CA CA - Matthew Weaver, 21, Santa Monica Mountains, 10 Aug 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am assuming that LE and/or family have collected ping or call records from Matthew's phone.
This could confirm his location and who he might have been in contact with before going missing.
Its possible that Matthew might have met with foul play in another location and someone else drove his car to the location where it was found. This case is very confusing to me.

There are a couple of good photos of the overlook and the surrounding terrain here - scroll down to #5 on the list, near the bottom of the page

Five fire lookouts with the best views of southern California

I can see why this overlook spot seems to be a popular spot to check out! What a view.

There’s a Yelp page titled “Topanga Lookout Trail” that I believe is this location. Lots of photos there, as well. (I don’t know if it’s ok to link.) One is even of Matthew’s Missing Person Poster and car.

Sure is a lot of graffiti there—some of it is actually very artistic, though. I’m wondering if those yellow X’s all over Matthew’s car was done by one of these people who come up there just to leave their spray paint marks. If they could only find the person(s) who did that...if not involved with his disappearance, they still could help with a timeline.

I'm disappointed this trail seems to have gone cold. It is still unclear to me where his car was left - clearly not on the actual Rosas Overlook - as its doesn't seem accessible to cars; where the hikers saw him stuck; where the last phone ping was registered and where the cries for help were heard.

Its a shame there isn't more info available about him - how his day was spent and how he liked to spend his time generally - was he a hiker, what he did for work, who he lived with, who raised the alarm that he was missing and whether he was a pot smoker, drug dealer or regularly went to Rosas overlook to chill. (At night?!)

It doesn't really seem like LE have sought much help from the public or published much info to engage their interest (unless I'm missing something - I cant access all local media as I'm in the UK so havent seen the pictures of the car for instance).

There's a little more about Matthew here:

Young man vanishes: Simi Valley native is missing

The younger Weaver, a native of Simi who recently moved to Granada Hills, also has a passion for rescuing animals and is extremely close with his brother, 17, and his sisters, ages 14 and 24.

Described as a 5-foot-9 white male weighing 140 pounds with brown hair and brown eyes, Matthew Jr. was last seen Aug. 10 around 9:30 p.m. in the 2600 block of Stearns Street, according to the Los Angeles Police Department.

His car was found the next day near the Rosas Overlook, above the Backbone Trail and Hondo Canyon. Malibu Search and Rescue has conducted several searches for Matthew Jr. since he was reported missing. Air support and dogs have been used, but nothing has turned up.

David Katz, a 28-year volunteer with the rescue group, has been out twice looking for the missing man.

“We just don’t know what happened to him, and there’s no workable information to go off right now,” Katz said. “But if we do get something, we’ll definitely be back out there.”

LAPD spokesman Officer Tony Im said Wednesday there are no developments in the case. It’s unknown if foul play was involved.

Given the recent shootings and bodies found in Malibu Canyon, Matthew Jr.’s family questions whether there’s a connection.

So sorry for his family.

I hope that LAPD - which has jurisdiction in Topanga - is communicating/sharing info with LASD and other agencies involved in the Malibu area incidents.

https://mynewsla.com/crime/2018/08/31/lapd-seeks-publics-help-to-find-missing-21-year-old-man/
LAPD Officer Rosario Herrera told City News Service that no new information has surfaced about the whereabouts of Weaver, who is white, 5 feet 9 and about 140 pounds, with brown hair and brown eyes.

Weaver had just moved to Granada Hills shortly before his disappearance. His family appealed for help Friday to find the missing man.

“Matthew would never torture his brother and sister by disappearing like this. Please help us find him,” Brooke Tipton, Weaver’s stepmother, told reporters.

I wondered about hiking at night, and checked out the moon phase. There goes that idea--it was extreme dark-of-the-moon--only 1% illumination. If it'd been a full moon, I could believe that someone would think that a nighttime hike was fun.

Has there been any attempt at using dogs?

I don’t really see many houses where he went missing. How far can you hear a person screaming? Maybe he was with a group of friends and they went to tag or paint in the rocks and he fell and his friends panicked and left him? Maybe tried to push the car over and couldn’t move it? So strange there isn’t more information on this. I would think if something happened to him he would be in that general area. I would go through his phone records to see who he was last texting or talking with. I would assume he had to be with someone.

I went on Instagram and searched #rosasoverlook. It seems like a really popular spot and partying at night. High traffic area. On August 12th there were people there for a meteor shower. In the pictures you can see it’s a Streep drop off that platform. Very easy for someone to fall off.

Mystery Deepens Surrounding Missing Simi Valley Man Last Seen In Malibu

They did later find Weaver’s grey BMW, left behind up a remote trail.

“Why he would go down this road is beyond me,” [his stepmother] says.

“At this point we know something happened to him. or he’d be around,” [his stepmother] says.

Weaver’s family says he often drove to Malibu for fun but they have no idea why he would have ever gotten out of his car.

What kind of a bmw did He have? Does anyone know the make?

I notice that there are different car groups that go around that area. I’m not sure if he was into cars or if it could be related. I’m looking at that angle because his car was trashed. I’m also trying to think who he could have gone there with. I’m new to the case so sorry if I am posting a lot. I’m just shocked there has been no updates for awhile.

Weaver was last seen Aug. 10 near a hiking trail at Stunt and Saddle Peak Roads.

Was Weaver seen in or outside his car and was anyone or others with him during this sighting and what was the distance to where his car was found. It appears that Matthew's BMW was a recent model so I am curious if it had a GPS system or some type of tracking/blackbox unit installed on it so as to track his movements that night such as any detours or prolonged stops to his destination.

In my post#48 I discussed the lack of cell phone information which is still the situation which I find odd but I guess there could be legal reasons for the delay but its been 20 days now.

Do any locals know if this gate is normally locked? I'm wondering how the car drove past it.

View attachment 145048

View attachment 145050

View attachment 145049

[Images taken from video at following link: Mystery Deepens Surrounding Missing Simi Valley Man Last Seen In Malibu]

I wonder if it was left open that night or how easy it is to break? There doesn’t seem to be any other road or way around it. I wish his family would release more information like who he was with that night or who he usually goes to Malibu with or if his car was found like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grumpie13