CA CA - Kristin Smart, 19, San Luis Obispo, 25 May 1996

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought Paul Flores died in 2002? How can they charge a dead man

According to recent news stories, he is alive and living in SoCal.
Yes, he is still alive. There have been fairly recent photos and videos of him posted online. Maybe you're getting this case confused with a different one.

I’m really interested in finding a connection between the Flores family and law enforcement to support the theory that they had “pull” in the case and that’s why it wasn’t investigated fully at the time.
Snipped.
I'm with you.
I'd like to know the name of the detective who picked up the blood-stained earring.
I wouldn't be surprised if he threw the real one away and substituted one that he picked up at a five-and-dime.

What could be the unexpected ....
1.) That she was alive or alive for a period time after her disappearance held captive or human trafficking
2.) A connection between Kristin and Scott Peterson was found valid.

If it was Paul he is either already in custody as that LE would not make such an announcement fearing he would run.

Hopefully will hear soon enough!

"Something you don't expect" and "have a family spokesperson."

To me, that sounds like the FBI expects it to be nationwide news. Since the family has been expecting it to be Paul all this time, him finally being arrested would be good news, not the unexpected.

I'm thinking it's going to be something totally out of left field.

I just hope it provides closure to the family.

"Something you don't expect" and "have a family spokesperson."

To me, that sounds like the FBI expects it to be nationwide news. Since the family has been expecting it to be Paul all this time, him finally being arrested would be good news, not the unexpected.

I'm thinking it's going to be something totally out of left field.

I just hope it provides closure to the family.
BBM
His arrest without Kristin's body having been found would be unexpected.

What could be the unexpected ....
1.) That she was alive or alive for a period time after her disappearance held captive or human trafficking
2.) A connection between Kristin and Scott Peterson was found valid.

If it was Paul he is either already in custody as that LE would not make such an announcement fearing he would run.

Hopefully will hear soon enough!

BBM-Wouldn't that be unexpected ...

Can any clues be gleaned from this 2018 report, what was Kristan's good news, did it require travel?
KRISTIN SMART STORY – The California Register
By David Smallwood
Updated: July 25, 2018

Kristin Smart
“Good news, good news! I’ll call on Sunday” was the voice message left by Kristin Smart on the family’s answering machine Friday, May 24, 1996. Kristin did not call Sunday, and would never call again.''
''Logic supports the theory that Kristin Smart died on campus in the early morning hours of May 25, 1996. Her death may have been caused, or it may have been a tragic accident. There are different kinds of accidents, however. Some accidents are innocent and unforeseen. Some accidents happen because of carelessness. Some accidents happen due to simple, gross, or wanton negligence.

While conventional wisdom supports the theory that Kristin Smart died in the early morning hours of May 25, 1996, the exact details remain a mystery to this day. It’s logical to believe that something wrong happened that night, so wrong that one or more individuals felt it necessary to remove and discard Kristin’s body. The body may have been removed to hide damning evidence. Invaluable bodily evidence could have been discovered, such as: trauma to the body indicative of a fight, DNA left in or on the body, or traces of chemicals, such as a date-rape drug.''
Snipped-
For seventeen years, Paul Flores has remained steadfast in his silence, while occasionally attempting to drown a nagging conscience in alcohol. “When the truth of this finally comes out, you are just not going to believe it.” These words were purportedly said to the Smarts’ attorney, by an attorney representing Paul Flores.

It seems many close to the case have been saying "you'll never believe it", or something similar to the FBI statement made to Denise Smart, for years!

Snipped-
For seventeen years, Paul Flores has remained steadfast in his silence, while occasionally attempting to drown a nagging conscience in alcohol. “When the truth of this finally comes out, you are just not going to believe it.” These words were purportedly said to the Smarts’ attorney, by an attorney representing Paul Flores.

It seems many close to the case have been saying "you'll never believe it", or something similar to the FBI statement made to Denise Smart, for years!
I just couldn’t imagine what PFs attorney would know that the smarts wouldn’t believe....it would have to be a situation where PF is still responsible or else they would’ve told the story to prove his innocence. The unbelievable would be PF and someone else worked together...or she inflicted self harm and PF was to scared to call the police and disposed of the body instead....there’s just so much I’ve never opened myself up to thinking bc it seems so black and white with PF

I just couldn’t imagine what PFs attorney would know that the smarts wouldn’t believe....it would have to be a situation where PF is still responsible or else they would’ve told the story to prove his innocence. The unbelievable would be PF and someone else worked together...or she inflicted self harm and PF was to scared to call the police and disposed of the body instead....there’s just so much I’ve never opened myself up to thinking bc it seems so black and white with PF
PF's attorney may believe PF's *advertiser censored*-and-bull story--whatever it is--but that doesn't mean that any of us should believe it.

This is unusual of the FBI. So unusual I have to wonder if this is a media tactic by the FBI to elicit a panic response from someone under surveillance (ie Paul Flores).

FBI may have given this unusual information to Kristin's family with the plan that they leak it to the media. I cannot imagine the FBI would tell the family something this important without telling them not to speak to the media...unless they wanted them to speak to the media.

JAN 20, 2020
Former FBI agent weighs in on potential new developments in Kristin Smart case
[...]

A retired FBI Agent with the Los Angeles office weighed in on the notification and what it could mean for investigators and the family.

[...]

"It sounds like something extremely significant has happened or has been discovered which would lead me to believe that they are right there on the edge of some kind of resolution," said Tom Parker, a retired FBI Special Agent in Charge of the Los Angeles office.

[...]

"It is a little unusual and in most cases involving killing or even homicide case, that contact with the family is really important," said Parker. "The FBI or the local agency really needs to maintain a a close relationship with the family and keep them advised as much as possible."

In this case, the San Luis Obispo County Sheriff's Office is the lead investigating agency, but Parker said it's common for the FBI to help given the circumstances of Kristin's disappearance.

A working FBI representative said any new announcements would come from the SLO County Sheriff's Office.

[...]

Another candlelight vigil is being held to rally for Kristin and her family February 1st, at 5 p.m. at Santa Rosa Park in San Luis Obispo.

Family: FBI hints at possible development in Kristin Smart’s disappearance
The family spokesperson said the sheriff's office received several tips in Kristin Smart’s disappearance after a recently released podcast.

This is unusual of the FBI. So unusual I have to wonder if this is a media tactic by the FBI to elicit a panic response from someone under surveillance (ie Paul Flores).

FBI may have given this unusual information to Kristin's family with the plan that they leak it to the media. I cannot imagine the FBI would tell the family something this important without telling them not to speak to the media...unless they wanted them to speak to the media.

It really does smell like a BAU tactic, but still I think they are on the verge of something.

Is anyone perplexed that the call wasn't made by the LIA in the investigation? SLO County Sheriff's Department was a no comment on Monday, that made the FBI's statement seem even stranger, IMO.

It really does smell like a BAU tactic, but still I think they are on the verge of something.

Is anyone perplexed that the call wasn't made by the LIA in the investigation? SLO County Sheriff's Department was a no comment on Monday, that made the FBI's statement seem even stranger, IMO.
Exactly! Unless the family went rogue and did not heed the advice of the FBI to not speak with media which I highly doubt after 20+ years. I could see them not trusting their local PD but the FBI isn't local.

EDIT: Reasons for not trusting local PD (just to name a few): For anyone wondering the local PD lost crucial piece of evidence, like an earring which apparently matched jewelry which KS was known to wear, which according to the person who found it, it had red smudges on it, which appeared to be blood. Also the local PD are known to arrive at the Flores' family homes at their every beckon call, when someone is simply standing on public property outside their homes. One podcaster said it seemed like the local PD were their personal secret service. Lastly, a botched search warrant of the property when an important area of interest under cement was either not sonogrammed at all or not well enough. Also, don't quote me, but I don't think they dug anything at all. This is important because fresh cement was laid right after the disappearance at the Flores' home. Also, Paul Flores told police during an interview after the disappearance that he needed to leave right away to clean up cement. He mentioned that with a visible black eye--which he lied about receiving. So I can imagine why the family could be cautious with local PD.

Last edited:
Her body was apparently buried in Paul Flores's parents' back yard at some point but later dug up and moved. You'll have to read the thread from the beginning to find the details.

It boggles my mind that Flores hasn't been charged, but I guess prosecutors don't think they have enough to prove murder. Some tapioca-pudding-brained jurors might think that Kristin died of alcohol poisoning and that Flores panicked and got rid of the body.
Oh no. I forgot about the info concerning Paul's parents' backyard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mary0309