Found Deceased CA - Juan Carlos "Cookie" Hernandez, 21, Los Angeles, 22 Sept 2020 *arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Could it have something to do with the job he had? MOO
Since weed is legal there, its pretty much like working at a liquor store. so id say no, unless he met them there or one of them had been employed there, I don't think it had anything to do with his job.

you can only buy a certain amount per day, and they probably have a system to tabulate how much the workers take home with them, alleviating any worry that the workers are pushing out of state. and usually weed sold legally is way cheaper than in places where its illegal, so I cannot picture a scenario where this is about transactions with weed since everything seems to have taken place in the state.

moo

I keep Cookie's mom in my thoughts right now. Her pain is palpable. And there is absolutely nothing anyone can do or say to take away the pain in her heart... can't even imagine...

LE say they knew he was dead early on in their investigation but could not release that information so as not to compromise their work. The takeaway is that this can and does happen. I learn so much from each case - it helps so much to understand other cases. And LE did their job here - so good that they made arrests quickly. Cookie mattered. May justice come soon and may his family recall a lot of good times with him.

I’m not tech savvy, and all I know is that Venmo is a kind of mobile payment app.

What does it imply if they are “friends” on the app? That they are actual friends? Or just that they have had some kind of monetary transaction before?

Is there a link for this, @trailblazr80 ?
You have to have an account to search for members, but being on the friends list would likely mean they had some sort of transaction and may know each other in real life. The only thing I have are screenshots.

I’m not tech savvy, and all I know is that Venmo is a kind of mobile payment app.

What does it imply if they are “friends” on the app? That they are actual friends? Or just that they have had some kind of monetary transaction before?

Is there a link for this, @trailblazr80 ?
Venmo gives you the option of making your phone contacts "friends" when you join the app. So they could have been phone contacts or had transactions--though if you do a transaction with someone, you still have to request them as a friend, it's not automatic.

Mass held in light of student's death - El Camino College The Union

As has been the case, El Camino College’s paper, The Union, penned a comprehensive article with heart.

Yajaira arranged a beautiful outdoor Mass for Juan that included offering participants ornaments with the word “Hope” on them and ending on a sweet note by asking the crowd to sing Happy Birthday to a young cousin of Juan’s whose birthday it happened to be that day.

From what we’ve learned of Yajaira in the short time we’ve gotten to know her, she’s always thinking of others, so the funeral Mass for Juan definitely showed her touch in the proceedings.

The article also talked about and showed a tattoo Yajaira got after Juan disappeared but before she learned he was deceased. It says: “I will carry you with me til I see you again” and shows a dandelion blowing away and turning into a flock of birds. Beautiful sentiment.

Just realizing the suspects had a court date Dec 1 and I hadn't seen any new info since then.

I checked the LASD inmate info and see that EA has a $10MIL bail amount and a upcoming court date on 01/14/2021.

SH also has a $10MIL bail amount and a court date on 01/05/2021 AND 01/14/2021.

Curious as to what/why the two separate charges are for SH. The public LASD inmate records search doesn't say what charges they are being held on, although we know what crime warrants the $10mil bail.

I hope these trials bring his loved ones a step closer to justice and closure. RIP Cookie. May we never stop until justice had been served.

On Dec 6 at Olvera Street, a historic site in the Los Angeles, Yajaira held a community vigil for Juan.

Speakers all seemed to echo similar stories of Juan’s positive spirit, and how he encouraged others. What a beautiful soul he was! So much like Yajaira, it would appear.

One quote raised a possibility in my mind for what could have happened to him (but, then again, we know his intent was to be coming home soon, according to the text he sent his mom):
he remembered “Cookie” as a carefree spirit who could go with the flow. Whenever the 26-year-old got the impulse to go somewhere, he could count on Juan Hernandez to respond approvingly with, “I’m down.” His propensity for socializing would also lead them both to “party with random people.”
(bolded by me)
“Justice for Juan Hernandez”: Mexican-American mother honors son by giving back to community

Last edited:

Thank you for this!
Wow, there’s another named person involved in the murder:

Case Number:
LACBA491591-03
Defendant Name: PENG, WEIJIA

And, am I reading it right, that Sonita Heng has plead guilty? ( I don’t know how to do a screenshot, but here’s a copy-paste of parts of it:
Defendant Name: HENG, SONITA
02 32 Penal Code PLead Guilty Guilty/Convicted 01/13/2021

Thank you for this!
Wow, there’s another named person involved in the murder:

Case Number:
LACBA491591-03
Defendant Name: PENG, WEIJIA

And, am I reading it right, that Sonita Heng has plead guilty? ( I don’t know how to do a screenshot, but here’s a copy-paste of parts of it:
Defendant Name: HENG, SONITA
02 32 Penal Code PLead Guilty Guilty/Convicted 01/13/2021

Thats right. February 16th is listed as sentencing hearing.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FindIreneFlemingWAState
Back