CA CA - Katrina Ashford, 19, San Rafael, 11 July 1972

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Gardener1850

Timeline Guru (Still Remembering Cupcake)
Reaction score
No Photo

Katrina Iris Ashford
Marin County, California
19 year old black/african american female

Black Hair
Brown Eyes

Height (inches)60.0
Weight (pounds)130.0

Circumstances: She was last seen on 07/11/1972 by her parents.
Her vehicle was recovered in Marin County on 07/14/1972.

Dental information / charting is available and entered

DNA Status: Sample is currently not available

Fingerprint information is currently not available

Please help find a photo of Katrina and more info.

<MOD NOTE: Several original links throughout the thread were broken and have been edited to include the current link (when available) and images as of November 14, 2022>

Last edited by a moderator:
Still no picture. If alive she would be approx. 100 yrs old by now.

Katrina Ashford: Car Was Found Abandoned Days After She Disappeared

From November 2019

On July 11, 1972, the 19-year-old Katrina Ashford disappeared from San Rafael, California. Katrina’s parents were the last to see her before she went missing and three days later, her vehicle was reportedly recovered in Marin County (the same county where she resided). According to the National Missing and Unidentified Persons Database, Katrina was possibly involved in a prostitution ring. I have to add, however, that I could only find this information from that particular agency and I haven’t been able to cross-reference this information with any other source.

Unfortunately, there aren’t any photos of Katrina made available to the public, but she is described in reports as being 5 feet 0 inches tall and 130 pounds. She had black hair and brown eyes. No other information about her clothing or distinctive characteristics has been shared. Katrina would be 66-years-old at the time of this publication.

Here is an unfortunate and interesting update.

I just spoke with the sheriff's department who also spoke with the coroner assigned to this case. Although Katrina's file states that dental records are available, in actuality they likely are not. They have been unable to locate them as they were likely paper records and were never eventually put online. In all honesty, they might have been destroyed long before the internet even came to be.

Am I alone in thinking this is big news? Or has this been common knowledge and I am just learning of this tidbit now. I always assumed when a profile stated that dentals were available it meant that the person entering the file into NCIC had the records either in hand or on file.

I honestly wonder how many other missing persons profiles state that "dentals are available" when in actuality this hasn't been confirmed to be true?

I think this means a lot for other older cases with no DNA but "dentals available". Definitely makes me more skeptical...

Here is an unfortunate and interesting update.

I just spoke with the sheriff's department who also spoke with the coroner assigned to this case. Although Katrina's file states that dental records are available, in actuality they likely are not. They have been unable to locate them as they were likely paper records and were never eventually put online. In all honesty, they might have been destroyed long before the internet even came to be.

Am I alone in thinking this is big news? Or has this been common knowledge and I am just learning of this tidbit now. I always assumed when a profile stated that dentals were available it meant that the person entering the file into NCIC had the records either in hand or on file.

I honestly wonder how many other missing persons profiles state that "dentals are available" when in actuality this hasn't been confirmed to be true?

I think this means a lot for other older cases with no DNA but "dentals available". Definitely makes me more skeptical...

Very bad news. "Just" another one where identifiers or even probably the body got lost. CA did cremate unidentified remains in the old days. Hopefully this wasn't the case with this girl and they stored something belonging to her. As there is no clothing description f.i. and no distinctive characteristics have been shared (there must have been there one day, as she was found "intact") I wonder what they actually have on file, because it's sounds like the whole record got lost. As she was named as a probable prostitute and sorry for saying her being African American, I imagine she didn't get the rightful attention or priority.

Very bad news. "Just" another one where identifiers or even probably the body got lost. CA did cremate unidentified remains in the old days. Hopefully this wasn't the case with this girl and they stored something belonging to her. As there is no clothing description f.i. and no distinctive characteristics have been shared (there must have been there one day, as she was found "intact") I wonder what they actually have on file, because it's sounds like the whole record got lost. As she was named as a probable prostitute and sorry for saying her being African American, I imagine she didn't get the rightful attention or priority.

I was told by multiple CA sheriffs that most jane and john does from the 70s and earlier were very likely to have been cremated. Most older cases say DNA not available, but dentals available. I am dealing with another case that also says only dentals available but LE can't find dentals..

But I bet that many states also have profiles that state "dentals available" and when you actually ask them to cross reference it to a missing person, suddenly uh-oh actually no dentals.

I really imagine that many other states do this. For example, I think that Texas absolutely does this. Especially the counties and the areas that are policed by walker Texas rangers. haha.

But what this means is that now if we see dentals available for cases, we can't assume it has been referenced to any files because they might not even have them!

I don't get it though. If you are doing LE admin, and you are entering or creating or updating a profile, and you don't see dentals then don't enter "Dentals Available" that's a damn lie.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kristens5487
Back