CA - Jonathan Gerrish, Ellen Chung, daughter, 1 & dog, suspicious death remote hiking area, Aug 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
yes, that is similar to what Knox posted above. I suspect they all cooled off and waded in the water, rather than drank it deliberately. Maybe they missed the sign. Horrible!
Yes, that’s what I think too. Even if the adults drank the water I couldn’t see them giving it to the baby, but they could have let her splash in the water along with the dog.

I just hope that the baby wasn’t left to suffer alone.

While I agree that a noxious gas eruption would be very unusual, I could see a potential situation where either the baby or dog was affected more quickly, causing the whole party to stop and try to administer care to that member of the family. Smaller humans’ and animals’ systems are more easily overwhelmed, and if, for example, the baby suddenly showed signs of sickness or becoming floppy, the responsible thing to do would be to stop and try to rouse them.

If a gas was odourless or not of obvious concern, then you might not think to leave an area until it was too late, perhaps.

I don’t know the area well, but I understand there are parts of forest in that state where trees have died from the CO seeping up from below the ground.
Additionally, had there been any old refuse used as landfill at some time in historic decades in the area, this can catch alight as part of the composting process, especially in hot weather, which causes underground fires and small plumes of very toxic smoke.

Every scenario seems unlikely, doesn't it. I wonder about their water bottles - did they have enough water (assuming yes) and was something very toxic ingested?

I know this sounds ridiculous but posting it anyway - Remember when there were reports of people suddenly passing away at resorts, and some people speculated the drinking glasses had been contaminated with toxic insecticides sprayed in the rooms?
Just a thought. I assume toxic substance is more likely than a rare phenomenon.

From the link^^^:

"The CHP helicopter hovering over the area lowered something into this location around 1:15 p.m. Wednesday, then flew away.

Briese said one rescuer was treated for a health issue related to the heat but was OK. Briese said around 3:15 p.m. Wednesday that he expected the family’s bodies to be extracted from Devil’s Gulch within that hour, then flown to the coroner’s office."

Could they have had heat stroke?

<modsnip>

Was everything OK at home?

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a strange one.

Since they were experienced hikers, I can't imagine them eating or drinking anything along the trail. That would be super risky, especially with a baby in tow. (And if it was poison from something they ate (or intentional), wouldn't there have been obvious signs of that by the positioning of their extremities? Dying by poisoning is supposed to be very painful and agonizing).

Could the dog have jumped into or drank the water with algal bloom, and gotten them all wet or licked them afterwards? (Would that have been enough to kill them all?!) Was the dog on a leash?

I surely hope they all died at or around the same time, and peacefully. This story is so tragic. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Temperature on the date of their hike was 102F. Past Weather in South Fork Devils Gulch, California, USA — Yesterday or Further Back

Why would two apparently rational adults who were somewhat experienced hikers, even consider taking a 1-year old infant and dog on what is reportedly a fairly challenging (steep) hike through largely inhospitable terrain in such conditions?!?
The baby was in a backpack. IMO (in my friend group) it's quite common for parents to take their babies on hikes. Easier before they're wanting to walk on their own! And I don't gather that this was a challenging hike. From what I've read it was a common wild flower viewing area. ETA: I haven't seen it reported what time they were actually hiking. They were reported missing Monday night and were hiking, I believe, on Sunday. Don't know what time though.

Last edited:
Could they have had heat stroke?
RSBM

I think 102 degrees could be experienced as much hotter in an exposed rocky place. It sounds like they descended to the river, then had to climb up back to their car. Carrying the baby uphill, after already hiking strenuously, and into increasing heat, not bringing enough water (because it's also heavy). Then perhaps drinking river water in spite of warnings... and the adults not wanting to split up and leave the baby...that's what I envisage. The dog not willing or able to leave.

I recall the case of a French couple who died on a short hike in the west. These are trails that people hike March-May, not in August.

French couple who died in desert gave son extra water, sheriff said | CNN

The baby was in a backpack. IMO (in my friend group) it's quite common for parents to take their babies on hikes. Easier before they're wanting to walk on their own! And I don't gather that this was a challenging hike. From what I've read it was a common wild flower viewing area. ETA: I haven't seen it reported what time they were actually hiking. They were reported missing Monday night and were hiking, I believe, on Sunday. Don't know what time though.

It did say in one of the articles posted that it was a remote area and it did look that way to me on a map. Also, I think that is very hot temp. at 100 degrees or so to take a baby on a hike, I wouldn't in such an isolated area where there was no cell service. IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CP95