Found Deceased CA - Kiely Rodni missing from Party Near Prosser Family Campground in Truckee #8

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
What is strange to me, is my understanding about iPhones is they charge rapidly, especially in a car.

My sister has one, and I've been out with her while she has plugged it in, and it charges much faster than my (not iPhone) phone does.

So....if SS and Kiely were going back to the CRV to charge phones--which sounds like they did at least once, possibly more in SS interviews, I have two questions:

-How the heck did Kiely's phone die at 12:03 and then again at 12:33 (and turn on to contact SS at 12:36?) and then the same phone is dead again less than 12 hours later when Roadside Nick possibly encounters Kiely?

-What were SS and Kiely doing to run down the phones? Videos? Pictures? Texting mom and the ex bf a couple of times doesn't kill your battery? Or it shouldn't.

Link to SS interview again to try and stay within TOS. (sorry!)

I guess we don’t know if her phone was ever fully charged; She could’ve been going back to charge it to get enough power to take pics/text/use apps? Also it depends how old her phone was - my iphone is several years old now and it doesn’t hold much of a charge like it used to - I’m always having to recharge it.
Just throwing those ideas out there but I agree with you - it’s odd to supposedly have a phone charger but for your phone to still end up dead.

MOO

Doug answering questions

It begins at 26:39 to approximately 32:00. There are more Q&A's which you can listen to. Very elucidating. Thank you for snipping his part of this incredibly long interview. There is no transcript option available.
In this interview Doug says he cannot confirm if Kiely was wearing clothes or shoes. But I thought Nick the diver said he saw shoes when he was looking inside the car - I thought that was the first thing he saw in reference to finding Kiely? Maybe Doug is just being extra cautious but I’m almost certain we have confirmation of shoes.

MOO

I just checked out Thread #7, posted September 2, post #592.
https:// www.websleuths.com/forums/threads/ca-kiely-rodni-missing-from-party-near-prosser-family-campground-in-truckee-7.634534/page-30
That was the 1st "public" AWP video
@TKG was referring to a new recent video
Doug Answering Questions
TKG said, "It begins at 26:39 to approximately 32:00."

As TKG said, it is a long video.
I listened for a while - someone asked Doug of AWP if the Roadside asst Nick 's
story regarding the car license plate # was confirmed and
Doug said, "it was all confirmed". It had been confirmed within "hours".
Then he was asked about Saturday and he agreed that it was on Saturday.
But then he was vague about details and said he couldn't answer any more about it.
Soon someone asked if the girl Nick saw was actually K .
Doug didn't answer that directly.
Doug said that the odd behavior of the girl and guy not standing near each other
(e.g. if he came near her, she would go to other side of car ),
and her questions about a seat belt
may have been a tactic to prevent Nick from walking toward the rear of the
car and looking in and from seeing what was in the back
It seemed to me that he gave a blanket confirmation of Nick's (roadside asst)
story but I would feel more confident if he just verbalized that yes it was
her license plate and more details.
To piggy back on MacBridey's comments from the video:

Doug indicated AWP was asked by LE to leave perimeter after they discovered the vehicle. AWP was not asked/consulted to recover/catalog/extract the vehicle. Doug stated if they had done this, vehicle would have been recovered differently. They would have elected to slowly and methodically catalog/remove evidence that could be seen and obtained thru windows; then, seal/cover windows, and retrieve vehicle without turning it over. Would have preferred to have been the ones to retrieve the vehicle since this is what they do. But, viewing as a spectator, from what AWP could see, it looked like LE did the best they could. Doesn’t know what LE’s investigation looked like while cataloging things under water.

There was no non-disclosure agreement between LE and AWP. Doug said "what happens in the dark will be brought to light."

Roadside Nick – everything about his story was verified with AWP. He became a part of the story because of his credibility. Roadside Nick’s interaction with AWP "unfolded organically." LE has all information they need and are doing a really thorough investigation. Doug commented on the interactions Roadside Nick observed between the two people, one always on each side of the vehicle - were they trying to stop somebody from going to the back of the vehicle? Doug can’t answer (due to active investigation) if Roadside Nick has been able to positively identify the people in the vehicle. Who called for the car assistance? Doug cannot release that information; LE has all that information and they’re working it really, really hard. Sometimes these investigations go very slow. Stated again it’s a good thing LE not releasing any information. Doug confirmed Roadside Nick saw male/female/CR-V on Saturday. It is Doug's understanding the CR-V was confirmed to be Kiely’s vehicle.

Doug still stands with foul play – when things don’t add up, they don’t add up. LE playing it really tight to the vest.

RE: why Dad seemed suspicious about Kiely not being in the driver’s seat – Doug said there is a lot that had to be cut out of the footage released because of the nature of what was said. Doug did say Kiely's Dad and Grandpa will not give up; they want answers. AWP will not be putting out additional episodes unless/until LE puts out updates. Anything else AWP has and could show currently compromises investigation. No direct interaction with Kiely’s mom; she was heavily protected.

Cannot answer if there was anything about Kiely's physical appearance/position that looked suspicious (active investigation). Cannot answer if Kiely had shoes or clothes on. He wants to answer but said he has to protect the investigation.

Upwards of 400 kids over the course of the night at the party. Only video/photos available would come from these kids. Parents/Guardians didn’t want their kids involved.

Doug confirmed it was likely vehicle was under water most of the time. He said to also remember there was a 24-32 hour time frame before things got really heavy and to remember there were several sightings to investigate.

Doug did not notice the strap hanging out of trunk until he saw it from on line discussions. Doug felt it was alarming, what does it mean? It looks like the end of a seatbelt to him.

Wheels can be turned under water – can change when vehicle hits water or when it was rolled over. Doug believes, in his initial opinion, the gear was in neutral. In his experience as a tow truck driver, AWD vehicles do not necessarily roll freely when pulling backwards. However, he understands experts indicate otherwise. Doug believes vehicle went in forward and rolled over sideways. Cannot answer if keys were in ignition (active investigation). If able to turn steering wheel, ignition was either on or in accessory mode. Does not believe airbags deployed.

Doug said everything, every step of the way is suspicious in Kiely’s case. Things were overwhelming.

Doug indicated AWP was asked by LE to leave perimeter after they discovered the vehicle. AWP was not asked/consulted to recover/catalog/extract the vehicle. Doug stated if they had done this, vehicle would have been recovered differently. They would have elected to slowly and methodically catalog/remove evidence that could be seen and obtained thru windows; then, seal/cover windows, and retrieve vehicle without turning it over. Would have preferred to have been the ones to retrieve the vehicle since this is what they do. But, viewing as a spectator, from what AWP could see, it looked like LE did the best they could. Doesn’t know what LE’s investigation looked like while cataloging things under water.

There was no non-disclosure agreement between LE and AWP. Doug said "what happens in the dark will be brought to light."

Roadside Nick – everything about his story was verified with AWP. He became a part of the story because of his credibility. Roadside Nick’s interaction with AWP "unfolded organically." LE has all information they need and are doing a really thorough investigation. Doug commented on the interactions Roadside Nick observed between the two people, one always on each side of the vehicle - were they trying to stop somebody from going to the back of the vehicle? Doug can’t answer (due to active investigation) if Roadside Nick has been able to positively identify the people in the vehicle. Who called for the car assistance? Doug cannot release that information; LE has all that information and they’re working it really, really hard. Sometimes these investigations go very slow. Stated again it’s a good thing LE not releasing any information. Doug confirmed Roadside Nick saw male/female/CR-V on Saturday. It is Doug's understanding the CR-V was confirmed to be Kiely’s vehicle.

Doug still stands with foul play – when things don’t add up, they don’t add up. LE playing it really tight to the vest.

RE: why Dad seemed suspicious about Kiely not being in the driver’s seat – Doug said there is a lot that had to be cut out of the footage released because of the nature of what was said. Doug did say Kiely's Dad and Grandpa will not give up; they want answers. AWP will not be putting out additional episodes unless/until LE puts out updates. Anything else AWP has and could show currently compromises investigation. No direct interaction with Kiely’s mom; she was heavily protected.

Cannot answer if there was anything about Kiely's physical appearance/position that looked suspicious (active investigation). Cannot answer if Kiely had shoes or clothes on. He wants to answer but said he has to protect the investigation.

Upwards of 400 kids over the course of the night at the party. Only video/photos available would come from these kids. Parents/Guardians didn’t want their kids involved.

Doug confirmed it was likely vehicle was under water most of the time. He said to also remember there was a 24-32 hour time frame before things got really heavy and to remember there were several sightings to investigate.

Doug did not notice the strap hanging out of trunk until he saw it from on line discussions. Doug felt it was alarming, what does it mean? It looks like the end of a seatbelt to him.

Wheels can be turned under water – can change when vehicle hits water or when it was rolled over. Doug believes, in his initial opinion, the gear was in neutral. In his experience as a tow truck driver, AWD vehicles do not necessarily roll freely when pulling backwards. However, he understands experts indicate otherwise. Doug believes vehicle went in forward and rolled over sideways. Cannot answer if keys were in ignition (active investigation). If able to turn steering wheel, ignition was either on or in accessory mode. Does not believe airbags deployed.

Doug said everything, every step of the way is suspicious in Kiely’s case. Things were overwhelming.
BBM
What does that mean?

In this interview Doug says he cannot confirm if Kiely was wearing clothes or shoes. But I thought Nick the diver said he saw shoes when he was looking inside the car - I thought that was the first thing he saw in reference to finding Kiely? Maybe Doug is just being extra cautious but I’m almost certain we have confirmation of shoes.

MOO
In the video where Nick from AWP is interviewed by Duty Ron & Former Chief of Staff NY ME Barbara, he states that he recognized Kiely’s body mainly by the skin of the lower half (I.e her legs)…paraphrased..but you can watch on your own starts around 30 minute mark. Linked below. He doesn’t specify if the shoes are on or off. Also slightly confusing given the last sighting of her she was wearing green dickies pants if I remember correctly? Nick doesn’t state if he saw those pants on her or not.

...Doug said everything, every step of the way is suspicious in Kiely’s case. Things were overwhelming.
RSBM
Thank you @Zoe and @MacBridey! I am not usually a 'reactive' poster here on WS, but right now I have to react to what I just read. This is truly amazing content that solidifies so many things in my mind and really makes me sad for the family.

In the video where Nick from AWP is interviewed by Duty Ron & Former Chief of Staff NY ME Barbara, he states that he recognized Kiely’s body mainly by the skin of the lower half (I.e her legs)…paraphrased..but you can watch on your own starts around 30 minute mark. Linked below. He doesn’t specify if the shoes are on or off. Also slightly confusing given the last sighting of her she was wearing green dickies pants if I remember correctly? Nick doesn’t state if he saw those pants on her or not.

Thanks! I’ll watch that video. I was just going by AWP’s official video about how they found Kiely - I just watched it again and while Nick is assessing the car underwater, he confirms that he sees shoes. But as you just brought up, I guess we don’t know if those were just shoes he saw in the car or if those shoes were on Kiely’s feet.
EBM: I took out my comment on her pants.

MOO

Last edited:
BBM
What does that mean?
I think the interviews with AWP are going to stop now. At least until LE releases more information on the investigation.

IMO, the questions being posed to them in these interviews are getting bolder and are treading on thin ice in terms of interfering with the investigation. They have said all they should say at this point, MOO.

in this video, nick certainly states that he saw kiely's shoes. LE didn't release all the footage and descriptions of kiely on the night of the party and so kept them strictly to themselves but when AWP got involved, maybe they transferred information to them including details of the shoes and so he identified it was kiely.

because confirming someone's identity just be seeing their legs is NOT AT ALL CREDIBLE.

I did some digging on the Nevada County Daily reporting log and found some interesting things.

View attachment 365408
The day after she was found, someone called the police to follow up on a tip about their boyfriend. They had already suspected him, but I guess after her body was found they felt he was behaving even more suspiciously.
RSBM
Again, thank you, @airyberry. I am particularly focused on this one log item from 8/23. That is the day not when KR was found; 8/23 was the day when KR's identity was confirmed by LE / Medical Examiner. Looks like this went to Detective Sonner. Do we know if Detective Sonnier is on the KR case (or this could relate to different cases of course?).

To blow up what is so hard to read in that top line - this is what caught my attention:

8/23/2022, 4:37PM
RP RPTG HER EX BOYFRIEND HAS BEEN ACTING VERY STRANGE AND IS POSS INVOLVED IN HOMICIDES, RP STATING THEY LIVE IN RENO BUT LOCAL JURISDICTION IS NOT LISTENING TO HER. 1 LOCATION THE RP HAS IS POSSIBLY IN BEAT 1 OR PLACER. RP ADVISED SHE WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK TO A DETECTIVE REGARDING THE REPORTED ISSUES CBC.

I believe Doug said we had only seen a small portion of the interview with roadside assistance Nick & if LE confirms anything from Nick, AWP would release more footage of the interview (I’m assuming Nick had a lot more to say & Doug seems to believe he is legit)

MOO
the roadside nick, according to interviews done by doug, he tells us that he feels that the tow-truck driver's story is credible. also maybe if LE does make some substantial progress in this case where the story from roadside nick alings with any theory they deem as worthy, AWP certainly will release info.

Didn't LE debunk a couple of tips early on before her car was found? They have been really quiet since the release of the AWP video. I would think, by now with rumors swirling, they would have released a statement about the sighting by Nick the roadside assistant and that it was cleared if it wasn't true. In all this craziness, Doug is the only person I feel I can trust to be honest.

Even if it was a tragic accident, which I'm not convinced of, there's adults who supplied these kids with alcohol & drugs. If those substances were a factor in her death, then those people should be held accountable.

I guess we don’t know if her phone was ever fully charged; She could’ve been going back to charge it to get enough power to take pics/text/use apps? Also it depends how old her phone was - my iphone is several years old now and it doesn’t hold much of a charge like it used to - I’m always having to recharge it.
Just throwing those ideas out there but I agree with you - it’s odd to supposedly have a phone charger but for your phone to still end up dead.

MOO

Some people hate leaving their car idling longer than necessary—I’ve never heard for certain, but there’s a solid chance that the car wouldn’t charge her phone unless the motor was running. So, that would be another reason to only partially charge it.

As you said—the age of the phone is definitely an issue. I’d add that the age/condition of the charger is also an issue. An off-brand or damaged charger could do intermittent unreliable charging.

MOO

Last edited:
RIP Kiely.

Today the family is having Kiely’s memorial service. May the time they spend together remembering their daughter bring them comfort and peace.

As ever, I’m hoping truth, and justice if necessary, prevail.

Godspeed.

It's sad to see the photo of her muddy laptop and the list of items that were recovered from the reservoir, but am glad that they have been returned to her family and LE. Having your loved ones personal things at a time like this is very meaningful, IMO.

Did Kiely have tattoos on her legs/ankles?
I only saw mention of a "17" on her ribs when I Goog'ed for it. I've seen no mention of any on her legs, although I didn't spend a whole bunch of time on this. I figured if they were going to mention the 17 in articles, they'd mention other tatts as well if there were any. MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tammyb1025