CA CA - Karlie Lain Gusé, 16, Mono County, 13 Oct 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mono County Sheriff: October 20, 2018

One week has passed since 16-year old Karlie Lain Gusé was last seen near her home in Chalfant, California. Karlie walked away from her home, leaving her phone behind, in the early morning of Saturday, October 13, 2018. There were sightings of her in the area of White Mountain Estates Road and Highway 6 around 7 – 7:30 am. She was wearing a white t-shirt and gray sweatpants. Karlie is a white female, 16 years old, 5’ 07”, 110 pounds, dark blond hair and blue eyes.

We are following all leads and tips and considering all possibilities. We enlisted the assistance of many resources in our search for Karlie. We interviewed all family and friends. For several days we conducted a search of the surrounding high desert, utilizing helicopters, scent dogs, off-road vehicles, and foot patrol. We are scouring her social media and electronic devices. Her family is fully cooperative, and we are in regular contact with them. Her Missing Person flyer has been shared with local and regional media and shared over many social media platforms. Karlie has been added to the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children. She does not meet the criteria for an AMBER alert as there is no evidence or indication of an abduction.

Please continue to share the Missing Person flyer and photos of Karlie. We appreciate helpful suggestions and welcome any information that will lead to finding Karlie and bring her home safely to her family.

Mono County Sheriff's Office

So from the Dateline article she went to a party and came home "feeling disoriented" but no one thought to take her to the hospital? So she just stayed up all night and then walked out of the house?

THANK YOU! My exact questions...she called home from a party to be picked up early “feeling disoriented”, enough so that LE included on Missing Report next day? JMO...could be synthetic marijuana:

Synthetic Cannabinoids (K2/Spice)

Maybe it as something more potent or influential that weed/booze/k2. It could be pills or harder. If she’s run off to party I could see why they wouldn’t want to share that. What if she’s pregnant and running away? Anything is possible. It seems like the police are actively on top of it. Maybe theyre onto something. Hope so.

Here's google maps image map of the last known sighting of Karlie - where the estates are and where she was seen walking toward Highway 6.

View attachment 152123

From the map:
It is less than a mile from the estates to the beginning of Highway 6.
There are no other roads for miles unless you're on Highway 6 that heads north.
It is a remote foothills mountainous area all around the estates.

IMO, scenarios related to her disappearance:

She could have hitchhiked on or been abducted or assaulted or stumbled and fell down on or near Highway 6.
However, if she was disoriented for whatever reason(s) she could have just wanted to 'get some air' and get away from the house, and went for a walk or hiked up into the foothills without ever intending to go onto Highway 6, and anything could have happened (accident, abduction, passed out)...

I think this map is incorrect.
'Karlie Lain Guse was last seen in the early morning of Saturday, October 13, 2018, on Ponderosa Street near White Mountain Estate Road in Chalfant.'

White Mountain Estates and Ponderosa St. are north of where your marker is.
It took going on Zillow to find the placement of White Mountain Estate Rd. and Ponderosa St.

It's like someone dropped a town in the middle of nowhere

Attachments

• 20181023_092036.png
    20181023_092036.png
    750.5 KB · Views: 66
  • 20181023_091822.png
    20181023_091822.png
    63.9 KB · Views: 65
  • 20181023_091852.png
    20181023_091852.png
    475.6 KB · Views: 63
Mono County Sheriff: October 20, 2018

One week has passed since 16-year old Karlie Lain Gusé was last seen near her home in Chalfant, California. Karlie walked away from her home, leaving her phone behind, in the early morning of Saturday, October 13, 2018. There were sightings of her in the area of White Mountain Estates Road and Highway 6 around 7 – 7:30 am. She was wearing a white t-shirt and gray sweatpants. Karlie is a white female, 16 years old, 5’ 07”, 110 pounds, dark blond hair and blue eyes.

We are following all leads and tips and considering all possibilities. We enlisted the assistance of many resources in our search for Karlie. We interviewed all family and friends. For several days we conducted a search of the surrounding high desert, utilizing helicopters, scent dogs, off-road vehicles, and foot patrol. We are scouring her social media and electronic devices. Her family is fully cooperative, and we are in regular contact with them. Her Missing Person flyer has been shared with local and regional media and shared over many social media platforms. Karlie has been added to the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children. She does not meet the criteria for an AMBER alert as there is no evidence or indication of an abduction.

Please continue to share the Missing Person flyer and photos of Karlie. We appreciate helpful suggestions and welcome any information that will lead to finding Karlie and bring her home safely to her family.

Mono County Sheriff's Office
Interesting that they removed the "disoriented" part in this press release. This one is beginning to sound like a runaway or at the least she left on her own accord for some reason. I also find it interesting that LE emphatically placed in the PR that she does not meet AMBER alert criteria which is found here. She is younger than 17 which is a specific criteria but LE must not believe she was or has been abducted or is in any imminent danger of injury or death.

There is something just underneath the surface on this one - just don't know what it is. <modsnip - not victim friendly> Hope wherever she is that she's safe.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is what I cant stand.

They ask the public for help, but they cannot elaborate as to why this missing person is considered disoriented or critical?

<modsnip - not victim friendly> Helping the public to better understand her current state of mind and overall health will give us a better idea of what were looking for.

Should the public keep a watchful eye out for a girl with obvious signs of amnesia, a girl who doesnt know her right from her left, a girl who is loaded up on drugs or alcohol, a girl displaying mental illness, a girl exhibiting poor health...? Should we expect for her to be behaving in a certain way?

What if someone thinks they see her but this person isnt acting disoriented, so they dont bother reporting the sighting because of it?

I dont think anyone should ever ask for help if they arent willing to tell you what they need your help for.

They may not know why. And I don't think it makes a difference. Disoriented is disorientated. Sometimes it's hard to tell the difference between someone under the influence and someone experiencing mental health issues.

Are you suggesting she may not be found because someone spots a thin, pretty blonde girl in the area who may be acting drunk but they aren't sure how she's supposed to be acting?

These are small towns in the area and by now everyone knows she's missing. If she's seen I don't think the subtleties of how she's acting will play a part in either noticing her or reporting it.

I kind of get the sense people just want to victim blame, maybe, and force the authorities to admit she may have been on something.

Well maybe she was. Kids that age experiment sometimes. Doesn't mean she's any less worthy of being found.

It could be the beginning of schizophrenia though. Psychosis. Sometimes people don't notice the prodrome phase in teens and/or it's a sudden onset of psychosis:

Schizophrenia Ages 13-18 - The Whole Child

Brian tumor could also explain not feeling well and disorientation.

Or yeah, the kids could've been partying. Sleeplessness and dehydration are the two main reasons for a psychotic episode in people. I believe that could've been sparked in the Bryce Laspisa case as he was apparently taking Adderall and acting odd before he took off.

I worry she either wandered off the road and succumbed to the elements or was picked up by someone who harmed her.

I know locals have chimed in, grateful. Thank you and welcome. I’d be interested to know if the house move was “moving up” or if they have any level of wealth? Being a wealthy influential family might explain their hesitancy air air her dirty laundry? Idk. I also thought someone said she has a history of passing out when she doesn’t eat.. did i dream this?
No you got it right. Makes me think she had some health issues that are not being disclosed.

Interesting that they removed the "disoriented" part in this press release. This one is beginning to sound like a runaway or at the least she left on her own accord for some reason. I also find it interesting that LE emphatically placed in the PR that she does not meet AMBER alert criteria which is found here. She is younger than 17 which is a specific criteria but LE must not believe she was or has been abducted or is in any imminent danger of injury or death.

There is something just underneath the surface on this one - just don't know what it is. The family squabbling on SM, seeming nonchalant attitude of some close to her and a few other things have led me to believe this. Hope wherever she is that she's safe.

They have no evidence of an abduction. That doesn't mean they have evidence that she wasn't abducted.

The criteria is strict. They have to typically have a car or perp description and some sign she was taken.

The fact that they don't doesn't mean someone didn't opportunistically snatch her from the side of the road. I hope that didn't happen but there's a possibility.

I'm sure they're looking at all angles.

<modsnip - quoted post removed>

It says it in this MSM article: Sixteen-year-old Karlie Gusé missing after vanishing from California home

"The next morning, around 5:45 a.m., Melissa said she went through her usual routine of opening the kids’ doors and saying good morning to them. She told Dateline she saw Karlie in her bed at that time. Melissa said she then went back to sleep for a little bit. But when she woke up a little bit later and opened Karlie’s door again, Karlie was nowhere to be found."
Wow! @Alethea This truly seems unlikely. Why would the usual routine apply to a Saturday morning?
This is troubling. Does she really perform this routine 7 days a week?
Earlier in this case, the stepmom had said that Karlie went missing for no reason at all... Theres a reason.
So the stepmom saw her in bed at 5:45am and at that moment she was able to determine that Karlie was disoriented and had been up all night? Makes no sense at all!!! And of course there was a reason behind her disappearance but that reason seems to be a secret.
The stepmom keeps making statements that are not sitting right with me. Sometimes the constant need to make these statements will slowly chip away at ones credibility. This is not good.

Also if Karlie was disoriented for whatever reason while she went missing, is there reason to believe she still is now? If so why is that? It would even be helpful to know as she's been missing for 12 days.

Thank you!! Was thinking the same thing. For how long should one remain disoriented? If she were drunk or high on drugs this would only be a temporary altered state of mind, unless of course she had some permanent brain damage from drug/alcohol use, or she suffers from an underlying mental illness. Even then, mania comes and goes.

Im 5'7 if I stretch and typically run around 115-117 at 32 years old. I know that's 5 lbs heavier, but I'm perfectly healthy. In high school I was even smaller, I was constantly playing soccer and practicing. She could be completely healthy, but the disoriented comment has seriously thrown me for a loop

Yes, but do you faint/pass out alot? That is whats troubling here.

Thank you!! Was thinking the same thing. For how long should one remain disoriented? If she were drunk or high on drugs this would only be a temporary altered state of mind, unless of course she had some permanent brain damage from drug/alcohol use, or she suffers from an underlying mental illness. Even then, mania comes and goes.

I have been asking about what they mean by disoriented because the first releases from LE stated she has not eaten and I immediately assumed a medical issue like type 1 diabetes or some other physical condition where you'd call the hospitals and check brush and possible shelters for a child suffering a medical emergency who fainted or could not help herself.

If she was disoriented due to any type of substance, it would have metabolized and worn off after a certain amount of time and then you would be looking for a healthy person. If she was suffering from a mental illness, then you'd be looking for a still-disoriented person. In either case, maybe she decided she needed time away from her family or wanted to hide out with friends. Or, more sinister, she was hitchhiking and picked up by someone with less than good intentions.

But in the immediate day(s), if it was a medical condition, you'd want as many people as possible looking for a passed-out child near where she was last seen. If she had low blood sugar, she would need to eat very quickly or she could suffer permanent issues.

Are you suggesting she may not be found because someone spots a thin, pretty blonde girl in the area who may be acting drunk but they aren't sure how she's supposed to be acting?

I kind of get the sense people just want to victim blame, maybe, and force the authorities to admit she may have been on something.

Well maybe she was. Kids that age experiment sometimes. Doesn't mean she's any less worthy of being found.

No! I would never suggest such a thing. Im not sure why you would even insinuate such nonsense.
Im simply saying the more information the better. If the public is being asked for assistance then its wise to leave no room for question so as to better aid in recognizing her should her behavior be an identifying factor. In this case, behavior has been indicated. From the moment of her disappearance, she was described as disoriented. Im sorry, but "disoriented" could mean a number of specific behaviorisms which is why this is a very vague clue to provide without appropriate explanation.
I never said she doesnt deserve to be found and i am in no way shape or form victim shaming. I never said anything about a "thin, pretty blonde acting drunk" either. You are twisting everything i have said to make it seem like I have no grounds to feel that honesty would better assist the public in helping to bring this girl home. Please do not put words in my mouth or suggest that I dont want for this beautiful, young girl to be found. Of course I want her to be found!!! Isnt that what we all want here?
I understand that you feel strongly for the family's right to privacy as it concerns the details of their child's state of mind. They should not have to disclose sensitive details that they feel are too personal. However, it should not be expected that the public can efficiently do their part with unclear information. Privacy shouldnt be the priority here. Karlie being found is what should be most important above all else. If my child were missing you better believe Im going to do and say whatever is necessary (private or not) to ensure ive done everything in my power to bring my child home. Id only be cheating my child out of being found if i limit what information should be shared with the public when i am requesting their help.

The "I woke them up at 5.45 then went back to bed" story is very odd. It may be true but without further elaboration as to why she did that, it just doesn't seem right or in any way logical.

After looking at the location I got a bad feeling about this one. It would be so easy to get lost out there as it's insanely isolated and it would all look the same if you lost sight of houses etc.

I have been asking about what they mean by disoriented because the first releases from LE stated she has not eaten and I immediately assumed a medical issue like type 1 diabetes or some other physical condition where you'd call the hospitals and check brush and possible shelters for a child suffering a medical emergency who fainted or could not help herself.

If she was disoriented due to any type of substance, it would have metabolized and worn off after a certain amount of time and then you would be looking for a healthy person. If she was suffering from a mental illness, then you'd be looking for a still-disoriented person. In either case, maybe she decided she needed time away from her family or wanted to hide out with friends. Or, more sinister, she was hitchhiking and picked up by someone with less than good intentions.

But in the immediate day(s), if it was a medical condition, you'd want as many people as possible looking for a passed-out child near where she was last seen. If she had low blood sugar, she would need to eat very quickly or she could suffer permanent issues.
Exactly. I couldnt have said it any better. You have been asking this from the beginning. It is important to be clear when making a statement like this. It does make a difference since the majority of us responding to this thread continue to question it. With that said, there is a high probability that the rest of the public will likely have the same questions.
I hope Karlie is found safe. I really do.

I think LE has got this.
I also don't think it will be too long before there is an arrest.
Agree with the first sentence. For the second, an arrest for what?

LE said in their last press release that Karlie doesn't meet AMBER criteria - the main one of which is a known abduction or that the child is known to be in imminent danger of serious injury or death. She even meets one of the other criteria of being under 17 but no AMBER alert will be issued because there is no evidence she has been abducted. I just don't know what they could arrest someone for - especially when Karlie is still missing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member