CA - Jonathan Gerrish, Ellen Chung, daughter, 1 & dog, suspicious death remote hiking area, Aug 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s so odd to me that they took the baby (and the dog) on a potentially dangerous trail in heat. That adds to my speculation that it could have been a murder-suicide, because I don’t understand why they would take that risk when there are cooler days and easier trails that take less time and have greater cell phone coverage and proximity to assistance.
I don't believe the trail they were on was the same trail as the one with all the wildflowers. It was a more remote and isolated trail. See my Fresno Bee citation ^^^.

This site has a little more detail about the trail.
Yosemite Hikes: Hite Cove

The writer has a quirky sense of humor…

Hazards:
The first mile and a half (2.4 km) of the trail winds along the hillside about a hundred feet above the river. For the most part, slipping off the trail would lead to some memorable and instructive bruises, but nothing worse. There are spots, however, where the dropoff is sheer enough that a fall could kill you. Be careful when stepping aside to let other hikers pass (it's a single-track trail) and save the wine until after the hike.

You'll find lots of poison oak here, a few mosquitoes, and the occasional tick. Later in the year (when you shouldn't be here anyway, due to fire danger) you may encounter rattlesnakes.
BBM

A reviewer said it’s too hot to hike in the summer, so I wonder why they chose to hike now instead of waiting for autumn.
From what I can tell, this is not the trail they were on. https://www.fresnobee.com/news/local/article253577919.html

As for the baby, I would not recommend carrying one in a backsack on a 100 degrees F hike (would feel even more hot 'wrapped' in the baby knapsack)...
Respectfully snipped by me.
I strongly agree! My kids traveled many, many miles on my back during hikes. Even in 70-75 degree F weather, they would sometimes get prickly heat rash in their little neck folds. 100 is miserable for us adults and we can air out and move around, unlike a poor baby strapped down in a pack.

The bodies of the family — identified as John Gerrish, Ellen Chung, 1-year-old daughter Miju and the family dog — was found near the Devil’s Gulch area in the South Fork of the Merced River drainage. The isolated location is about 15 southwest of the El Portal entrance to Yosemite National Park on Highway 140.

The Mariposa County Sheriff’s Office search-and-rescue operation had located the family’s vehicle near the Sierra National Forest gate leading to Hite Cove in the Jerseydale area.
https://www.fresnobee.com/news/local/article253560324.html

Is there more than one way to access the trail where they were found other than the link @Lilibet provided (off Hwy 140)? Google Maps

Yes, I believe they approached it south from hwy 49, then took a turnoff north towards Jerseydale, parked and walked from there. I studied the map last night, and there are several turnoffs.

Are the police/media dropping the ball here? Is there a map showing their truck, the trail, and where they were found? There should be.

Yes, it would be helpful! However...
I tried to pinpoint where they were found using the following info from the fresnobee article posted earlier:" The family was found dead Tuesday on the Savage-Lundy Trail in Devil’s Gulch near Hites Cove, a popular hiking destination. Briese said the family was located a couple miles from the south fork of the Merced River and about 1.5 miles from their vehicle, a gray truck, parked at a trailhead down Hites Cove Road past the Jerseydale Sierra National Forest station and community of Mariposa Pines."

Also: That remote trailhead down a dirt road is accessed from the side closest to Highway 49. It’s different from another popular trailhead to the Hites Cove area along Highway 140 in the river canyon closer to Yosemite.

Yes, I believe they approached it south from hwy 49, then took a turnoff north towards Jerseydale, parked and walked from there. I studied the map last night, and there are several turnoffs.
Thanks, that's what I thought too. They weren't that far from their vehicle. I hadn't looked at a map until tonight.

Yes, it would be helpful! However...
I tried to pinpoint where they were found using the following info from the fresnobee article posted earlier:" The family was found dead Tuesday on the Savage-Lundy Trail in Devil’s Gulch near Hites Cove, a popular hiking destination. Briese said the family was located a couple miles from the south fork of the Merced River and about 1.5 miles from their vehicle, a gray truck, parked at a trailhead down Hites Cove Road past the Jerseydale Sierra National Forest station and community of Mariposa Pines."

Also: That remote trailhead down a dirt road is accessed from the side closest to Highway 49. It’s different from another popular trailhead to the Hites Cove area along Highway 140 in the river canyon closer to Yosemite.
In this area maybe, past the helipad site. Hites Cove Road terminates at the start of the Savage-Lundy Trail, Devil Gulch is to the right. Google Maps

Last edited:
My sister, her ex and their dogs used to hike this area and specifically this trail often in the spring and fall. One time my brother in law took the dog in the middle of the hot summer up there for a hike while my sister was at work. He called her mid afternoon while driving back. She says he could barely get out a word. He and the dog barely made it back to the car due to heat exhaustion. It took both of them a few days to recover. This is a guy who builds tennis courts and other sports courts for a living. He is used to being outside in the heat. My sister doesn’t believe it is gases or algae bloom.

Prior to this family hiking that portion of the trail - did anyone else hike it within the last 48 hours?

If so, who would know?

That might provide a clue if their deaths was from toxic algae bloom or CO.

We've had some algae bloom issues in my area (last year when it was very dry). I don't remember any people coming to harm, but a couple of dogs died, and Mr. Carbuff and I were pretty paranoid about taking our canoe out for a while.

Toxic algae is an issue in my state of Florida and Red Tide can cause respiratory issues (I live 3 miles inland from the SW FL Gulf coast and can smell it) but I cannot recall in recent memory if anyone ever died from it. Usually warnings are put out, ie, not swimming in the ocean.

HABs: Harmful Algae Blooms

Edited to add the following: This may be helpful:

A dog named Bella died after being exposed to toxic water on the C-51 in West Palm Beach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CP95