CA - Jonathan Gerrish, Ellen Chung, daughter, 1 & dog, suspicious death remote hiking area, Aug 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
No matter what, 109 degrees is HOT. I live in South Texas and I’m known to run when it’s way too hot and we hike in the heat sometimes. My daughter just got back from hiking in Yosemite, and she could not believe people were complaining about how hot it was—she thought it was super pleasant! But 109 degrees, no matter how you cut it, is way way way too hot to be safely hiking.

I think they set out early and did not intend to be out in that heat all day with their baby. Something happened—got lost probably—and they all succumbed to heat stroke. 109! It’s so sad if this is the case because they were on the right track back and could have made it in maybe 30 minutes or so. :(

If it’s heatstroke, there should be hints of that on autopsy: “Conclusion: Typical autopsy findings following classical heat stroke in children include diffuse petechiae and hemorrhages and lung involvement. These findings are similar to those reported in adults that had died following exertional heat stroke—a very different mechanism of heat accumulation.”
That is odd because I didn't think the ME found evidence of heat stroke in Patrick the joggers recent death---yet they have concluded it was just that.

Good thought, also nothing has been mentioned about cell phones, were they found with them on the trail? Had they taken pictures on the hike, tried to call out, send a text message? That might sound strange, but if one of them was in distress and the others started failing I could see trying to leave a clue even though there was no signal. But if overtaken quickly, I guess there would be no time or clarity of thinking.
The father had a cell phone in his pocket but there was no service there.

Good thought, also nothing has been mentioned about cell phones, were they found with them on the trail? Had they taken pictures on the hike, tried to call out, send a text message? That might sound strange, but if one of them was in distress and the others started failing I could see trying to leave a clue even though there was no signal. But if overtaken quickly, I guess there would be no time or clarity of thinking.
Actually, I did mention that a cell phone was found in his pocket. They were at a part of the trail where there is virtually no cellular service, and satellite phones had to be used. They (Sheriff's office) advised that they would be searching phones to ascertain of any texts had been attempted, or pictures taken, etc. It appeared that there was no indication that there had been, however.

I would guess it would be something odorless/tasteless in the water source they brought as the preliminary autopsy looked for puncture marks (needle) and certainly stomach contents would include pills casings?
Capsules can be opened and the contents mixed in with food or dissolved in water. I have had to do that for my dog who would not swallow a capsule even if it was wrapped in cheese. She would lick all the cheese off and spit the capsule out. So I slipped the capsule open, sprinkled the contents on her favorite food, and mission accomplished!

I see zero evidence for that. They had a beautiful new baby, beautiful new home, lots of money in the bank, happy marriage, fulfilling career for him....lots of friends and family, both healthy....

I'd say heat stroke is way more plausible. JMO
Thank you for saying this. It bothers me when speculation quickly turns dark with no basis.

No matter what, 109 degrees is HOT. I live in South Texas and I’m known to run when it’s way too hot and we hike in the heat sometimes. My daughter just got back from hiking in Yosemite, and she could not believe people were complaining about how hot it was—she thought it was super pleasant! But 109 degrees, no matter how you cut it, is way way way too hot to be safely hiking.

I think they set out early and did not intend to be out in that heat all day with their baby. Something happened—got lost probably—and they all succumbed to heat stroke. 109! It’s so sad if this is the case because they were on the right track back and could have made it in maybe 30 minutes or so. :(

Maybe they were just planning to do Hite Cove, and then discovered the Savage trail made a loop. I know I'm a sucker for a loop, but I wouldn't even be hiking in 90 degree weather.

Your daughter probably enjoyed the heat without humidity at Yosemite.

I question the assumption that TWO adults of differing sex and weights --- who are extremely experienced travelers and hikers in seemingly excellent physical condition, would both succumb at nearly the same time and place with water still available. And, even if we were to believe that -- that even their dog would expire, too -- at the same time and place?!

Mind you, they have pictures of their adventures all over the Gobi Desert, India, backpacking in the Himalayas, Indonesia, Pandor Island, South America -- never mind hiking all over the southwest, Red Rock Canyon, the Pacific Northwest and attending Burning Man. These are NOT novices who get lost on a state park trail next to their house.
Source:
Login • Instagram

She is from Southern CA and they have lived in this area for over a year, hiking every weekend. They literally have a home near the parking gate for this trailhead! It's not as though they are unfamiliar with the area, hiking, the heat, or desert climates -- or more important THIS particular micro-climate.
Source:
Did algae bloom kill family hiking in Mariposa County? Authorities checking all possibilities in mysterious deaths

LE is now saying they consider this homicide until proven otherwise. Clearly, murder/suicide can't be ruled out. It is not uncommon for people to take pets with them. A woman in NYC recently jumped to her death with her beloved dog. Someone might see it as an act of love to insure their pet doesn't suffer alone. I did not know Ellen worked in pharmaceutical settings. Interesting indeed. Post-partum depression and/or psychosis could be a factor. Time will tell.

MOO.

I know it's unpopular to think that this could be a "murder suicide" or "suicide" <modsnip> No matter how it happened it is extremely sad. By all appearances everything looked perfect for the family, but you just never know. Not ruling out a business partner or an outside person being involved either who may have been with them. I'm just not buying lighting, algae, or gas. Toxicology will tell.

Last edited by a moderator:
I question the assumption that TWO adults of differing sex and weights --- who are extremely experienced travelers and hikers in seemingly excellent physical condition, would both succumb at nearly the same time and place with water still available. And, even if we were to believe that -- that even their dog would expire, too -- at the same time and place?!

Mind you, they have pictures of their adventures all over the Gobi Desert, India, backpacking in the Himalayas, Indonesia, Pandor Island, South America -- never mind hiking all over the southwest, Red Rock Canyon, the Pacific Northwest and attending Burning Man. These are NOT novices who get lost on a state park trail next to their house.
Source:
Login • Instagram

She is from Southern CA and they have lived in this area for over a year, hiking every weekend. They literally have a home near the parking gate for this trailhead! It's not as though they are unfamiliar with the area, hiking, the heat, or desert climates -- or more important THIS particular micro-climate.
Source:
Did algae bloom kill family hiking in Mariposa County? Authorities checking all possibilities in mysterious deaths
But we don't know that they died 'at the same time' and there was a just small amount of water left. And just water itself does not save someone from Heat Stroke.

I think it is quite possible that the little baby went into distress first, and that sent the parents into panic mode, trying to hurry back in the extreme heat. They would have used most of their water trying to help the baby in my opinion.

So when they began feeling the symptoms of heat exhaustion themselves, there was little left to be done to help them recover. Iff their precious little girl had died there, they may have been inconsolable and distressed and eventually succumbed to heat stroke. JMO

Maybe their baby died, they stopped in the shade and tried to figure out what to do next, but their symptoms turned into full Heat stroke. Dad may have died next, sitting under the tree. Mom would have been beside herself with grief from both deaths---but she eventually tried to continue on to the car for help, but it was too late?

Or maybe Dad stayed behind with the baby while Mom went for help but they both succumbed to the stroke?

The poor doggie probably held on for the entire 2 days but eventually succumbed to the elements as well. JMO

Last edited:
The autopsy hasn’t shown anything. There are plenty of signs of heat stroke, cerebral oedema, rhabdomyolysis etc. They state it’s shown nothing. No carbon monoxide
Nada.
As a Brit the one thing that creams at me is no Lancashire man would go out hiking on a hot day. And no caring parents would take there baby willingly
Somethings fishy

Years ago I was at Mammoth going up a trail when there was a large group of people coming down in a rush. It was a Sunday and they had spent the weekend camping around one of the mountain lakes (not the Mammoth Lakes.) One of the women was carrying a limp baby girl about a year old, mother said that she was suffering from heat exhaustion (and probably altitude sickness). Father carried the two backpacks. It was 89 but because of the altitude one is closer to the sun so it feels even hotter.

I realize altitude was not a problem here.

The town of Mariposa shows 99 degrees for that day and the nearby community of Jerseydale shows 97. I wonder if the 107-109 is the "feels like" temperature. It might explain why they didn't realize it would be as hot as it was, but 97 is plenty hot for a baby, and most adults.
The heat radiates back from trails like the one they were on, though. And there was no (or very little) cover. The effect could be much hotter. And the dustiness of that kind of trail would make it even worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Houndgirl2003