstroke, albeit some to no avail.
I work in the PNW, where summers are fairly mild but the recreation opportunities abound. We had an unprecedented heatwave at the beginning of June where temperatures reached the low 100s & the night time low was only ~80. We treated (& lost) so many patients to heatstroke in those few days, many from just attempting simple walks around their neighborhood. Most people were not used to the heat & as very few have central AC the overheating process they kicked into gear on their walks, had a hard time getting reversed once they got home.

Dogs don’t sweat, they can only release their heat through panting & evaporative (sweating) through their paw pads. This makes them much more susceptible to overheating than people as the temperature of the ground will directly impact their ability to cool (or will contribute to drive their temperature higher).

I have dogs Oski’s size & coat length, & even here in a more moderate climate, I am very careful about not taking them on exposed hikes with little shade if it gets above 80. In the summer I preferentially hike along or to water, pack water for them, & take plenty of shade breaks along the way. As others have said, in the type of heat they were attempting a venture in, you could not pack enough water to hike comfortably & safely for just a solitary person & dog… let alone 2 adults & an infant. The amount you’d need to pack & number of breaks you’d need to take in the beating sun would make it very unenjoyable.
I wouldn’t attempt a hike at all with a dog when it’s in the 90s unless it was less than a mile & fairly flat & shaded. MOO from seeing the worst of the worst.

On the note of Cyanobacteria/blue-green algae. Not all blue-green algae contains the harmful cyanobacteria & not all cyanobacteria contains the neurotoxin which contains the very fast death factor (VFDF). All of which, needs to be consumed to affect the individual, which is why you’ll find lots of case studies about dogs but few about people (they just can’t help themselves when they swim). They would not be affected by VFDF from contact, they would have had to take at least a good healthy swig of it.
The VFDF hits very rapidly with staggering, seizures, death. Usually within 45 min from ingestion. Most dogs that get this are DOA once they arrive. I have known 1 or 2 dogs that were able to get into a vet clinic very quickly between seizures & death & be induced into a medical coma on a ventilator for days & survive it. These are VERY rare cases (one belonged to a vet & so was intubated/bagged during transport off the trail, which made survival possible).
The harmful Cyanobacteria lacking VFDF (which I think is more common) usually takes several hours prior to onset of clinical signs & is usually more gastrointestinal in onset.

My last thought is that I don’t expect any of the autopsies/necropsy to be too conclusive. All 4 of those bodies sat out in sweltering heat for >48hrs, that will lead to a lot of confounding postmortem changes. Had they been taken off the trail the night they died, I think signs of heatstroke would likely be more readily apparent.

As others have theorized, I think this is a tragic case of overestimation of ability & lack of foresight regarding temperatures. I think it is highly likely the dog was the first to succumb & was likely carried, which lead to more exertion & stress in the people & then a domino effect with the heat & being on those exposed switchbacks. Very sad but hope it is a case that others can learn from when setting out for causal adventures with their pets & kids.

This is all good information. Thank you for sharing it. Do you think there is any chance a dog of that size/type wouldn't have problems in that heat and length of hike? In other words, it sounds like there's basically no chance for that dog to be fine at that temp and mileage. Is that correct?

According to one report, the trail is south-facing, and therefore gets more sun exposure than other areas. So parts of the trail hit between 103 and 109 that day.
The 103 to 109 degree temperatures were not measured directly on the trail. The hourly reported temperatures are from the El Portal (EPW) weather station, which is at an elevation of 2,073 feet on the Merced River. It's about 2 miles away (by the crow's flight) from where the family was hiking. It may have been slightly hotter or slightly cooler on the trail. Either way, it was very hot.

As at least one other poster has pointed out, the family's home (which is not far from the trailhead) appears to be at about a 3,500 feet elevation -- where it would be noticeably cooler. When the family left their home around 7:30 on Sunday morning, the temperature was probably in the low 70s with low humidity.

Thank you for posting this, it was interesting and very telling, imo.
Most of us will never understand why they chose to take their baby and dog on this dangerous trail. I just can't imagine either one of them did any real research on the weather or the trail.
Which is baffling considering they live a mere mile or two away.

I probably said this in thread #1 (what year is it again?) but I can vouch for the first year as a new parent being a very difficult (yet blissful) time. I had my first baby six months before them. I think impaired judgment from sleep deprivation is not that far-fetched. On top of that, the frustrations and monotony of life during covid. Yes, they had a nanny, but I wonder if they were just itching to get out, and given that Jonathan could only go on Sat/Sun, and presumably her too with school, they just went for it, and thought they were being cautious enough by leaving at 8. Maybe they didn’t even make it all the way down the steep trail before turning around.

I guess what troubles me is that as a new parent, there’s heightened anxiety about the baby that in most cases is just natural and normal (of course sometimes, as it was for me for awhile, the anxiety can be debilitating). What were the circumstances that weekend and morning that quelled their anxiety for the baby, the dog, themselves? Was one of them more game for the hike than the other? Is it possible they wanted to go Saturday but delayed for some reason (weather?), making them even more stubborn about going on Sunday?

There's a blog by a hiker who did the SL trail with a friend a few summers ago. She said, her friend brought her dog, then became concerned that they didn't bring enough water for the dog. A group of Boy Scouts passed them heading back to the trailhead, having already completed their hike in the morning. The two women were only just setting out. This gave them pause, too. Eventually, the friend pushed to quit the hike; the day was heating up, the trail was steep on the way down, so it didn't bode well for the return climb upward, and she was afraid they'd run out of water. The blogger was reluctant to quit, because she'd never quit a hike before. It was a matter of pride to her. But she listened to reason, and agreed to turn back.
No doubt sufficient water supply is critical, but having enough water will not insure prevention of heat stroke, especially if it's very hot with no provision for shade on a steep slope. It takes time to absorb the water and once the core body temperature exceeds a threshold, the body itself must be cooled down quickly and simply drinking water won't accomplish this. MOO

<modsnip - quoted post was removed >
IMO only, being an experienced hiker means different things to different people. Family & friends often times are not good judges of this when they speak to it.

Example, IIRC, there was a missing hiker in NY several years ago. He didn’t show for a meet up as scheduled with friends off trail. His mom kept saying he’s experienced, he knows what he’s doing. This poor guy was hiking in jeans and cotton clothing, ran out of water & food, the dry warm weather turned wet and cold, had no proper shelter and so on. He was recovered. His end would have been horrible. I suspect he might have heard helicopters overhead but because of his state could not move from his location.

You can be experienced but not prepared or prepared but not experienced. They don’t always go hand in hand. Then sometimes you’re both and S happens to the best of them.

Based on what I’ve read so far, I would not venture onto a trail with this family if they were in charge of the planning & maintenance of the hike.

This case is tragic, especially because it appears they loved to adventure together as a family. IMO

Last edited by a moderator:
I probably said this in thread #1 (what year is it again?) but I can vouch for the first year as a new parent being a very difficult (yet blissful) time. I had my first baby six months before them. I think impaired judgment from sleep deprivation is not that far-fetched. On top of that, the frustrations and monotony of life during covid. Yes, they had a nanny, but I wonder if they were just itching to get out, and given that Jonathan could only go on Sat/Sun, and presumably her too with school, they just went for it, and thought they were being cautious enough by leaving at 8. Maybe they didn’t even make it all the way down the steep trail before turning around.

I guess what troubles me is that as a new parent, there’s heightened anxiety about the baby that in most cases is just natural and normal (of course sometimes, as it was for me for awhile, the anxiety can be debilitating). What were the circumstances that weekend and morning that quelled their anxiety for the baby, the dog, themselves? Was one of them more game for the hike than the other? Is it possible they wanted to go Saturday but delayed for some reason (weather?), making them even more stubborn about going on Sunday?
They'd taken the baby on hikes before, including one in the Himalayas. It was part of their plan for raising their child--to introduce her to nature and hiking from the start. According to early reports, they'd told friends they moved from SF to the Yosemite area in order to raise their child in nature, away from the bustle of urban areas. So it was second-nature to them to take her along. Their starry-eyed dream for their child apparently overrode that heightened anxiety you speak of.

Now that you put it that way, though, I'm scratching my head. I'm starting to wonder if all this hiking was initially his idea, since he could afford to take the family on world-travel hiking trips. Maybe he talked his wife into the fact that the baby would be safe, because they had a fair amount of hiking experience, and she (the baby) did fine in the Himalayas. Maybe she was enamored of him in part because of his dreams and his ability to make them happen.

More speculation, but what are we to make of the situation? You raise a good point. Most parents treat an infant like a delicate creature, as well they should. Anything can happen to an infant, usually unexpectedly: Sudden Infant Death Syndrome in the crib, to name just one completely unpredictable risk.

Familiarity? Youth? It is only recently that I have come to realize some of the potentially fatal situations I have put myself in. It is true that the younger we are the more likely we are to dismiss potentially dangerous situations, by that I mean how quickly something like a day hike can turn deadly and become fatal.
It is human nature, we all make mistakes. If we are lucky they do not cost us our life.
The husband was 45? I would have thought he would be more cautious being the older parent. I am not judging him at all and mean no disrespect. I just find this all very baffling and am curious about their relationship dynamic. Who was the decision maker. I suppose we will never know. I am also curious about why they were not reported missing Monday morning.

They'd taken the baby on hikes before, including one in the Himalayas. It was part of their plan for raising their child--to introduce her to nature and hiking from the start. According to early reports, they'd told friends they moved from SF to the Yosemite area in order to raise their child in nature, away from the bustle of urban areas. So it was second-nature to them to take her along. Their starry-eyed dream for their child apparently overrode that heightened anxiety you speak of.

Now that you put it that way, though, I'm scratching my head. I'm starting to wonder if all this hiking was initially his idea, since he could afford to take the family on world-travel hiking trips. Maybe he talked his wife into the fact that the baby would be safe, because they had a fair amount of hiking experience, and she (the baby) did fine in the Himalayas. Maybe she was enamored of him in part because of his dreams and his ability to make them happen.

More speculation, but what are we to make of the situation? You raise a good point. Most parents treat an infant like a delicate creature, as well they should. Anything can happen to an infant, usually unexpectedly: Sudden Infant Death Syndrome in the crib, to name just one completely unpredictable risk.
They went backpacking in the Himalayas in 2018; the baby was born in 2020, so she was not on that hike. What evidence is there that they took her on hikes? She had just turned 1 years old, and Ellen didn’t post any hiking pictures with the baby (or even without - her posting slowed way down) after she was born.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shachio8485