CA CA - Matthew Weaver, 21, Santa Monica Mountains, 10 Aug 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
So this article from the body found says skeletal remains. So it’s been there awhile. I should post this in the Malibu thread. To much in this area going on.

This would be a body dump. It's just off the 101 freeway, which makes it a convenient spot to leave a murder victim.

Body dumps have been going on in the area for a long time. Almost all of these are said to be 'gang-related', although in LASD-speak, that also means 'don't expect us to do anything about it'.

This summer, even with alleged increased patrolling by LASD in the Malibu Creek State Park/Agoura/Calabasas area, bodies are still being dumped. That doesn't say much for the increased patrolling.

Just for context, I'm posting this history primer from the Topanga news outlet:

Murder in the mountains

There's one notable murder missing here, the 1979 murder of German teenager Marcus Grabs by the 'Freeway Killer' William Bonin. His body was dumped in the Malibu Canyon/Las Virgenes area, basically the same area as the current vehicle shootings near Malibu Creek State Park.

This is country that gets rugged and isolated very quickly, despite its proximity to a major metropolitan sprawl.

"Matthew Weaver was last seen at the Rosas Overlook where he apparently had driven his vehicle.

Hikers said they saw a man who was stuck in the area in his vehicle and they alerted authorities. Weaver, however, was not found in the area after a search.

Another search was conducted on Monday, to no avail, officials at the Los Hills Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department station told KTLA."

Authorities Search for Missing Granada Hills Man Last Seen in Topanga Area of Santa Monica Mountains
"Matthew Weaver was last seen at the Rosas Overlook where he apparently had driven his vehicle.

Hikers said they saw a man who was stuck in the area in his vehicle and they alerted authorities. Weaver, however, was not found in the area after a search.

Another search was conducted on Monday, to no avail, officials at the Los Hills Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department station told KTLA."

Authorities Search for Missing Granada Hills Man Last Seen in Topanga Area of Santa Monica Mountains

I am new here so please bear with me as I figure out the posting etiquette.

*modsnip*
Link to TOS
Terms of Service , The Rules & Copyright
No information without a msm or le source if not VI
Verification Process for Professional or Insider Posters
All not verified information will be removed as soon as possible and are not to be discussed.

Last edited by a moderator:
In the update #3 on the page, there is a photo of the car being towed. It looks trashed; the front bumper is missing, and big yellow Xs have been spray-painted all over it.

(The link to the is in the article Suglo posted above.)
If you actually hike the trail that his car drove up you would see that his cars under carriage and bumper/fenders would have been destroyed. It wa

If you actually hike the trail that his car drove up you would see that his cars under carriage and bumper/fenders would have been destroyed. It wa

MalibuBarbie79, it does appear the front bumper is missing or at least damaged. Are you suggesting that Matthew's car entered the trail from another location maybe crashed from surface street to its resting place.

*modsnip*/ All not verified information will be removed as soon as possible and are not to be discussed.

Its been more than a month since Matthew went missing but have not seen any articles in regards to cell phone information from Matthews phone such as ping data or call records.

In the update #3 on the page, there is a photo of the car being towed. It looks trashed; the front bumper is missing, and big yellow Xs have been spray-painted all over it.

(The link to the is in the article Suglo posted above.)
When vehicles sit unattended, others will sometimes take anything of value and vandalize them. Imo

*modsnip* not verified information.

Maybe you can clear this up...

The Local reported the following:

Lost Hills Sheriff Department and Search and Rescue responded to the scene with multiple air and canine support as well as infrared technology. According to Matthew Sr., canines did pick up a scent but lost it before they reached the road. Scent dogs and cadaver dogs have been used in the search (the latter on the Monday following Weaver’s disappearance). Search and Rescue including Air Rescue 5 searched Backbone Trail twice.

Matthew’s last SnapChat was in this general location on August 10th, a Friday, which is consistent with other crimes in the area.

So if the above is correct, his last Snapchat placed him in the Topanga overlook area in which his vehicle was found.

That said, the Local's reporting lacks clarity - what exactly do they mean by 'consistent with other crimes'?

If the Local is correct about the Snapchat, this means the last known confirmed sighting of MW is at the InNOut in Simi with the unidentified female passenger. But then there's the Snap that placed him at the Topanga location later that night.

MalibuBarbie79, can you clarify or confirm any of the above?
*modnote* not a verified insider, can not clarify /confirm

I felt compelled to create an account after reading through this entire thread and I offer a fresh perspective.
First off I am from Simi, and work in Calabasas off of Las Virgenes. I don't know Matt personally but grew up in all of the surrounding areas. The In N Out referenced (on Stearns) is a very common hangout spot—it's just about the only hangout spot as there is nothing to do in Simi.
Oftentimes as a young adult(highschool/college aged with free summers) at night it wouldn't be uncommon for friends to go the helicopter pad (up Tapo Street) to hang out drink, smoke pot, etc. It was a short hike up an access road at the top of a hill. Pretty harmless fun. I don't know Rosas Point where Matt disappeared but it reminded me of the helicopter pad. Combined with the grafiti and what others said, it surely was a hangout spot for youth to drink/do drugs/grafiti etc. and was very well known. The main difference is that Rosas Point looked almost impossible to access, especially at night and with a small car! I find it hard to believe this kid would have driven out there all alone, in pitch black darkness, on a narrow hiking trail not meant for driving.

But he must have, and there must have been no one else at Rosas Point that night.

His keys/wallet/personal belongings are missing which tells me they are still on his person. Matt had a history of "going out and getting away" in Malibu. Maybe this was a spot where he would go to reflect and think. Or maybe he had never been to this particular spot before, GPS'd it, got to a 'dirt road' (the hiking trail) and continued to cautiously proceed over the bumps and gravel until he got to Rosas Point. He could have carefully gotten out of his car checked out the view and reflected for a bit. Then he could have gone back to his car and slipped and fallen down the steep mountain to his doom. He'd scream cries for help for hours which would echo off of the quiet night mountains. Local residents could hear the bellowing screams. Law enforcement's response time was slow but this area is pretty remote and takes a while to navigate, and the call itself would have been lower priority with seemingly less urgency (hindsight tells us different obviously). The police also would have responded to the house that made the call. The trail and Rosas point itself are VERY remote. So they could have heard the screams from quite a distance away. They too were unable to locate Matthew's position in the pitch black, hard to navigate terrain. The time ticked and unfortunately Matthew could have succumb to his wounds.

That story makes sense if he was alone and no one else was at Rosas point, but what if he wasn't alone or there were others at Rosas Point?

We need to know where/when the spray paint came from.

Was it something law enforcement, or someone else put on after they found his car?
Or did the spray painting take place that night by other individuals?
That shouldn't be hard to obtain information and then opens up the story to a lot more speculation about other suspects, random people that were there that could have harmed him, etc.

I felt compelled to create an account after reading through this entire thread and I offer a fresh perspective.
First off I am from Simi, and work in Calabasas off of Las Virgenes. I don't know Matt personally but grew up in all of the surrounding areas. The In N Out referenced (on Stearns) is a very common hangout spot—it's just about the only hangout spot as there is nothing to do in Simi.
Oftentimes as a young adult(highschool/college aged with free summers) at night it wouldn't be uncommon for friends to go the helicopter pad (up Tapo Street) to hang out drink, smoke pot, etc. It was a short hike up an access road at the top of a hill. Pretty harmless fun. I don't know Rosas Point where Matt disappeared but it reminded me of the helicopter pad. Combined with the grafiti and what others said, it surely was a hangout spot for youth to drink/do drugs/grafiti etc. and was very well known. The main difference is that Rosas Point looked almost impossible to access, especially at night and with a small car! I find it hard to believe this kid would have driven out there all alone, in pitch black darkness, on a narrow hiking trail not meant for driving.

But he must have, and there must have been no one else at Rosas Point that night.

His keys/wallet/personal belongings are missing which tells me they are still on his person. Matt had a history of "going out and getting away" in Malibu. Maybe this was a spot where he would go to reflect and think. Or maybe he had never been to this particular spot before, GPS'd it, got to a 'dirt road' (the hiking trail) and continued to cautiously proceed over the bumps and gravel until he got to Rosas Point. He could have carefully gotten out of his car checked out the view and reflected for a bit. Then he could have gone back to his car and slipped and fallen down the steep mountain to his doom. He'd scream cries for help for hours which would echo off of the quiet night mountains. Local residents could hear the bellowing screams. Law enforcement's response time was slow but this area is pretty remote and takes a while to navigate, and the call itself would have been lower priority with seemingly less urgency (hindsight tells us different obviously). The police also would have responded to the house that made the call. The trail and Rosas point itself are VERY remote. So they could have heard the screams from quite a distance away. They too were unable to locate Matthew's position in the pitch black, hard to navigate terrain. The time ticked and unfortunately Matthew could have succumb to his wounds.

That story makes sense if he was alone and no one else was at Rosas point, but what if he wasn't alone or there were others at Rosas Point?

Was it something law enforcement, or someone else put on after they found his car?
That shouldn't be hard to obtain information and then opens up the story to a lot more speculation about other suspects, random people that were there that could have harmed him, etc.

Welcome! I totally agree about the spray paint! The other thing we have no information about is his phone and whether it pinged in the area.

The fact that his car was found locked (per his family) bugs me too. If he drove his car up there just to hang out/clear his head/whatever, it seems unnecessary to lock the vehicle unless he was leaving the immediate area. Granted, it could be force of habit, or even an automated feature of the car.

Very great post! My thoughts exactly. I saw in the Malibu search and rescue page from the day his car was found someone asked where those X’s came from and no one answered. I wonder if there is more to them? Maybe part of investigation? I can’t believe it’s been so long. I keep looking at google maps and the surrounding areas are so steep and so plush he could be somewhere there. It doesn’t seem like they searched long.

I dont believe he was alone, but im not too sure he was ever even there. He could have met with foul play elsewhere and this was where they dumped his car. Media led everyone to believe he was a lost hiker, and maybe that was the idea... To throw everyone off so he may never be found at all. Just speculating. Im wondering about where he recently moved to, in Granada. Wonder what the situation was there, if any? Maybe Matthew never made it to Rosas Point, or if he did, maybe he was taken from this location and his car left behind. The media has been giving so much incorrect information, dont really know what to believe anymore. And there was never any extensive searches done on or the day after he went missing. That didnt take place for nearly a week later unfortunately.

Greetings: I live close to the place where Weaver's car was found and have hiked that area for years. I have NO sources of information beyond the news reports linked on this site and on the site. I walked the Topanga Lookout Trail on 9/11/18 to refresh my memory about the site.

(1) The spray paint on Weaver's car may - I emphasize may - have been put there by Search & Rescue. Cars aren't always winched out of canyons in the Santa Monica Mountains after accidents - sometimes it doesn't make sense. Therefore SAR always marks abandoned cars they've search so if they get a call about a vehicle in the future they know it's not a new accident. Note: the folks who have painted the rocks around the lookout seem to be far more artistic and creative than just painting an "X" on something so my money is on SAR.

(2) There is only one way for a vehicle bigger than a bicycle to get to the Topanga (or Rosas) overlook and that is for it to be driven there through the gate, down an asphalt roadway that's about half a mile long and then down another half mile or so on a rough, rocky dirt fire road. MalibuBarbie79 has reported that that gate has been left open in the past. I can report it was locked on 9/11/18.

Note: I do not think it's possible for a couple of people to have pushed the car from the overlook where Stunt, Saddle Peak and Scheurn roads connect all the way down the Rosas overlook. If the gate was open then 3-4 people might have been able to push the car up the asphalt portion of the Topanga Tower Motorway but there’s a bit of a hill that has to be overcome once it turns to a dirt fire road. I honestly think it would take a football team to push a car over that hill and down to the overlook.

As for driving down the dirt fire road: It would have to be done very slowly to avoid the ruts and rocks in the road.

(3). I’m completely unclear about whether it’s confirmed that Mr. Weaver sent a Snap Chat from the area of the overlook at the intersection of Stunt, Saddle Peak and Scheurn. If he did not then I think it’s a big mistake to assume that Weaver even came to the Calabasas/Malibu area and/or was involved in leaving his car at the Topanga [Rosas] Overlook.

If there was no Snap Chat and there’s no evidence Weaver was in the area then I think it’s most likely that he was the victim of foul play elsewhere and his car was driven to the lookout and dumped. I suspect someone drove Weaver’s car as far as possible, got out and locked it, and threw the keys as far into the brush as possible. [And if that’s the case those keys will never be found.]

(4) What about the scream someone reported? Dunno. Could have Weaver, could have been anyone. The hillsides sloping down from the Stunt/Saddle Peak/Scheurn Road intersection are steep and covered in brush and trees that are 5-7’ high. Extremely difficult to search because you’d have to be on ropes rappelling down the slopes to cover all the ground thoroughly

Greetings: I live close to the place where Weaver's car was found and have hiked that area for years. I have NO sources of information beyond the news reports linked on this site and on the site. I walked the Topanga Lookout Trail on 9/11/18 to refresh my memory about the site.

(1) The spray paint on Weaver's car may - I emphasize may - have been put there by Search & Rescue. Cars aren't always winched out of canyons in the Santa Monica Mountains after accidents - sometimes it doesn't make sense. Therefore SAR always marks abandoned cars they've search so if they get a call about a vehicle in the future they know it's not a new accident. Note: the folks who have painted the rocks around the lookout seem to be far more artistic and creative than just painting an "X" on something so my money is on SAR.

(2) There is only one way for a vehicle bigger than a bicycle to get to the Topanga (or Rosas) overlook and that is for it to be driven there through the gate, down an asphalt roadway that's about half a mile long and then down another half mile or so on a rough, rocky dirt fire road. MalibuBarbie79 has reported that that gate has been left open in the past. I can report it was locked on 9/11/18.

Note: I do not think it's possible for a couple of people to have pushed the car from the overlook where Stunt, Saddle Peak and Scheurn roads connect all the way down the Rosas overlook. If the gate was open then 3-4 people might have been able to push the car up the asphalt portion of the Topanga Tower Motorway but there’s a bit of a hill that has to be overcome once it turns to a dirt fire road. I honestly think it would take a football team to push a car over that hill and down to the overlook.

As for driving down the dirt fire road: It would have to be done very slowly to avoid the ruts and rocks in the road.

(3). I’m completely unclear about whether it’s confirmed that Mr. Weaver sent a Snap Chat from the area of the overlook at the intersection of Stunt, Saddle Peak and Scheurn. If he did not then I think it’s a big mistake to assume that Weaver even came to the Calabasas/Malibu area and/or was involved in leaving his car at the Topanga [Rosas] Overlook.

If there was no Snap Chat and there’s no evidence Weaver was in the area then I think it’s most likely that he was the victim of foul play elsewhere and his car was driven to the lookout and dumped. I suspect someone drove Weaver’s car as far as possible, got out and locked it, and threw the keys as far into the brush as possible. [And if that’s the case those keys will never be found.]

(4) What about the scream someone reported? Dunno. Could have Weaver, could have been anyone. The hillsides sloping down from the Stunt/Saddle Peak/Scheurn Road intersection are steep and covered in brush and trees that are 5-7’ high. Extremely difficult to search because you’d have to be on ropes rappelling down the slopes to cover all the ground thoroughly

I agree that he may never have been there at all. Its very strange that he has not been found yet, even after all those "so-called searches" were performed. They werent. Supposedly, the search dogs picked up his scent but immediately lost it. Maybe because his car was there but he was not.
Perhaps he did visit that In n Out in Simi Valley after all. And if so, there was reportedly an unknown female riding in the passenger seat, which means he wasnt alone around the time he went missing. I want to know where all this information is coming from and why its being mentioned in the media if it hasnt proven credible? Who is telling the media this stuff? Most importantly, if this is factual, who is the female that was with him that night? This stuff needs to be considered and examined. Doesnt seem anything has been investigated. Just a lot of mouths running, assumptions and the media documenting it. So much discrepancy in all the articles, its very difficult to make sense of any of it.

Hi L7335. I’ve never been there but is it possible he went up there maybe for the first time and put it in his GPS and the gate was open so he continued up the road not knowing it wasn’t a road? I’ve only seen it from google maps but I’d imagine it’s not big enough to make a u-turn?

Was there a place to make a U turn? If he continued up and realized it wasn’t safe could you back out of the trail easy? How wide is the road?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
curiousXladybug99