CA CA - Karlie Lain Gusé, 16, Mono County, 13 Oct 2018 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Search continues for California teen Karlie Gusé​

By Doug Kari Special to the Review-Journal
November 5, 2018 - 5:31 pm

Shortly after dawn on Saturday, Oct. 13, neighbors in the eastern California community of Chalfant Valley spotted 16-year-old Karlie Lain Gusé walking by herself near the highway that leads toward Nevada. She hasn’t been seen since.
Despite an extensive air and ground search, an investigation by local law enforcement and the FBI, and nationwide publicity, no clues have surfaced in the mysterious case.

Last weekend the sheriff’s office in Mono County, California, which is leading the investigation, searched the desert with cadaver-sniffing dogs.

“The biggest clue in this case is that there’s no clue,” Sgt. Seth Clark said. “We think Karlie may still be out there.”
The sheriff’s office is treating the incident as a missing person case and said in a Facebook posting that there’s “no evidence of an abduction or any other crime.” But Karlie’s family suspects otherwise.

<modsnip: copyright violation>

Melissa started pushing the abduction theory from her first Facebook Live video on October 13. The one thing that I agree with Zac on in this article is that it seems unlikely that Karlie, who was supposedly paranoid due to drugs or having some kind of mental breakdown walked out of her home on a cold, dark early morning, taking nothing with her (phone, glasses, money, warm clothing) and just happened to be abducted (and the period from when she was supposedly last seen and when Melissa was supposedly out looking for and the lack of eyewitness accounts of Karlie allegedly walking along the highway) seems very unlikely. What are the odds? In another article a year later (which was posted in this thread), it's stated that at one point on the recording, Karlie asked Melissa, "Am I going to live until morning?" Conveniently, the PEOPLE documentary only included the part where Karlie said she was eating "the devil's lettuce".

The second witness, Kenneth Dutton, the only one of the three who claimed that it was Karlie that he saw, has since moved out of state. At the time of Karlie's disappearance, he was listed as owning and/or residing in three different houses, one of which was the one on Sequoia Street (which was sold the following year). The first witness, Richard Eddy, as I mentioned, did not live at the house on Ponderosa Street, his son did. The "wooder" has never been publicly identified, and I can't help but wonder why that is. Interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Melissa stating on Dr. Phil (airdate March 15, 2019) that the reason she lied to Dateline NBC (gave them a false statement as to how and when she realized Karlie was missing) was because she and Zac were supposedly told not to talk about the case publicly; it was "too early" in the investigation to give information. She then claimed that within 20 minutes of giving Dateline her statement, she tried to get them to retract it, but she was told that it was too late, it had already been published (October 22, 2018).

While I don't believe Melissa's reason for supposedly giving Dateline a false story (not to mention that it was very misleading and potentially damaging to the case), there is another major problem with Melissa's explanation. On that same day, October 22, 2018, Melissa did a Facebook Live video, in which she gave another version of what supposedly happened the night before and the morning of Karlie's disappearance. This was also the first time that Melissa claimed that she was in bed with Karlie all night. Toward the end of the video, Melissa said that she had previously been told by LE to not comment publicly on the case (even though she had been doing that since October 13 on her FB Lives) but now, she was allowed to "share the details". Excuse me? Of course, by November 2018, Melissa had stopped making videos (at least the ones she posted publicly) and deleted all of her Facebook Lives (although you can still find many of them online), and it was claimed that this was done because she was tired of being attacked, however, I don't think that's the real reason.

Melissa lied on national television as to why she gave a "false story" to Dateline, and then claims she still went through with lying because she wanted to "bring awareness to Karlie's case". How is that going to work if you keep changing your story and lying? At this point, I don't know which version Melissa has told is closer to the truth.

A Twitter/X post this evening from the Sacramento FBI office:

View attachment 505915
I wonder how much the FBI is actually doing. They appear to have sided with the Mono County Sheriff's Office as well as Zac and Melissa (see their series of videos in the case as well as the PEOPLE documentary). LE dropped the ball, and I can't help but think it's in large part due to Melissa's alleged ties to the sheriff's office and because her family is prominent in the community. I hope I'm wrong about the FBI and I do appreciate that they didn't cite the "eyewitness" accounts as the last time Karlie was seen.

No-Body Homicide Cases: A Practical Approach​

By Michael L. Yoder, M.A., M.A.

In 2014 the FBI’s National Crime Information Center (NCIC) entered 635,155 missing person records into its database.1 Records cleared or canceled during the same period totaled 634,367—a clearance rate of 99.87 percent with 788 records remaining.2 Possible reasons for these removals included 1) a law enforcement agency located the subject; 2) the individual returned home; or 3) the entering agency removed the record after deeming it invalid.3

<modsnip> MORE AT LINK…

Last edited by a moderator:
@ Noirdame79 - this case and the lack of any meaningful progress, as well as the drama surounding it. Made me step away, waiting for some sort of meaningful, factual, information to come to light.

But wanted to say I appreciate your dedication to Karlie and your posts, thank you.

@ Noirdame79 - this case and the lack of any meaningful progress, as well as the drama surounding it. Made me step away, waiting for some sort of meaningful, factual, information to come to light.

But wanted to say I appreciate your dedication to Karlie and your posts, thank you.

There was so much drama, mostly from the Guses, and so much misinformation, and the changing stories have made things worse; it seemed that Karlie was forgotten about. Coupled with the fact that the Mono County Sheriff's Office messed up the investigation and doesn't want to take accountability, the picture becomes clearer. So many people failed Karlie. I hope there will be a break in the case. Thank you for your kind words.

There seems to be some confusion about where Karlie would catch the school bus. The school bus stop was located where the end of White Mountain Estates Road meets the highway; this is also as far as the cadaver dogs were able to track her scent. There is a structure further down the highway that was intended to be a public bus stop but has never been used as one. Some have mistakenly referred to that as Karlie's bus stop.

On October 16, 2018, a third neighbor, whose identity has never been revealed, claimed to have seen a female with long hair, wearing a white tank top and dark pants walking down Ponderosa Street, between 6:45 am and 7 am (between the alleged sightings by Richard Eddy and Kenneth Dutton) on October 13. Not long after, the anonymous neighbor's account was dropped and never mentioned again.

At 7:30 am, a county employee, whose account was mentioned on the Dr. Phil segment, drove past White Mountain Estates on Highway 6 and did not see anyone. In addition, approximately 50 motorists who were driving on Highway 6 that morning were questioned by law enforcement at a highway checkpoint set up a week after Karlie vanished. These individuals stated they didn't remember seeing anyone matching Karlie's description on or near the highway.

I will probably not be posting about this case that much after this until there is movement or better yet, a break in the case. When that happens, it should allow for more avenues of discussion. I care about what happened to this girl, and if a proper investigation had been conducted from the beginning, there very likely would have been a resolution long before now. There is a strong possibility that with the passage of time, potential evidence is long gone. It shouldn't have happened. Karlie deserves to be found. She deserves justice.

Last edited:
Thank you Noirdame79 for you posts of your thoughts and opinions on this case.
I've learned a lot from your sharing these bits of information that I never would have known about had I not read it here. Take care.

Karlie’s story is on ID channel at this moment. It is a People Magazine Investigates episode and her dad & stepmom are featured.

I really would like to see Karlie found. I appreciate all the posts and info that Noirdame79 provided us recently.

* My opinions

It took nearly six months before Karlie was added to NamUs. Some agencies list her as a runaway.

This case needs a new and fresh pair of eyes.

karliegA1IAbbVS4hxoD35BjyqL7I_rIe-OBUGalUg-9PmqLrLYixbToK7IHFnXhjjPz2vasIRpBMWH5Cz7XKc7pb5Vr5q...jpg

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CP95
Back