CA - Massive fire at Oakland warehouse party, 36 dead, 2 Dec 2016 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I respectfully disagree. When I was younger I never really thought about checking such things. However, as I got older, and especially as we began having more mass shootings, I do a cursory check of my surroundings when I go into any facility now. Be it a restaurant, motel, concert arena, or movie theater. I'm not all that paranoid, but I figure I'm one step ahead if I already know which direction to go should I need to do so. It only takes a few minutes and it may save your life. I agree, all of those things should be 100% up to code, but, the fact is, that humans are fallible and screw up, therefore, I do a quick glance.

Edit: Again, I'm not laying blame to those living there or there for the concert, at their ages, I'd never thought it would happen either, but if anything can be learned from this, it would be to check your surroundings when you go somewhere. It may save your life.

You just stated that when you were young, you didn't do that. So even you have not always taken that responsibility. I'm the same way, sometimes I look for those things, sometimes I don't. I think it is safe to say that close to 100% of people do not evaluate stuff like that on a regular basis. Anybody who does that 100% of the time, probably is paranoid.

I'm not even sure how a person would go about figuring out where all the exits are in a crowded night spot. Since normally it is too dark to see, and too crowded to move around a lot. Simply knowing where you came in is not enough, if that exit gets blocked by fire. That's why we rely on the government to make sure that establishments are up to code. Unfortunately they failed in this case.

Derick Ion Almena (March 2015 arrest photo) said that he and his wife feel that they are being unfairly blamed for the tragedy that has claimed at least 36 lives

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...arehouse-tragedy-killed-36.html#ixzz4S28lWhfl
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

3B14024A00000578-4003684-image-a-2_1480983014019.jpg

'I gladly would give my entire life of fortune, of wealth, of experience again, again and again…I would surrender everything,' Almena said.
He said he didn't 'know anything about this event, other than okay I’m mopping for it; I’m dusting; I’m cleaning; I’m getting it beautiful'.

lmena said the group was made up of young artists called Satya Yuga, and that he was like the group's grandfather.
'The center we all lived there, and was one of creativity, and beauty, and optimism,' Almena said.

saying the father-of-three should be in prison.
Michael Allison said he and other family members had staged an intervention 18 months ago in the hope of helping Allison deal with drug use which had left 'her hands like claws'.
He said that he thinks child protective services 'dropped the ball' by letting his daughter and Almena have their children back.

'Someone obviously dropped the ball between LA Child Protective Services and the Oakland one. They were clearly not communicating, there was no follow up apparently.'

Photographer Chris Nechodom, who was at the dance party, said people first thought the smoke was coming from a fog machine

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...arehouse-tragedy-killed-36.html#ixzz4S2C1JNEo
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Why is this guy not already arrested for manslaughter?

http://hosted2.ap.org/APDEFAULT/3d2...arty Fire/id-d59c564cec4e4edbb9e923431ffc2f10

Alameda County Sheriff Gregory Ahern told The Associated Press he didn't believe there would be additional bodies found in what is the most lethal building fire in the U.S. in more than a decade.
But he cautioned that it was "impossible to be absolutely positive" until the entire recovery effort is complete. Authorities had gone through about three-quarters of the building by Monday afternoon.

Have just been checking out the rentals in Oakland...WOW...outrageous. How anyone can afford to live there is beyond me. A two bed/one bath older type plain jane apartment...700sq.ft. $1500. plus $1500. deposit. That's $1989. CAD. On top of that one would have their utility bills. This was about the cheapest available. I can certainly understand how some people are having to live in warehouses and why the slum landlords and predators like Derick Ion have taken advantage of this situation.

I have a much better appreciation of where I live now. I have had a $15.00 rent increase in eleven years. I live in a two bedroom townhouse, on the ocean, million dollar view, hot water heat system and hot water included, maintenance and yard work all covered as well....this for $615. per month, $463.USD, deposit here is half the rent. A three bedroom/two bath, full basement house rental goes for about $1500.

Gitana1, I am so sorry for what you and your family are going though. Sending prayers and hugs your way.

Gitana1 I am so sorry for this loss - for you, your family, and all of those who lost loved ones in this horrible fire. I am starting to see some of the memorials and tributes coming out and wow, the world's lost some amazing people and artists.

Have just been checking out the rentals in Oakland...WOW...outrageous. How anyone can afford to live there is beyond me. A two bed/one bath older type plain jane apartment...700sq.ft. $1500. plus $1500. deposit. That's $1989. CAD. On top of that one would have their utility bills. This was about the cheapest available. I can certainly understand how some people are having to live in warehouses and why the slum landlords and predators like Derick Ion have taken advantage of this situation.

I have a much better appreciation of where I live now. I have had a $15.00 rent increase in eleven years. I live in a two bedroom townhouse, on the ocean, million dollar view, hot water heat system and hot water included, maintenance and yard work all covered as well....this for $615. per month, $463.USD, deposit here is half the rent. A three bedroom/two bath, full basement house rental goes for about $1500.

Where do you live? Sounds nice.

A few years ago, and I'm sure this is still going on, a person put multiple storage sheds in their backyard and rented the out for like $500 each. I think it was on the peninsula (south of SF.) No bathroom no electricity. I think it was a nice middle class neighborhood. Eventually owner was caught, probably one of the neighbors complained about parking and traffic.

Just coming over as well from another thread to post my support for Gitana's family. May you feel the prayers and virtual hugs from all of your friends at WS.

You just stated that when you were young, you didn't do that. So even you have not always taken that responsibility. I'm the same way, sometimes I look for those things, sometimes I don't. I think it is safe to say that close to 100% of people do not evaluate stuff like that on a regular basis. Anybody who does that 100% of the time, probably is paranoid.

I'm not even sure how a person would go about figuring out where all the exits are in a crowded night spot. Since normally it is too dark to see, and too crowded to move around a lot. Simply knowing where you came in is not enough, if that exit gets blocked by fire. That's why we rely on the government to make sure that establishments are up to code. Unfortunately they failed in this case.

My firefighter dad had me so paranoid when I was growing up that even as a teenager I would refuse to stay at a nightclub if I thought it was overcrowded or didn't have adequate emergency exits. It was pretty much a joke among my friends...I always had to take my own car in case I decided to leave early.

I'm still paranoid to this day. I travel some for work and the first thing I do when I check into my room is look for the emergency exits. I blame my dad for this. The man sent me off to college with my own personal smoke detector because he didn't trust the ones in the dorm. It's something I have always teased him about. I don't think I'll be teasing him anymore.

My god this is the pitts. Its all horrific, but if the outcome is going to be what it might be why coud Jen not be one of the first identified instead of the last.

Its all so cruel, but obviously Jen is the name on this tragic list that, all of us here, we so did not want to see- at this point , if that is what is going to happen let them all have a peroid at the end of the sentence instead of a question mark.

When names are released it such an ambivalent and scary feeling -still holding out hope, while at the same time for Git and her loved ones let them move forward.

I cant let go of amensia until I am "forced" to- it might have happened to some

Thinking of you Git

Oh, gitana. I'm weeping as I type for your loss. Thoughts to you and yours, love to your brother.

#BREAKING: 10 more victims ID'd from #OaklandFire.

Em Bohlka - 33
Micah Danemayer - 28
Chelsea Dolan - 33
Justin Fritz - 29
Alex Ghassan - 35
Michela Gregory - 20
Edmund Lapine - 34
Jennifer Morris - 21
Benjamin Runnels - 32
Jennifer Kiyomi Taouye - 31

Does anyone know at this point in time how many have been recovered but not yet IDed.

Why is this guy not already arrested for manslaughter?

Or something let the store next door turn him in stealling there power - wish I could find out who to email the link from the power company with info to report.

I would assume the amount stolen , for the size of the place could take it to "arrestable" something.

This is so senseless and heartbreaking.

You and your family are in my thoughts, Gitana.

Love and Light to you. [emoji173]

:grouphug:

I agree with your assessment of Almena 100%.

More from the same article...

A neighbor noticed how neglected the children were and befriended the oldest, having her stay with them during the parties.

"We noticed, oh, my God, she was hungry!" Waukazoo said. When the girl took Waukazoo on a tour of the warehouse, Waukazoo saw that the place had no kitchen and that the family and tenants apparently shared one bathroom, where they used a hose to shower.

These poor kids. This daughter seems to be under his spell too. I have to ask if the neighbor called CPS.

Almena previously worked as a marijuana grower in Northern California's Mendocino County, Michael Allison said. Almena would make himself out to be the man in charge of his fellow pot workers and managed to avoid work, Allison said.

I would really like to know if Almena's time in Mendocino county coincided with the disappearance of any of the missing people in the area.

"He was able to cast a spell on someone in a weird way that I just do not understand," Allison said. He described his daughter as passive and easily swayed by Almena.

I certainly noticed the spell he cast on his FB followers who seemed to worship at his feet. Micah Allison being passive and easily swayed by Almena is clearly seen in her FB comments about him, and it explains allowing her children to live in squalor. Mind control? Drugs? Both?

He is a very dangerous man. Where was he Friday night? Was he on the outs with someone at the party? You know where I'm going with this...

http://www.ktvu.com/news/221789514-story

From day one I am interested in the "insurance" situation

speculation of course, but surprised all things considered, media has not began to look for this angle.

IMO, in this particular sitution, I do not think that even if some took note, the place itself, is not escapable.

I think , from what now know, if we had a little garbage fire in that place we could have serious injuries from an attempt to flee

I also kinda think if we took the fires blueprint (no sprinklers) and put it in a setting that met every code and exceeded that , the outcome might not be all that different.

The doormans account was unreal to me. From start to total involvement he said was about 15 seconds.

Almena told San Jose television station KNTV he didn't know the event was taking place, and he wasn't at the warehouse Friday night because he and his wife had decided to stay at a hotel because he was exhausted and their children had school.

Dude your kids were at a hotel cause the system said if you did not keep them away from the filty place they would take them again

lie lie lie -
http://www.wftv.com/news/recovery-of-oakland-warehouse-fire-victims-winds-down-investigation-looms/473489707

Just now local stating that 33 of 36 Ided and the three remaining will need other methods.

From day one I am interested in the "insurance" situation

speculation of course, but surprised all things considered, media has not began to look for this angle.

IMO, in this particular sitution, I do not think that even if some took note, the place itself, is not escapable.

I think , from what now know, if we had a little garbage fire in that place we could have serious injuries from an attempt to flee

I also kinda think if we took the fires blueprint (no sprinklers) and put it in a setting that met every code and exceeded that , the outcome might not be all that different.

The doormans account was unreal to me. From start to total involvement he said was about 15 seconds.

Almena told San Jose television station KNTV he didn't know the event was taking place, and he wasn't at the warehouse Friday night because he and his wife had decided to stay at a hotel because he was exhausted and their children had school.

Dude your kids were at a hotel cause the system said if you did not keep them away from the filty place they would take them again

lie lie lie -
http://www.wftv.com/news/recovery-of-oakland-warehouse-fire-victims-winds-down-investigation-looms/473489707

Just now local stating that 33 of 36 Ided and the three remaining will need other methods.

BBM

The kids had school Saturday?

My firefighter dad had me so paranoid when I was growing up that even as a teenager I would refuse to stay at a nightclub if I thought it was overcrowded or didn't have adequate emergency exits. It was pretty much a joke among my friends...I always had to take my own car in case I decided to leave early.

I'm still paranoid to this day. I travel some for work and the first thing I do when I check into my room is look for the emergency exits. I blame my dad for this. The man sent me off to college with my own personal smoke detector because he didn't trust the ones in the dorm. It's something I have always teased him about. I don't think I'll be teasing him anymore.

Well, that is the obvious solution, just don't go to these type of places. But I also understand that nightlife is an important part of many people's social lives. So that is not an option for everybody. For that reason these places must be designed for as much safety as possible. Including working fire alarms, fire suppression systems, and as many well marked exits as possible.

Almena just gave an odd interview on the Today Show
It should be on the NBC news site soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members