CA - Linda Anne O’Keefe, 11, strangled, Newport Beach, 6 Jul 1973 *ARREST in 2019*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Man charged in cold-case killing, sex assault of 11-year-old Newport Beach girl dies in custody | KTLA

"The man who was arrested and charged in a string of child sex crimes last year after DNA evidence tied him to the 1973 homicide of a Newport Beach girl died while in custody Wednesday, officials said.

James Alan Neal, 73, was transferred to a local hospital May 25 for treatment of an illness and died there at about 5:15 a.m. Wednesday, according to Orange County sheriff’s officials.

Authorities did not provide details on Neal’s illness, but said he was not exhibiting COVID-19 symptoms. Before his hospitalization, he was being held at the Theo Lacey maximum-security jail in Orange."

Well - I guess I can scratch out his 8/7 pretrial hearing then, eh? Guess California just saved some $$ to prosecute this case.

Rest In Peace.jpg Linda - he's getting his justice....

Man charged in cold-case killing, sex assault of 11-year-old Newport Beach girl dies in custody | KTLA

"The man who was arrested and charged in a string of child sex crimes last year after DNA evidence tied him to the 1973 homicide of a Newport Beach girl died while in custody Wednesday, officials said.

James Alan Neal, 73, was transferred to a local hospital May 25 for treatment of an illness and died there at about 5:15 a.m. Wednesday, according to Orange County sheriff’s officials.

Authorities did not provide details on Neal’s illness, but said he was not exhibiting COVID-19 symptoms. Before his hospitalization, he was being held at the Theo Lacey maximum-security jail in Orange."

Wow! Was not expecting that.

I'm so glad her family finally learned of his identity and saw him receive a measure of justice. RIP Linda, what a sweet little girl. You didn't deserve your fate, but you loved and were loved in your time on Earth.

Last edited:
Well - I guess I can scratch out his 8/7 pretrial hearing then, eh? Guess California just saved some $$ to prosecute this case.

View attachment 256668 Linda - he's getting his justice....
I must confess while reading through the thread and the years he got away with it I wondered if he would "survive" jail - guess not. At least her family knew the killer was caught. Nice work @Niner @Jim_M for all of the updates -

linda-o-keefe-cold-case-02-ht-jc-180709_hpEmbed_4x5_992.jpg

Linda O'Keefe, 11, Murdered 6 July 1973

LINK:

Sister of victim in 1973 cold case murder speaks out after suspect arrested through DNA: 'I've been praying for him'

Linda's story is being told on CBS 48 hrs. right now. Very good, many family and friends discussing her and her abduction. They're interviewing the witnesses who saw her and the man with the turquoise van, as well as the man who found her body the next day.

Last edited:
DNA has been an amazing break through for finding criminals. What a blessing. Thank you all scientists for helping so many grieving families find answers they've been waiting for, sometimes for decades.

DNA has been an amazing break through for finding criminals. What a blessing. Thank you all scientists for helping so many grieving families find answers they've been waiting for, sometimes for decades.

Yes, the original investigators who worked on her case said they never expected back then the samples they saved could be used to track the killer. They made the choice thinking it would be needed as evidence of rape for the trial if he was caught.

I rewatched the 48 Hours episode last night and just wanted to commemorate Linda here in her thread. I added flowers at Find A Grave, as well. I guess most people would find that odd but I have a feeling WSers understand.

Fly high, Linda!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SapphireGem
Back