GUILTY CA - Lawrence 'Larry' King, 15, fatally shot at Oxnard school, 12 Feb 2008

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
trial set to begin tomorrow, Brandon rejected a plea deal

Oxnard fatal student shooting trial under way

CHATSWORTH, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Prosecutors began unfolding their case Tuesday against Oxnard teen Brandon McInerney, accused of gunning down a gay classmate.

During the prosecution's opening remarks, McInerney's mother broke down in tears as the court read aloud the charges facing her son, which includes first-degree murder

<<<<<<<<<full article and video at link>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=news/local/ventura_county&id=8231923

Prosecutor: Classmate Had Threatened King Days Before Shooting

Prosecutors say Brandon McInerney, then 14, carefully planned and carried out the Feb. 12, 2008 murder of his eighth-grade classmate, Larry King, 15.

During opening statements Tuesday, McInerney's laywer Scott Wipert argued that his client was a troubled boy from a violent home and killed King in the "heat-of-the-moment."

.......................................................................................................................................snip....................................................................

Superior Court Judge Charles Campbell banned McInerney's older brother James Bing, 25, from the trial after harassing jurors outside the courtroom.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<full article at link>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

http://www.ktla.com/search/ktla-brandon-mcinerney-king-trial,0,3348502.story

One year after an unthinkable act of hate in Oxnard, CA, vigils are being organized across the country in memory of Lawrence “Larry” King, calling for an end to violence and harassment directed at lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people in schools.

One Year Later -- Make sure Lawrence is not forgotten

http://www.rememberinglawrence.org/

http://www.rememberlarry.com/

http://www.myspace.com/rememberinglawrence

They have an opportunity here to turn a tragedy into something positive and help educate not just kids but parents, educators, and people in general that everyone is different. Whether it be the colour of ones eyes, hair, height etc.

I found that with my daughter and her full length leg amputation her support team and myself would go into the school prior, first to the classroom then the school in general. What I found moreso was it was not the kids that had the issues as much as the parents. She was fortunate in that we worked very hard to make sure they were educated in the fact that yes she may not run fast or may run different but that she could still run just not for such great lengths

The school was great. They instigated a program where all the students were graded based on themselves individually. They made personal goals and strived to achieve them. It was amazing to watch how excited each and every one of them were when they moved on to the next goal.

I see the defense team is going with the classic, "He came on to my client, so my client had to kill him." This case will be a real test of whether we have made any progress in California.

Wouldn't it be an interesting world if GIRLS were allowed to kill boys who made unwanted advances? Sure would help with that whole teen pregnancy problem.

Thanks for keeping us up to date on this trial, Joe. I only live 300 miles away, but our local paper isn't worth the paper it's printed on.

Interesting site: not afraid to say that a cross-examination on the victim's use of nail polish was exactly what it was: an attempt to blame the victim for being different.

Too bad this had to go to trial this week. I'm not feeling a lot of confidence in the common sense of jurors.

Thanks for keeping us up to date on this trial, Joe. I only live 300 miles away, but our local paper isn't worth the paper it's printed on.

Interesting site: not afraid to say that a cross-examination on the victim's use of nail polish was exactly what it was: an attempt to blame the victim for being different.

the whole defence is to blame the victim, according to defence the wearing of nail polish and heels by the victim was one of the reasons why he was murdered, appearently the defence think the victim is some kind of sexual predator because he may have made it known he was gay and may have expressed an interest in some of the boys at school

I think the victim is amazing, he refused to be bullied anymore, he painted his nails and dressed how he chose knowing the samll minded ignorant homophobes at his school woul only harrass him some more, but he drew a line in the sand and said this is who I am and I am not taking your crap anymore

the defendnat felt so affronted by the victim doing this he felt he had the right to assasinate the victim,

I only hope we have no juror who may fel in some way that being gay is wrong, and that they don't convict him for murder

this should be one of the easiest convictions the state gets, there were witnesses, he shot him twice in front of many witnesses,

the whole defence is to blame the victim, according to defence the wearing of nail polish and heels by the victim was one of the reasons why he was murdered, appearently the defence think the victim is some kind of sexual predator because he may have made it known he was gay and may have expressed an interest in some of the boys at school

I think the victim is amazing, he refused to be bullied anymore, he painted his nails and dressed how he chose knowing the samll minded ignorant homophobes at his school woul only harrass him some more, but he drew a line in the sand and said this is who I am and I am not taking your crap anymore

the defendnat felt so affronted by the victim doing this he felt he had the right to assasinate the victim,

I only hope we have no juror who may fel in some way that being gay is wrong, and that they don't convict him for murder

this should be one of the easiest convictions the state gets, there were witnesses, he shot him twice in front of many witnesses,

And he threatened the victim several days in advance.

But I'm sure you know the history of these types of crimes: jurors decide the killer was so upset by the victim's gayness that he just couldn't help himself.

There have been some exceptions. (That guy who went on Sally Jesse Raphael with his gay friend and then killed him that night comes to mind.)

So my fingers are crossed.

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/state&id=8239714

Keith, who is black, said his friend never showed any sign of racism.

Keith is the friend and classmate that testified. I read the above and ...what?

really Huh :waitasec: what does race have to do with this case and the price of tea in china? I can't see how racism has anything to do with homophobia, except both are a form of hatred and bigotry? JMHO.

(The defendent told this teen that he was bringing a gun to school the next day. Premeditation. I don't see how the defense's theory that the defendent snapped can hold up. JMHO)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Required
Back