Still Missing CA - Michaela Garecht, 9, Hayward, 19 Nov 1988 *ARREST*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Ok, bear with me here....

1967: Pontarelli has first kidnapping arrest/shootout with police in Washington state. Never goes to prison, skips town for Chicago (where his family lives)

1971- arrested in San Bernadino, CA for kidnapping/raping 15 year old girl that he kidnapped from her friend's home, shooting the parents. Kept the girl for two days before police found them and talked him down. Goes to federal prison in CA where he meets and befriends a man named Larry Fassler.

Larry Fassler, in the late 60's, was known as the "king of smugglers" by U.S. Customs office in Tuscon, AZ. His planes flew at least 3 times a weeks carrying contraband (known to be toiletries, tvs, radios, etc.) to Mexico and bringing drugs back to US. His route was Culiacan, Mexico to Tucson, AZ to San Fran, CA. He was arrested for smuggling and for his part of murdering a fellow smuggler who double crossed him. He was convicted only for the smuggling part, although the body of the former partner was found later.

Marvin (and apparently Larry Fassler) is released from prison sometime around 79-80 from what I can piece together.

1982: Tricia Kellet is kidnapped from Chicago. By all accounts, Pontarelli was at least one of the perps involved (some accounts say there were two men). All three child witnesses identified him and this was confirmed with a witness recollection of the car and license plate (beat up four-door 69 model sedan). Police, from the beginning, suspect she has been kidnapped for child prostitution/*advertiser censored* purposes. It is revealed that Pontarelli has been giving the children drugs and shooting *advertiser censored* of them. A few weeks later, all witness children's parents are paid off with fancy new cars so they decide not to testify against him and all charges are dropped six months later. It appears that Pontarelli flees back to CA/AZ at this time.

1984: Tucson, Arizona. Pontarelli is overheard to want a "young blonde white girl" to be photographed having sex with Fassler for purposes of blackmail because Pontarelli owes him a lot of money (payoff for Tricia witnesses? Drugs?). When brought in and questioned by police, Pontarelli says Fassler was the last to have Tricia and that he had been taking "underage" girls to Mexico. He then freaks out and recants and says nevermind, one of his personalities may have killed her and buried her in Chicago. Police again let him go.

1988- Michaela & Amber Swartz-Garcia are both kidnapped in the middle of the afternoon, out in the open just like Tricia Kellet.

I do not have a date for this yet, but Marvin Pontarelli is listed as at some point having an address in Vallejo, CA and has a record of arrest in Solano County, CA. So he was indeed connected to the area those girls disappeared.

1989, super creep and San Fran NAMBLA chapter member Richard Helwig is coming back across the Mexican border at San Ysidro, CA in his camper. According to Helwig, he goes to Puerto Vallarta every year for the winter and stays with his girlfriend and her two daughters there. Both daughters are hearing impaired and Helwig, who is noted by police to have a huge box of homemade child *advertiser censored* in his possession, apparently has a thing for hearing impaired children as they were themselves filmed. He also has cut out newspaper articles about the disappearances of Michaela and Amber, along with copies of country laws detailing pedophilia, etc. When questioned, the "girlfriend"'s children tell police they have seen both Amber and Michaela. There is conflicting evidence but some reports say the "girlfriend" had earrings like Michaela's and one of the girls' had a t-shirt like the one she was wearing. Helwig is arrested but someone in San Fran pays his bail for him and he skips town. Police track him down at an address in Tucson AZ and arrested him there.

I have been trying to no avail to get a complete chronological arrest record for Pontarelli, Fassler, and Helwig. I would love to know whose address Helwig was hiding out at in Tucson. From Congressional and Senate hearings that took place during the late 70's, early 80's, members of these pedo orgs like NAMBLA, the Delta Project, etc. "traded" their homemade kiddie *advertiser censored* but the ultimate goal (and what they would pay the most for) was to "meet" the models personally. I'm trying to find it again, but apparently there were "books" and "catalogs" of photos where pedos would "select" their victims.

I've also been completely unable to find any additional info on Gerald Battistoni. No arrest record, nothing. Since he was an informant I'm wondering if he was in the witness protection program or something like that. His face is so close to Michaela's abductor's composite sketch
Thanks for all this. I have been following this case for a long time now. I check in from time to time just in the hope that something will break... It's been 30 years.

I believe Helwig died in prison without ever revealing any information, which is a shame. I believe the deaf daughters said they remember Michaela, but didn't know where she went. From there the trail, according to Michaela's mother, is practically non-existent, although she has expressed the opinion that Michaela may have been taken to the UAE.

Truly sad.

I hope you get answers soon although I think this is a difficult case. I have posted this on the Jennifer Short thread but at this page someone compares the composite sketches in these cases with a possible suspect:

Will There Ever Be Justice For Jennifer Short and Her Family? ~True Crime Diva
The sketches are indeed striking,the resemble of the small oval face and the eyes,but then again I do think most people have cold empty piercing eyes during their act.
On Hiltons mugshot you can see his ears,the perp sketch it is hidden by long hair...

The sketches are indeed striking,the resemble of the small oval face and the eyes,but then again I do think most people have cold empty piercing eyes during their act.
On Hiltons mugshot you can see his ears,the perp sketch it is hidden by long hair...
O, those cold, dead eyes. They all seem to have them; windows of the soul-less.

There are many theories,that Michaela was taken to Mexico, and when I read this...I thought about her and her family... :(

“I’ve arrived at the conclusion that the moment when we can’t find our children is not the only time they disappear. When they don’t identify the bodies, in one way or another, they disappear again,” said María del Rosario Cervantes, the mother of a missing child."
Jalisco authorities accused of burning 1,500 unidentified bodies

"BUMP"

FBI offering 10k reward in abduction of MICHAELA
GARECHT

Reward:

The FBI is offering a reward of up to $10,000 for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the abductor of Michaela Garecht.

Remarks:
Michaela Garecht was last seen wearing a white t-shirt with the word "Metro" across the front and pictures of people on the midsection. She had on denim pants rolled above her knees, black shoes, and wore three-inch pearl or white colored earrings which resembled feathers.

Details:
Michaela Joy Garecht was nine-years-old when she was abducted by an unknown male assailant in the parking lot of the Rainbow Market in Hayward, California, on the morning of November 19, 1988. She was attempting to retrieve her friend's scooter that the abductor had moved closer to his vehicle while the girls were inside the market when she was grabbed by the assailant and pulled into a car. Garecht has not been seen or heard from since this date.

At the time of the abduction, the suspect was described as being between 18 and 24 years old with a slender build. He was approximately 6'0" and 180 pounds with dirty blond, shoulder-length hair. He had a pockmarked or pimpled face. He was driving an older model, full-sized four-door sedan, possibly gold or tan in color, with damage to the front bumper.

Submit a Tip:
If you have any information concerning this person, please contact yourlocal FBI office or the nearest American Embassy or Consulate.
Field Office: San Francisco

Submit an anonymous Tip online

MICHAELA JOY GARECHT | Federal Bureau of Investigation

Last edited:
@eyeseestars wow...this is some seriously good investigation work...I've often thought that Micheala's case could be related to the pedophilia rings...could she still be alive after being kidnapped for such purposes? The government and politicians deny any such groups even exist...they must think the American people are as stupid as they are...and I believe alot of politicians are more than involved...possibly running these groups and protecting the sickos that prey on our children!

With the arrest of Epstein, you may be closer than we could ever imagine.

I just want to post a couple of composite sketches for comparison. They are both side views that of the Michaela Garecht suspect and that of the Visalia Ransacker:

visalia-ransacker-composites.jpg

The Visalia Ransacker

large

MICHAELA JOY GARECHT — FBI

Hopefully this will stay up because it is a clip here is the segment from Unsolved Mysteries about the case with the late great Robert Stack:

Hopefully this will stay up because it is a clip here is the segment from Unsolved Mysteries about the case with the late great Robert Stack:

Interesting I did not know that the offender used the nasty trick of putting Michaela's bike near his car but make the abduction easier and quicker.

The suspect therefore went up to the shop of course:

Inside the store, Michaela and Trina purchased two Mountain Dew sodas, two sticks of beef jerky and two pieces of cherry taffy. Upon leaving the market, the two friends started to walk home, completely forgetting about their scooters which they had left just outside the door. When they realised, they rushed back to the market but found only one scooter sitting where they left them. Michaela noticed the second scooter further down the parking lot, leaning against a parked car. As she went to lift the scooter, a young man with long blonde hair appeared from the car and grabbed Michaela under his arm and shoved her into the car as she screamed for help. Trina witnessed the entire ordeal unfold and rushed back to the store to get help. The cashier subsequently called police who arrived at the scene within minutes.

The Abduction of Michaela Joy Garecht • Morbidology

Last edited:
I ran across an article on Malakia Logan. An eight year old girl from South Carolina that went missing 05-15-1988. That is about 6 months before Michaela's abduction. The abductor in Malakia's case was described as a 5'9 white male, long dirty blond hair, and severe pockmarked face. Also, he drove an older model Monte Carlo. I wasn't able to obtain a sketch of him since there really wasn't many articles in the archive.. but the few articles I did read said one was circulated at the time. Unfortunately this little girl received very little attention from the media.

Case similarities: the kidnapper description, similar car, both girls similar age (I think Malakia would have turned 9 very shortly after her abduction), both abducted from places where a crowd of people could identify the kidnapper (a pretty bold abduction).

Differences - One child was white, one African-american. One happened in the morning, one at night. One on the west coast, one on the east coast.

Sadly Malakia was found deceased, I believe in 91, but Dna testing could not confirm that till later. Is it possible that the kidnapper could have committed a crime on the east coast and then took off to the west coast to remain undetected? Since his sketch was circulated mainly throughout South Carolina.. it would make sense to get as far away as possible, correct?

Thoughts?

There appears not to be a separate thread on the Malakia Logan case in South Carolina which I wanted to give a bump but in a way I am pleased it is on this thread:

Malakia Logan

9 Infamous Bone-Chilling Unsolved Mysteries In South Carolina

Part of the above report:
It happened May 15, 1988, somewhere between the small park that was just 300 yards away from the apartment complex and her door. She never came home with her sister. They had been playing basketball together when Malakia decided to go home. Malakia's bike was found near the apartment office. There were witnesses that say they saw a white male whose face was pockmarked driving an older model, dark, Monte Carlo, but none of them ever saw Malakia with him or any other suspicious activity. In 1990, sadly, her remains were found by a deer hunter. Charles Wade Hampton were eventually charged with Malakia's murder, but the mystery remains unsolved. The charges against Hampton was dropped due to lack of evidence.

Malakia Logan — Unresolved

Bicycle-Related Cases

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sumzoe24