CA CA - Matthew Weaver, 21, Santa Monica Mountains, 10 Aug 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you very much for posting the photos so everyone not local can see the terrain. It’s thick, it’s high, it’s impassible in spots. I wonder if LE was working with a metal detector? While a drone may be useful, (doing something is always better than doing nothing), as you can see the flora is different heights, different diameter, different density. All of which would make it difficult, if not impossible to utilize this equipment to search for MW.

Now you see why this canyon has been a dumping ground for bodies, weapons, evidence, etc. for decades.

Edit: On The Local Malibu’s FB page showing these photos, in the comment section, the family states they have used drones on the searches.

Dumping grounds fit for a murderer to delay their victims body from being found quickly, or better yet, never found at all. Its not only rich in brush, it looks equally dangerous. No thank you!

I'm a tad confused by the photos. Was the car found on the cliff at the end of the road?! I hope they are searching the area where the car was found. The fact the dogs only picked up his scent around the car and nowhere else indicates to me anyway, that he disappeared somewhere near there.

*modsnip* / quote non verified info

I know it has been over six weeks, but I really hope that someone comes forward with security footage that will help solve this mystery.

It wasn't until almost a month after Mollie Tibbetts disappeared that a neighbor provided the investigators with video from their home surveillance system that lead to the discovery of Mollie’s body and the arrest of the suspect.

Also, if were one of the area residents and owned security cams, I would probably be wondering what they mean by “(anything) suspicious” and what I should be looking for.

*modsnip / discussing non verified info

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a tad confused by the photos. Was the car found on the cliff at the end of the road?! I hope they are searching the area where the car was found. The fact the dogs only picked up his scent around the car and nowhere else indicates to me anyway, that he disappeared somewhere near there.

I'm just a civilian with no special knowledge of the capabilities of search dogs. Logic tells me that search dogs picked up Mr. Weaver's scent in the [immediate] area where his car was found because his scent was on/in the car. Of course - you'd expect that.

The fact that search dogs didn't pick up a scent trail leading away from the car tells me Weaver either (1) wasn't in the car when it was left at the Topanga Lookout and didn't walk away from it; or (2) an advanced technology that we mere mortals on earth don't understand teleported Weaver out of the car.

Last edited:
First off: apologies - I've been misspelling Scheuren Rd. in a zillion posts.

Surveillance video: It's absolutely worth asking an residents in the general vicinity of the Stunt /Scheuren / Saddle Peak Road intersection if they have any video but no one here should put too much hope in that. Most of the homes along these roads are set so far back from the street with such long driveways that surveillance video around the house wouldn't come close to showing the street. The only place where homes are close to the road is at the intersection of Stunt Road and Mulholland Highway. There are homes located on Mulholland that are closer to the street though, so that might be a possibility.

I'm just a civilian with no special knowledge of the capabilities of search dogs. Logic tells me that search dogs picked up Mr. Weaver's scent in the [immediate] area where his car was found because his scent was on/in the car. Of course - you'd expect that.

The fact that search dogs didn't pick up a scent trail leading away from the car tells me Weaver either (1) wasn't in the car when it was left at the Topanga Lookout and didn't walk away from it; or (2) an advanced technology that we mere mortals on earth don't understand teleported Weaver out of the car.
Or #3. He fell over the edge inadvertently or he purposely went over the edge where his car was found.

I'd be interested in knowing what his girlfriend had to say. If he dropped her at her home at 7:30a.m. where were they before that? Had they partied the entire night? Was any sleep involved?
Did they argue?

It worries me that this young man may have been awake all night. Maybe he was hung over. Did he leave the snap chat pics so people would know where to find him? What was the help he needed? Was it because he'd trashed
the underbelly of his car and the front fender on a route he shouldn't have been on?

The above are all suppositions on my part but I get a bad feeling about his state of mind.

Roxxi is it generally a safe area? I see all the reporting of the recent gun shots but half of them are unconfirmed. Are residents there on edge?

Ive always believed it to be a very safe area as the surrounding cities have little to no crime rate. But what weve been made to believe is obviously not reality. Honestlty, this community has been deceived and continues to be deceived as there has been limited coverage in regards to all this crazy stuff. Just barely found out about all the crime plaguing this area when i signed up with websleuths 2-3 weeks ago. The news doesnt air anything about it, thats for sure. From what I can see, there isnt much hype nor fear throughout the community, aside from the people living in close proximity to these incidents. No one has a clue whats really going on within walking distance of their homes.

I'd be interested in knowing what his girlfriend had to say. If he dropped her at her home at 7:30a.m. where were they before that? Had they partied the entire night? Was any sleep involved?
Did they argue?

It worries me that this young man may have been awake all night. Maybe he was hung over. Did he leave the snap chat pics so people would know where to find him? What was the help he needed? Was it because he'd trashed
the underbelly of his car and the front fender on a route he shouldn't have been on?

The above are all suppositions on my part but I get a bad feeling about his state of mind.

Thank you!!!! You took the questions right out of my mouth!!

100% agree I had no idea any of this was going on and I’m very close to where he went missing.
Ive always believed it to be a very safe area as the surrounding cities have little to no crime rate. But what weve been made to believe is obviously not reality. Honestlty, this community has been deceived and continues to be deceived as there has been limited coverage in regards to all this crazy stuff. Just barely found out about all the crime plaguing this area when i signed up with websleuths 2-3 weeks ago. The news doesnt air anything about it, thats for sure. From what I can see, there isnt much hype nor fear throughout the community, aside from the people living in close proximity to these incidents. No one has a clue whats really going on within walking distance of their homes.
%

Did they argue?

Folks: please bear in mind that the total distance between the overlook at the intersection of Stunt / Scheuren / Saddle Peak Rs. and the Topanga [Rosas] lookout is 1.2 miles. There's a bit of a up and down grade in the dirt road portion but it's not significant and the total distance isn't significant for a healthy young person.
  • If Matthew got his car to the lookout at the end of the road and it was too torn up to drive then he should have been able to walk out to the overlook for help. There's some traffic passing by all day.
  • If Matthew got his car to the lookout but was impaired or injured in some way and couldn't move from where the car was found then you sure would think he would have been found
  • If Matthew got his car to the lookout and tried, but failed to walk the entire 1.2 mile to the gate then you would think that (1) scent search dogs would have found evidence of that and (2) he would have been found.

100% agree I had no idea any of this was going on and I’m very close to where he went missing.

%

Thank goodness you agree. I was thinking I should find a way to be more informed on the current events happening around me... its not just me!!! Crime is a huge secret apparently.
LE and city officials must protect the exemplary reputation of the general area.

I say we should be informed for our own safety.

Did they argue?

I do too. It seems he wasnt in a good state of mind at all.

I notice in one of the last set of search photos, there's a deputy looking down into a deep dark hole that looks like maybe it used to be a mine shaft. I wonder if there are more around and if he could have fallen into something like that.

Or #3. He fell over the edge inadvertently or he purposely went over the edge where his car was found.

...But wouldnt that mean his scent would have been picked up over the edge of the outlook? And because the brush is so thick, if he had gone over, he wouldnt have fallen far. He would likely have been hung up in the brush/trees somewhere on the way down. Wouldnt the dogs indicate in some fashion that his scent went down instead of gone altogether? Im really not familiar with how these canine searches work but I would think that his scent wouldnt just disappear if he had indeed gone over the edge.

Im going to try to make it over there today or Wednesday to assist with the search if I get off from work on time. In the meanwhile, im messaging my cousin whom owns a drone to attend with me. Hopefully, its not too short of notice and he is available to help out this evening.

Clearly the vehicle's shadow is there, but I'm talking about that very dark shadow to the searcher's left. It might be the dense shadow under the thick brush, or maybe something deeper.

In any case something like a piece of evidence would be pretty hard to see in that kind of thick shadow.

...But wouldnt that mean his scent would have been picked up over the edge of the outlook? And because the brush is so thick, if he had gone over, he wouldnt have fallen far. He would likely have been hung up in the brush/trees somewhere on the way down. Wouldnt the dogs indicate in some fashion that his scent went down instead of gone altogether? Im really not familiar with how these canine searches work but I would think that his scent wouldnt just disappear if he had indeed gone over the edge.
I can't get a good visual of exactly where the car was found. I've seen many photos and I always thought it was at the top of the graffiti cliff.

I am glad you are going to help search. Maybe you can get some pics of where the car actually was and the terrain or drop off right near it.

If he jumped (sorry to be graphic) and he jumped far enough away from the edge....would the dogs have picked up the scent? If there is a drop off near the car where there wasn't enough brush to catch him, is it possible he fell farther down the cliff? Perhaps he broke his leg or was hurt when he went over (either by accident, pushed or voluntarily) and couldn't make his way back up and his only resource was to yell for help.

How long could he have survived in the elements there?

I can't get a good visual of exactly where the car was found. I've seen many photos and I always thought it was at the top of the graffiti cliff.
RSBM for focus.

For some reason, I had this idea that Matthew’s car was found hanging over the edge of the concrete platform, but apparently not.

*modsnip*/ discussing info

LAPD’s news release reads “His vehicle was located on August 11, 2018.
It had been abandoned on the Topanga Tower Motorway, near Rosas Overlook, and above the Backbone Trail and Hondo Canyon areas.” (BBM)
Missing 21-Year-Old Male NR18227dm - Los Angeles Police Department

This 2.5-minute long drone footage does a great job of showing what the trail looks like at its far end, IMO:

Somewhat off topic, but I just came across a story about a filmmaker, who, with help from friends, lugged an upright piano to the platform:

“Michael Faner and his friends hauled the heavy instrument up a one-mile stretch to reach the Topanga Lookout.

Fane, a filmmaker, told Eyewitness News that it took the group about an hour to get the upright piano up the steep terrain Tuesday afternoon. Since then, the piano has attracted dozens of hikers wanting their turn on the instrument.

[SBM]

Faner says teamwork was key to get the hefty piano up on the graffiti-covered ledge.

‘The very last part of the hike, there was a very steep incline about 15-20 feet, and it just took a bunch of us to push and pull at the same time,’ Faner said.”
Piano atop Santa Monica Mountains was for music video

Here are some photos that accompany the article:
PHOTOS: Piano sits atop Santa Monica Mountains

I actually came across one of the pictures of the piano atop the lookout first and assumed that they had driven it up to the location. Then to realize they actually hauled it up there ....

So why would anyone drive up the trail?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members