Found Deceased CA - Kiely Rodni missing from Party Near Prosser Family Campground in Truckee #7

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone blow this up? Curious what this is. A blunt? I think it is safe to say, the kids were definitely partying in the vehicle.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-09-02 at 1.16.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-02 at 1.16.04 PM.png
    397.5 KB · Views: 171
I tried grabbing screenshots from the video at some items you could see inside the vehicle. Not human remains. It looks like maybe a phone charger and a Truly can…

View attachment 363445View attachment 363446
I can see what appears to perhaps be a deflated airbag, which would be a good indicator that the vehicle's Event Data Recorder (EDR) should have recorded pertinent data, assuming it was not damaged, including whether or not Kiely was in the driver's seat when the crash happened, and much more data. I had posted this before, but this seems a good time to bring it forward.
'
The NHTSA is in the process of implementing a rule that will standardize the information collected by EDRs. For now, the data collected by the event recorder can vary based on the auto manufacturer, the model of the vehicle and the EDR unit itself. However, the unit normally captures 15 or more variables, monitored about 20 seconds before the crash and 5-10 seconds after the crash. The information usually includes:

• Pre-crash vehicle operational dynamics such as the speed, use of accelerator, engine RPM, use of steering wheel.
  • Crash force, both forward and lateral.
  • Crash duration.
  • Application of brakes and activation of antilock brake.
  • Change in speed after impact.
  • Activation of fault codes or warning signals.
  • Engagement of stability control.
  • Vehicle roll angle.
  • Number of ignition attempts after the accident.
  • Use of restraint and engagement of pretension and force-limiter for front seat occupants.
  • Position of front seats.
  • Size (weight) of front seat occupants.
  • Number of impacts.
  • Deployment of airbags, speed of deployment and faults, if any.
  • Activation of the automatic collision notification system.

Looks a lot like the charger we have for an older Mac laptop.

Edited to add an image: Is this a vape pen, maybe? I do not vape, but one of my sisters does, and shape looks similar? Also could be a knife? Thoughts?
I thought it looked like a hair brush??
SS is from Madmcgoo's SS

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220902-121722_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220902-121722_Chrome.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 105
TRUCKEE, Calif. —
A celebration of life has been scheduled for 16-year-old Kiely Rodni, the teen who was found last month in a Truckee-area lake weeks after going missing.

Organizers of "Find Kiely Rodni" said the community will come together to celebrate Rodni's life on Sept. 10 from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. The event will be held at the Truckee Regional Park Amphitheater.
There will be local music and a ceremony at Rodni's celebration of life.

I think it's a smart idea that AWP doesn't accept rewards. That way they can choose cases on a fair basis and not be accused of going for the cases with the largest rewards. Monetary motive is removed from the equation.

Hey Gemmie! I’m doing very well thanks. I hope you are too. :)

You’re right, there still is some confusion for me when it comes to reward money being accepted. I didn’t look too much into it because in my opinion it’s a moot point. I think they deserve every penny they get (no matter the source) if they continue to provide results like this. I can’t even imagine where we’d be if they had not retraced the steps of previous searchers. We could be tossing around wild theories on this thread 5, 10 years from now. Know what I mean? :D

On another note, that video was a little sensational in parts, but still so gut wrenching to watch. I cannot fathom coming face to face with human remains while diving under water. Or under any circumstances for that matter. That has got to take a tole on anyone doing it. They’ve earned my respect.

And seeing and hearing Kiely’s poor family’s reactions. Ugh. :( MASSIVE hugs to all involved!!

ETA: These are all my own opinions.
Doug Bishop of AWP who led this search stated in a news piece that they would honor the reward if they got it. Somebody tried to raise $150k via a popular crowdfunding site in family's name, but I'm not sure if that was going towards the reward.

ETA: It appears the the fundraiser was created for the reward (the amount raised is now much higher):

The public has also set out to aid in the search for Rodni, and a page created by Truckee resident Amie Quirarte has raised over $16,000 in additional reward money at the time of publication.

Video with Bishop's interview:

Last edited:
I just watched.

My impression is that AWP was outstanding in locating Kiely. That is the indisputable bottom line.

I do think this video was slickly done, edited for maximum drama, and designed to boost their profile and income. For example, if they were trying to respectfully stay tight-lipped when they found her, so as to not cause alarm among those who were watching, or to not alarm Kiely's family until it was confirmed,(as Doug said),they could simply have chosen to forego filming altogether. They also didn't need to include some negative comments about LE being unable to find her.

However, that's how things are done now. Subscribers and views bring money, which they need. Personally I would prefer that they would just be able to receive any rewards offered in any cases that they've recovered, to avoid the drama, suspense and hype aspects that they include here.

They are a production company founded by a self-described influencer as much as they are a recovery operation, but if that's what it takes to find the missing then I get it.

Nick the tow-truck driver sounds sincere, IMO, but I believe he was either confused or mistaken that he helped Kiely. I've said before that dispatch would have all the records of which day and time he went out on this call and would also have logged the license plate, make and model of the vehicle he went to boost.

And if that girl WAS Kiely, why would she be asking him how to put on a seatbelt, when all we've heard is that she was driving for years? It either wasn't her, or if it was her, she was not in a sober state of mind. But I still don't believe it was her, and the car was not where it would've been according to Nick's statement.

The fish swimming around the car...devastating.

Jmo

ETA: didn't the tow truck driver state that the girl's phone was dead and therefore the boy she was with made the call to roadside assistance? So wouldn't it be elementary for LE to check the dispatch incoming call records, call the boy's number, and have him ascertain who he is and who was the girl with him? Am I missing something?

Last edited:
If Kiely was planning on driving straight home from the party, why is the Truly can still in her car? Perhaps when Sami said they were "trading drinks," maybe the kids each brought a case of alcoholic beverages and they traded with each other. I would think she would have cleaned up any evidence of drinking and maybe drugs (not sure that's a blunt), before heading home.

I’m just watching now. I find it hard to believe the tow-truck driver could have seen her the morning after the party. From everything we know about Kiely, the girl who asked permission for a short extension to her curfew the night before, it seems incredulous that, having access to a phone, she didn’t at any point contact home in the subsequent 10/11 hours.

And if that girl WAS Kiely, why would she be asking him how to put on a seatbelt, when all we've heard is that she was driving for years? It either wasn't her, or if it was her, she was not in a sober state of mind.
RSBM.
Or, a third option considered up thread is whether KR was using her bright wit to call attention to her blight, if she was in fact in the midst of some sort of abduction... A veiled call for help if you may that went unnoticed by TT guy? IMO.

Just throwing that out there... not sure if I think that is a real possibility. If it is, it makes me even sadder about this case.

I think it's a smart idea that AWP doesn't accept rewards. That way they can choose cases on a fair basis and not be accused of going for the cases with the largest rewards. Monetary motive is removed from the equation.
AWP did once try and claim a reward. There was a dispute about it (see link). Not sure if this influenced the new policy of not taking rewards. Completely MOO but taking rewards would be better than trying to fund AWP's excellent work with a Youtube channel. If a reward is offered and the terms of the reward are met, it seems appropriate to me that AWP would get that reward.

If Kiely was planning on driving straight home from the party, why is the Truly can still in her car? Perhaps when Sami said they were "trading drinks," maybe the kids each brought a case of alcoholic beverages and they traded with each other. I would think she would have cleaned up any evidence of drinking and maybe drugs (not sure that's a blunt), before heading home.

I’d think it’d depend on her relationship with her parents, her parents’ attitude toward the relevant laws, how tired, and/or impaired she was, who she expected to drive the car next—all sorts of things. Maybe she planned to toss the evidence out the window on the way home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gisberthanekroot