CA - Jonathan Gerrish, Ellen Chung, daughter, 1 & dog, suspicious death remote hiking area, Aug 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just came across this tragic story, which doesn't look to have come across Websleuths while an active search. (Please delete if I've overlooked an existing thread!)

This family of three, along with their dog, were found deceased in a remote part of the Sierra National Forest. They were reported missing Monday evening. Cause of death is undetermined, but the area has been closed off in case of carbon monoxide or another toxin that may be in the area.

Absolutely heartbreaking for their loved ones. I hope there isn't danger to others in the area. Looking forward to more information.

Family of three and their dog found dead in remote Northern California hiking area

Slightly more info here: https://www.fresnobee.com/news/local/article253560324.html
upload_2021-8-18_13-31-43.png

How sad AND strange!

I haven't mapped it and I'm not familiar with the area... anyone know the distance between location of the bodies and their vehicle?

https://www.modbee.com/news/california/article253560324.html

The bodies of the family — identified as John Gerrish, Ellen Chung, 1-year-old daughter Muji and the family dog — was found near the Devil’s Gulch area in the South Fork of the Merced River drainage. The isolated location is about 15 southwest of the El Portal entrance to Yosemite National Park on Highway 140.

The Mariposa County Sheriff’s Office search-and-rescue operation had located the family’s vehicle near the Sierra National Forest gate leading to Hite Cove in the Jerseydale area.

Mitchell said the area where the bodies were found is so remote, sheriff units have to hike out to establish satellite phone connection.

“We’re processing the scene right now. There’s no clear indication of cause of death,” Mitchell said. Authorities are still working to recover the bodies.

"Mitchell said that due to mines in the area and because there is no clear indication of the cause of death, the scene is being treated as a hazmat scene for the safety of everyone responding.

“Coming across a scene where everyone involved, including the family dog that is deceased, that is not a typical thing that we have seen or other agencies have seen,” Mitchell said. “That is why we’re treating it as a hazmat situation. We just don’t know.”

The California Department of Justice is assisting the Mariposa County Sheriff’s Office with the investigation."

Where is it reported that the father was from the UK? I've seen them referred to only as "a Mariposa family". I'm certainly not taking this one source as gospel- we know how easy it can be for news outlets to get details wrong. Just curious where you saw that.

https://www.fresnobee.com/news/local/article253560324.html

ETA answered my own question. The Daily Mail states that Gerrish was born in the UK. I guess as a British news outlet, I can understand why they'd state this. It doesn't seem relevant to the circumstances surrounding their deaths or current lifestyles though, imo.

Also there are many pictures of this beautiful and photogenic family in that article.

Last edited:
Just seen this awful story, the whole family found deceased on a trail with no injuries.

Speculation in the article that it could be carbon monoxide or toxic algae exposure. So sad whatever the case.

Missing couple, their baby and dog are found dead in remote California hiking area | Daily Mail Online
Thanks for starting this thread, @dalsglen !
A puzzler for sure.

Rest in peace to this beautiful little family and I hope their grieving loved ones find out the truth, whatever that may be. :(
I find it hard to believe it was C02 poisoning, outdoors ?
But maybe ?

Thanks for starting this thread, @dalsglen !
A puzzler for sure.

Rest in peace to this beautiful little family and I hope their grieving loved ones find out the truth, whatever that may be. :(
I find it hard to believe it was C02 poisoning, outdoors ?
But maybe ?
It sounds like experts agree that carbon monoxide poisoning is unlikely:
"Dr Mike Nelson, professor of mining engineering at University of Utah, cast doubt on the theory that carbon monoxide emissions from an old gold mine were possibly to blame for the deaths.

During a phone interview with the DailyMail.com on Wednesday, Dr Nelson explained that gold mines are not known to produce carbon monoxide, and even if the gas were present, it would have gone up into the air. He also noted that the family were found outdoors and not in an enclosed space where exposure to carbon monoxide could be lethal."
From the DM article posted above.

Last edited:
It sounds like experts agree that carbon monoxide poisoning is unlikely:
"Dr Mike Nelson, professor of mining engineering at University of Utah, cast doubt on the theory that carbon monoxide emissions from an old gold mine were possibly to blame for the deaths.

During a phone interview with the DailyMail.com on Wednesday, Dr Nelson explained that gold mines are not known to produce carbon monoxide, and even if the gas were present, it would have gone up into the air. He also noted that the family were found outdoors and not in an enclosed space where exposure to carbon monoxide could be lethal."
From the DM article posted above.
Very strange circumstances. Is the DOJ involved because it's on fed land?

Autopsies will be performed tomorrow. Tox screens would be six weeks out. We'll likely be waiting awhile for answers, unless they find something at the camp site.

The real mystery is the dog being found dead too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Houndgirl2003