CA - Jonathan Gerrish, Ellen Chung, daughter, 1 & dog, suspicious death remote hiking area, Aug 2021

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Very strange circumstances. Is the DOJ involved because it's on fed land?

Autopsies will be performed tomorrow. Tox screens would be six weeks out. We'll likely be waiting awhile for answers, unless they find something at the camp site.

The real mystery is the dog being found dead too.

This article states that the CA DOJ is assisting in the investigation.
https://www.fresnobee.com/news/local/article253560324.html

Very strange circumstances. Is the DOJ involved because it's on fed land?

Autopsies will be performed tomorrow. Tox screens would be six weeks out. We'll likely be waiting awhile for answers, unless they find something at the camp site.

The real mystery is the dog being found dead too.
Very weird. Bad water?

Just came across this tragic story, which doesn't look to have come across Websleuths while an active search. (Please delete if I've overlooked an existing thread!)

This family of three, along with their dog, were found deceased in a remote part of the Sierra National Forest. They were reported missing Monday evening. Cause of death is undetermined, but the area has been closed off in case of carbon monoxide or another toxin that may be in the area.

Absolutely heartbreaking for their loved ones. I hope there isn't danger to others in the area. Looking forward to more information.

Family of three and their dog found dead in remote Northern California hiking area

Slightly more info here: https://www.fresnobee.com/news/local/article253560324.html
View attachment 309391

No cellphone service -- oh, my -- so they had no way of asking for help or rescue if they knew they were in some kind of distress from sickness or dizziness, etc., if that's what the problem was. How horribly sad and scary for them. If that was the case, I guess no one could see them or hear them call for help, if they were able to do it.
Hoping that the authorities will find the cause and "fix it" if that's possible. Just awful. The four of them were breathing the same air and possibly sharing the same food, too. Were they drinking naturally occurring water from the area, too? Three people and a dog. So very sad and scary.

No cellphone service -- oh, my -- so they had no way of asking for help or rescue if they knew they were in some kind of sickness, dizziness, etc., if that's what the problem was. How horribly said and scary for them. If that was the case, I guess no one could see them or hear them call for help, if they were able to do it.
Hoping that the authorities will find the cause and "fix it" if that's possible. Just awful. The four of them were breathing the same air and possibly sharing the same food, too. Were they drinking naturally occuring water from the area, too? Three people and a dog. So very sad and scary.
Would they drink local water ? I find that hard to believe since they were hiking there ?
JMO

This is so sad. :(

I wonder about their positions when found…

Were they all together or scattered several feet apart along the trail?

Did it seem that they were all affected at once or at slightly different times? Did it look like one was trying to help the other?

Did they look like they suddenly fell down or were they already lying down when they succumbed?

Was there any sign of physical distress, contorting?

In other words, was the scene chaotic or peaceful? Hoping for the latter.

I don’t know that specific area but I used to live in CA and hike all over the Sierras, including Sierra National Forest. Nobody with any sense about them would drink water without using a serious filter. Giardia is quite common in the Sierras. Anybody (with any sense) who moved to the area to be closer to the outdoors would bring their own water or at least an adequate filter. I would bet they ate something but why did the dog die? I’m thinking the worst, I’m afraid. Outgas from mines makes little sense and the Lake Nyos theory is unlikely around that area. If it were Mammoth, it’d make some sense, but the western side of the Sierras are much less geologically active.

I did remember seeing a documentary a few years back, how something similar happened in Africa....toxic gas bubbled up from a lake and killed thousands of people and livestock.

Apparently, there are quite a few lakes where this could potentially happen again, and not just in Cameroon either.

Lake Nyos disaster - Wikipedia
My first thoughts, like many others here, I assume, would be noxious gas from old wells or mining areas -- if either existed in the area; berries, fruits, or vegetation that resembled something they had eaten before; or water. All four of them could have breathed, eaten, or drank whatever.
Wondering how long it will take for an investigation like this...

Certainly seems like a possibility. Quote:" The Sierra National Forest would like to inform visitors who like to recreate in those waters to not swim, wade, or allow their pets in that part of the river. This is due to the danger the Toxic Algal mats present that have formed. Algae or cyanobacteria that grow in the water get attached to the bottom of water bodies and can form algal mats. Some species can produce toxins, and if exposed, can pose a risk to humans and their pets."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FindIreneFlemingWAState