CA CA - Matthew Weaver, 21, Santa Monica Mountains, 10 Aug 2018 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Hi sorry not sure how I missed this post but we have a timeline, it needs to be updated but this is a general one.

Thank you for this. It is helpful.
Can anyone add to it? Such as dates clothing or items were found.
Thanks again.

Thinking of Matthew. And his family.

Hi All,

I just finished listening to the podcast and went ahead and reviewed the drone images. Attached are some of the things I saw which I hope might be helpful. I circled them in red. I have a bit of a background in image processing and applied that to this data set. If there are other images anyone might want me to review, let me know.

Thanks,
Justin

Attachments

• 20181104_SearchScan1_235-Paper-r.jpg
    20181104_SearchScan1_235-Paper-r.jpg
    303 KB · Views: 135
  • 20181104_SearchScan1_509-Wheels-r.jpg
    20181104_SearchScan1_509-Wheels-r.jpg
    284.3 KB · Views: 150
  • 20181104_SearchScan1_538-Junk-r.jpg
    20181104_SearchScan1_538-Junk-r.jpg
    287.4 KB · Views: 166
  • 20181104_SearchScan1_768-Several-Items-r.jpg
    20181104_SearchScan1_768-Several-Items-r.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 145
  • 20181104_SearchScan1_775_SomethingRed-r.jpg
    20181104_SearchScan1_775_SomethingRed-r.jpg
    309.5 KB · Views: 117
I’m not sure what exactly prompted this case to enter my mind today, but I often think about it and wonder what ever happened. Since I’m not quite as familiar with it, I can work on a timeline. I came here hoping the family had received at least some answers. I am so sorry to see that it’s still ongoing. I hope you guys get answers soon.

Matthew Weaver - 21 - Topanga, CA

NAMUS
Aerial Photos
Google Map with last-known locations and location of items found

8/9/18, 6:00 - 8:00 p.m. - MW believed to have visited place of employment in Sunland-Tujunga area and paid $400 by employer (Source: Timeline by MW sister)

8/9/18 - MW spends time with his father, MW Sr. (Source: The Acorn, 8/31/18; Timeline by MW sister)

8/9/18, 9:28 p.m. - MW picked up friend at her home in Chatsworth (Source: Timeline by MW sister)

8/10/18, 5:00 a.m. - MW drops friend off at her home in Chatsworth. According to a relative of MW, the friend later admitted to drug use (weed and cocaine) that night but had no further information to give regarding MW’s plans or intent (Source: Timeline by MW sister; See Thread 1, Page 28, Post #560, #592)

8/10/18, 5:15 a.m. - MW car on Mulholland Hwy. (Source: Timeline by MW sister)

8/10/18, 5:35 a.m. - MW car turns onto Stunt Rd. (Source: Timeline by MW sister)

8/10/18, 6:24-6:57 a.m. - Picture posted on MW Snapchat from Stunt Rd. & Saddle Peak Rd. Parking lot (Source: Timeline by MW sister)

8/10/18, 7:13 a.m. - MW car on Topanga Tower Motorway, dirt road not typically open to the public (Source: Timeline by MW sister)

8/10/18, 7:15 a.m. - Security camera captures a vehicle driving on Topanga Tower Motorway toward Rosas Overlook (Source: Timeline by MW sister)

8/10/18, 7:28 a.m. - Vehicle reaches end of Topanga Tower Motorway. (Source: Press Conference, 10/16/18)

8/10/18, 11:48 a.m. - Last outgoing call and text message sent from MW phone in area of Rosas overlook. KTLA5 quoted the message as saying: “Like some crazy is going onsh** is going on [sic].” “I jusst to talk while I have the chance [sic].” (Source: Timeline by MW sister; KTLA5, 10/16/18; See Thread 1, Page 34, Posts #679 & 685 for screenshot of text and Snapchat)

8/10/18, 9:30 p.m. - MW last seen in 2600 block of Stearns Street in Simi Valle. (Source: California News Wire Services; 8/27/18) **

8/10/18 - Hikers state they saw a man w/vehicle stuck in Rosas Overlook area and alerted authorities. (Source: KTLA5; 8/15/18)

8/10/18 - MW’s gray BMW found near Rosas Overlook on Topanga Lookout Trail. (Source: NamUs)

8/11/18, approx. 1:00 a.m. - Witness called 911 after hearing cry for help near Stunt and Shueren Rd. (Source: KCAL9, 8/30/18; Timeline by MW sister)

8/11/18, approx. 2:00 a.m. - First responders arrive and claim to have heard screams/cry for help. (Source: The Local Malibu; See Thread 1, Post #5)*

8/11/18, approx. 3:00 a.m. - MW car found with right front tire hanging over cliff. All windows up, doors locked. Keys, wallet, phone, and clothing not found. (Source: The Local Malibu; See Thread 1, Post #13; Fox11, 8/15/18)*

8/28/18 - LE search continues (Source: NBC LA, 8/28/18)

8/30/18 - LE search continues (Source: KTLA5, 8/30/18)

10/16/18, 10:00 a.m. - Press conference by MW immediately familiarize and Jayden Brant, private investigator hired by Weaver family. State surveillance footage in the area where MW’s car was found shows numerous people walking in and out of the area. $50k reward offered for information that leads to MW. In Q&A: No detail on 911 call. No cell phone activity or credit card activity after last call/text. Continuous video surveillance, but are looking for specific people on the 10th. Not releasing video or information at this time. MW knew the area and liked to drive around the area (Source: Press Conference, 10/16/18)

1/10/19 - MW family releases drone photos and request public’s help in reviewing photos for clues (Source: ABC7, 1/10/19)

1/20/19 - Hikers locate BMW keys approximately 25 feet from where vehicle was located. (Source: KCAL9, 2/22/19; See Thread 1, Page 46, Post #920)

1/30/19 - MW’s Angels hat and a shirt believed to belong to MW were also located in the same general area (Source: KCAL9, 2/22/19; See Thread 1, Page 46, Post #920

8/10/19 - Family and friends hold vigil for MW 1 year after he went missing (Source: KCAL9, 8/10/19)

*Malibu Local stories have been removed from their website, so I could not link directly to them. I linked back to the post originally referencing the article and tried to use other sources to verify information.
**NamUs and other information state MW was last seen at 9:30 on 8/10/18. However, the last call/text from his phone was around noon on 8/10 in the Rosas Overlook area. This makes me believe the earlier reports were inaccurate on the time he was last seen but included it to be safe.

ETA: Please let me know if there are dates that are missing.

I am attempting to download the photos and Google Earth Data package from the website, but does anyone know if the Google Earth data has been updated to show the location the keys, hat, and shirt were found? I can pull it from the Google map if I need to, I’m just hoping to get a starting point on where to start with going through the drone photos. I realize these have probably been combed through, but you never know.

Over the weekend, while working another case I had a brilliant idea that would make my drone prototype for penetrating tree canopies work. About 6 months ago, I used a

Over the weekend, while working another case I had a brilliant idea that would make my drone prototype for penetrating tree canopies work.
About 6 months ago, I used a DJI Phantom 3 advanced that had crashed and I removed the camera, 3d printed a mount, and conducted a test flight. It was a disaster due to the pendulum effect. Every movement of the drone would shift the weight of the camera, forcing the drone to become extremely unstable. It broke the mount within minutes.
On Friday, I was designing a gimbal for a glide-cam, 360 camera, 3rd person backpack when it dawned on me. This design would work for the drone canopy prototype.
This morning, I finished the gimbal attachment for the Phantom 3, and took it on its maiden flight. It worked AMAZING !!!
OekSnJT.jpg

oT7g56L.jpg

THIyFjh.jpg

This is truly a game changer for searching for missing people in rugged and terrain covered with thick vegetation. Pre-programmed flights can be uploaded to the drone, it will fly to the exact GPS coordinates, lower the 360 camera, pushing it threw the vegetation canopy.

I have been on many SAR's missions and the issue is manpower and with treacherous environments, it comes down to physical ability. This design allows anyone of any gender or physical ability to cover the same area that would take a 10 man team all day to search, in under 30 minutes from a safe location. The biggest benefit is that with a 360 camera, every angle is covered and recorded.

After a few more test, the step is to use it in the field at the overlook. The only issue with the prototype is, the drone and 360 camera used are only for proof of concept. The optimal drone would be a TYPHOON H and 360 camera would be Insta360 One X2.

When I have time I will share some footage I took of the test I conducted today.

Over the weekend, while working another case I had a brilliant idea that would make my drone prototype for penetrating tree canopies work.
About 6 months ago, I used a DJI Phantom 3 advanced that had crashed and I removed the camera, 3d printed a mount, and conducted a test flight. It was a disaster due to the pendulum effect. Every movement of the drone would shift the weight of the camera, forcing the drone to become extremely unstable. It broke the mount within minutes.
On Friday, I was designing a gimbal for a glide-cam, 360 camera, 3rd person backpack when it dawned on me. This design would work for the drone canopy prototype.
This morning, I finished the gimbal attachment for the Phantom 3, and took it on its maiden flight. It worked AMAZING !!!

This is truly a game changer for searching for missing people in rugged and terrain covered with thick vegetation. Pre-programmed flights can be uploaded to the drone, it will fly to the exact GPS coordinates, lower the 360 camera, pushing it threw the vegetation canopy.

I have been on many SAR's missions and the issue is manpower and with treacherous environments, it comes down to physical ability. This design allows anyone of any gender or physical ability to cover the same area that would take a 10 man team all day to search, in under 30 minutes from a safe location. The biggest benefit is that with a 360 camera, every angle is covered and recorded.

After a few more test, the step is to use it in the field at the overlook. The only issue with the prototype is, the drone and 360 camera used are only for proof of concept. The optimal drone would be a TYPHOON H and 360 camera would be Insta360 One X2.

When I have time I will share some footage I took of the test I conducted today.

RSBM, BBM

That is amazing! It's wonderful to see technology used in this way, and I sure appreciate being able to sit in the front row to learn about it.

Eight years of Dateline's Missing in America: 169 still missing

matthew_weaver_jr-.png

Matthew Weaver Jr., 21, was last seen in the early morning hours of August 10, 2018, near Malibu, California. He had hung out with a friend until around 4:30 a.m., and then drove to the Malibu Canyons after dropping the friend at her house. His car was found the next morning off a trail near Malibu. Since Matthew’s disappearance, authorities, friends, and family have conducted multiple searches for the missing young man, but nothing of significance has been found. Family is offering a $50,000 reward for information leading to Matthew’s whereabouts. If you have any information on Matthew’s case, please call the Los Angeles Police Department’s Missing Persons Unit at 213-996-1800. Anyone wishing to remain anonymous should call the Los Angeles Regional Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS or go to www.lacrimestoppers.org.

Eight years of Dateline's Missing in America: 169 still missing

matthew_weaver_jr-.png

Matthew Weaver Jr., 21, was last seen in the early morning hours of August 10, 2018, near Malibu, California. He had hung out with a friend until around 4:30 a.m., and then drove to the Malibu Canyons after dropping the friend at her house. His car was found the next morning off a trail near Malibu. Since Matthew’s disappearance, authorities, friends, and family have conducted multiple searches for the missing young man, but nothing of significance has been found. Family is offering a $50,000 reward for information leading to Matthew’s whereabouts. If you have any information on Matthew’s case, please call the Los Angeles Police Department’s Missing Persons Unit at 213-996-1800. Anyone wishing to remain anonymous should call the Los Angeles Regional Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS or go to www.lacrimestoppers.org.

This has been the case that I always have on my mind because it’s so baffling and makes no sense. Sending lots of love to his family.

I was just thinking out loud to myself. Apparently Matthew was not seen on the CCTV camera going back but his car was seen travelling past that camera (on the path where his car was found) travelling to where the car was stuck. So if that is so then wouldn't it be plausable that he only walked opposite of the camera then since, he wasn't seen going past it again. Maybe he heard something that made him nervous from the direction his car travelled so he walked opposite to get away from the sound he heard? I just find it surprising that he would not walk back the path he came from. Any ideas why he may have done that its puzzling me just like many other things in his disappearance. Did witnesses see him working to free his car?

Last edited:
I was just thinking out loud to myself. Apparently Matthew was not seen on the CCTV camera going back but his car was seen travelling past that camera (on the path where his car was found) travelling to where the car was stuck. So if that is so then wouldn't it be plausable that he only walked opposite of the camera then since, he wasn't seen going past it again. Maybe he heard something that made him nervous from the direction his car travelled so he walked opposite to get away from the sound he heard? I just find it surprising that he would not walk back the path he came from. Any ideas why he may have done that its puzzling me just like many other things in his disappearance. Did witnesses see him working to free his car?
This would seem logical, to walk back down the road after getting stuck. Maybe he’s nowhere near the area at all.

Some other things I find puzzling with Mattew's case got me wondering. Would he really be able to drive up that narrow rugged path without wrecking his tires if he was under the influence of any substance as mentioned before or even groggy and/or tired? I find that hard to believe that he could drive wihout damaging his car just until it got to the ledge before dangling. So IMO for that to happen he has to be coherent and aware. If he knows the area wouldn't he know that this path was going to end how it did and where it did? I may be wrong but can't this path be seen from Rosa's overlook? Wouldn't he already know? I can uderstand to a certain extent if he didn't know or hasn't seen this path before from another viewpoint. If he didn't know then maybe he thought mistakenly that the path would widen and lead to another viewpoint. But I don't think so because the gate is there for a reason.

Looking at some of the photos — there’s a lot of weird stuff in there. It’s hard to tell what’s a rock, etc, but definitely looks like some faces by this rock:

Attachments

• 5ED7D25F-8EE7-409F-B115-F1C6DDFA3F16.jpeg
    5ED7D25F-8EE7-409F-B115-F1C6DDFA3F16.jpeg
    167.2 KB · Views: 47
Looking at some of the photos — there’s a lot of weird stuff in there. It’s hard to tell what’s a rock, etc, but definitely looks like some faces by this rock:
I wouldn't be surprised if your observations are correct. People just hanging out at these odd places because that's what people do sometimes.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceciliaesquivel2000@yahoo
Back