Found Deceased CA - Lifei Huang, 22, hiking on Mount Baldy, 4 Feb 2024

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
No comprendé.
Are you referring to my post, and saying ella no comprende, as in, “she doesn’t understand”? LH very obviously doesn’t understand that rain on top of snow in frosty conditions would create ice and a very dangerous situation. It might be impossible to get back to the car.

Or else maybe no comprendí, as in “I didn’t understand”? Same answer…rain on top of snow in frosty conditions would create ice or even a hard layer on top of a soft layer, which would be killer to break trail in.

Last edited:
Sadly, if she is still out there, it will probably be a recovery mission. The searchers don't have to jeopardize their safety to find her, at this point in time.

The real question is, not blaming a victim, but what is social responsibility to rescue someone who appeared to be completely oblivious of the trail, and weather conditions? An adult. Who made some very poor decisions.

Are you referring to my post, and saying ella no comprende, as in, “she doesn’t understand”? IMO not realizing that rain on top of snow in frosty conditions would create ice and a very dangerous situation, while humming, no less, alarms me.

Or else maybe no comprendí, as in “I didn’t understand”? Same answer…rain on top of snow in frosty conditions would create ice or even a hard layer on top of a soft layer, which would be killer to break trail in.

I'm sorry I mean, I just don't understand a person going off alone hiking even it it's something you've done before into the pouring rain knowing...blahblahblah TO BE CLEAR not victim bashing just do not understand unless it's somehow intentional, i just can't even. It has to be so hard to comprehend for family and friends, especially with the documentation involved.

ETA: ADDING it seems more often than EVER...hiking alone, even when the survey says don't.

The snow would have obscured the trail, anyway. And we haven't heard if she was carrying snowshoes.

Sands got completely turned around and went off trail up a canyon, and, though he had a reputation for taking extreme risks (as he did on the day of his last trip, by not wearing crampons, as the sheriff said were required for the conditions; although the sheriff also warned folks not to go out), he was experienced. Yet, still, He was found in an obscure place. IIRC hikers just happened upon him sometime during the summer, so it's not like he was, so to speak, "on the beaten path".
Anyway, IMO the whole Sands episode should have been warning to anyone who thought about going up there in these conditions.
Yeah, I was going to ask, isn't this the same place Julian Sands died because of risk taking and poor conditions? I understand people do these kinds of things because they like adventure, but without caution, it's so easy to become a cautionary tale and never get to do anything, ever again. There's no better way to prove the supremacy of nature than going up a mountain, unprepared, in winter. (Not a mountaineer myself, but my mum is obsessed with it. Our bookshelves are full of accounts by authors like Bonington and Hillary.) It's just too, too sad. I just hope they find this girl sooner than they found Julian.

MOO

Sadly, if she is still out there, it will probably be a recovery mission. The searchers don't have to jeopardize their safety to find her, at this point in time.

The real question is, not blaming a victim, but what is social responsibility to rescue someone who appeared to be completely oblivious of the trail, and weather conditions? An adult. Who made some very poor decisions.
IMO that’s a great question that’s become urgent, because SAR are getting burned out. They also get PTSD from encountering so many extremely broken bodies they can do nothing about. They’re mostly volunteers: they don’t get paid for this, and they have families, work obligations, etc.

This brings up a corollary question. When are we going to stop referring to wilderness casualties as victims? They aren’t: they made decisions that got them there. In the UK, I believe they use the term “the casualty”. IMO this better captures a situation where you tempted fate, and fate happened.

The National Park Service recognizes this SAR burnout problem—and the absurd and avoidable situations people get themselves into—and has been rapidly recruiting volunteers to head this off. They station them at trailheads (e.g. in Grand Canyon) to engage with visitors. They are also on the trails. I’m one of those. However, visitors can get downright nasty even if you ask them if they’re carrying water on a 90 degree day or they look like they’re staggering or out of breath and you suggest they have a sit at the next bench.

FWIW on the topic of wilderness mishaps, I don’t like most vlogs. I think they don’t place enough emphasis on sometimes very poor decision making or risk minimization, which has the effect of romanticizing the event or a story devoid of reality. Their sources are often vanilla, too. It’s very hard to learn from that, and really, you’d not be wanting to repeat some of those mishaps.
The YT vlog I do like is Kyle Hates Hiking. When warranted, he points to poor decision making (sometimes his own). Seriously, all experienced hikers do stupid things; but there are also lessons in that for everyone who goes outdoors. This is how you learn about possible risks, and decisions that worked or totally didn’t.
He also has info from inside the “hiker community”, with a much more realistic assessment of risk than the air-brushed stuff I otherwise see. He manages to do all of this without overly digging in with the blame. Fair balance. FWIW he got the details of the Sands (on Mount Baldy) find from the hikers who found the remains. This was very clearly another case with a casualty but no victim.

I'm sorry I mean, I just don't understand a person going off alone hiking even it it's something you've done before into the pouring rain knowing...blahblahblah TO BE CLEAR not victim bashing just do not understand unless it's somehow intentional, i just can't even. It has to be so hard to comprehend for family and friends, especially with the documentation involved.

ETA: ADDING it seems more often than EVER...hiking alone, even when the survey says don't.
Oh, okay! Yes, I’m totally with you on that.

In these types of cases, we often have casualties, not victims. Any wilderness adventure involves risk. It would be better IMO if people understood this before heading out. Mount Baldy is quite literally not a “walk in the park”.

I don’t like to point to “intentional” unless LE makes a statement to that effect, but we have been getting a lot of folks on trails who consider themselves “experienced”, who’ve had no relevant or comparable experience at all or have never been attuned to risk, don’t research, don’t prepare, etc.

I have done some super stupid things while hiking (e.g. trying to outrun a lightning storm on a Virginia bald; lol I got chafed all over because I decided to remove all my clothes to keep them dry, and had raingear next to bare skin), and I think we can also leave scope for “stupid” in these discussions. But hey, that stupidity was on me. No one forced me up a bald ridge in a lightning storm. And it also wasn’t a suicide mission, though I’m sure it could look that way!

Last edited:
Mount Baldy snow

Friend Cherry Li and cousin Ally Zhang were the last to hear from Huang on Sunday afternoon, according to ABC affiliate KABC-TV.

Another point in my ongoing rant about the dangers of not being frank when an untoward event in the wilderness, often a miscalculation of risk, results in a fatality, and we're magically turning them into "victims".... this has become a breeding ground for conspiracy theories. We have a very unfortunate case right now at Lake Atitlán in Guatemala, where the casualty was someone who drowned after diving off an unmoored kayak in the middle of a deep lake, with cold water, strong currents, and wind picking up. Oh, and a lake goddess with a fondness for not letting people surface. SM invented a "perpetrator" to go along with accident "victim", and a poor witness is being virally hounded to death. Throw in some fundraising developed from the conspiracy theories, and you have a very problematic situation, all imaginary.

So, yes, in my opinion, straightforwardness about the role of a casualty in miscalculating an adventure resulting in a very serious injury or death, is very important. Actually, it could mean life or death for someone else. Hear that Guatemala story, and no one's gonna be diving off a kayak or SUP without a second thought, yes? But if you think she was a victim, you won't get that lesson....

I wonder what her plan was. Most of the trails on Mt. Baldy are 8+ miles long. With sunset around 5:30 at this time of year, in almost any scenario she would have still been on the mountain after dark.

Night hiking in winter during a snowstorm is perilous even for the most experienced.
Just being on Baldy during whiteout conditions is dangerous. You can become disoriented and if the trail is covered by freshly-fallen snow, it's easy to lose the trail (as did the other three people who were rescued).

It also doesn't make sense to start such a hike 2pm. We don't know what her objective was -- maybe she indicated that to her friends. I agree with @ch_13 If it was the Ski Hut, that's 8 miles RT and over 4000 feet of gain. While a very strong trail runner might be able to do that under good conditions in the time before sunset, under rainy, snowy, icy conditions, it would not be realistic.

Even if her objective was to only go a short ways and then return, I don't think it's safe to hike alone on Baldy, especially with a major incoming storm.

Actor Julian Sands perished in Goode Canyon, a rugged and remote canyon to the left of the Ski Hut Trail. I've heard that there are places on the Ski Hut Trail where one can take a wrong turn. I wonder whether that happened, whether she got disoriented due to whiteout conditions, or whether she slipped and fell. The outlook is not good, especially given how much snow has fallen since.

JMO

Just being on Baldy during whiteout conditions is dangerous. You can become disoriented and if the trail is covered by freshly-fallen snow, it's easy to lose the trail (as did the other three people who were rescued).

It also doesn't make sense to start such a hike 2pm. We don't know what her objective was -- maybe she indicated that to her friends. I agree with @ch_13 If it was the Ski Hut, that's 8 miles RT and over 4000 feet of gain. While a very strong trail runner might be able to do that under good conditions in the time before sunset, under rainy, snowy, icy conditions, it would not be realistic.

Even if her objective was to only go a short ways and then return, I don't think it's safe to hike alone on Baldy, especially with a major incoming storm.

Actor Julian Sands perished in Goode Canyon, a rugged and remote canyon to the left of the Ski Hut Trail. I've heard that there are places on the Ski Hut Trail where one can take a wrong turn. I wonder whether that happened, whether she got disoriented due to whiteout conditions, or whether she slipped and fell. The outlook is not good, especially given how much snow has fallen since.

JMO
I was down the hill today and wanted to take a photo of the mountain, however the clouds were so big and fluffy that it was obscured.

Mount Baldy snow

Friend Cherry Li and cousin Ally Zhang were the last to hear from Huang on Sunday afternoon, according to ABC affiliate KABC-TV.
It's interesting that there are reports that her hat and camera bag were found. If the reports are true, I hope that helps narrow down the search area somewhat.

JMO

Last edited:
It's interesting that there are reports that her hat and camera bag were found. If the reports are true, I hope that helps narrow down the search area somewhat.

JMO
I was looking at my All Trails app and found an account for her and I can see her history and there is one other "hike" at Baldy from Oct 4th, but she didn't go far or didn't track herself far.. just less than .6 miles. I was trying to see if she often hiked the area and maybe had a shorter loop she liked to do other than the longer ones listed. I think hiking this late doesn't make sense to hike 8+ miles but I've often hiked a trail I love and only went half way out and then turned back. Maybe she had this same habit or this was maybe her intent that day.. just a few miles vs hiking the entire trail??

Also, I was searching for her on FB and I located a post her sister did on a SoCal Mountaineering group that appears to be a public group. I see several photos she has included that are of Lifei that day and they have a time on them so it seems they have confirmed she was there and exactly where those photos were taken.

IF they found her camera bag and hat, then maybe she was only up there taking photos and not actually hiking this entire trail. Maybe this time of the day was a good time to get photos of nature with the sun starting to set?? The photos her sister shared show Lifei in a yellow coat with the hood up and large full face type goggles. I would say it looks like she was prepared for the weather. I can't see if she has a hat under the coat hood, but there definitely could be one there. I do not know if we can link this group or the sisters posts so I won't do that for now, but if it's okay I can. So Cal Mountaineering is the group and on FB I just searched for Lifei Huang and it was the first thing to pop up.

I was looking at my All Trails app and found an account for her and I can see her history and there is one other "hike" at Baldy from Oct 4th, but she didn't go far or didn't track herself far.. just less than .6 miles. I was trying to see if she often hiked the area and maybe had a shorter loop she liked to do other than the longer ones listed. I think hiking this late doesn't make sense to hike 8+ miles but I've often hiked a trail I love and only went half way out and then turned back. Maybe she had this same habit or this was maybe her intent that day.. just a few miles vs hiking the entire trail??

Also, I was searching for her on FB and I located a post her sister did on a SoCal Mountaineering group that appears to be a public group. I see several photos she has included that are of Lifei that day and they have a time on them so it seems they have confirmed she was there and exactly where those photos were taken.

IF they found her camera bag and hat, then maybe she was only up there taking photos and not actually hiking this entire trail. Maybe this time of the day was a good time to get photos of nature with the sun starting to set?? The photos her sister shared show Lifei in a yellow coat with the hood up and large full face type goggles. I would say it looks like she was prepared for the weather. I can't see if she has a hat under the coat hood, but there definitely could be one there. I do not know if we can link this group or the sisters posts so I won't do that for now, but if it's okay I can. So Cal Mountaineering is the group and on FB I just searched for Lifei Huang and it was the first thing to pop up.
Unfortunately, even 1/4 mile along a trail in those conditions would be super dangerous. Something as simple as snow covering your tracks might make you hopelessly lost. Or, it was going to ice over, and you weren't wearing cleats. IMO there's no preparation for this kind of weather if you're just starting from your car. Turn right around and go home. If you're already out there and the weather comes in, you'd want to be outfitted like the fellas that were rescued from Mount Baldy over the weekend. They carried big packs.

From last year, right about this time - fwiw.

WHERE ARE YOU LIFEI ??

From this article, it seems part of the problem is social media and the use of SOS devices that are satellite synched, giving people a false sense of security that someone will rescue them.

From last year:

Crystal Paula Gonzalez, a mother of four known as the “dancing hiking queen” who fell an estimated 500 to 700ft down an icy slope on 8 January. Gonzalez had been documenting her hike on social media, but decided to turn back due to unsafe conditions when she slipped and fell.

Unfortunately, even 1/4 mile along a trail in those conditions would be super dangerous. Something as simple as snow covering your tracks might make you hopelessly lost. Or, it was going to ice over, and you weren't wearing cleats. IMO there's no preparation for this kind of weather if you're just starting from your car. Turn right around and go home. If you're already out there and the weather comes in, you'd want to be outfitted like the fellas that were rescued from Mount Baldy over the weekend. They carried big packs.

There were a couple of hikers last year who slipped on the ice and died, so it seems a real risk for inexperienced and unprepared hikers.

Here's a link to the video of one casualty in Jan 2023 who was hiking in the dark, live streaming her hike and slipped on the ice. I hope Lisei wasn't doing this

From this article, it seems part of the problem is social media and the use of SOS devices that are satellite synched, giving people a false sense of security that someone will rescue them.

From last year:

There were a couple of hikers last year who slipped on the ice and died, so it seems a real risk for inexperienced and unprepared hikers.

Here's a link to the video of one casualty in Jan 2023 who was hiking in the dark, live streaming her hike and slipped on the ice. I hope Lisei wasn't doing this

Crystal G-L had relevant experience, too, much more than the current case. IIRC she was wearing cleats when crampons would have been the safer piece of equipment, but likely the risk got astronomically higher because she was distracted by her Instagram ambitions. Just stopping to film might have made her too cold to think straight.

I feel badly for the sheriff warning people over and over again, and they're not paying attention.

I don't believe (but I'm not certain) that SOS devices are playing a role in attracting inexperienced folks to dangerous places, because of the SOS feature, though this has been a meme of MSM for years. IME selfies of various types are the problem, and the urge to film from extreme places, for likes on IG. IG can look seductively easy for folks who have no idea about real danger in the wild.

The biggest problem with the SOS cell devices is that they can inadvertently call emergency services. The iphone has "fall detection", but they've been finding that skiers are flying and crash-landing, and their device calls. Since they generally keep their phones in their pack, they don't get the message from the service asking them to confirm they're okay, and SAR responds. Apple has since tightened the algorithm.
I've more than once had an iphone/watch ask me exactly that when I've tripped in the woods while searching for a pee spot. I've had to quick tell the phone/watch that I'm fine before it automatically calls. Once, I didn't respond fast enough, but rushed to call 911 to tell them to cancel.
Note: the SOS calls with satellite only work with iphone 14 and up, so not a huge number of people have that capability.

Generally, though, I would say inexperienced hikers expect a rescue if they get over their heads. But they miss the notion that this isn't like a helicopter shows up to snatch them from near-death. Often, helicopters can't fly because conditions are dangerous, and SAR takes a while to muster, because they have real lives and must report to the command location. Plus, SAR won't be sent out if it's not safe for them.

The other kind of hiker that can become a serious casualty is the kind who THINK they're experienced. Often, all they've ever had to do is put one foot in front of another, sometimes on very crowded trails. That's not experience. Someone in their early twenties is not going to be experienced, either. This is all why I advocate getting experience from old-timers or traditional, long-time climbing clubs. In their chit chat, they will introduce you to problem situations which likely you've never thought of.

Less than cell phones, I get more appalled at the tiny packs folks carry into wilderness conditions. They clearly don't have a thought for potential emergencies. They often seem to expect other people to rescue them if they have a problem, too, which is the corollary to carrying a small pack or going "ultralight". IMO this is extremely inconsiderate and irresponsible.

Last edited:
I am thinking that people equate dangerous mountains with remote areas, far from civilization. Meanwhile, Mount Baldy is within sight of Los Angeles- and thus is presumed to be an extension of a "park"?
There's always been some of that, but as far as I can tell, the problem has escalated dramatically since SM (especially IG) has seduced people into dangerous territory. I believe NPS (e.g. at Grand Canyon, Yosemite, and Yellowstone) noted the connection and dramatic increase in accidents maybe 5 years ago, and began addressing it. I've seen things like Bryce rangers requiring lugged hiking shoes/boots on visitors who want to go out on ranger-guided hikes. That would mean not trail runners or sneakers of any kind (the regular IG faves). The rangers check before departure.
There are FB groups egging people on, on site videos for YT, books and movies like Wild, people going up Everest who don't even know how to put on crampons, thus risking the lives of many others. There is a lot of entitlement in the mix, as well, a factor in more recent years, as well as the feeling that it's okay to disrespect LE and other mountain authorities. I'm shocked at how aggressive and nasty hikers are to me when I do my volunteer gig on the trails at a national park; I'm in uniform, too.

Last edited:
On the SOS capabilities....

IMO we've seen very few "missings" or mountain fatalities where they've had a PLB, inReach, or phone SOS. It seems always to be the ones that don't have it... So, yeah, I don't believe an SOS feature is enticing inexperienced folks to venture out into the wilderness. It's some other factor.

The guys who were rescued on Baldy over the weekend were a model for the conditions. They were serious about the conditions and their limitations, though they ran into unexpected weather inclemency; made sensible decisions (e.g. putting the tent between 2 rocks to shelter from wind); and carried relevant gear. They must have kept their phones warm somehow, because they maintained communication with LE and SAR. They evidently came from a local mountaineering club. Heck, I'd be joining it if I lived in the area and wanted a serious wilderness experience!

I am thinking that people equate dangerous mountains with remote areas, far from civilization. Meanwhile, Mount Baldy is within sight of Los Angeles- and thus is presumed to be an extension of a "park"?
I can see that.
People thinking it is a National "Forest" - which to them translates as easy peasy.
Government controlled land for the people.

IMO, the only reasons to go up there in the winter are for skiing or to have a safe breakfast at Mt. Baldy Lodge in front of the roaring river rock fireplace.

I can see that.
People thinking it is a National "Forest" - which to them translates as easy peasy.
Government controlled land for the people.

IMO, the only reasons to go up there in the winter are for skiing or to have a safe breakfast at Mt. Baldy Lodge in front of the roaring river rock fireplace.
Similar to the way that people take risks at NPs like Grand Canyon.

Prayers to Lifei and her family. I hope they find her soon and that she's safe.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ronjan
Back