CA CA - Karlie Lain Gusé, 16, Mono County, 13 Oct 2018 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, so on second thought, KG could have unbuckled, stood up, reached over and jerked the wheel... she wouldn’t have had a clear line of sight of the road from the back seat to begin with.. but, OK. Still possible.
I roll my eyes each time I see that she left a “party.” She got picked up at 9pm? What time did she call? 8:30? Wouldn’t call that a party... but
I’m imagining that instead of going home after school, she told SM she was going to a football game later in the evening so she’d miss the bus and get a ride home with a friend or call for a ride later.
This gives Karlie from whatever time she left school until pick up to... intoxicate.
We’ve talked a lot about weed + lsd/acid /meth/heroine... but IMO, this could be alcohol and marijuana. Alcohol is incredibly easy to get for a 16 year old and she obviously wouldn’t be used to the affects of mixing alcohol with marijuana. She may have been blacked out and completely out of character... jerked the wheel, called Melissa “mom” (per Melissa statement on Dr Phil episode), joked about “devils lettuce.” Frightened by her friends and family, etc. KG might have been blacked out drunk and high and thrown up and suffocated.
I can’t imagine that she would have taken off on her own volition without her car, money, or cell phone. It would have been a horrible coincidence that a stranger would have stopped and she would have trusted them enough to get in their car, etc.

After all this time, MG and ZG are STILL annoyed that Karlie lied about the football game? That’s the least of your problems.
She made it home that night... by 9pm. Get real.
Where are you getting that she wouldn't have a clear line of sight from the back seat? It's not an SUV. Forget your eye-rolling party. So it was a small group of kids at her boyfriend's house, that's not how it was portrayed at first.
While I agree with your assertion that it's odd for a teen to leave without her cell phone, there are conflicting accounts of where her cellphone was found. Maybe she didn't have access to it. She might've felt the need to get out of there. That's if she was ever there that night and if she did, indeed, leave on her own volition.
Asphyxiation is a viable theory, as are others.

We can speculate all day on what she was actually on. <modsnipped>If we take LE’s word that they checked out the witnesses and are credible, then she left on foot in the early morning hours. Most likely she got farther than anyone expected and they were looking too close to home. I would like to map out the direction she was headed with a brisk speed and see how far she could have gotten.

Also something that always stood out to me was the witness that saw her behind the barbed wire fence. How can that be? I’d like to check out that area as well.
I don't think I'd ever take LE's word for anything and I have many LE relations. Don't forget that one of the witnesses, the one down the block, is a retired LAPD officer as is the sheriff.

Last edited by a moderator:
We can speculate all day on what she was actually on. <modsnipped> If we take LE’s word that they checked out the witnesses and are credible, then she left on foot in the early morning hours. Most likely she got farther than anyone expected and they were looking too close to home. I would like to map out the direction she was headed with a brisk speed and see how far she could have gotten.

Also something that always stood out to me was the witness that saw her behind the barbed wire fence. How can that be? I’d like to check out that area as well.

I wonder too if she walked way further than people think. There was that 5 year old boy that ran away from his dad at a park here in Ohio and he was found miles from where he ran away from. No one imagined he could go that far. So I can only imagine how far an impaired teen could go. Dehydration in the desert is a huge concern.

Last edited by a moderator:
Where are you getting that she wouldn't have a clear line of sight from the back seat? It's not an SUV. Forget your eye-rolling party. So it was a small group of kids at her boyfriend's house, that's not how it was portrayed at first.
While I agree with your assertion that it's odd for a teen to leave without her cell phone, there are conflicting accounts of where her cellphone was found. Maybe she didn't have access to it. She might've felt the need to get out of there. That's if she was ever there that night and if she did, indeed, leave on her own volition.
Asphyxiation is a viable theory, as are others.

I agree. Even in my small SUV it would be very easy to hang over the seat and reach the steering wheel.

I said before way back on thread one; teens are very savy about phones. They know they can be tracked through their phone. So IMO its not that surprising that a teen running away would leave her phone. Also have to keep in mind she wasn't in her normal frame of mind

I wonder too if she walked way further than people think. There was that 5 year old boy that ran away from his dad at a park here in Ohio and he was found miles from where he ran away from. No one imagined he could go that far. So I can only imagine how far an impaired teen could go. Dehydration in the desert is a huge concern.

I was just looking at the map. If she left around 6:00 am and the parents didn't get out on the road until 8:00, in two hours she could be 4 miles away. If the parents went the wrong direction went they set out on there search ( or she was walking across the desert) she could be 6-7 miles away before the police got involved.

After watching some of SM's videos where she kept changing what exactly went on that night, like where she was all night - in bed with Karlie or in her own room, what time she fell asleep, what time she got up, and on and on, there's really no way to know the truth.

And while I agree that Karlie could have run much farther than anyone thinks it's odd to me that it would happen nearly 12 hours after ingesting whatever it was she smoke or swallowed. I don't know anything about meth other than what I've read here and in other cases so if it was involved I don't know how long she would have been manic and hallucinating - maybe it lasts a long time.

Most drugs typically wear off by then and it seems more likely that she would have been exhausted and sleeping the effects off. And I could be wrong. But it still begs the question of why Karlie chose to run at that particular time. Why not when she was at the height of paranoia and afraid that her parents would harm her or when she thought she was eating the devil's lettuce?

Sadly I don't know those answers. All I know is that something's off and while I'm not convinced stepmom and/or dad did anything criminal I strongly suspect there's a big piece of the puzzle missing. If it was to CYA themselves even that makes no sense - if your kid is hallucinating and not able to sleep, afraid for no reason then what could be so damning to prevent a trip to the ER? Calling the family doctor? Calling Poson Control? Anything?

I guess I'm just afraid the timeline is way off and that's why Karlie wasn't spotted.

Oh, and something else that I've been wondering about regarding one of the witnesses. The retired LE man seems to be most credible so I do believe he saw someone. But what I wonder is how clear of a view he had.

He was in an enclosed room in a Jacuzzi which faces the street. Would the windows be foggy from the humidity? If so then was it Karlie for sure? It probably was but I do wonder.

Also, did LE ever take blood samples from Karlie's boyfriend or others at the party who smoked the same stuff? Wouldn't toxicology reveal any added drugs? I know LE interviewed everyone but I can't find anything ablut analyzing the marijuana or taking blood.

Sigh and all MOO.

Search continues for California teen Karlie Gusé

After watching some of SM's videos where she kept changing what exactly went on that night, like where she was all night - in bed with Karlie or in her own room, what time she fell asleep, what time she got up, and on and on, there's really no way to know the truth.

And while I agree that Karlie could have run much farther than anyone thinks it's odd to me that it would happen nearly 12 hours after ingesting whatever it was she smoke or swallowed. I don't know anything about meth other than what I've read here and in other cases so if it was involved I don't know how long she would have been manic and hallucinating - maybe it lasts a long time.

Most drugs typically wear off by then and it seems more likely that she would have been exhausted and sleeping the effects off. And I could be wrong. But it still begs the question of why Karlie chose to run at that particular time. Why not when she was at the height of paranoia and afraid that her parents would harm her or when she thought she was eating the devil's lettuce?

Sadly I don't know those answers. All I know is that something's off and while I'm not convinced stepmom and/or dad did anything criminal I strongly suspect there's a big piece of the puzzle missing. If it was to CYA themselves even that makes no sense - if your kid is hallucinating and not able to sleep, afraid for no reason then what could be so damning to prevent a trip to the ER? Calling the family doctor? Calling Poson Control? Anything?

I guess I'm just afraid the timeline is way off and that's why Karlie wasn't spotted.

Oh, and something else that I've been wondering about regarding one of the witnesses. The retired LE man seems to be most credible so I do believe he saw someone. But what I wonder is how clear of a view he had.

He was in an enclosed room in a Jacuzzi which faces the street. Would the windows be foggy from the humidity? If so then was it Karlie for sure? It probably was but I do wonder.

Also, did LE ever take blood samples from Karlie's boyfriend or others at the party who smoked the same stuff? Wouldn't toxicology reveal any added drugs? I know LE interviewed everyone but I can't find anything ablut analyzing the marijuana or taking blood.

Sigh and all MOO.

You brought up very good points. From sm accounts, Karlie's boyfriend is devastated, and very much cooperating since the beginning but I don't believe these minors were ever or could be tested.

When Karlie disappeared without her phone, I also thought Karlie could have left the house earlier than reported -- most likely at the height of her paranoia, and what we have are parents that regret not acting on her distress. Dad was reportedly intoxicated when Karlie and his wife got home, and I think they all went to sleep, and believed Karlie would do the same.

I believe the witnesses are credible people-- but that doesn't mean that they saw Karlie in the early morning hours. Not one of the witnesses knew her, and I don't believe any have come forward stating they are absolutely certain it was KG that they saw.

MOO

I was just looking at the map. If she left around 6:00 am and the parents didn't get out on the road until 8:00, in two hours she could be 4 miles away. If the parents went the wrong direction went they set out on there search ( or she was walking across the desert) she could be 6-7 miles away before the police got involved.
I don't think the times are that far apart. The neighbor near the house reported seeing Karlie at 6:30 am. So the fastest Karlie would have made it to Hwy 6 would be around 6:40, yet she was reportedly seen at the intersection at 7am behind a fence.

As for SM, she got up at 7:15 am and quickly got in her car, presumably at 7:30 am. That gave Karlie a relatively short lead. I wish I knew where SM drove first.

As for the time Karlie left, the text message from SM was at 5:48 am, then she put her phone in her pocket and fell asleep. I would have to think that it is impossible to immediately fall asleep, so you would have to say that Karlie couldn't have left before 6:00 am, but likely left later as she lives too close to the neighbor to have been seen at 6:30. So more likely she left at 6:20 or after, giving time to put on pants and shoes.

ETA: I don't know why they keep saying her SM last saw her at 7:45 when the text was 3 minutes later and you have to give time to fall asleep after that.

I don't think the times are that far apart. The neighbor near the house reported seeing Karlie at 6:30 am. So the fastest Karlie would have made it to Hwy 6 would be around 6:40, yet she was reportedly seen at the intersection at 7am behind a fence.

As for SM, she got up at 7:15 am and quickly got in her car, presumably at 7:30 am. That gave Karlie a relatively short lead. I wish I knew where SM drove first.

As for the time Karlie left, the text message from SM was at 5:48 am, then she put her phone in her pocket and fell asleep. I would have to think that it is impossible to immediately fall asleep, so you would have to say that Karlie couldn't have left before 6:00 am, but likely left later as she lives too close to the neighbor to have been seen at 6:30. So more likely she left at 6:20 or after, giving time to put on pants and shoes.

ETA: I don't know why they keep saying her SM last saw her at 7:45 when the text was 3 minutes later and you have to give time to fall asleep after that.
Okay, so attempting to tighten up the timeline, the first neighbor reported seeing Karlie around 6:30 am. That would be the retired LE officer?

On one of the stepmom's live videos from the morning of October 14 she says a neighbor just called her to say he saw Karlie walking towards hwy 6 the day before, around 7:15-7:30 am, so around the same time stepmom says she got into her car to look for Karlie. She doesn't say which neighbor or how far down the road Karlie was at that time so it's unclear.

I'm surprised he knew stepmom and had her phone number - maybe they have a Homeowner's Association with a directory?

The first neighbor saw Karlie between 6:30 and 6:45 as you (missingm) said. I can't find a time for the third witness sighting so I don't know which one called the stepmom about the 7:15 - 7:30 sighting but it seems key here because if it's the second sighting then stepmom would have seen Karlie. If it's the last sighting at the intersection then stepmom may have missed her by mere minutes and it would strongly point to someone picking her up.

LE interviewed neighbors when they arrived on scene so it's also not clear if the neigbor told them about the sighting before or after contacting the stepmom, assuming he told LE.

The reason I think it's important is because it gives us a huge clue about Karlie's state of mind at that time. A shorter time between sightings implies she was running while a longer interval implies she was walking slowly, possibly exhausted. We're talking about +/- 1 mile from her house to the hwy 6 intersection if I measured correctly.

I feel like I'll never get on top of this case... All MOO.

I’m thinking Karlie might have taken Adderall. SM and Dad said on Dr Phil she had difficulty falling asleep and they thought it was something “speedy” It’s very popular with college kids but I’m not sure about HS.
It’s very popular with high school kids too

I have wondered if she took addersll and mixed it with pot, possibly edibles. You can get very high, uncomfortably so, with edibles. And it comes in waves of weirdness and the addersll could keep her awake and agitated

Okay, so attempting to tighten up the timeline, the first neighbor reported seeing Karlie around 6:30 am. That would be the retired LE officer?

On one of the stepmom's live videos from the morning of October 14 she says a neighbor just called her to say he saw Karlie walking towards hwy 6 the day before, around 7:15-7:30 am, so around the same time stepmom says she got into her car to look for Karlie. She doesn't say which neighbor or how far down the road Karlie was at that time so it's unclear.

I'm surprised he knew stepmom and had her phone number - maybe they have a Homeowner's Association with a directory?

The first neighbor saw Karlie between 6:30 and 6:45 as you (missingm) said. I can't find a time for the third witness sighting so I don't know which one called the stepmom about the 7:15 - 7:30 sighting but it seems key here because if it's the second sighting then stepmom would have seen Karlie. If it's the last sighting at the intersection then stepmom may have missed her by mere minutes and it would strongly point to someone picking her up.

LE interviewed neighbors when they arrived on scene so it's also not clear if the neigbor told them about the sighting before or after contacting the stepmom, assuming he told LE.

The reason I think it's important is because it gives us a huge clue about Karlie's state of mind at that time. A shorter time between sightings implies she was running while a longer interval implies she was walking slowly, possibly exhausted. We're talking about +/- 1 mile from her house to the hwy 6 intersection if I measured correctly.

I feel like I'll never get on top of this case... All MOO.

As to the neighbor knowing the Strpmoms phone number—-I had sssumed the neighbor saw a FB post or a missing person flyer asking if anyone had seen her, and to call this number

Sigh and all MOO.

IMO, SM was the one who the neighbor saw walking. That would explain why she changed Karlie's clothing description, and the casual stroll. MOO.

Eta: I think the stroll was initially so they could say Karlie ran off and they were looking for her. But it's even better that a neighbor thinks it was Karlie herself.

IMO, SM was the one who the neighbor saw walking. That would explain why she changed Karlie's clothing description, and the casual stroll. MOO.

Eta: I think the stroll was initially so they could say Karlie ran off and they were looking for her. But it's even better that a neighbor thinks it was Karlie herself.

From I_M_H_O on Thursday:

~~~"I just keep coming back to this exchange, probably because IMO, it’s so representative of much of what we’ve heard from ZG and MG:

“‘Melissa, you told NBC, the next morning that at 5:45 a.m., you did your usual routine of opening up the kids’ doors, saying good morning, getting them ready for school -- that sort of thing. Did you – she was still in bed at that time. Did you go back and lay down?’ Dr. Phil asked Melissa on the show which aired on March 25, 2019.

‘No. That – the Dateline NBC?’ Melissa answered. ‘Yeah, that was a false story. Because I wasn’t – it was a lie about checking in on Karlie. Because it was in the beginning, and I didn’t know what to say and – I shouldn’t have even done the interview.’

Karlie’s father Zachary was also on set with Dr. Phil.

‘It was too early. You don’t know what to do,’ Zachary told Dr. Phil. ‘There’s no handbook for this, man.’” (BBM)
Sixteen-year-old Karlie Gusé missing after vanishing from California home

For whatever it’s worth, here are my interpretations of the parents’ statements:
“Yeah, that was a false story”: “I made it up. So what? Why are you even asking about it?”

“Because I wasn’t ... in on Karlie.”: “It was just about checking in on her. It’s a non-issue. What’s the big deal about lying?”
I’m very curious as to why she stopped herself after the “Because I wasn’t ....”

“Because it was ... done the interview.”: The statement makes no sense, IMO. What difference does it make that it was soon after Karlie disappeared? There is no logic to what she says here, IMO. Why does she regret doing the interview, while she apparently doesn’t see a problem with the fact that she lied?

“It was too ... what to do” and “There’s no handbook for this, man”: Non-answer, IMO.

Why not just give a straight answer?

Michael Chambers: Missing since March 10, 2017
If you have a tip, call Klein Investigations at 409-729-8798
Alexandra Brueger: Fatally shot on July 30, 2016
If you have a tip, call MSP at 800-MICH-TIPS
inmyhumbleopinion, Thursday at 7:43 PM
"~~~

What else has been lied about in this case?? IMHO we really do not know. Does LE know?

One of my thoughts about the statements regarding checking in on Karlie was that the parents either were trying to downplay the part about her using / being given drugs other than Marijuana or were not sure how the SM sleeping in the bed with KG was going to be perceived. Neither of which would seem to make logical sense now, knowing what we know, but at the time, who knows what the thought process was. Suppose that one of those was part of the initial thought process, they would still have to establish a time line of events that fit what actually happened.

I really don't think they saw SM. The witness described her as a young really really skinny girl with long hair. That just doesn't fit SM's description

This is a strange case where the family is admittedly filtering information for the public. They are making decisions about what needs to be shared and care little if they change facts that they feel are unimportant. Unfortunatly it just makes people suspicious and they appear to have zero self awareness about that.

The only other discrepancy is where Karlie's phone was left. It seems a relatively insignificant fact (I would totally understand why the parents would pick it up to look for info and not put it back exactly) but the parents and bf seem adamant about where it was with the bf saying it was in the bedroom and the parents saying it was in the kitchen.

I really don't think they saw SM. The witness described her as a young really really skinny girl with long hair. That just doesn't fit SM's description
Is there an MSM source for that? The SM used the "very skinny" reference about an interview the neighbor gave but I have not been able to find it. She went out of her way to mention that and it strikes me more of the filtering behavior I mentioned in my previous post. Especially as she is no doubt very aware of social media commentary on the case.

IMO
From the Dr Phil show, when asked why they wouldn't initially share the audio tape, after hemming and hawing and looking at each other, Melissa tells Dr Phil, "It won't solve the mystery of where she is." She says this with a smirky smile on her face! That's really odd and disturbing to me!!

And Dr. Phil, in the face of this weirdness from these two, ends up basically saying he doesn't feel there's anything amiss. WHAT?????

@Jim_M I totally agree with your take. They seem to be wondering why everyone is making such a big deal about their odd demeanor and changing stories. It's just so atypical of the statements and actions of most parents of a missing child.

IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member