Still Missing CA - Kristin Smart, 19, San Luis Obispo, 25 May 1996 *arrests* #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The more I think about this case, the more sickened I get. PF was entrusted to take KS home safely after that college party; she was obviously extremely intoxicated & had passed out at one point. But, instead of looking out for her & making sure she got home safe, he waited until everyone else had left & assaulted her...then killed her when she didn't do what he wanted. Unconscionable. What a scum-bag.

Up & Adam in The Morning
here is the whole interview with Chris Lambert regarding Kristin's case this morning.

Heard this whole interview. Excellent. What's more interesting than what was said is what wasn't said. Fascinating.

This probably isn't news to everyone here, but this interested me: As an '80's kid who also came of age in the '90's to a great extent, I'm a huge fan of music from this era. So, I was interested when CL mentioned (in this interview) the mix-tape that KS had made for her friend/dorm neighbor right before she disappeared. CL tracked down the friend, who gave him a list of the songs on the tape - which he then posted to his site. KS had great taste, and seeing this list was very nostalgic/poignant. I've heard most (but not all) of the songs on the tape, and at some point plan on listening all of them back to back:

MIX TAPE — YOUR OWN BACKYARD

Last edited:
i am convinced this was used to transport her. why have they kept it all these years?
People do strange things sometimes with vehicles involved in crimes. In 1996, there was an incident where I live where someone i knew was hit and killed after a bunch of teenage BS. It was reported in all the papers that he was ejected from his car after a car crash but other people involved had a different story. The guy who supposedly hit him kept the car and repaired it before the truth came out. Sometimes people just don't want to get rid of things

Document: Kristin Smart once buried in suspect's backyard

Reading this article, something stuck out to me in regards to what one of the defense attorneys had to say about why the yard had been previously dug up. He said a trench had been dug to place soil that had been removed to lay a nearby foundation.

No one is going to use a backhoe to dig a trench to backfill it with material from another area. It's a waste of time and fuel because where are you going to put the soil you removed? It would be easier and more cost effective to take the soil removed for the foundation and dispose of it elsewhere regardless of the amount that was removed.

I used to do sewer and water lines for housing tracts and we always had soil we had to lose. We didn't dig more trenches to lose the extra material, we spread it out and let the crews doing the paving get rid of it.

BBM
Reading this article, something stuck out to me in regards to what one of the defense attorneys had to say about why the yard had been previously dug up. He said a trench had been dug to place soil that had been removed to lay a nearby foundation.

No one is going to use a backhoe to dig a trench to backfill it with material from another area. It's a waste of time and fuel because where are you going to put the soil you removed? It would be easier and more cost effective to take the soil removed for the foundation and dispose of it elsewhere regardless of the amount that was removed.

I used to do sewer and water lines for housing tracts and we always had soil we had to lose. We didn't dig more trenches to lose the extra material, we spread it out and let the crews doing the paving get rid of it.
Haha. Good point.
Mesick says there are “many innocent explanations” for why Rueben was digging in his yard and then neglects to state a reasonable one.
This reminds me of my friend, a well regarded MD, who offered my child peanuts before she had teeth.
That’s when I realized one can be brilliant in a profession that requires years of education and focus but still lack common sense.

Kristin went missing while I was working on my undergrad degree. Listening to her mixed tape brought back a flood of memories for me. If she was alive today I try to imagine the endless possibilities she would have contributed to the world.

For Kristin’s parents...my God, the grace they have shown. I would have been camped out in front his (parents) house 24/7 yelling through a loud speaker until the police removed me if it was my daughter. For Denise to write Susan and beg for her help in finding Kristin only to be rebuffed with “look at the pictures yourself”. My blood would be boiling.

I hope like hell they are able to find her.

Today we find out that she was buried in their yard but exhumed!

I’m praying for them....

Documents: Kristin Smart's body once buried in California suspect's backyard
an article with details

Also, today is the hearing for Ruben's bail at 1:30pm. Will be posting tweets

I like the part that says LE feels they know where her body is located. I thought they probably did. It’s just a matter of time I think.
And what’s up with the defense attorney? He doesn’t think LE should continue to investigate now that there’s been an arrest? Doesn’t that happen in, like...every case? Must be prepping for that appeal on incompetent representation grounds.

Another thought on this terrible case:

It appears evident that the recent arrests of PF & RF were due to the authorities finding some kind of evidence re: KS on the F. property/properties. Because of this, I fully believe that if PF/RF had taken KS's body somewhere else from the beginning (i.e., never taken it home at all) & either buried it or thrown it into the ocean, etc. - they may never have had enough evidence against them to be arrested 25 years later. Yes, if KS's body had been found years ago evidence could possibly have led the authorities to PF much sooner. But, if evidence of the body had never been on the F.'s property & also never been found anywhere else, it's possible there would still be no arrests.

We've all heard of cases where no trace of the body has ever been found & no one is ever charged. One of the most well-known examples is the Natalee Holloway disappearance from 2005, and that's just one case.

Olivia DeGennaro [URL='https://twitter.com/OliviaDeGennaro']@OliviaDeGennaro [/URL]1h
Ruben Flores, the father of the man accused of killing Kristin Smart, is scheduled to appear in court for a bail hearing any moment. He faces a charge of accessory after the fact & is currently being held on $250,000 bail. That amount could be lowered today. Updates to follow...

Olivia DeGennaro @OliviaDeGennaro 17m
Replying to @OliviaDeGennaro
"Based on the documents that have been filed, I am going to set bail at $50,000" Judge says he has reviewed Ruben Flores' financial assets and believes he can afford that bail amount.

Olivia DeGennaro @OliviaDeGennaro 16m

The judge says Mr. Flores is ordered to obey all laws.
He cannot leave San Luis Obispo county.
He will be subject to electronic monitoring.
He must surrender his passport.

I like the part that says LE feels they know where her body is located. I thought they probably did. It’s just a matter of time I think.
And what’s up with the defense attorney? He doesn’t think LE should continue to investigate now that there’s been an arrest? Doesn’t that happen in, like...every case? Must be prepping for that appeal on incompetent representation grounds.

My assumption here is that he is trying to say that if they had enough evidence they wouldn’t continue to look for more. However, I agree, this comes off completely inappropriate, as of now that there is an arrest, finding Kristin wouldn’t matter. I hope for his sake, and more for the Smarts and the things they are already subject to hearing, that someone pulls him aside and clues him in on how this wording comes off. IMO this sort of statement appears as if it came from the Flores family themselves.

Olivia DeGennaro @OliviaDeGennaro 1h
Ruben Flores, the father of the man accused of killing Kristin Smart, is scheduled to appear in court for a bail hearing any moment. He faces a charge of accessory after the fact & is currently being held on $250,000 bail. That amount could be lowered today. Updates to follow...

Olivia DeGennaro @OliviaDeGennaro 17m
Replying to @OliviaDeGennaro
"Based on the documents that have been filed, I am going to set bail at $50,000" Judge says he has reviewed Ruben Flores' financial assets and believes he can afford that bail amount.

Olivia DeGennaro @OliviaDeGennaro 16m

The judge says Mr. Flores is ordered to obey all laws.
He cannot leave San Luis Obispo county.
He will be subject to electronic monitoring.
He must surrender his passport.
So... was he bailed out?

Does this crime have anything to do with why SF and RF are separated/divorced, or at least living separately?

*sorry if already asked.....
I’m not privy to the answer to that question but it’s something I’ve been curious about every time I read MSM mentioning their decades of separate living arrangements and her live in boyfriend. They are not divorced but I think her inheritance gets smaller everyday due to lawyers fees.
The marital /spousal privilege in California is the evidence rule that (1) you have the right not to testify against your husband or wife in a criminal jury trial when he or she are charged with a crime
(2) you have the right not to disclose any confidential communications between you and your spouse. This includes the right to prevent your spouse from disclosing any such confidential communications.
The Marital (Spousal) Privilege (Calif Evidence Code 970 & 971)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member