GUILTY CA - Mammoth Lakes, NtvFem 413UFCA, 30-40, Shady Rest cmpgrnd, May'03 Isabel Sanchez Bernal *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Well, for Pete's sake, still no positive ID on this lady? Her UID pages are still accessible at FBI, Doe, and Cue Center.

The links above describing the process of trying to identify her are no longer working. Here's one that is, and it's fascinating to read what's possible these days:

[URL="http://www.forensicmag.com/articles/2007/01/four-years-day-one-saga-science-and-inquest#.UnJj_CjxqAA"]http://www.forensicmag.com/articles/2007/01/four-years-day-one-saga-science-and-inquest#.UnJj_CjxqAA[/URL]

I read about this years ago, and it sounded like they were so close to a positive ID, and would be able to start looking for her murderer...

How disappointing that there still appears to be no update since that time.

Maybe she's not the person they thought she was. If that's the case, I hope they're still looking.

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Original

On 5/26/2003 a human skull was found by a resident walking a dog. On 5/29/2003 additional remains, clothing and personal belongings were found nearby in a shallow grave apparently dug up by animals. The deceased was a petite, adult female who had at least one prior, full-term pregnancy during life. She may have spent time prior to her death in the White Mountain area near Piute Creek or the Valentine Reserve Ecological Area.

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Original

On 5/26/2003 a human skull was found by a resident walking a dog. On 5/29/2003 additional remains, clothing and personal belongings were found nearby in a shallow grave apparently dug up by animals. The deceased was a petite, adult female who had at least one prior, full-term pregnancy during life. She may have spent time prior to her death in the White Mountain area near Piute Creek or the Valentine Reserve Ecological Area.

She is really petit....4'4 - 5'0 estimated.

Lilia Edith Anguiano – The Charley Project

• Missing Since 08/21/1999
  • Missing From Los Banos, California
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Sex Female
  • Race Hispanic
  • Date of Birth 01/16/1973 (47)
  • Age 26 years old
  • Height and Weight 4'0, 110 pounds
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Hispanic female. Brown hair, brown eyes.

• Sex Female
  • Race Hispanic
  • Age 26 years old
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Hispanic female (Mexican decent). Brown hair, brown eyes.
lilia_edith_anguiano_1.jpg

• Sex Female
  • Race Hispanic
  • Age 26 years old
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Hispanic female (Mexican decent). Brown hair, brown eyes.
lilia_edith_anguiano_1.jpg

This is a very good potential match, imo. The only issue, which is also a big one, is the conflicting dates. Lilia went missing in 1999. Her ex-husband was convicted and jailed in 2000. Jane Doe is estimated to have died late 2002. Are JD's PMI/Est YOD dates wrong? Besides these dates everything else fits, including her having children and a connection to both a CA and Mexico. Good find! I'll be interested to see what others say. ;)

ETA - Just thought about this. Is it possible her ex "traded" her to some other guy who then harmed her at a later date?:confused:

Did LE ever investigate Laverda as a possible match to these remains? There's a big question mark surrounding her disappearance. On July 4, 2002 she was supposedly dropped off at work by her husband and was never seen again. Her family reported her missing four days after she was last seen. The timeline of her disappearance fits almost perfectly with this Jane Doe's discovery/PMI dates. I wish we had more information on her.
AR-200709961.jpg

Laverda Sorrell – The Charley Project
FBI, family seek clues about woman who went missing 18 years ago
AZ - AZ - Laverda Sorrell, 44, Fort Defiance, July 4, 2002

This is a very good potential match, imo. The only issue, which is also a big one, is the conflicting dates. Lilia went missing in 1999. Her ex-husband was convicted and jailed in 2000. Jane Doe is estimated to have died late 2002. Are JD's PMI/Est YOD dates wrong? Besides these dates everything else fits, including her having children and a connection to both a CA and Mexico. Good find! I'll be interested to see what others say. ;)

ETA - Just thought about this. Is it possible her ex "traded" her to some other guy who then harmed her at a later date?:confused:

I would like to check the Mexican state missing persons site too, to look for this UID. I bookmarked the site twice, but somehow it gets lost all the time. Grrrr.

Did LE ever investigate Laverda as a possible match to these remains? There's a big question mark surrounding her disappearance. On July 4, 2002 she was supposedly dropped off at work by her husband and was never seen again. Her family reported her missing four days after she was last seen. The timeline of her disappearance fits almost perfectly with this Jane Doe's discovery/PMI dates. I wish we had more information on her.
AR-200709961.jpg

Laverda Sorrell – The Charley Project
FBI, family seek clues about woman who went missing 18 years ago
AZ - AZ - Laverda Sorrell, 44, Fort Defiance, July 4, 2002

I read the extensive research on the remains of this UID done. They have very solid leads that this UID is from San Mateo Macuilxochitl, a Zapotec Indian village of 3,000 people that predates the Spanish conquest. It lies in the Oaxaca Valley, east of the state capital of Oaxaca City. Its people have been peasant corn farmers for centuries, but in recent years they have also immigrated to the U.S., particularly California, Illinois and Michigan. But....one of the village eldest says she is not from that village. They even found the name of a woman she seems to be genetically related to.

Enlisting a Posse of Scientists

The strange thing is, knowing so much about her, she is still not identified.
My best guess is she came from Chiapas, the southernmost state of Mexico, maybe even Guatemala.

Last edited:
I have a friend who was with the person whose dog found the remains —this is the update she shared on Facebook :
https://www.kolotv.com/2021/08/14/arrest-two-decades-old-mono-county-killing/
Arrest in two decades old Mono County killing
From the link:

RVHP2QVF6ZFLXFO7TPT43OOIAU.jpg

"The Mono County sheriff’s Office on Friday said it has arrested a man in connection with a two-decades-old killing.

Diego Santiago Hernandez-Antonia, 47 of Mammoth Lakes was booked on a no-bail warrant for the murder of Isabel Sanchez Bernal, 30, of Puebla, Mexico.

The case began in May 2003 when unidentified human remains were found in a shallow grave near Shady Rest Park in Mammoth Lakes. All investigators could determine about her was that the victim was a woman of about 30 to 40 years old and was of indigenous ancestry from southern Mexico.

Recent DNA technology allowed investigators to confirm the body was Sanchez Bernal. The sheriff’s office did not indicate how it determined Hernandez-Antonia was involved in her death."

I'm alerting the mods that she's been identified.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SouthEnd
Back