CA CA - Margie Winn, 17, Beaumont, 7 Feb 1948

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Yes he did come from a prominent family...the Reynolds family of Tobacco fame.

He lived in Redlands Calif at the time of the murder with his parents.

Though there is a geographical relationship, and some vague similarities, I don't believe this is related to the Zodiac case,

It apparently started out as a foiled burglary, the Suspect, fled and was on the run, its unknown whether or not he had a weapon prior to stealing the car, however, when he attempted to rob the couple, he didn't have his own weapon, the 410 just happened to be in the car when it was stolen.

It seems most plausible , he came upon the couple by sheer chance,

The murder was a felony murder (murder committed, during commission of a felony), basically a robbery gone awry, its possible he didn't even intend to fire the weapon but panicked when the driver, gunned the gas, or even did so accidentally. Its also possible he was under the influence, of drugs or alcohol.

Which is the angle you would take when interviewing the suspect

This doesn't appear to be a sexual homicide, (which is what the Zodiac crimes, as were the Son Of Sam crimes, classified as, even though there was no sexual assault in those particular cases)

Look for burglaries, in the area, it seems unlikely he would simply select a random home in the area to burglarize, unless he was high, without trying others in the area 1st. Robberies, would also be a possible lead.

Its possible the burglaries, and robberies, are a means to feed, a dependency.

He lived in Redlands Calif at the time of the murder with his parents.

Ancestry.com shows him born in 1926, died in 1988. Parents born in North Carolina, father 30 years older than mother. The father was a retired wealthy orange grower at the time of the killing, and he died in Oct 1948.

I don't get how it could be James Sloan when the farmer found a stolen car outside his house, and the car's owner said the murder weapon was inside the car when it was stolen.

Also three neighbors of Eilts reported prowlers within the preceding hour. And the deputies were already at Eilts' house when Sloan drove up, that's why he stopped there.

There were also footprints in the soft ground that linked the slaying to the stolen car found on the Eilts property.

Picture of Margie. Pretty girl. She also came from a local wealthy family.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?n...cYhAAAAIBAJ&sjid=yZ0FAAAAIBAJ&pg=7291,2251846

If Sloan was telling the truth about pulling to the side of California Hwy 99, I really do not believe it was to set their watches. I would guess it was to "park" and "neck and pet" which I doubt anyone would admit to doing way back in 1948. :moo:

But why would they "neck and pet" on the highway. Wouldn't they pull off on some side road? He said the car was in idle. The highway doesn't exist today in Beaumont, it's now 6th Street, couldn't figure out where it goes outside of Beaumont.

Daylight Savings wasn't until March of that year.

And they were out at 2:45 am, late for a 17-year-old girl, even today.

His father had been comptroller and a director for Reynolds Tobacco, don't know if he was related to the Reynolds family.

Was her family as rich as his? If they were rich, odd, they didn't raise hell.

Her parents were divorced. Her father owned a drug store in Redlands and her stepfather owned orange groves. It looks like she was the only child from this union.

I am the sister to Marjorie Lee Winn. Most of the information is close to being okay.
Margie was a model for Jim, who was a photographer. We have beautiful pictures taken of her by Jim. Jim even had a picture of her in his home in the late 50's. This was a shock to my brother when he saw it. To their dying day my parents blamed Jim. Many people have asked the sheriff's dept in Beaumont about the case. Shadowangel above give a good account of the story.

I hardly believe there is a diabolical coverup at work when the earlier robberies, footprints, and murder weapon were all accounted for with witnesses. The only detail in here that sticks out to me is the footprints were size 7. That's ... small. I would not immediately think that's a grown man. That could be a teen, maybe 15, right?

But, what I'm more interested in asking about is this: What if the question is not "Is this Zodiac?" What if the question is "Would he know about this?" We all know Zodiac paid attention to the papers. He read. There are people who suspect that he took credit for the Cheri Jo Bates murder (and others who think he killed Cheri Jo Bates). Assuming he just took credit, 1969/1970 was not like today where you can just Google "recent murders SoCal" and find information. Wouldn't Zodiac, a NoCal resident in 1970, need to be local enough to Riverside to even know of that murder? How likely is it that the Bates murder appeared in NoCal papers? So you can estimate either of three things from that: 1) Zodiac was a Riverside-area resident before moving to the SF/Vallejo/Walnut Creek area; 2) Zodiac lived in NoCal but had close access to information from distant parts of the state, suggesting news media proximity or law enforcement; or 3) Zodiac had family/friends in the Riverside area who shared information about Cheri Jo Bates.

Another angle I'm getting at here is what perhaps inspired Zodiac, whether it's murder or the writing to the news? LE often says murders in the news cause copycats. Could Zodiac have heard of this 1940s homicide and decided to copy it for himself? Again, that suggests a Riverside-area connection.

But why would they "neck and pet" on the highway. Wouldn't they pull off on some side road? He said the car was in idle. The highway doesn't exist today in Beaumont, it's now 6th Street, couldn't figure out where it goes outside of Beaumont.

His father had been comptroller and a director for Reynolds Tobacco, don't know if he was related to the Reynolds family.

Margie had been expected back in Redlands earlier that evening to go on a double-date with her best friend (to see "My Wild Irish Rose" at the Fox Theater). To my knowledge, Sloan was never asked why they were returning so late.

As to "why did they stop on the main highway"? That road was not heavily traveled in 1948; even less so at that hour of the night.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suns12035
Back