CA - Jonathan Gerrish, Ellen Chung, daughter, 1 & dog, suspicious death remote hiking area, Aug 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The lack of an obvious cause makes me think it was not CO poisoning (combined with how unlikely that is outside in an open space, and how unlikely it would be that all 4 fatalities occurred close in time, since dogs are far more sensitive to CO poisoning and would’ve displayed nausea/vomiting). CO poisoning doesn’t kill you immediately; if it hits you when you’re awake you will notice confusion, drowsiness, nausea, and weakness - people who succumb to it are often already asleep.

Bodies are bright red after CO poisoning - granted, I don’t know how long that lasts, but they were found fairly quickly, and that would be an “obvious sign.”

There would also be readily discernible signs on autopsy (sorry, might be paywalled: “Acute carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning has a number of characteristics at autopsy. A high concentration of carboxyhemoglobin (CO-Hb) is detected in the blood. ... Bilateral globus pallidus lesions and cerebral white matter lesions are the most typical findings of acute CO poisoning in the brain.” An Autopsy Case of Acute Carbon Monoxide Poisoning After a... : The American Journal of Forensic Medicine and Pathology
Thank you for the information. In the later stories, the Sheriff said he doesn't think CMP is related but they are searching the area to rule it out (undisclosed mine location).

What do you think about algae bloom? Are there any pathology reports on that type of death in a human?

Can't stop thinking about this case. My mind keeps going to murder/suicide, but how?
Every scenario does seem unlikely, it's baffling!

I just don't see this as a possibility, but if so, poison is about all I can suggest -- did either of the adults have access to or knowledge of hard-to-trace poisons or "natural" poisons? Pharmacy, nursing, labs, chemistry, other types of health-care backgrounds? Library? Online? If this was the plan, it would have to be quickly done on a day-trip. Again, I don't think this is what happened. SMH.

Last edited:
We've had some algae bloom issues in my area (last year when it was very dry). I don't remember any people coming to harm, but a couple of dogs died, and Mr. Carbuff and I were pretty paranoid about taking our canoe out for a while.

It did say in one of the articles posted that it was a remote area and it did look that way to me on a map. Also, I think that is very hot temp. at 100 degrees or so to take a baby on a hike, I wouldn't in such an isolated area where there was no cell service. IMO.
bbm
Hmmm, hadn't thought of that -- maybe they hadn't hiked this area before & didn't know about the cell phone problem. Oh, that makes it even sadder, doesn't it?

I just don't see this as a possibility, but if so, poison is about all I can suggest -- did either of the adults have access to or knowledge of hard-to-trace poisons or "natural" poisons? Pharmacy, nursing, labs, chemistry, other types of health-care backgrounds? Library? Online? If this was the plan, it would have to be quickly done on a day-trip. Again, I don't think this is what happened. SMH.
It wouldn’t necessarily need to be hard to trace. There really are too many unknowns to speculate at this point though. IMO

Oh my goodness, this is a weird one. I have no idea what to think. My mind immediately went to dark places, but I just don’t think a murder suicide would leave no clues to how they died, right? So unlikely. Even poisons seem to have some external signs a lot of the time. And the dog and baby dying too is so confusing. I’m only guessing this has to be some kind of freak, uncommon thing like the mine gasses or algae or something, but I just don’t know. Waiting for autopsy results….

Do we know if they were outside or were they found in a vehicle?
They were found outside and I believe I read it was several miles from the car, and in such a remote area that investigators had to hike out in order to get satellite service. I read that the family were avid hikers, but hiking that far into such a remote area with a 1 year old baby just seems strange to me.

Oh my goodness, this is a weird one. I have no idea what to think. My mind immediately went to dark places, but I just don’t think a murder suicide would leave no clues to how they died, right? So unlikely. Even poisons seem to have some external signs a lot of the time. And the dog and baby dying too is so confusing. I’m only guessing this has to be some kind of freak, uncommon thing like the mine gasses or algae or something, but I just don’t know. Waiting for autopsy results….
Yeah, my mind is going to dark and speculative places as well. If it was poison, that should at least show up on autopsy unless they used potassium, which is easy, fatal, and hard to detect because bodies are naturally hyperkalemic post-mortem. I don’t have a strong theory as to what happened, I just hope we get answers soon and *especially* if it was a natural phenomenon that other hikers need to be warned about (or if people should be excluded from the area altogether).

Very strange circumstances. Is the DOJ involved because it's on fed land?

Autopsies will be performed tomorrow. Tox screens would be six weeks out. We'll likely be waiting awhile for answers, unless they find something at the camp site.

The real mystery is the dog being found dead too.
Carbon monoxide poisoning frequently causes the skin to turn a cherry red. First responders can often identify this characteristic, however, depending on how long they were dead it might not have been visible. I'm still wondering about some other type of poisoning. Also, have they said whether the bodies were found next to each other? If so, it would seem to indicate they all died almost instantly.

Thanks for starting this thread, @dalsglen !
A puzzler for sure.

Rest in peace to this beautiful little family and I hope their grieving loved ones find out the truth, whatever that may be. :(
I find it hard to believe it was C02 poisoning, outdoors ?
But maybe ?
The idea of CO2 poisoning outdoors seems unlikely to me too.

Merced River drainage basin

They were found in Devil's Gulch, in the South Fork, of the Merced River Basin in Mariposa Co.

Their car was parked at the trail head to the Hite Cove hiking trail.
Parking: Along highway 140 across the road from the trailhead.

Hite Cove Trail

Family Dies Mysteriously on Hike in Remote Mariposa County
Search-and-rescue personnel first identified the family vehicle, a Ford truck, on Tuesday near a gate leading to the Hites Cove trail.
Shortly thereafter, the searchers found John Gerrish, Ellen Chung, 1-year-old daughter Muji, and the family dog deceased near Devil’s Gulch in the Southfork of the Merced River drainage, Briese said.

Last edited:

They were found in Devil's Gulch, in the South Fork, of the Merced River Basin in Mariposa Co.

Hite Cove Trail

Family Dies Mysteriously on Hike in Remote Mariposa County
Search-and-rescue personnel first identified the family vehicle, a Ford truck, on Tuesday near a gate leading to the Hites Cove trail.
Shortly thereafter, the searchers found John Gerrish, Ellen Chung, 1-year-old daughter Muji, and the family dog deceased near Devil’s Gulch in the Southfork of the Merced River drainage, Briese said.
Thanks for the info - does anyone know where the closest egress was to where they were found? I.e., if they were in trouble, was their truck the closest refuge or were there other, closer ways to reach civilization/get assistance?

Toxic algae doesn't cause people or animals to just drop dead, there is a period of diarrhea, vomiting and many other symptoms, that I imagine would seriously motivate parents to get to the car and help, IMO.
I agree. The University in our area has a lake that seasonally has a toxic algae bloom. They put up signs and public notices about it and warn people not to swim in the lake or allow pets to swim. They note that the algae can cause illness and skin irritation, but to my knowledge no one has ever dropped dead or become seriously ill due to it.

Hite Cove Trail

This site has a little more detail about the trail.
Yosemite Hikes: Hite Cove

The writer has a quirky sense of humor…

Hazards:
The first mile and a half (2.4 km) of the trail winds along the hillside about a hundred feet above the river. For the most part, slipping off the trail would lead to some memorable and instructive bruises, but nothing worse. There are spots, however, where the dropoff is sheer enough that a fall could kill you. Be careful when stepping aside to let other hikers pass (it's a single-track trail) and save the wine until after the hike.

You'll find lots of poison oak here, a few mosquitoes, and the occasional tick. Later in the year (when you shouldn't be here anyway, due to fire danger) you may encounter rattlesnakes.
BBM

A reviewer said it’s too hot to hike in the summer, so I wonder why they chose to hike now instead of waiting for autumn.

Thanks for the info - does anyone know where the closest egress was to where they were found? I.e., if they were in trouble, was their truck the closest refuge or were there other, closer ways to reach civilization/get assistance?

Parking is along the highway, so their truck would be closest. See trailhead street view link below.

Driving Directions: The Hite Cove trailhead is on highway 140, 8.5 miles (13.5 km) west of Yosemite's El Portal border (10.5 miles west of the ticket gate, which is a couple miles inside the park) and 21 miles (33 km) east of Mariposa. It's at the site of the historic Savage's Trading Post (trailhead street view here).

This site has a little more detail about the trail.

The writer has a quirky sense of humor…

Hazards:
The first mile and a half (2.4 km) of the trail winds along the hillside about a hundred feet above the river. For the most part, slipping off the trail would lead to some memorable and instructive bruises, but nothing worse. There are spots, however, where the dropoff is sheer enough that a fall could kill you. Be careful when stepping aside to let other hikers pass (it's a single-track trail) and save the wine until after the hike.

You'll find lots of poison oak here, a few mosquitoes, and the occasional tick. Later in the year (when you shouldn't be here anyway, due to fire danger) you may encounter rattlesnakes.
BBM

A reviewer said it’s too hot to hike in the summer, so I wonder why they chose to hike now instead of waiting for autumn.
It’s so odd to me that they took the baby (and the dog) on a potentially dangerous trail in heat. That adds to my speculation that it could have been a murder-suicide, because I don’t understand why they would take that risk when there are cooler days and easier trails that take less time and have greater cell phone coverage and proximity to assistance.

It’s so odd to me that they took the baby (and the dog) on a potentially dangerous trail in heat. That adds to my speculation that it could have been a murder-suicide, because I don’t understand why they would take that risk when there are cooler days and easier trails that take less time and have greater cell phone coverage and proximity to assistance.
And the beauty of that hiking trail is during the spring when thousands of wild poppies cover the hillsides. But in August, it is hot and rather bleak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CP95