Found Deceased CA - Maricela Garcia, 26, Reseda, 12 Jan 2017 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I keep reading it and understand even less.
So most likely her secret, or big part of her secret was that she was actively treating her addiction at the Kaiser's.
Was that drug dealer the only drug dealer she knew? If she was trying to stay away from her ex and generally scared of her past, shouldn't he be at least her second choice?
It's seems to be a big thing either way.

If she choosed him while having other choices - that would mean getting involved with same toxic crowd, responsible for her previous downfalls. Ex with drug debts, ex who acted in a way that required some effort on her side to avoid him after breakup, ex leaving the area - all these things sound bad.
And If she didn't have any other choice/connection to get drugs... that would strongly hint at her not being a girl who liked/attended parties - with that a theory of her suddenly attending any sort of party, coincidentally also a party on which she accidentally OD'd or felt like committing suicide is crazy unlikely.

Also, if she already bought some heroin, less than 24 hours before her disappearance (so late at night or early morning) she likely wouldn't need to seek any drug dealer so soon. Did she even use that? Heroin is heroin, it hits hard, not that much of a chance to act like nothing happened, drive for hours while having suspicious sister around. Possibly on the previous night, but then her visit at church and Kaiser's would be to seek help and strength to resist... and not resisting would only took as much as on the (still theorising) previous night: heading back home and using it again. No idea what's usual serving size of distributed heroin around there, but small girl like her should not run out of it in 24 hours.

Overdosing itself is always a possibility and great danger for drug users but with the given circumstances I fail to see a scenario in which she'd somehow end up in company of people who would in same time:
1. Don't have any ill intent towards her, just picking her up to party all of the sudden.
2. Feel a need to get rid of her body as she accidentally OD'd.
3. But not care that much about possibility of her body being discovered rather quickly (cause that area wasn't secluded enough to be sure that significant time will pass before someone will find her),

It sounds totally plausible by itself, but why care so much about avoiding surveillance and to choose the most obscure spot possible if the plan was just to pick her up for the night of partying and give her ride home in the morning? Or even to tell her to get lost in the morning?
The only thing i can think of doing to push this along a bit is to maybe contact local media and see if they will do an update with LE or some crime groups to investigate or report on it.
I think that best bet with media would be to aim at some sort of anniversary. Her birthday maybe? Or some cold/unsolved case section?

[FONT=&quot]What Is Human Trafficking?
Human trafficking is a serious federal crime with penalties of up to imprisonment for life. Federal law defines "severe forms of trafficking in persons” as: "(A) sex trafficking in which a commercial sex act is induced by force, fraud, or coercion, or in which the person induced to perform such act has not attained 18 years of age; or (B) the recruitment, harboring, transportation, provision, or obtaining of a person for labor or services, through the use of force, fraud, or coercion for the purpose of subjection to involuntary servitude, peonage, debt bondage, or slavery." [U.S.C. §7102(8)]
In short, human trafficking is a form of modern slavery. Those who recruit minors into commercial sexual exploitation (or prostitution) violate federal anti-trafficking laws, even if there is no force, fraud, or coercion.
Human Trafficking of Children in the United States-A Fact Sheet for Schools
BBM

So, like I was saying, an 18 year-old prostitute can so much as be in a hotel room with a 17 year-old prostitute, and the 18 year-old gets charged with "trafficking", because by law the one 12 months older is "harboring" the other.[/FONT]
Now that your friend's sister is 37 (at the time you posted she would've been 32 years old) and not the "cute kid" and perhaps making less I wonder how she views things now. I wouldn't be surprised if one would groom others for the purpose of trafficking and making money. Plus I'm sure they had bad dates and there was danger. So they were just lucky they didn't come across the wrong individual who would pose a danger. A cell phone can be aken away and destroyed as perhaps in Maricela's instance. I'm still reading her thread and trying to figure out what may have happened.

if she already bought some heroin, less than 24 hours before her disappearance (so late at night or early morning) she likely wouldn't need to seek any drug dealer so soon. Did she even use that? Heroin is heroin, it hits hard, not that much of a chance to act like nothing happened, drive for hours while having suspicious sister around.
It is possible she did all the drugs she had, yes. It's possible she bought "only a little" for a "little" indulgence and then realized she wanted more. There are many possibilities here. It's hard to say what happened, but the distance between the mall and her body's location is suspicious in and of itself.
I have so much empathy for her. What a huge loss this must be for her friends and family.

SBM

This really stood out to me. I have an anecdote here. I knew this guy, John. He was a friend of a friend, only met him twice but we had the same dealer for a while. Anyway John goes to the Chad the dealer's house to pick up some xanax. It's not uncommon to hang around for a bit and chat, especially if they're selling out of their house and don't want to raise suspicions. John made himself comfortable on the couch, took a couple xanax and had a beer with Chad. That was the big mistake here. John decided to rest his eyes and have a cat nap before leaving. He didn't wake up. What did chad do? Bagged up John and put him in the dumpster, of course, because well that was probably the best solution a panicked, seasoned drug user (read: brain damage) and big-time-small-time dealer (read: prison) could come up with on the spot.

In summary. They may not have caused any harm to Maricela. But, if she was with somebody who was selling, and considering Maricela had sold drugs herself in the past there's a good chance she was with a dealer, the chances of her being left somewhere hidden vs left on the street dramatically go up. If they were already in a car when Maricela possibly OD'd then that just makes it easier. Accidents happen. The way the situation is dealt with depends on who she is with and how deep they are in the business. I can't see an average harmless user(s) making an effort to hide her body. Things become much different when you're selling, especially when possibly carrying around heroin and/or other hard drugs or pills.
I see your point but I wonder how far the dumpster was where the dealer put John into from his house (the dealer's house where he OD'd. If I were to take a guess it was probably closeby. Whereas Maricela was miles away from where her scent ended behind Kaiser.

I see your point but I wonder how far the dumpster was where the dealer put John into from his house (the dealer's house where he OD'd. If I were to take a guess it was probably closeby. Whereas Maricela was miles away from where her scent ended behind Kaiser.
if it was this scenario, i think the dealer lived out that way.

It is possible she did all the drugs she had, yes. It's possible she bought "only a little" for a "little" indulgence and then realized she wanted more. There are many possibilities here. It's hard to say what happened, but the distance between the mall and her body's location is suspicious in and of itself.
I have so much empathy for her. What a huge loss this must be for her friends and family.
Possible, but few unlikely things would need to go togerher to make it make sense.
At first drug dealer willing to sell just a little, not an usual amount.
Then she'd have to figure that she needs more drugs right away, despite of previously being able to hide the purchases and usage from her sister and cause extremely suspicious circumstances while blocking any chances to contact her.
If she was just getting back to her addiction - it sounds extreme.
If she was already in need of regular supply - she should still have some from last purchase.
Then girl who usually had two phones on her ends up turning one phone off, and smashing and trashing the other - why?
Then she hangs out for significant amount of time pretty close to the goodwill store, so trying to drop her sister and block her from calling her but in same time having high chances of being found by her?
Wants to buy more drugs but how to be sure to find a dealer with no phone?
And at the time when she got to the trash cans behind Kaisers quite a bit of time passed. Her sister was just left there with no clue, no explanation, no car keyes and no way to get back home.
Very very unusual circumstances to decide to go party, to go anywhere really. Maybe whoever she met there, after all that chasing told her that she needs to drive with them nearby to get the drugs, later decided to stay there for a bit longer, consume the drugs on the spot and accidentally OD'd but that'd require her to turn into a totally different person that she was described as, cause all that time - her sister left alone, late evening, with no way back home.

Was there really anything what pointed at Maricela possibly selling drugs in the past?
Cause what I saw was based on assumption that she was "delivering food" between cities, while it was probably same thing what other people employed there were doing: accepting orders placed by customers and driving to whatever location (mostly close to customers location) to pick up food or grocceries and deliver it there; while not having much orders locally driving to nearest location where they were a few, accepting those, making these deliveries and driving back home.

I just have to say whoever dumped poor Maricela got away with it. Its been over 5 years and no accountability. Hopefully one day someone's consience will catch up to them and they will finally say what happened. Even if its years from now. Lives and circumstances always change and evolve. Someone years from now may have a completely different outlook on life than they did once. And reality finally makes them talk unlike a fantasy they were living at the time tragedy struck poor Maricela. Maricela was trying to protect her sister which is admirable, that's the bottom line.

I find that going back to the very beginning often helps. I am local to this case so I went to the search and canvassing of the area with Mistivon and her awesome husband. We walked the route that evidence points to her following at that time.

Here are some early posts to help everyone remember:

I was given some additional information about Maricela last night and am hoping this will generate some new ideas. Some of it doesn’t make sense.
· Maricela TOOK her keys and ID. No one knows why she had her ID. Wallet, purse, cash, credit/debit cards, cigarettes all left in the locked car.
· The Goodwill camera captured her walking from the door towards her car/99 Cent Store. They were both in the same direction. Once she moved out of camera view, she disappeared. There were no signs of a struggle, no one saw anything and there is no other security footage.
· Maricela lives with her mother and sister. She is a “homebody” and rarely goes out. She has been in recovery for two years. She might occasionally smoke weed but no other drugs/alcohol
· When Maricela went missing previously, she had been kidnapped, drugged and held in a hotel by her ex-boyfriend. The family suspects something similar has happened BUT the ex is in jail in another state. He has been cleared.
· The family believes her phone was a prepaid and they cannot get records. They don’t know how to do this and the police have not mentioned it.
· She had not spoken with/texted anyone that day that anyone knows of. She had been with her sister all day and not really using her phone. She has no current boyfriends.
· Maricela works as a delivery driver for PostMates based out of LA. She has a co-worker who has been harassing her, so much so that she recently punched him in the face. The family is concerned this person may be involved but they don’t know who he is. This is where they want to focus. They need help finding information about PostMates.
· No one knows her hangouts or drug associations. If she was not taken, she MAY be in the Santa Clarita or Mission Hills area. However, the family absolutely believes she was abducted. They have been checking hospitals and now want to start going to every motel in the LA area because of previous circumstances.

INTERESTING THAT THEY SPECIFICALLY MENTIONED SANTA CLARITA.

Here are Sarah's answers to the questions asked. Some of them raise more questions. Primarily about the deliveries made that day and why the police aren't giving her information. She is family. Also, the PM punching issue seems unclear. Sarah is thinking the situation happened a long time ago then she ran into this guy at PM. She is not sure how, she is asking someone else. I hope this helps with new ideas.

1. Did Maricela take her purse into the store? No

2. Where does she hang out? Home When she was using, where did she go? Only work and straight home !

3. Who is her cell provider? AT&T

4. When was her last day at work and did anything happen? She worked at post mates the same day for only two deliveries and she made me wait in the car since we were hanging out. Has she called in? No

5. Any men she's interested in? No Unhappy females? No Recent breakups? No

6. Are there any other stores in the area with cameras? CVS? Did she go into the 99 Cent Store? Does anyone remember seeing her? I asked around and nothing I checked good will footage and asked around and the 99cents store but they didn't even see her.

7. Has any of her social media accounts been active? No

8. What was her mood like Thursday? Was she happy? Upset? Stressed? Was she supposed to work Friday? She would work every day her mood was the same as always she was calm and just a little stressed about something she just never said why.

9. Does she work in an office? No How does she interact with her co-workers? Doesn't have any it's a delivery app. When was the last day she worked? Thursday around 5 Did anything happen? Nothing

10. Did Maricela run into anyone that day? Surprise visit? Someone/something unexpected? No

11. Did they find anything of hers in the parking lot? Did any store have someone turn in a set of keys? No , I walked around and yes there was cigarette buds by the car. Were there cigarette butts by the car?

12. Has anyone accessed her social media/email to see if she was talking to anyone? Yes and she was not.

13. What are the police doing? Not sure no Info will be released to me.

They were in the store less than half an hour then Sarah started looking for her about 20 minutes after Maricela went outside. She initially waited by the car then went into the stores looking for her. That's not much time to completely disappear.
She smokes American Spirits...more than likely that's memorable to a small store owner. Pretty girl, unusual brand. Sarah thinks there were two butts outside the car. She wasn't wearing lipstick.
Two butts in twenty minutes?

This is what the timeline looks like right now. This looks like there is a lot more to the story. Sarah thinks her sister was running/hiding from someone that night

Approximately 01/09/17: Maricela tells her sister she has a secret but she won't elaborate. She cries and hugs her sister. She slept next to her for the next few days.

01/12/17: Approximately 3:30 PM and 5:00 PM in Venice Beach, Maricela makes two deliveries for Postmates, leaving her sister in the car. She is in and out quickly and no change in mood.

01/12/17: Approximately 6:50 PM. Maricela and her sister enter Goodwill in Reseda to browse.
07:20 PM: Maricela tells her sister she needs a cigarette and will be right back.
07:22 PM: Maricela leaves GW and is captured on camera walking toward her car/99 Cent Store

Approximately 7:45 PM: Sarah goes outside and does not see Maricela. She waits by the car thinking she will be right back.
Approximately 8:00 PM: Sarah becomes more worried because it is dark and raining and the car is locked. She goes into the 99 Cent Store and into Payless but no one has seen Maricela. She asks to use the phone in Payless because her phone is dead and was turned away.
Approximately 8:15 PM: Sarah goes into the chapel of Catherine of Siena Catholic Church. The two women in there tell her they saw Maricela approximately 25 - 30 minutes prior. She "stormed out" looking upset or worried. They ask Sarah if Maricela was sick.
Approximately 8:25 PM: Sarah sees two men outside the stores. They are "sketchy" and give her a bad vibe. One of them asks for the time and wants to know if her phone is dead.
Approximately 8:30 PM: Sarah goes into 7-11 and inquires about Maricela but no one has seen her. She waits there until 8:45 PM when her ride arrives.

Yes, Maricela was Catholic. I brought the confession angle up to the family...maybe she wanted to tell SOMEONE her secret and felt like that was a safe way to do it. He said it's possible. They have NOT talked again to the church ladies or the priest. If they have not done that by Saturday, I am going to tackle the church.
Sarah felt like Maricela ran into the church and AWAY from the "safety" of GW to keep her (Sarah) safe. She said Mari was fiercely protective and if someone had been watching Maricela, she never would have wanted anyone to know that her sister was inside the store. She also would not have wanted to worry Sarah by telling her someone was after her.
She was not wearing lipstick that day, only light eyeshadow. Sarah thinks there were two cigarette butts but she said there might have been more. It was raining and at that point, she did not realize how important those cigarettes would become. American Spirit butts are on my list of things to look for on Saturday but unfortunately, it's rained numerous days since she went missing :(
The going out alone is also confusing. I am pretty much in the camp of initially meeting someone voluntary and getting taken from there. Breaks my heart.

here are snippets from old posts describing what family has said about the situation:

A few years ago, her dream was to be a Playboy model. I don't know if she was lured with modeling or drugs from her past. I feel that one of those is key.

Sarah told me that she wanted to stop at Goodwill so she could pick up some supplies for a "decade party." She had to stop and use the restroom and because of traffic, they were taking side streets home. After they stopped, Maricela put Goodwill into her navigation and that store is where they ended up.
When I asked about pregnancy, Sarah said she just doesn't know about anything anymore. It's possible.

The answer to how she spent her time in the church was answered in the FMG face book page.

"She sat in a pew for a little while and when she left, she looked fearful and went out the side door "in a hurry".

It's such odd behavior, but it means something. Why would a young, beautiful girl behave this way? Why would she leave everything behind, abandon her sister in a store far away from home in an unsafe area, locked out of their car?

She is running from someone. Who?

Below is FB post from Find Maricela FB, describing what the search dogs found, on the day that we searched in a group:

January 21 2017
For immediate release

Thats hers. Thats definitely my sisters Edgar said as he looked at the item lying in the mud. He then looked up at the search team and pleaded with them to find her.
On January 21 at 9:00 AM, crews and a canine unit from Search Dogs 24/7 commenced search efforts at 18225 Sherman Way, Reseda, CA seeking the location of Maricela Garcia.

Katrina, the trailing dog being used, immediately detected a strong scent after being given a personal item. She confidently followed Maricelas scent to a number of locations and gave a definite direction of travel for the young girl. Katrina was able to independently verify the location of earlier reported sightings and after corroborating witness statements, these sightings are believed to be confirmed.

Maricela was seen on surveillance camera leaving the Goodwill at 18225 Sherman Way in Reseda at 7:22 PM on January 12 2017 when she told her sister she was stepping out to smoke. She was then seen inside St. Catherine of Siena Catholic Church at 7:45 PM. Witnesses said she rushed out and seemed fearful and afraid. There has been no sign of Maricela since. She never returned for her car, her purse or her sister.

Personal items, believed to belong to the missing woman, were located during the search. These items were turned over at the scene to LAPD for forensic analysis and confirmation.

Surveillance videos will be analyzed on Monday and further search efforts will be released at that time.
Maricela is described as a shy, girly-girl who loves pink and would never leave her family. She is 55, 120 pounds with brown eyes. Her hair is brown with blonde tips. The night of her disappearance, she was wearing a white beanie, black winter coat, black boots, dark jeans and a white shirt. She was also wearing a black choker and carrying a set of keys with the inscription BMW attached to a pink heart keychain. A black Samsung GoPhone is also missing. Included with this release is a still of Maricela taken from surveillance on the night of her disappearance.
Police have urged anyone who might have seen Maricela Garcia between the hours of 7:00 PM and 10:00 PM on January 12 in the area of Sherman Way and Lindley Avenue to contact Detective Guevara at 213-996-1800 or the LAPD West Valley Division at 818-374-7611. If you see Maricela Garcia, any of the aforementioned personal items, or have information on her disappearance, please call 911. You may remain anonymous.
The family and friends of Maricela Garcia would like to thank the tireless efforts of Katrina and the team at Search Dogs 24/7. They are also grateful to those who came out and searched and those that are sharing on social media. They encourage everyone to keep sharing and keep talking about Maricela.
For further information please visit Log in or sign up to view

Ok, so I'm going to post everything I can. Like I said, I didn't take many pictures but the ones I do have will either create more questions or cement your belief. I am exhausted, physically and mentally so please bear with me. I'm sure this post will be disjointed. This was my first search ever, much less coordinated, so I know I'm a newbie wuss but I'm also old and decrepit :)
First of all, my husband and I got there an hour early. Search Dogs 24/7 (hereafter referred to as SD lol) called and said they would be late. Since they had told me they would coordinate things, I was, as usual unprepared. We got there and sent over maps that we could mark off areas in grids so everything was searched. No clue on how many people to expect. Could be 2, could be 20. Well, it was more than 2 but WAY LESS than 20. We set out and immediately got good suggestions from homeless people. Teams were sent out in those areas as well as her last knowns.
When the dog arrived, the handler set her down at the door of GW and gave her a scent article. I know that dogs are fallible but after today, man I am a true believer. This dog was phenomenal. Yes, I took that video (forgive the really poor cell phone quality but my iphone is in the shop (joke)). Katrina (the dog) IMMEDIATELY took that scent and just booked it. She stuck her nose in the 99 Cent Store and Payless and gave negatives (That is why you see her sticking her head in and coming right back out). However when she got to Jon's, she gave a definite indicator. The handler feels like Maricela left the GW and walked directly to Jon's and entered the store.
Here is where things get kind of tricky and I am so mad that I did not take pictures. I will try to retrace her steps via video tomorrow so you can see. I am going to explain it the best I can.
The strip mall opens to two sides. You can walk in the south door and exit due north from any store. Parking lots on both sides. The door the girls went in is on Sherman Way. It is highly populated. It was INCREDIBLY busy today with people walking down the sidewalk, driving, just crazy. But, it is populated and I would venture to say even at night is relatively safe if you are in a group. (The whole neighborhood is shady. Behind and to the left of GW is a homeless camp and methadone clinic). The BACK side is scarier. There were a lot of needles and trash back there and a LOT of homeless people wandering around.
So, we are not sure which door she went out of at Jon's. The dog hit in both parking lots. In the back lot, we found an item believed to be Maricela's. It indicates that she was there at least for a minute or two, not running/walking through. We don't KNOW this to be Mari's as none of the items have been processed, but we believe it to be. (I am getting to the church in a second, but we are not sure if she went out to the front door of Jon's to the church then behind the strip or behind the strip then the church). However, AWAY from the church, directly behind GW, like in the mud right at the base of a dumpster (looked like someone meant to throw it in but missed) was a phone. The phone was shattered and had the battery and sim card removed. The brother was certain it was her phone :( The police of course haven't said yet. If it was Mari's it bodes very badly. The dog trailed her scent to the area...but again we don't know when in the overall course of things that was.

So, from Jon's. She either goes out the back door into the scary parking lot, or out the front door. The next stop was the church. The handler had not been given any information about the sighting beforehand. Katrina took her straight from Jon's directly INTO the church. (I had wondered if those sightings were to be believed. They are) Not just into the church, but into several rooms. Mari's scent was all over the building. More significant, Katrina went directly to the pew located immediately next to that side door (remember that discussion) jumped in the pew and sat. The handler said this was a definite that Mari sat at that spot in the pew. She didn't know how long but long enough to leave a really solid scent.
Maricela left the pew and went out the side door immediately adjacent (This was confirmed by the two women). She went into the back parking lot (it is large and it is dark). Then, she either walked to the back of the fence, cut through and ended up in the far back behind Jon's...OR she went right out of the parking lot onto Lindley, which runs North and South. After Mari exited the parking lot onto Lindley, she went north for maybe half a block. Up that street, there is nothing. Some residences, some closed buildings. No activity on a Saturday afternoon. After she went north, she backtracked. When she got to the intersection of Sherman Way and Lindley (if she had come back out of the front door of the church and turned left, away from GW, she would have immediately come to this intersection), She DIAGONALLY cut across. She went from the NW corner of the intersection directly to the SE. It did not seem that she crossed where she should have, at the light. The handler was pretty confident that Maricela bypassed the traffic laws and cut across the street that way. In the SW corner, directly across from the church and the side of the street Mari was on, is the 711, bank, etc. On the SE corner is a large Kaiser medical building. This building leaves their doors open until 1000 PM at night. Katrina indicated that Mari made it to that corner of the intersection and went directly up to the door of Kaiser. There is like an indention there, a "hidey hole" if you will. The dog indicated Mari hid there, or stopped there or whatever you want to call it. It appears that she then went in that door and straight out back. In the back, and this is the only pictures I have so again, forgive me, her scent continued to the far back corner, to the dumpster. There were also multiple "hits" in this parking lot as if Maricela ran to several exits/corners/walls/whatever. In the corner, behind the dumpster, we located another potential item of maricela's and the police came and picked it up. Again, it was not for sure but again, the family was certain.
It was in this parking lot that they believe Maricela got into a car...or, there is one other option.

So, I know dogs are fallible. I know sometimes dogs miss people that are literally right under their noses. I know this was my first experience and i don't deny being "star-struck." But I know what I saw and I believe what I was told. This team was just incredible. They came out to help with nothing to go on, no media interest, just a real desire to help. That dog was amazing and the team was, well, I can't say enough. They did NOT give their opinion or "guess" what happened. They simply told us where Maricela had been and where she had not. They also gave us an indication of her pattern of movement. So what I am about to say is my own (and Mr. Mistivon's) interpretation. This is based on a number of things. What we saw, what we found, the people we talked to and the dog's movements. This is MY OPINION. And I am still somewhat on the fence...I am not in the 100% abduction camp...well...here, just let me explain.

There are two things about the church. With the whole upset behavior the days before and the "secret" then going to the church, it sounded like maybe Mari had planned to leave her sister. Maybe she went to "confess" or talk to someone or God about what she was about to do. When we first got the information about the "hiding" or "ducking and hiding" (as it was described, or also as movements of a person being chased), we thought maybe Mari had spotted Sarah at the 711 or walking around looking for her and maybe she was hiding from Sarah. Waiting for someone to pick her up or whatever. BUT, when at the very end of the day, I finished at the church (and believe me, there is NOTHING there. I went through every single pew, every slot behind every pew and thumbed through every book in every pew..and there were a lot a lootttt of books) and went to see where they scented her at kaiser, my thinking changed and my stomach dropped.
When you first walk out the back door of the building (and because the police never looked at security footage, we can't be sure she ever entered the building. If she went back down the front steps and around the building, she could have entered the back parking lot from the side), it is a MASSIVE MASSIVE parking lot. Mr Mistivon estimates it at three football fields side by side. Well, the dumpster where her scent was, was at the very back, very far corner. Against the building, there were "walls" of bushes. IF someone were hiding, those were perfect. You can squeeze in between the hedges then they like close over you but the space back there is open. Like a fort. There is absolutely.no.reason.for.anyone to run all that distance across an open parking lot to a dumpster then literally, literally be cornered. IF the item is hers and IF the scent is correct, she was not back there willingly. No way. No how. If you are going to jump in a car for a quick whatever, or have someone pick you up...no single girl is gonna say, "Yeah, hey, meet me in the very back of this huge parking lot in the corner behind the dumpster." Hell no. IF you wouldn't meet right in front of GW, you'd meet behind the church...you can't see one from the other. And IF you were going to get picked up across the street at Kaiser, you'd have someone do it right inside the gate. Not all the way in the back.
So, once I thought like that...it kinda changed my mind on the church. It seems to me now that maybe Mari went in the front door seeking solace, safety, whatever. She sat in a front pew immediately next to the side door. I think she already knew someone was stalking, creeping, following, whatever her, and when she saw the front door open and the person walk in, she darted quickly out the side door. Remember, she was in a hurry and looked upset. IDK if anyone thought to ask the two women if anyone else had come in. Then I think she went to run up Lindley but there was nothing there. She doubled back and IDK why she went to Kaiser...maybe she knew there was security in there. Maybe that felt safer than 711. I don't know. I just think whatever happened in that back parking lot was bad.
And I'm scared. And I really hope I've just read too many stories and watched too many horror movies. I hope she texted someone to meet her and she jumped in the car and is off doing her thing with no clue this is going on (or no care). I know I'm probably way off base here but I wanted to lay everything out as best I could without compromising certain things. I know there is probably something in front of my face I'm not seeing, questions I didn't ask, obviously pictures I didn't take. Please, poke holes in my theory. Ask questions. If I don't have the answer, I will get it.

I'm going to post the pictures of the back parking lot. Unfortunately, these were taken from the angle of the dumpsters instead of from her viewpoint. I'm frustrated about that but it is what it is. You can still see the distance and i will get better pictures tomorrow.
Until this last piece of info, until I saw this lot, ESPECIALLY after we heard she had gone into the church and sat in a pew...I really thought maybe she was voluntarily missing after all. Please look at these pictures and tell me how she can still be.
Wow, what a book. Hope I don't put anyone to sleep :( I'm so sorry but it's hard to explain what I want to in a short story...hence why I don't tweet :)
Also...NO, NO footage from ANY of these places has been obtained. NO interviews have been done. LAPD or whoever came out and collected the items. They searched the car (not even with forensics, pretty sure) and saw the footage from GW and the 99 Cent Store. Nothing else. Not even the Kaiser or church footage.They.are.not.interested.
I'm about to finally post a couple of pictures from the parking lot where her scent ended. I also have a picture of her car in the parking lot but the dog did not even glance over there. I promise I will get more pictures tomorrow. I want you all to see what I am trying to explain and I know it's pretty impossible.

Attachments​

• 20170121_152154.jpg
    20170121_152154.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 179
  • 20170121_152206.jpg
    20170121_152206.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 182
  • 20170121_151702.jpg

Maricela TOOK her keys and ID. No one knows why she had her ID. Wallet, purse, cash, credit/debit cards, cigarettes all left in the locked car.
Would be good to know what for a local person would be considered a good reason why take only those two items but no wallet.

That's probably irrelevant, but if it was me in kinda similarish circumstances...
I was doing that while having absolutely no money but having no other choice than to take my chances and get into a bus without a ticket (being caught was bad, but being caught without ID was waaay worse) or while walking somewhere at night with a chance of meeting cops that could be interested in my identity (showing id was making things go much quicker).

This ID may be irrelevant, if indeed everything seemed to be relatively okay till they got into the goodwill... then she'd have it in her pocket already and just didn't put it back in her wallet. If she was usually carrying it in her wallet/purse.
When Maricela went missing previously, she had been kidnapped, drugged and held in a hotel by her ex-boyfriend. The family suspects something similar has happened BUT the ex is in jail in another state. He has been cleared.
And it wasn't a thing that made investigators go on high alert and check EVERY POSSIBLE SURVEILLANCE AROUND? Wow.

Nice that her ex was "cleared" but was this kind of behaviour shocking and unusual in his crowd? Did his buddies figured that "oh my, this guy went waaay too far, it's unacceptable"?
I don't want to sound prejudical but I'd think not. He probably wasn't the first nor the last who did something like that.

Could he asked someone to do it?
Yes. -> who?
No. -> then who from his crowd was regular in the area where Maricela went missing and knew her well enough to be able to recognize her at night.

Unless it's so common around there, that there is no reason to suspect involvement from somebody in his crowd.

· No one knows her hangouts or drug associations. If she was not taken, she MAY be in the Santa Clarita or Mission Hills area. However, the family absolutely believes she was abducted. (...)

Probably not that interesting. If Maricela was a family oriented girl and preffered to spend time at home, then that abusive monster who technically has to be refered as her ex boyfriend had to be someone she met through her friends. Highschool friends maybe? Acquaintances from previous work?
So likely those people were from the Santa Clarita/Mission Hills area. Obviously had ties to the terrible crowd he brought to the table.
Since her body was found there, along that road... makes sense that someone who could be well aware that fenced area is not frequented by anybody at the time would think of it as nice dumping ground if they were taking that route often.

If here clothes weren't torn by the fence then we're talking some pretty strong man or multiple people.
She was a tiny woman but still, over 100 pounds of dead weight to be thrown over a 4,5? 5ft fence by a single person?
Possible of course, but while looking for dumping location of convenience nobody would pick up "behind the fence, where I'd have to struggle for a minute or two trying to push her body over it". I'd think that it had to be not a challenge physically to do that.

1658190582288.png
I wouldn't thought that accidental OD theory will appear so likely to me but those old posts are indeed very beneficial. It makes sense now.

If she got kidnapped and forcefully drugged by her abductors, who did not intend to kill her yet, but were on their way to take her to a different location, in the direction of Santa Clarita while they realised that she's dying, they went to the closest, easily available dumping location near the road.

So someone having a house or appartement inside the orange shape... frequenting the area inside the red shape... either good friend of her ex, or someone who wanted to use her to threat her ex.

1658191998739.png
2. Where does she hang out? Home When she was using, where did she go? Only work and straight home !
Then how exactly did she managed to buy some heroin day prior?
Also: did she?
Did her family found any drugs or drug leftovers/accessories at home, in her belongings or nothing like that was there?

Are we going to believe that girl who was seriously scared for her safety would seek a drug dealer who was close to her ex who kidnapped her prior just cause that same ex made her addicted to heroin, likely bought from same guy who likely frequented the area of Santa Clarita just cause he says so? While possibly being involved, having knowledge of or at least some good suspicions on what happened to Maricela - and sure as hell having his own best interest in hinting at her being directly responsible for her fate?

They were in the store less than half an hour then Sarah started looking for her about 20 minutes after Maricela went outside. She initially waited by the car then went into the stores looking for her. That's not much time to completely disappear.
She smokes American Spirits...more than likely that's memorable to a small store owner. Pretty girl, unusual brand. Sarah thinks there were two butts outside the car. She wasn't wearing lipstick.
Two butts in twenty minutes?
When I'm stressed I can do even three of four in 20 minutes. Two is nothing unusual IMO. Also if it's windy and raining cigarettes go way faster than usual. Some brands are so full of that thing which speeds up burning to make people buy more cigarettes that they don't stand more than 5 minutes in any weather/calmness circumstances.

Also 30 seconds is enough to completely disappear. It only takes one person to lose sight of the other, and if circumstances are unfortunate enough, whatever happens later, they're just not seen by anyone who would care/recognised them.
If any of the dozen cameras visible on the back and front of that shopping centre (and on few lamps on the parking lot) were "not working" that day and only one goodwilll had working surveillance (cause that's of course where most significant stealing action is going on and where the owners make most money so they can afford cameras - but big supermarket few steps farther surely never had any in 2017).

Approximately 01/09/17: Maricela tells her sister she has a secret but she won't elaborate. She cries and hugs her sister. She slept next to her for the next few days.
So she was not relapsing come on. Hiding heroin usage but sleeping with sister? Why?
Approximately 8:25 PM: Sarah sees two men outside the stores. They are "sketchy" and give her a bad vibe. One of them asks for the time and wants to know if her phone is dead.
Most likely unrelated. She was worried, confused, looking around nervously I guess - no sketchy guy in sight would leave a girl like that alone without at least scaring the hell out of her.
Yes, Maricela was Catholic. I brought the confession angle up to the family...maybe she wanted to tell SOMEONE her secret and felt like that was a safe way to do it.
Wasn't that church almost empty at the time?
Their website says Thursday masses are 8:30am and 6:30pm and we're talking good hour after mass ended. It's not a time for a priest to do confessions cause there is simply not enough people wanting to do that. Some requested private confessions could happen at any time, most likely after a mass if someone feels like needing a longer talk, but that'd be very unusual as people in such need are rather meeting priest somewhere else for a talk and do more classic confession later, before the mass to take the communion.
Also I'd think that any priest I ever knew who would be praying at church after mass or sitting in confessional would take notice of some girl coming in, distressed and asking two women about something before leaving, still nervous would ask what was that about and tried to help.
There was most likely no confession cause also no priest around, and the reason why Maricela went there was cause she was begging God for help and protection of her sister and possibly herself.
A few years ago, her dream was to be a Playboy model. I don't know if she was lured with modeling or drugs from her past. I feel that one of those is key.
This sounds pretty wild. A Playboy model few years before? Nobody's going to lure a girl, on the street, in the middle of the night, right outside of church with an excuse of offering her Playboy modelling job.
They had to be grasping on every possible explanation to come up with something this far fetched. It's also pretty horrible that her last dream for her life was shared years before. No new dreams? For years?
After they stopped, Maricela put Goodwill into her navigation and that store is where they ended up.
So she had

I find that going back to the very beginning often helps. I am local to this case so I went to the search and canvassing of the area with Mistivon and her awesome husband. We walked the route that evidence points to her following at that time.

Here are some early posts to help everyone remember:

I was given some additional information about Maricela last night and am hoping this will generate some new ideas. Some of it doesn’t make sense.
· Maricela TOOK her keys and ID. No one knows why she had her ID. Wallet, purse, cash, credit/debit cards, cigarettes all left in the locked car.
· The Goodwill camera captured her walking from the door towards her car/99 Cent Store. They were both in the same direction. Once she moved out of camera view, she disappeared. There were no signs of a struggle, no one saw anything and there is no other security footage.
· Maricela lives with her mother and sister. She is a “homebody” and rarely goes out. She has been in recovery for two years. She might occasionally smoke weed but no other drugs/alcohol
· When Maricela went missing previously, she had been kidnapped, drugged and held in a hotel by her ex-boyfriend. The family suspects something similar has happened BUT the ex is in jail in another state. He has been cleared.
· The family believes her phone was a prepaid and they cannot get records. They don’t know how to do this and the police have not mentioned it.
· She had not spoken with/texted anyone that day that anyone knows of. She had been with her sister all day and not really using her phone. She has no current boyfriends.
· Maricela works as a delivery driver for PostMates based out of LA. She has a co-worker who has been harassing her, so much so that she recently punched him in the face. The family is concerned this person may be involved but they don’t know who he is. This is where they want to focus. They need help finding information about PostMates.
· No one knows her hangouts or drug associations. If she was not taken, she MAY be in the Santa Clarita or Mission Hills area. However, the family absolutely believes she was abducted. They have been checking hospitals and now want to start going to every motel in the LA area because of previous circumstances.

I wonder why Santa Clarita was mentioned. Excuse me if I'm wrong but weren't her remains found in Santa Clarita? I think there's a connection there since she was found deceased there. Someone who was local knew that area where she was found.

Last edited:
I wonder why Santa Clarita was mentioned. Excuse me if I'm wrong but weren't her remains found in Santa Clarita? I think there's a connection there since she was found deceased there. Someone who was local knew that area where she was found.
EXACTLY-----on the very first communication with the family, they wondered if she might have gone to Santa Clarita, if she was voluntarily missing.

Then her body was inexplicably found on the side of the road at a high school in Santa Clarita. If her family had suspected she might be there, she must have had friends or an ex boyfriend out that way. JMO

Maricela put Goodwill into her navigation and that store is where they ended up.
When I asked about pregnancy, Sarah said she just doesn't know about anything anymore. It's possible.
This is interesting. So neither of them suggested stopping by this specific store and they were in some distance when they decided on going there.
This makes sense.

Even if Maricela was treating her addiction at Kaiser's she wasn't from that neighbourhood so she may just pick up one not aware how close it is to the Kaiser's and that church she attended. Goodwill is on the other side of the shopping centre so quite a chance that she haven't noticed that before.
Nothing points at her wanting to be there on that evening. And it makes sense that she got nervous as soon as she realised where they actually stopped but decided to go through that since explaining plans to Sarah may seem too complicated.

No mention that her phone was "playing music" at random times, so no reason for her to be annoyed by malfunctioning phone. Pretty good reason to get nervous enough to turn it off if someone started calling her.

But maybe she wasn't scared yet. Two cigarette buds near the car
07:22 She leaves Goodwill.
8:15 Sarah meets women at the church and learns that 7:45-7:50 Maricela stormed out of there after spending a moment inside.
So that's... 23-28 minutes gap.
- 1 to get next to the car, -3 to get to the church stepping into the supermarket, -4 minimum to pray and run through whole church to the other exit... that leaves just 15-20 minutes to smoke two cigarettes.
Possible, but why get into the store if she had some cigarettes on her?
But did she? Maybe she met someone and got one, smoke one with that person, said bye and go to buy her own pack?

Two women haven't mentioned anyone following her while that'd be pretty good thing to mention. Assumming that nobody chased her then...
It doesn't sound like she'd stop by that goodwill knowing that it will put her and Sarah in danger. She was nervous but not horrified yet - but days prior she was scared of something enough to sleep with her sister.

Why she hasn't called for help? Why not barricade in the goodwill, or in the church, asking those women to call cops? Why not tell Sarah that she just saw bad guy from her past and that they have to leave asap? LA may be pretty close to wild west and isn't known for the most helpful and caring LE but there had to be a way to make them show up and scare the scary people away for long enough to allow girls to leave safely.
I tend to assume that cause she hasn't felt like she's in mortal danger yet.

She exited through the side door and to the dark parking lot, full of sketchy people and walks straight to the most obscure location where homeless people camp. But she doesn't make a stop. Why? She likely jumped over the fence instead of going back or for one of these small "gates" that are pretty close. Why? Maybe camping was closer to the gate and that was the fastest way out cause she was scared, or didn't wanted to disturb them, or cause nobody was there or cause at that point she was already chased.

Why she went there? To hide? To meet someone? Give a cigarette back cause that was the person who offered her smoke earlier?
But then she heads back to the goodwill. She possibly even made it to the back door as her phone was trashed there. But why it's smashed? Was it smashed or just didn't have battery or sim card. Did someone else put it there? Why anyone would do that?

Too much different scents for a dog to be sure what was her exact route on the parking lot, and presence of countless cameras wasn't helpful here but half smoked cigarette somewhere there. Maybe she was with the same person from before and got convinced to go to Kaisers?

With them? But why on foot and why this confusion with direction appeared? It seems to hint at her at that point being alone and in a hurry. I'd likely still be before Sarah got concerned. So hurry may be justified by hope of going back to her car in easily explainable time frame. But she wents at Kaisers and waits for a bit. To meet someone? But why? What for?

If her family saw her as naive enough to possibly fall for promise of becoming Playboy model at 26 with no previous experience or connections she may be terribly easy to trick into something.

But why going on this other parking lot? Way more secluded than previous one, with no single surveillance camera in sight. My imagination fails me to deliver any scenario in which she'd willingly walk through whole parking lot to another obscure spot even with a totally trusted best friend. Why? It was raining, her sister was waiting for her. Why her necklace ended up there? If she'd be forcibly dragged there, then at that point certainly overpowered. Why spend any time with her there? Why some sort of attack on her neck there and then?

There has to be something at least moderately complicated behind it. With multiple people involved. Some tension and threat that she was aware of, but also more of that, which she was not. This is likely explainable with more knowledge of her past, her exe's crowd past and local crowd's dynamic past.

But how, how to explain lack of surveiilance from all these cameras that should show most of her actions before Kaiser's. How? Not a party girl, disappearance weird as hell, previous disappearance meant violent kidnapping. It should be recreated in detail and shared in hope of spiking somebody's memory as they may still have it. Why it wasn't? Why it still isn't? Is it still an active investigation?

NOTE: This article does have some distressing and sadly graphic elements to it so just a caution before reading. I felt that they were disturbing but its the reality that these things can happen.
What if this sort of thing happened to Maicela. I mean it seems as if she was running to the medical building Kaiser. IDK this seems something similar to me. If one reads the article about this victim and does a comparasin to what Maricela was going through I just can't help but to see similarities between Vanessa and Maricela. If what Vanessa's son says is correct (I have no reason not to believe him in my own mind) there are people like these out there. I think possibly the way they may operate is to gain the trust of the victim and then a trafficking situation happens to the victim. Both cases are very tragic. Perhaps Maricela's has different elements to it but the fact that the dog traced her to the dumpsters leaves the question "Why there?" and not somewhere else like her home or earlier in the day on her delivery or even walking to her car at home? The similarities are there IMO.

Last edited:
NOTE: This article does have some distressing and sadly graphic elements to it so just a caution before reading. I felt that they were disturbing but its the reality that these things can happen.
What if this sort of thing happened to Maicela. I mean it seems as if she was running to the medical building Kaiser. IDK this seems something similar to me. If one reads the article about this victim and does a comparasin to what Maricela was going through I just can't help but to see similarities between Vanessa and Maricela. If what Vanessa's son says is correct (I have no reason not to believe him in my own mind) there are people like these out there. I think possibly the way they may operate is to gain the trust of the victim and then a trafficking situation happens to the victim. Both cases are very tragic. Perhaps Maricela's has different elements to it but the fact that the dog traced her to the dumpsters leaves the question "Why there?" and not somewhere else like her home or earlier in the day on her delivery or even walking to her car at home? The similarities are there IMO.
No whatifs are needed really.
Maricela was previously kidnapped, forcefully drugged and kept hostage in some motel by her ex.
She had all the reasons to be terrified of him and his buddies. No idea if he or anyone from his crowd was trying to pimp her out or if any assaults happened, but those people are criminals now and were then. Dealing drugs, especially in LA area had to bring some ties to human trafficking at least for his dealer.

I personally don't see many similarities here.
Both cases are tragic, both women are of Mexican descent, both beautiful, same surname and both were struggling in life and lived in same general area, but it's not enough to draw a connection IMO. In LA area there is probably few dozens of thousands of people (mostly woman and girls) who are abused, stalked, terrorised and forced into prostitution. It's profitable to prey on vulnerable, and anyone could become or be turned vulnerable.

I don't know much about Californian attitude, but it's present pretty much everywhere that people accused of having mental issues or beind drug users are not seen as important as they're alive and even less so if they're ending up dead. Society needs comfort that distancing themselves by "oh, but they were crazy/homeless/drug users and I'm not". World is much safer to be seen this way.

Vanessa's son input doesn't matter as far as we're considering simply an existence of trafficking and forced sex work.
We can be 100% sure that it exists and is a huge business.
A prostutite working outside on her own will and not being forced, robbed and assaulted by members of some sort of organised crime is like a Yeti - many people, too many people believe that they exist and some claim that they saw one. Rarely any woman goes into this business by her own will and beating up, threatening, assaulting and terrorising kids, girls and woman are happening on every day basis.

Perhaps Maricela's has different elements to it but the fact that the dog traced her to the dumpsters leaves the question "Why there?" and not somewhere else like her home or earlier in the day on her delivery or even walking to her car at home? The similarities are there IMO.
Cause there would be likely multiple whitnesses to deal with if they'd try to abduct Maricela from her home, around there, or in the middle of the day. No whitnesses and apparently no surveillance around the Kaiser's then. That's the most likely answer.

As for Vanessa, it's pretty unusual way to commit suicide, especially for a woman. And just after noon?
Pretty odd. I wonder if some surveillance was checked to see if she was visible anywhere, going to the location with gasoline tank.
I wouldn't say that's impossible that she was in such despair and horror that she decided to rather die in such horrific circumstances than to surrender to her abusers, cause this is kinda exactly when people are driven to that. May be bit less likely but also possible that she was forced to do this.
Most likely we will never know what exactly happened to her.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
habitsofwaste
Back