Identified! CA - L.A. Griffith Park, WhtFem 725UFCA, 20-28, @Picnic Table, Jun'68 Cheryl McMillan

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Why would they not disclose it? I think it's kind of important.

If it was a homicide, then they would not want cause of death public in case they needed to verify the truthfulness of a hypothetical confession.

If this was an O.D., then its probably standard practice to withhold COD out of sensitivity to the family. But this is 45 years later, and there is still no known family.

LA County is always very sparse on details in their UID cases anyway. Unless it's an auto accident, or something dramatic (such as jumping off a building or freeway overpass), they don't usually disclose COD.

If it was a homicide, then they would not want cause of death public in case they needed to verify the truthfulness of a hypothetical confession.

If this was an O.D., then its probably standard practice to withhold COD out of sensitivity to the family. But this is 45 years later, and there is still no known family.

LA County is always very sparse on details in their UID cases anyway. Unless it's an auto accident, or something dramatic (such as jumping off a building or freeway overpass), they don't usually disclose COD.

I am very interested in this case. It seems to me that we could ask for the case files as part of the FOIA? Although I could be mistaken? Im sure it would be redacted but we may get more info than we had?

Did anything more ever come up with the coroner?

This is what I envision her bathing suit looking like. Except for the polka dots. It doesnt say the pattern or design in NamUs, just red and white. And it doesnt say WHITE overcoat, it says light tan overcoat???

Also here is an updated pic (as the one upthread no longer works) of the hotel.

(snipped)
And it doesnt say WHITE overcoat, it says light tan overcoat???

Many police reports don't allow for precise color descriptions. They'll have checkboxes for a standard set of options. For instance, MA car registration and BOLO descriptions only have six colors: brown, black, green, white, blue, red. So gold gets shoehorned into brown and our silver-gray Camry is considered "white." It wouldn't surprise me if the original report had something similar so that anything light-colored was written down or marked as "white."

What about Audrey Jean Good Backeberg? There's a lot against it in things you'd think would have to match... 3 inches height difference, she'd had two kids and she had a crippled finger... but the face looks similar and the hair falls into waves somewhat the same, and worse discrepencies have been known in cases that have ended up matching. She married young and I think her husband was young too, possibly not a lot of money to go around, the ring could have been from someone in his family, a widowed or divorced uncle maybe? If the girl she travelled with for a while is to be believed, she was getting well away from her husband and never going back.

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/163dfwi.html

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/b/backeberg_audrey.html

I just keep going back to the ring she had on. Maybe it was something she found or has no meaning to her personally but why else wear it? Im searching marriage records.

So I have gotten in touch with the coroner who has the actual autopsy report. He said he can get the whole report to me within a few weeks, maybe less. But depending on which type of autopsy was done it will either cost $78 or $162. This is obviously not something I can pay for alone. Does anyone want to discuss going in together on this price and I can scan the pages in and email them to everyone so we all have a copy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I have gotten in touch with the coroner who has the actual autopsy report. He said he can get the whole report to me within a few weeks, maybe less. But depending on which type of autopsy was done it will either cost $78 or $162. This is obviously not something I can pay for alone. Does anyone want to discuss going in together on this price and I can scan the pages in and email them to everyone so we all have a copy?

Why would it cost so much?

The autopsy report would just be papers, right? I mean sure they might have a recording, but unless they have to buy the copy machine themselves I don't understand how it's in the triple digits.

Why would it cost so much?

The autopsy report would just be papers, right? I mean sure they might have a recording, but unless they have to buy the copy machine themselves I don't understand how it's in the triple digits.

It could have x-rays and other hard to reproduce materials. Not saying it does, but that was the first thing that came to mind.

I promise that I'm not being creepy or weird, but I didn't realize that they kept the documents from that far back (there is one case from the 1970s, I think "Bell Boy" that the documents were lost?). What exactly is included? How exactly do you go about obtaining it? Sorry, I don't mean to sound weird, there are a couple of Los Angeles County cases from about that time period that I would possibly be interested in getting the reports (because they are really difficult to find information about even though it seems like it was out there and circulating at one time), but I've had sort of mixed results with the LA County Coroner's office wouldn't have thought to have asked/am not sure what would happen if I did.

It's not weird or creepy! At least to me it's not. Lol my hubs thinks I'm morbid with my obsession over cold cases. Ah well lol. I can get you the email address that I used and you can email him. He is really nice and responded quickly. I'm not sure what all is included. I just know it's the full (possibly partially redacted) autopsy report. It's all public under the FOIA. You just email him and he sends you a formal letter saying how much it costs and you send the money and they dig the report out of the archives. It's usually ten cents per page or something like that so there must be a lot of pages for this particular report.

I'm interested. If we can get a few more together maybe we can make it economical enough for each of us.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

I'm interested. If we can get a few more together maybe we can make it economical enough for each of us.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Yes that's what I was thinking. If enough are interested, we could definitely make this "doable". Hoping for others to join in!!

I did some work on another version, and I threw in a Hollywood hills backdrop.

ce0db322-af63-4c20-9292-cdd17059cb75.jpg

BTW, If we can get enough people to pitch in $10 or so, I'll pitch in for the report.

I'll bet with this report you will be able to make some modifications based on new info from the report to get her hair and other features as close as possible. I love that you made this rendition of her. It's very good!! I hope we can get enough people!!

Has any progress been made in regards to the autopsy report? I just came across this case and noticed the thread hasn't seen any activity in over a year.

I don't think we had enough people respond to chipping in to buy the autopsy report to go forward with it...

It's not one of the cases I usually follow. I hadn't seen the request or the new recon (very nice as always, Carl :) )

I was contacted a couple of weeks ago by a woman whose cousin Emily Roberta Jordan went missing from Chicago in 1963, when she was 21 years old.

5b0244d0-3585-4bac-bc40-8868b387fc4c.jpg
535c163a-080c-481d-8872-035f13638c87.jpg

Her family learned that she married in California in 1966 and then vanished once again.

Today, we were looking at various Jane Doe's from the late 1960's, including Griffith Park Jane Doe. It occurred to us that aside from the hair color (GPJD's hair was bleached) Emily very strongly resembles GPJD. Especially compared to the postmortem photo (which is now in her NamUs casefile) https://identifyus.org/en/cases/10960

Her chin is spot-on.
Her nose is spot-on.
Her glabella (i.e., the structure between the eyebrows), is spot-on.
Her eyebrows are even very close.

And get this: As you may recall, GPJD was wearing a ring with the following inscription:

"C.B. to E.J. 9/4/20 18K"

Does E.J. stand for Emily Jordan????

If so, then what does the 4-Sep-1920 date represent? She is too young for it to be any event in her life. She was born in 1942.

If it was a family heirloom, it wouldn't be from her parents or grandparents. Her parents were Robert M.S. Jordan and Madelyn Moews, and her paternal grandparents were Floyd F Jordan and Marguerite Coulter, and her maternal grandparents were John Jacob Moews, and Emma M. Auth.

I was contacted a couple of weeks ago by a woman whose cousin Emily Roberta Jordan went missing from Chicago in 1963, when she was 21 years old.

5b0244d0-3585-4bac-bc40-8868b387fc4c.jpg

Her family learned that she married in California in 1966 and then vanished once again.

Today, we were looking at various Jane Doe's from the late 1960's, including Griffith Park Jane Doe. It occurred to us that aside from the hair color (GPJD's hair was bleached) Emily very strongly resembles GPJD. Especially compared to the postmortem photo (which is now in her NamUs casefile) https://identifyus.org/en/cases/10960

Her chin is spot-on.
Her nose is spot-on.
Her glabella (i.e., the structure between the eyebrows), is spot-on.
Her eyebrows are even very close.

And get this: As you may recall, GPJD was wearing a ring with the following inscription:

"C.B. to E.J. 9/4/20 18K"

Does E.J. stand for Emily Jordan????

If so, then what does the 4-Sep-1920 date represent? She is too young for it to be any event in her life. She was born in 1942.

If it was a family heirloom, it wouldn't be from her parents or grandparents. Her parents were Robert M.S. Jordan and Madelyn Moews, and her paternal grandparents were Floyd F Jordan and Marguerite Coulter, and her maternal grandparents were John Jacob Moews, and Emma M. Auth.

If I may chime in on two things:
1. The lips also look alike.
2. The ring may not be a heirloom. She may have just bought it from a pawnshop because she liked it and it had her initials or it could have been a gift from her husband. I would be interested to know what the initials of her husband was.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tammyb1025
Back