CA - Jonathan Gerrish, Ellen Chung, daughter, 1 & dog, suspicious death remote hiking area, Aug 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't help wonder how long they'd been out hiking that day. Perhaps, they got lost at some point in their hike and ran out of water so drank from the river out of necessity/desperation...?
It doesn’t look like the kind of trail where you’d get lost, though. Perhaps the dog ran off?

My sister, her ex and their dogs used to hike this area and specifically this trail often in the spring and fall. One time my brother in law took the dog in the middle of the hot summer up there for a hike while my sister was at work. He called her mid afternoon while driving back. She says he could barely get out a word. He and the dog barely made it back to the car due to heat exhaustion. It took both of them a few days to recover. This is a guy who builds tennis courts and other sports courts for a living. He is used to being outside in the heat. My sister doesn’t believe it is gases or algae bloom.

Hmmm... well, maybe I should reconsider heat exhaustion. But, would it affect all of them at about the same time? Does body weight figure-in as to how fast this can occur... would baby be affected first?

But with heat exhaustion, would they all have collapsed with it at exactly the same time? They were all found together on the trail, not one of them had tried to find tree cover or shelter from the heat, or tried to make it back to the car?

I find it difficult to believe man, woman, dog and baby all died at the exactly the same time from heat exhaustion right where they were.

You think if that even happened the bodies would be more scattered, as in the case of the Death Valley Germans.

But with heat exhaustion, would they all have collapsed with it at exactly the same time? They were all found together on the trail, not one of them had tried to find tree cover or shelter from the heat, or tried to make it back to the car?

I find it difficult to believe man, woman, dog and baby all died at the exactly the same time from heat exhaustion right where they were.

You think if that even happened the bodies would be more scattered....
That’s what makes this so strange. What does kill a man, a woman, a baby and a dog at the same time right where they were? It like they were struck down right where they were standing with no sign of trauma? So weird. I would think someone would have separated to try to go get help or the dog would have wandered off or something. So it makes me think it was sudden? It just makes no sense.

I wonder if they had any water left in their water bottles when they were found? Do we know that?

From what I've read about the effects of algae blooms on humans, skin contact with contaminated water wouldn't have caused severe problems, especially so quickly.

This reminds me of Lake Nyos in Africa in the 1980s, when a big bubble of CO2 rose from the bottom of the lake bed and killed all people and animals within 15 miles. But if something similar had happened, there would have been dead animals around.

Hmmm... well, maybe I should reconsider heat exhaustion. But, would it affect all of them at about the same time? Does body weight figure-in as to how fast this can occur... would baby be affected first?
Heat exhaustion is best tolerated by people with low body fat who are lanky and thus able to dissipate heat faster. The baby was apparently in a backpack, so sadly I don’t she think would’ve had a chance once the adults started feeling the effects, if that’s what happened. But - how could it be heat exhaustion? Their truck was 2 miles away. Not a block, but not exactly a marathon - once they realized the dog and baby were in trouble, someone should have turned back.

From the link, the description of the "fairly easy" trail: "DEVIL GULCH Road (3S02) to the South Fork of the Merced
River. This section of the trail is 2.5 miles long and
fairly easy to hike. Dispersed campsites are at Devil
Gulch, the river and Devil Gulch Creek both need to
be forded in order to continue on the trail."

(BBM)

If this is a trail they hiked on this trip, and if they chose to ford the river and creek, I'm looking at toxic environmental conditions in the water. JMO.
Here's a woman who describes her hike to Devils Gulch, she didn't finish it.

First Time for Everything

It seems like a very difficult two miles downhill to the Devils Gulch with rocky terrain, felled trees and steep drops.

If they crossed the river and then took a break, maybe the dog showed some symptoms of algae poisoning. They can become ill within 15 minutes: vomiting, diarrhea and seizures. (Two dogs died in a lake in my province this year, and an adult with them was treated in hospital and survived.)

I can imagine that the dog may have been ill first, and the husband may picked the dog up and carried him back towards the truck knowing he’d die if he didn’t. It’s two miles up hill. That may have been the beginning of a domino of issues.

*All speculation

Last edited:
Did algae bloom kill family hiking in Mariposa County? Authorities checking all possibilities in mysterious deaths

New article with more information and pictures. They had just purchased a new home near the trailhead they hiked that day.

Interesting to note from the article.

On Thursday, a sign appeared to be newly installed at the start of the trail used by the family warned: “Harmful algae may be present in this water.” It alerts hikers to not drink the water or eat shellfish, and to keep children and pets out of the water. Residents in the area said the sign was only recently posted after the family was found dead.

This reminds me of Lake Nyos in Africa in the 1980s, when a big bubble of CO2 rose from the bottom of the lake bed and killed all people and animals within 15 miles. But if something similar had happened, there would have been dead animals around.

Yes, and surely some bodily evidence too....red skin, vomit, signs of distress? Not to mention it would have to be a bloody big cloud of gas to kill them all instantly, out in the open air.

I would like LE to reveal a few more details in how their bodies were positioned and exactly how close were they to each other. Any clothing removed?

Also, did the ground around them show any form of prior distress? Handprints in the dust? Body prints from rolling around? Marks that weren't consistent with just footprints and walking?

Police are still waiting on the results of post-mortem examinations. Further toxicology reports could take up to six weeks.

California State Water Resources Control Board and Mariposa County are now re-testing the river water for cyanobacterial toxins, which can form in algal blooms.

On July 13, Sierra National Forest officials posted a warning about 'high concentrations' of algae which can produce 'extremely dangerous toxins that can sicken or kill people and animals' in the water in the Merced River at Hites Cove.

A listing on the water board's online map of harmful algal blooms warned: 'Water Boards recommends a CAUTION due to illness report. Sample results are pending.'

The California Department of Public Health said it did not know of any human deaths from 'recreational or drinking water exposure to cyanobacterial toxin' although some animals have been killed by algae.

State waterboard spokesman Blair Robertson said officials hoped to have the results of the water tests by the weekend.

He added: 'Our staff is conducting testing of the waterways near where the bodies were located and will make the lab results available to the public as soon as we get them.

Did toxic algae bloom kill British software developer, his wife and one-year-old toddler? | Daily Mail Online

Look for Merced County
My Water Quality: California Harmful Algal Blooms (HABs)

That’s what makes this so strange. What does kill a man, a woman, a baby and a dog at the same time right where they were? It like they were struck down right where they were standing with no sign of trauma? So weird. I would think someone would have separated to try to go get help or the dog would have wandered off or something. So it makes me think it was sudden? It just makes no sense.

I wonder if they had any water left in their water bottles when they were found? Do we know that?
The bodies have been recovered and are being autopsied, but Mitchell said they will likely have to wait for toxicology results — which could take weeks — to determine the cause of death.

"This is just a tragic, frustrating case for us," said Mitchell. "It will probably be a long, tedious investigation."

The family's bodies were found on the Savage-Lundy Trail, which is popular in the spring because of its colorful wildflower blooms. Mitchell said it is very hot at this time of year and there is little shade.

She said the family was well prepared for a day hike.
Couple and their 1-year-old mysteriously found dead on remote hiking trail near Yosemite

I can imagine that the dog may have been ill first, and the husband may picked the dog up and carried him back towards the truck knowing he’d die if he didn’t. It’s two miles up hill. That may have been the beginning of a domino of issues.
I was thinking of this same scenario—that the dog was being carried.

We have had toxic algae blooms in water around here in South Texas, and I know some dogs have died. But I haven’t heard of any people being affected.

Heat exhaustion is best tolerated by people with low body fat who are lanky and thus able to dissipate heat faster. The baby was apparently in a backpack, so sadly I don’t she think would’ve had a chance once the adults started feeling the effects, if that’s what happened. But - how could it be heat exhaustion? Their truck was 2 miles away. Not a block, but not exactly a marathon - once they realized the dog and baby were in trouble, someone should have turned back.
They may have faced issues at the point where they needed to turn back.
It looks like a very challenging 2 miles, imo. Factor in the heat and maybe an unknown issue and it may have been impossible. If the hike took longer than expected, the water they estimated they’d need for the hike may have turned out to be too little.

The one factor that we know to definitely be true is that it was very hot and there is little shade. We don’t know yet if there were any gasses or if they came into contact with toxic algae or that there were any serious relationship or financial problems.

I am leaning toward the heat being the fatal factor here. It’s still weird, but I’ve learned that heat can be sneaky and take people quickly. I know some people here followed Philip Kreycik’s thread, and it was surprising that such an experienced runner could succumb to the heat on a shortish, casual run in an area close to neighborhoods. But it seems that’s exactly what happened. It’s been unusually hot in CA lately.

The bodies have been recovered and are being autopsied, but Mitchell said they will likely have to wait for toxicology results — which could take weeks — to determine the cause of death.

"This is just a tragic, frustrating case for us," said Mitchell. "It will probably be a long, tedious investigation."

The family's bodies were found on the Savage-Lundy Trail, which is popular in the spring because of its colorful wildflower blooms. Mitchell said it is very hot at this time of year and there is little shade.

She said the family was well prepared for a day hike.
Couple and their 1-year-old mysteriously found dead on remote hiking trail near Yosemite
The comment that they were "well prepared for a day hike" implies to me they had sufficient supplies with them (water, food, etc.), proper clothing, etc. They were described as experienced hikers, so it seems unlikely they would have embarked on this hike without sufficient water, especially since they had a baby with them. Quite puzzling. Hopefully anything left in their water bottles, snacks, etc. will have been tested for poison or other contaminants.

I was thinking of this same scenario—that the dog was being carried.

We have had toxic algae blooms in water around here in South Texas, and I know some dogs have died. But I haven’t heard of any people being affected.
I wish we could know if they were all found together, or spread out, as though one of them had tried to make it back to the car.

The comment that they were "well prepared for a day hike" implies to me they had sufficient supplies with them (water, food, etc.), proper clothing, etc. They were described as experienced hikers, so it seems unlikely they would have embarked on this hike without sufficient water, especially since they had a baby with them. Quite puzzling. Hopefully anything left in their water bottles, snacks, etc. will have been tested for poison or other contaminants.
The testing of their supplies will be critical in ruling out a non-environmental related COD. I wonder if the autopsy of the dog would produce quicker answers? I think they said something about UC Davis for that. I sent a chicken in for a necropsy a few years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
safetycircle