CA CA - Michal Marcin Krowczynski, 30, Polish tourist, La Jolla Biltmore Hotel, San Diego, 17 Jan 2019

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Very little information. I assume LE is investigating his cell phone and financial records since his disappearance and any CCTV video during this time.

New clues: New clues in disappearance of Polish tourist
Volunteer walked along beach where MK last posted on instagram and found deodorant with Polish language and what appears to be the same pair of shoes that MK purchased just a few days before his disappearance. Apparently that area is rocky and tricky and the surf was high that day. I fear he is in the water.

New clues: New clues in disappearance of Polish tourist
Volunteer walked along beach where MK last posted on instagram and found deodorant with Polish language and what appears to be the same pair of shoes that MK purchased just a few days before his disappearance. Apparently that area is rocky and tricky and the surf was high that day. I fear he is in the water.

Unfortunately that was my guess (given the last known general location) even before this info.

And since we've had a fair bit of rain and particularly rough water quite a bit, it makes the odds even higher, unfortunately, IMO.

We're (supposedly) about to get 3 pretty much back to back storms (Thursday, Saturday, Monday) which will churn things up again. Several times we've had people who have ended up in the water turn up shortly after a storm.

If he's truly ended up in the ocean, hopefully the same will be true so his family/friends can have closure.

Obviously I hope that's not the case and there's a better explanation for his having gone missing, but... :-/

Unfortunately though, from the beginning, this case made me think of Amanda Cruse, another who was in the same (general - OB in that case) area from out of town, and went missing. Her body washed up a short distance away a few weeks later. Woman Last Seen Near Sunset Cliffs Found Dead: SDPD

Unfortunately that was my guess (given the last known general location) even before this info.
And since we've had a fair bit of rain and particularly rough water quite a bit, it makes the odds even higher, unfortunately, IMO.
Is the surf in the area strong enough to sweep a beach walker off their feet, and then out to sea?

I remember reading about two teenagers who were swept out in the San Francisco area, but I am not aware that San Diego area surf is that strong.

Is the surf in the area strong enough to sweep a beach walker off their feet, and then out to sea?

I remember reading about two teenagers who were swept out in the San Francisco area, but I am not aware that San Diego area surf is that strong.

Looks like the surf can be quite strong, with waves up to 14 feet high forecast a week before MK disappeared!! I would think that could sweep someone off their feet.

ETA links:
1) Man is swept out to sea and dies in rough surf (Jan 9 2019) Tourist dies after being swept away by big waves while chasing dog in rough surf
2) High surf advisory up to 14 ft Jan 9 - 16 High surf hits San Diego beaches this week

Unfortunately I can't seem to find the data for the surf on Jan 17.

Last edited:
Looks like the surf can be quite strong, with waves up to 14 feet high forecast a week before MK disappeared!! I would think that could sweep someone off their feet.

ETA links:
1) Man is swept out to sea and dies in rough surf (Jan 9 2019) Tourist dies after being swept away by big waves while chasing dog in rough surf
2) High surf advisory up to 14 ft Jan 9 - 16 High surf hits San Diego beaches this week

Unfortunately I can't seem to find the data for the surf on Jan 17.

I live in San Diego. I posted earlier in the thread that on Jan 17 there was a high surf advisory in the area. SeaWorld was closed that day because of it.

I think it’s not unusual for someone to be swept away here. I never understood why LE said his disappearance was unusual.

It seems odd that someone would wear a new pair of shoes to walk on the beach, imo, or bring deodorant along for that matter.

"Cichocki said the items were a brown shoe matching the description of a pair of shoes recently purchased by Krowczynski and a deodorant stick with Polish writing on it."
"Vernon said they were looking for a backpack, other items of clothing or maybe the other shoe belonging to Krowczynski."

Since it's been addressed below I won't add to it really, but yes, at times especially.

The other big issue, true especially in parts of La Jolla, Sunset Cliffs, Blacks Beach, is people tend to wander off the actual paths and think they can judge edges better than is truly possible, which also leads to a lot of falls.

In addition, the cliffs, especially in several of the above mentioned places, are notoriously unstable - with signs indicating as much - and give way easily, particularly after rain/wind. That could also be a factor.

We've had a lot of falls where then the person gets caught out into the surf, depending on where exactly, and the combination of possible injuries after a fall, etc. Especially if no one saw it happen and can't get help in time before the waves can overtake even a possibly initially dry area.

Just more on the cliffs in many of the scenic spots here for those not familiar - and even for locals that don't regularly listen to the SDPD and SDFD scanners - particularly during high tourist seasons (spring break weeks/month almost now, summer, holidays, etc. in particular) it's not unusual to have 1-4 rescues A DAY from the above areas combined. I tracked them for awhile and it's almost like clockwork.

And while it's unusual (less so than in the past unfortunately), there are times I've heard 2-4 rescues in almost the exact same spot on the same day.

While that frequency in one spot is more the exception not the rule, falls are very common - and most are 1) younger (25 or under) or elderly (70+ and more unstable anyway), 2) tourists (more inclined to think the signs warning about the unstable cliffs are overstatements and it's not really that bad), 3) under some degree of influence of alcohol/weed/other drugs - if not a combination of the above.

Our beautiful scenic spots are obviously prime tourist spots and places people are drawn to, love to take photos (selfies, especially - the number of fall victims that had cameras/were taking pictures extraordinarily high) and are also areas that tend to have a lot of bars. Not saying that's the case with Michal, especially the latter at that time of day, but just that the combination has proven problematic.

Unfortunately the beauty of our coastline seems to draw people into complacency about the dangers of the cliffs, the power of the ocean and our rip currents, and don't use enough common sense or take the posted warnings about the unstable cliffs seriously enough and think "it'll never happen to me."

Just more on the cliffs in many of the scenic spots here for those not familiar - and even for locals that don't regularly listen to the SDPD and SDFD scanners - particularly during high tourist seasons (spring break weeks/month almost now, summer, holidays, etc. in particular) it's not unusual to have 1-4 rescues A DAY from the above areas combined. I tracked them for awhile and it's almost like clockwork.

And while it's unusual (less so than in the past unfortunately), there are times I've heard 2-4 rescues in almost the exact same spot on the same day.

While that frequency in one spot is more the exception not the rule, falls are very common - and most are 1) younger (25 or under) or elderly (70+ and more unstable anyway), 2) tourists (more inclined to think the signs warning about the unstable cliffs are overstatements and it's not really that bad), 3) under some degree of influence of alcohol/weed/other drugs - if not a combination of the above.

Our beautiful scenic spots are obviously prime tourist spots and places people are drawn to, love to take photos (selfies, especially - the number of fall victims that had cameras/were taking pictures extraordinarily high) and are also areas that tend to have a lot of bars. Not saying that's the case with Michal, especially the latter at that time of day, but just that the combination has proven problematic.

Unfortunately the beauty of our coastline seems to draw people into complacency about the dangers of the cliffs, the power of the ocean and our rip currents, and don't use enough common sense or take the posted warnings about the unstable cliffs seriously enough and think "it'll never happen to me."

Totally agree with all of your great points and this is why I never understood why LE referred to his disappearance as unusual. I wonder if they just meant he wouldn’t just take off on his own. Thoughts?

Please notice my "deportation" case in 2007 which I now consider illegal setup, ethic expulsion and abandoned property thieft as well as Violation of IV Geneva Convention about deportations: My deportation from the USA in June 2007 Moja deportacja z USA w czerwcu 2007 This may concern not only mk case but all the people who are apparently missing for their friends and family and have Polish passport. In 2007 I was arrested after Canada denied my entry without valid visa when frustrated after 15 years of not issuing me Green Card while I have PhD from the University of Rochester I tried to enter Canada at deep night silently with own car second time without inspection but on formally opened crossing in Coutts/Sweet Grass at the end of the I-15. It happened only because I had no 1$ e-bay value old mattress, 1$ value sleeping bang and 1$ value tend forgetting my paramilitary teenage past simply to resign and pull over after the first attempt on the closed smaller crossing finding small gate there invisible from satellites and sleep under the car while being too tired to look for the unreserved hotel around. If I had no cell phone and did not call immediately I would be apparently missing in the deportation arrest for both my home state Utah and Poland for at least two months. mk seemed to travel around the Tijuana iron fence which has strategic point entering from land into sea which you can avoid with some prior military or paramilitary training on small boat or even swimming etc. Immigration and Nationality Act allows to check identity and immigration status 25 miles from the US border and he could be simply arrested by ICE or other border patrol as not looking native of the United States as he does not on photos. Federal authorities clearly do not cooperate fast with state authorities while for example Utah State law allows undocumented immigrants to work legally as well as the state is not well aware about the illegal immigration issues at all. People in deportation arrest in other state may look simply missing for another while the immigration arrests and courts also some make impression they will never notify Polish consulate about the arrest. According to the US law while used selectively it is also possible to store a person in the deportation camp even indefinitely. List of the US immigration courts with possible immigration arrests: EOIR Immigration Court Listing Also while searching in the online databases one should notice that my name ending the -ski was altered at least once by the SSN administration and also while filling the immigration petition for the h1b visa and would not be returned by the database if also altered by normal or the deportation arrest.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lbw0021
Back