GUILTY CA - Michelle Lozano, 17, & Bree'Anna Guzman, 22, murdered, Los Angeles, 2011 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Jury selection begins on October 17 and the testimony will begin on October 24. Nothing until October 17. I don't predict there will be a plea deal in the meantime. It seemed like not much happened today except final preparations for an actual trial.

I'm curious what you all think about this case?

Do you have a link to all this, please? TIA! :)

Previous Hearing dates.

October 3, 2022 10:00 AM Clara Shortridge Foltz Criminal Justice Center 106 JURY TRIAL

October 4, 2022 10:00 AM Clara Shortridge Foltz Criminal Justice Center 106 JURY TRIAL IN PROGRESS

October 6, 2022 10:00 AM Clara Shortridge Foltz Criminal Justice Center 106 JURY TRIAL IN PROGRESS

link: Criminal Case Summary - Online Services - LA Court

So it looks like trial was still going on yesterday....

Do you have a link to all this, please? TIA! :)
Sorry I don't have any links. I was next door yesterday so I thought I'd stop in because this case is of interest to me for a few reasons. The hearing yesterday morning ended during the morning session and I didn't arrive until the afternoon session thinking they already had a jury in which case they don't go home early. There were no hearings being held by that time so I spoke to the clerk who was of course very nice and told me those details.

She said nothing until the 17th which is when jury selection begins. Btw the public are often not really welcome at jury selection. She also said that testimony would begin on the 24th.

The reason it says that the trial is already underway is because it was in fact set for trial on the master calendar. As a result the judge's only options are to have a trial, taken it off the calendar, or dismiss the case. The judge couldn't dismiss it or just take it off the calendar. So the trial (in this case a jury trial) begun because it was scheduled to do so. Its typical for the judge to still be assessing things like the readiness of the parties to proceed, the necessity to actually assemble a jury, scheduling/logistics and for good cause the judge was permitted to continue the trial that technically began on the 3rd or whenever it was scheduled to.

Sorry I don't have any links. I was next door yesterday so I thought I'd stop in because this case is of interest to me for a few reasons. The hearing yesterday morning ended during the morning session and I didn't arrive until the afternoon session thinking they already had a jury in which case they don't go home early. There were no hearings being held by that time so I spoke to the clerk who was of course very nice and told me those details.

She said nothing until the 17th which is when jury selection begins. Btw the public are often not really welcome at jury selection. She also said that testimony would begin on the 24th.

The reason it says that the trial is already underway is because it was in fact set for trial on the master calendar. As a result the judge's only options are to have a trial, taken it off the calendar, or dismiss the case. The judge couldn't dismiss it or just take it off the calendar. So the trial (in this case a jury trial) begun because it was scheduled to do so. Its typical for the judge to still be assessing things like the readiness of the parties to proceed, the necessity to actually assemble a jury, scheduling/logistics and for good cause the judge was permitted to continue the trial that technically began on the 3rd or whenever it was scheduled to.

Thank you for the explanation! I shall correct my notes! :)

Thank you for the explanation! I shall correct my notes! :)
You're welcome. Can I ask what your interest is in this case? Just wondering I like to hear people's opinions whatever they may be.

Also I was wondering if you have any idea why there is only 1 charge for kidnapping?

You're welcome. Can I ask what your interest is in this case? Just wondering I like to hear people's opinions whatever they may be.

Also I was wondering if you have any idea why there is only 1 charge for kidnapping?

I believe I started following case when the girls were found & kept up with the case. Plus I used to live in L.A. County & in California - so am following quite a few cases there.

I do not know the exact reason why he is not charged with kidnapping Lozano, only Guzman. You would have to go back to 2018 when Borjas was arrested & charged. There are only 6 pages to catch up on - so you will probably find your answer there - unless someone else here following gives you an answer.

Here is what I have in my notes about the kidnapping.

charged (2/15/18) & arraigned (5/30/18) with 2 counts of murder, forcible rape & 1 count of kidnapping (for Guzman). (Murder charges include the special circumstance allegations of multiple murders, murder during the commission of a rape involving both victims & murder during the commission of a kidnapping involving Guzman).

Maybe they do not have evidence that he kidnapped Lozano. ??

Maybe they do not have evidence that he kidnapped Lozano. ??
Right that's what it would seem but then that means they do have enough evidence to charge him with kidnapping Bree'Anna Guzman? From everything I've read about the case though (which isn't a whole lot) it's all DNA evidence and public records.

Past Events
Date Time Location Dept/Room Number Events
October 3, 2022 10:00 AM Clara Shortridge Foltz Criminal Justice Center 106 JURY TRIAL

October 4, 2022 10:00 AM Clara Shortridge Foltz Criminal Justice Center 106 JURY TRIAL IN PROGRESS

October 6, 2022 10:00 AM Clara Shortridge Foltz Criminal Justice Center 106 JURY TRIAL IN PROGRESS

October 10, 2022 10:00 AM Clara Shortridge Foltz Criminal Justice Center 106 JURY TRIAL IN PROGRESS

Upcoming Scheduled Events
Date Time Location Dept/Room Number
October 17, 2022 10:00 AM Clara Shortridge Foltz Criminal Justice Center 106 JURY TRIAL IN PROGRESS

Monday, October 17th:
*Jury Selection set to begin (@ 10am PT) – CA – Michelle Lozano (17) (found Apr. 25, 2011 along side Golden State (5) Freeway near State St. in Boyle Heights & dumped over a masonry barrier along the freeway, Los Angeles County) & Bree’Anna Guzman (22) (missing Dec. 26, 2011, Los Angeles, found Jan. 26, 2012 near the Riverside Drive onramp to the southbound Glendale (2) Freeway in the Silver Lake area. The body was apparently was dumped at the location, Los Angeles County) – *Geovanni Borjas (24 @ time of 1st crime/33/now 37) charged (2/15/18) & arraigned (5/30/18) with 2 counts of murder, forcible rape & 1 count of kidnapping (for Guzman). (Murder charges include the special circumstance allegations of multiple murders, murder during the commission of a rape involving both victims & murder during the commission of a kidnapping involving Guzman). Plead not guilty. Held without bond. DA will not seek DP.
DNA search matched familial DNA.
Trial was set to begin on 10/3/22 continued on 10/17/22 for jury selection & trial begins on 10/24/22.

Court info from 9/27/18 thru 9/22/22 & corrections reference post #92 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...urdered-los-angeles-2011-arrest.158698/page-5

10/3/22 Update: Corrections – no trial has been taking place, just pretrial readiness hearings to get ready for trial. There was trial in progress from court site on 10/3, 10/4, 10/6 & 10/10/22. Jury selection begins on 10/17/22 & trial set to begin on 10/24/22.

Nothing on the court site for today, but then I am 10 hours ahead of PT time - so will go ahead & post this - and look later in the day for any updates. Also not finding any current news articles.

Tuesday, October 18th:
*Jury Selection continues (Day 2) (@ 10am PT) – CA – Michelle Lozano (17) (found Apr. 25, 2011 along side Golden State (5) Freeway near State St. in Boyle Heights & dumped over a masonry barrier along the freeway, Los Angeles County) & Bree’Anna Guzman (22) (missing Dec. 26, 2011, Los Angeles, found Jan. 26, 2012 near the Riverside Drive onramp to the southbound Glendale (2) Freeway in the Silver Lake area. The body was apparently was dumped at the location, Los Angeles County) – *Geovanni Borjas (24 @ time of 1st crime/33/now 37) charged (2/15/18) & arraigned (5/30/18) with 2 counts of murder, forcible rape & 1 count of kidnapping (for Guzman). (Murder charges include the special circumstance allegations of multiple murders, murder during the commission of a rape involving both victims & murder during the commission of a kidnapping involving Guzman). Plead not guilty. Held without bond. DA will not seek DP.
Trial began on 10/17/22 for jury selection & trial begins on 10/24/22.

Court info from 9/27/18 thru 10/3/22 reference post #109 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...urdered-los-angeles-2011-arrest.158698/page-6

10/17/22 Monday, Jury Selection Day 1: No info available. Jury selection continues on 10/18/22 & trial set to begin on 10/24/22.

Still nothing updated in the court site for yesterday or today. So I will hold off on posting my stuff... will check later in the day.

And of course finding NOTHING on this case....

Can not believe I am not finding ANYTHING on this case??!!

from the court site:

No "current" date on the court site. But I am going to go thru Friday for jury selection.

Hearings:
October 18, 2022 10:00 AM Clara Shortridge Foltz Criminal Justice Center 106 JURY TRIAL IN PROGRESS

October 19, 2022 10:00 AM Clara Shortridge Foltz Criminal Justice Center 106 JURY TRIAL IN PROGRESS

Looks like trial is still in progress. So will post my stuff for yesterday.... and for today.

Thursday, October 20th:
*Jury Selection continues (Day 4) (@ 10am PT) – CA – Michelle Lozano (17) (found Apr. 25, 2011 along side Golden State (5) Freeway near State St. in Boyle Heights & dumped over a masonry barrier along the freeway, Los Angeles County) & Bree’Anna Guzman (22) (missing Dec. 26, 2011, Los Angeles, found Jan. 26, 2012 near the Riverside Drive onramp to the southbound Glendale (2) Freeway in the Silver Lake area. The body was apparently was dumped at the location, Los Angeles County) – *Geovanni Borjas (24 @ time of 1st crime/33/now 37) charged (2/15/18) & arraigned (5/30/18) with 2 counts of murder, forcible rape & 1 count of kidnapping (for Guzman). (Murder charges include the special circumstance allegations of multiple murders, murder during the commission of a rape involving both victims & murder during the commission of a kidnapping involving Guzman). Plead not guilty. Held without bond. DA will not seek DP.
Trial began on 10/17/22 for jury selection & trial begins on 10/24/22.

Court info from 9/27/18 thru 10/3/22 reference post #109 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...urdered-los-angeles-2011-arrest.158698/page-6

10/17/22 Monday, Jury Selection Day 1: Jury selection continues on 10/18/22 & trial set to begin on 10/24/22.
10/18/22 Tuesday, Jury Selection Day 2: No info available. Jury selection continues on 10/19/22.
10/19/22 Wednesday, Jury Selection Day 3: No info available. Jury selection continues on 10/20/22.

Still nothing updated in the court site - and NOTHING on my searches for this trial.
So... going to "assume" that the jury selection has been finished on 10/19/22 since that is the last date on the court site.

And trial will begin on 10/24/22.

Still nothing updated in the court site - and NOTHING on my searches for this trial.
So... going to "assume" that the jury selection has been finished on 10/19/22 since that is the last date on the court site.

And trial will begin on 10/24/22.
I've noticed that in other courtrooms details may only actually be available in the calendar search for brief periods of time like early AM until the case has been called. Maybe when the info actually could be helpful to say an attorney trying to locate a courtroom, not help the public ascertain what is going on in a courtroom from day to day for whatever reason.

Well there is no current court date - and of course, I can not find anything in the L.A. area about this trial.

I will hold off posting....

I am going to go ahead & post this - maybe the court site is just late in updating the trial dates. If nothing shows up by Friday - I will quit posting this - again. And wondering WHY there are no current articles about this case - at least I can not find them over here... the latest I am getting is for Jan. 2022.

Wednesday, October 26th:
*Trial continues (Day 3) (@ 10am PT) – CA – Michelle Lozano (17) (found Apr. 25, 2011 along side Golden State (5) Freeway near State St. in Boyle Heights & dumped over a masonry barrier along the freeway, Los Angeles County) & Bree’Anna Guzman (22) (missing Dec. 26, 2011, Los Angeles, found Jan. 26, 2012 near the Riverside Drive onramp to the southbound Glendale (2) Freeway in the Silver Lake area. The body was apparently was dumped at the location, Los Angeles County) – *Geovanni Borjas (24 @ time of 1st crime/33/now 37) charged (2/15/18) & arraigned (5/30/18) with 2 counts of murder, forcible rape & 1 count of kidnapping (for Guzman). (Murder charges include the special circumstance allegations of multiple murders, murder during the commission of a rape involving both victims & murder during the commission of a kidnapping involving Guzman). Plead not guilty. Held without bond. DA will not seek DP.
Trial began on 10/17/22 for jury selection thru 10/19/22 & trial began on 10/24/22.

Court info from 9/27/18 thru 10/3/22 & Jury Selection Day 1-3 (10/17 to 10/19/22) reference post #113 here:

10/19/22 Thursday, Jury selected on 10/19/22. Trial begins on Monday, 10/24/22.
10/24/22 Monday, Trial Day 1: Opening statements. No other info available. Trial continues on Tuesday, 10/25/22.
10/25/22 Tuesday, Trial Day 2: No info available. Trial continues on Wednesday, 10/26/22.

Still not finding ANY current articles on this case. Last "current" one to come up is June, 2022.

Docket update:

October 24, 2022 10:00 AM Clara Shortridge Foltz Criminal Justice Center 106 JURY TRIAL IN PROGRESS

October 25, 2022 09:00 AM CLK DOCKET LINE ENTRY

October 26, 2022 10:00 AM Clara Shortridge Foltz Criminal Justice Center 106 JURY TRIAL IN PROGRESS

There is no update IF there is trial today, but I will post it anyway...

Thursday, October 27th:
*Trial continues (Day 3) (@ 10am PT) – CA – Michelle Lozano (17) (found Apr. 25, 2011 along side Golden State (5) Freeway near State St. in Boyle Heights & dumped over a masonry barrier along the freeway, Los Angeles County) & Bree’Anna Guzman (22) (missing Dec. 26, 2011, Los Angeles, found Jan. 26, 2012 near the Riverside Drive onramp to the southbound Glendale (2) Freeway in the Silver Lake area. The body was apparently was dumped at the location, Los Angeles County) – *Geovanni Borjas (24 @ time of 1st crime/33/now 37) charged (2/15/18) & arraigned (5/30/18) with 2 counts of murder, forcible rape & 1 count of kidnapping (for Guzman). (Murder charges include the special circumstance allegations of multiple murders, murder during the commission of a rape involving both victims & murder during the commission of a kidnapping involving Guzman). Plead not guilty. Held without bond. DA will not seek DP.
Trial began on 10/17/22 for jury selection thru 10/19/22 & trial began on 10/24/22.

Court info from 9/27/18 thru 10/3/22 & Jury Selection Day 1-3 (10/17 to 10/19/22) reference post #118 here:

10/24/22 Monday, Trial Day 1: Opening statements. No other info available. Trial continues on Tuesday, 10/25/22 with a docket hearing.
10/25/22 Tuesday: Docket hearing. Trial continues on 10/26/22.
10/26/22 Wednesday, Trail Day 2: No info available. Trial continues on Thursday, 10/27/22.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeeFab
Back