CA CA - Michael Lawrence Mondini, 22, San Fransisco, 1979

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
It would be nice to know what his living arrangements were. Did he rented his own apartment, did he live in with a friend/acquaintance? In the Jenna van Gelderen case f.i. it turned out her living at an address was nothing more then a matras, some blankets and a suitcase with her personal belongings, in an mostly empty room, rented out by a "friend".

I don't think the scooter was planted at the airport. He left it there to travel to? Maybe he was traveling light and just brought the minimum of luggage with him. Not sure why he chose to take a scooter instead of public transport though. What could be the reason? Maybe taking public transport would take much longer to get there.

Is there any way to find out what he left behind on the last known address? Does the cousin know the friends name and was he able to get a hold of him?

These are all great questions. I will try to get answers from his sisters. As you might expect, memories are fuzzy and inconsistent so many years later. Also his parents are both deceased now. His father tried to report him missing within a year or two but was given the “adults are allowed to disappear” line. So an actual police report didn’t get made until recently in order to get him into NamUS. Not much for the police to go on at this point.

I’m not clear on the exact timing of event — whether anybody knows if he actually made it back to SF on that trip or not, or possibly flew out again. I also don’t know if possessions were left in the apartment. He had been staying with his parents in Utah for an extended period of time (weeks? months?) before deciding to return to SF.

The “chemical company” thing seems strange to me. He previously worked in jobs as a waiter at restaurants and at a pastry shop.

I don’t know what to make of the 1995 record for Dallas. He was very close with his mother and sisters and nobody heard from him after 1985. He always would call his mother when he arrived safely from a trip, but he didn’t on this particular flight either. As best as I can tell, his SSN has not been used, nor has he had a driver’s license under his name since 1984.

Last edited:
Hey @johniac thank you for the info, yes please do see what else you can find out and let us know.
It would be interesting to know if anyone ever collected his possessions, who the friend was he was living with and if anyone knew whether he'd left again and taken a flight to an, as yet, unknown location.
As he had been staying with his parents for a while I'm guessing he probably had a fair amount of luggage on that flight back, I wonder if that ever made it back to where he was staying in San Francisco?and if not, where?

The chemical company job, I agree it is strange if he had no background in this. I'm wondering what job for a chemical company would require lots travel too?

Look forward to hearing what you learn.

But if he did make it back home, it’s hard to understand why the scooter being left at the airport is a part of the story from the cousin.
I think it's relevant because it would suggest that after he made it home and called his mom to tell her he'd be traveling, he either went back to the airport to fly somewhere or his scooter ended up there some other way.

I, too, am wondering if his belongings were left in the apartment.

@johniac Is it correct that he lived in SF, went to Utah, staying with his parents, had arguments with his father, left to SF, called his mother telling her he had a new job that needed traveling and from there he supposedly took a plain to Las Vegas, leaving the scooter behind on the SF airport? Because that sounds like the most logical narrative.

This is pure conjecture but a scenario which occurs to me is that perhaps he told his mother 'good news' about a new job that would involve travel to assuage her worries for a while and let their last conversation be a positive one before quietly cutting contact, doing so because he wished to protect her from what would happen next. That might be an intention to harm himself (some suicides involve considerable effort to remain anonymous eg Lyle Stevik and Mary Anderson) or possibly, given the time period, an HIV/AIDS diagnosis.
Is it known what the huge argument with his father was about? Perhaps that could give some idea of what his state of mind and motivations might have been?

Since this was before cell phones, I'd assume he contacted his mother from a hotel or pay phone before boarding his flight to San Francisco. It seems to me he must have gotten to San Francisco and then maybe he was too busy to contact her before something bad happened. The friend who claimed his scooter was left at the airport might be suspicious. Perhaps he lived with the friend? Maybe he was behind on rent to the friend? Or the friend didn't like him being gone to Utah which might mean he wasn't paying rent or as much rent? Just guesses.

As for his new job, maybe he got a sales position with a chemical company that would require traveling. It's odd he didn't call his mother again though when he got to SF to tell her he was leaving soon to travel for his new job if that is why his scooter was left at the airport. Just a lot of questions..

It is too bad the police didn't help with his father's trying to file a missing person report. Unfortunately, that happened all too often then.

Thank you all for you help. Mike lived in San Francisco. Last known address was 3410 22nd St, Apt 1. He was born in Oct 1957. The photo is from the early 1980s. He was last heard from in early January 1985 when he called his mother saying that he had gotten a job with a chemical company and would be traveling. He was last seen shortly before that, when he got on a flight from Las Vegas to San Francisco, after having a big argument with his father. A friend in San Francisco supposedly found Mike’s motor scooter abandoned at the San Francisco airport.

I’ve looked into the Las Vegas Desert Inn Rd address before and that appears to be a red herring. One of his sisters lived there and apparently used Mike’s SSN once, and so it gets picked up in public records.

Sometime in the 1990s, the Salvation Army tried to locate him and could not, but they reported that he had learned he was in Dallas, Texas in December, 1987. They did not provide any other details, or the source of the information, an

These are all great questions. I will try to get answers from his sisters. As you might expect, memories are fuzzy and inconsistent so many years later. Also his parents are both deceased now. His father tried to report him missing within a year or two but was given the “adults are allowed to disappear” line. So an actual police report didn’t get made until recently in order to get him into NamUS. Not much for the police to go on at this point.

I’m not clear on the exact timing of event — whether anybody knows if he actually made it back to SF on that trip or not, or possibly flew out again. I also don’t know if possessions were left in the apartment. He had been staying with his parents in Utah for an extended period of time (weeks? months?) before deciding to return to SF.

The “chemical company” thing seems strange to me. He previously worked in jobs as a waiter at restaurants and at a pastry shop.

I don’t know what to make of the 1995 record for Dallas. He was very close with his mother and sisters and nobody heard from him after 1985. He always would call his mother when he arrived safely from a trip, but he didn’t on this particular flight either. As best as I can tell, his SSN has not been used, nor has he had a driver’s license under his name since 1984.
Hi John, I first would like to say how truly sorry I am for the lack of effort made to find your cousin due to the fact they believed he left on his own accord. I wanted to let you know that I filed an FOIA regarding his disappearance this morning and hopefully it will be accepted. I stressed the importance of you still searching for him and that the release of the case files can't jeopardize any on going investigation as they allowed his case to go cold. I will post anything I receive back on this thread. Hope to have good news soon!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
omnia
Back