CA CA - Mitrice Richardson, 24, Malibu, 17 Sep 2009

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I found this tidbit:
"Richardson said she would rather leave. At 12:15 a.m., she left with the possessions she came in with — her shirt and jeans, a brown hat and pink belt; two keys and her driver's license — signing a citation promising to return to the Malibu courthouse on Nov. 16, 2009."

http://mobile.latimes.com/wap/news/text.jsp?sid=294&nid=18628381&cid=17190&scid=-1&ith=2&title=Local

By that article, she didn't have a cell phone or purse at all, but did have her id.

Keep in mind that, even without her purse, id, and money, Mitrice could have made a collect phone call to her mother in the immediate vicinity of the station if she had WANTED to. .

I wish I had more time to catch up, but I don't. Instead of sifting through all the chatter about who is to blame and who isn't, can someone tell me if they have discussed an autopsy being done on her remains? I'm sure they have, but have they said when to expect the results? I also wonder if it is immediately obvious that this IS or ISN'T a homicide investigation. Also, I wonder when they will make the announcement on whether or not this is going to be treated as such. Thanks for anyone that can help.

I'm pretty sure they're more concerned with the "letter of the law" is because of past lawsuits and perceived overstepping the rights of incarcerated people. They don't want the ACLU involved I'm sure. Theres a saying my mom always told me...." The road to hell is paved with good intentions". I've seen so many demonstrations of that! All of this, is, my opinion only. Except the adage.....!

Playing Devils Advocate here.....but lets say that she wasn't mentally impaired....I mean, the officers didn't know her before this night.....maybe they thought she was eccentric or something. If my mom was ever taken in to a PD, I can promise you they might think she was impaired, but she is totally eccentric and odd. Anyway, supposing she wasn't impaired and the officers tried to keep her in jail or whatever. The next day she might have sued them for not releasing her. I don't think that she should have left either, but short of physically handling her, which might have resulted in different problems for PD, how could they have made her stay? How do they decide if someone is impaired or weird? Should everyone be evaluated by a doctor for mental issues? I'm just saying......People usually join LE so that they can HELP people so its hard for me to believe that they blatantly shoved this girl out in the middle of the night with no regard for her. I think she asked to leave and they had no choice. I truly feel so bad for everyone involved, even the LE that handled this case. I imagine that this is thier worst nightmare, too. A tragedy all the way around and I wish only peace for her family and everyone involved.

I can't think of anything in the world that would excuse adults (let alone LE officers) dumping a woman on the streets after midnight with no phone, no money and no transportation. I am reminded of the video from several years ago, in which hospitals dumped aging or ill homeless patients right out on the street, some of them still in hospital gowns.

It would have been easy to keep her overnight and let someone pick her up in the morning. How many of us have sat in driveways or on the street waiting to make sure someone not only got home, but got inside and turned on the lights--to make sure that someone got home and got home safely. And then all the "she's partying up in Los Vegas" stories--what are they covering up in the sheriff's office?

1) You are assuming she didn't "hook up with friends" as she told the sherriff's she would.

2) You are assuming she had a phone and money before she was arrested.

3) Imagine the legitimate law suits had they detained her against her will till the morning.

4) She was seen four or five hours after she was released, and seemed in no distress at that time.

I can't think of anything in the world that would excuse adults (let alone LE officers) dumping a woman on the streets after midnight with no phone, no money and no transportation. I am reminded of the video from several years ago, in which hospitals dumped aging or ill homeless patients right out on the street, some of them still in hospital gowns.

It would have been easy to keep her overnight and let someone pick her up in the morning. How many of us have sat in driveways or on the street waiting to make sure someone not only got home, but got inside and turned on the lights--to make sure that someone got home and got home safely. And then all the "she's partying up in Los Vegas" stories--what are they covering up in the sheriff's office?

Respectfully snipped and BBM

And as far as the 'charge"; what should LE have done? Not arrest her? Keep her in jail till she had a court date, or bail hearing and not release her? Give her a ride back to the restaurant? She broke the law, and LE did what they were supposed to do. People get arrested, processed, and released, the time they are released is based on the time they were arrested, and time it takes to be processed. Can you imagine the cilvil liberty outcries if LE started only releasing people at a certain time, say 9 am?

Agree 1000%. This is a grown adult, not a young child. The officers tried to get Mitrice to stay but she is the one who chose to left. She did not appear to be a danger to herself or others, so they did not tackle her and prevent her from walking out the door. I don't find them at fault, and fully agree that this kind of thing happens all of the time with no negative outcome. It's unfortunate that this case was different, however she was not a minor and legally able to make her own decisions.

Respectfully snipped and BBM.

In what way was she "dumped on the streets?" It's not like LE threw her in the car, drove her out to the middle of nowhere and shoved her out the door. She was safe and warm in the police department and was offered two comfortable areas in which she could stay overnight. The officers encouraged her to stay. She is a grown adult who made her own decision to leave. Mitrice walked out the door herself, against the officer's advice. She was not thrown out in the streets by LE. She CHOSE to leave.

glitering_sign.gif
GLAMOUR&GLORY

Sorry to triple post but from my understanding, most of her belongings were in her vehicle which was impounded. The police confiscated the marijuana. It was not their responsibility to take her cell phone and purse for her. Had Mitrice wanted those items she could have taken them with her. I've never been arrested, but have a few wild friends who have and they were always allowed to bring those items with them which would be locked up until which time they were released. When released those items are returned to them.

I believe Mitrice just wasn't in the right mental state to concern herself with her purse and cell phone. Most of us would have thought to bring them with us, but she left them in the car. It's unfortunate but based on her behavior at the station and when found sleeping, I doubt she would have made any different decisions had she had these items with her.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lan...n-what-lessons-should-we-learn-from-case.html

Mitrice Richardson: What lessons can be learned?

The Mitrice Richardson case sparked outrage from the start. Critics asked: How could deputies with the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department be so cruel, so callous or so clueless as to allow a young woman to set off on her own in an isolated area in the middle of the night?

<<<<<<<<<<<<<full article and video at link>>>>>>>>>>>>

Don't bother looking cause I am no expert and I read this entire thread, post by post and have many mixed feelings. However I do have a strong LE background to include Detention officer and Corrections officer.

I can say most Road Officers when they bring in the subject do bring in a bag with all their belongings. Since her offenses were not huge, I don't know if this made a difference. Or if Statutes and Policy and Procedure differ in Cali, but just saying most times the do bring in the purse and the cell. Why they would allow her to leave them in the car is beyond me, because once impounded their is liability for the contents of the car. Has anyone seen a property list from her booking, are we sure these were left in her vehicle?

Now, when they bring someone in for booking, you dress them out, print them, take mug shots and put them in a cell. The fact that she was not bondable when brought in in the evening from the restaurant and suddenly bonded makes no sense. There are offenses that you can P.O.R. aka PR bond also known as ROR (depending on your part of the country) only on certain offences. All others must bond in morning either through the clerks office or must see a judge prior to bond being set. So, this in itself confuses me. Why could she not bond then she did bond. I am assuming it was a 2500.00 PR bond, which is fine, except, I do not understand why the officer on the phone did not say that to her mom. Example, Yes we are booking her, the process can take anywhere from two hours to four hours depending on how busy we get, but she will be released sometime tonight on PR Bond. I just know that it was a case of someone new not knowing this was PRable. IMHO

When you dress someone out, you take their clothing, you issue them oranges and shoes, you place all in a locker. Filling out property sheet that they must sign, then you lock it. Then you take their wallet, Identification etc, cell phone, keys to car, all the jewelry and put it in a lock drawer with a number, you place the key to their clothes locker in it. So their is no forgetting to give them these items, you must then do a property form for these in the drawer. But you cannot dress them out the door until you open the drawer up to return them their valuables. So the phone and purse bugs me bad.

Now, yes she is an adult. And MY GOD yes many have mental issues and don't act right. Many are so upset, even normally normal folks can have mental issues when arrested, even on small infractions. I would not call mental health in in the middle of the night to do an eval for them unless I felt they were going to possibly hurt themselves. But... if the mom called me and it was an adult. First upon release I would say, your mom called, so wondering if their was a change of shifts and no briefing was conducted as the second shift did not know the first shift had spoken to mom. I can see this happening.

I am trying so hard to put myself in the shoes of Malibu LE on that night. Okay, so I don't know mom called. So I am PR bonding her out, would certainly ask her to make a call for a ride, she says I am hooking up with friends, oh good. Are they waiting in lobby or do you need to call them to hook up. I too have offered to let people sit in the lobby til morning male and female, sadly I could not allow them to sit in the office. We had NCIC computer as well as other confidential items and I could not sit with them, I had to work. Now if a minor, yes we must sit with them until their parent or guardian comes.

Now, she tells me no to the phone call, I know its late and its desolate. I am not kidding when I say I am a pain in the arse. I would want to know how and when she was hooking up with friends. I would ask her to call someone and sit in lobby for me. But if she left, yes would worry but I could not stop her.

Now, if I took the call from mom, if she would not call mom back and would not allow me to call mom, I would not be able to, due to privacy act. But, ummmm..... you can stall a release..... I mean you cannot stall one, when released you must release them. But you bring them down, put them in holding. Get busy with something else, remove them, start bond paperwork, someone else comes in, back in holding, pull them out, dress them out, need to finish paperwork, back in holding. I am not saying I have done this, but saying its doable, but believe it or not, you can get in trouble for it. That I will tell you. I have questions about this too, but would need to know truelly all circumstances about it to give full opinion. I however agree, she should not have been out on those streets, there is always something you can do that is above and beyond, so it pisses people off, but your integrity stays intact. Very sad for her and her family....

Thank you so much for that post Portabella, that was extremely informative and helpful! I just spoke with my one of my friends who was arrested for a DUI and she remembered at the last second about her purse and the arresting officer retrieved it from the car for her. They did not bag it themselves and would have left it had it not been for her request. I'm not saying that's how it works in all cases and you are obviously more knowledgeable about this type of thing, but in at least one other case, the items would have been left in the car had the offending party not requested them. Procedures may vary by state, jurisdiction or even officer preference. I just don't know.

Portabella, so basically you are saying that everything she came in with would have have been returned to her when released? If so that does help because I think there was some confusion about the officers keeping some of her personal belongings at the station and not returning them to her which does not seem to be the case.

Portabella, so basically you are saying that everything she came in with would have have been returned to her when released? If so that does help because I think there was some confusion about the officers keeping some of her personal belongings at the station and not returning them to her which does not seem to be the case.

I am not Portabella, but I can tell you that Mitrice would have been released with her purse, ID, etc., but probably not any money she brought in if any. She would have also have been allowed to make a phone call on the jail phone if she wanted to when she was released.

I was a Booking/Classification Lieutenant at our Parish Jail/Correctional Center for many years. As I understand it, the restaurant management called LE because she could not pay her tab. She must have appeared to be incapacitated as well. It is also procedure to impound the vehicle. LE took her in and she was booked into the jail. Mitrice Mother contacted the restaurant as well as officers at the jail. IF, and I say IF Mitrice' mother told the people at the restaurant that she would pay the bill, (I know they wanted a signature faxed to them) then the restaurant may have not pressed charges.

The jail would have only been able to hold Mitrice if there was a charge against her. Some arrestees are observed and if found to be sober after a period of time, they are released on his/her own recognizance (sp.). Mitrice was an adult and she could not have been kept in the jail if she qualified by jail guidelines to be released. She was told, IIRC, that she could stay in the public area of the building if she wished. She did not.

I can understand people being outraged at her senseless death. I am also, but LE, IMO, is not responsible for her death. The jail is run on strict guidelines and is not run on sentiment. If you are an Officer at the jail, you follow the guidelines, period. The humanitarian part was offering for Mitrice to stay in the public area of the building until someone came to pick her up. She made the decision on her own to leave. If I sound heartless, please know that I am not. This was a set of unfortunate circumstances, IMO, and the blame should be placed on the murderer (if she was murdered)

I'm sorry, but I just cannot see blaming LE.

JMO

She wasn't "dumped on the streets", she was released from custody. What she did after that was her business. If she was concerned for her safety she could have easily waited for daylight, or called someone to come pick her up.

I believe the reason that this happened was due to the fact that when LE searched her car at the restaurant they found marijuana. She could have easily paid the bill. IIRC she had money in her car. So I don't think the reason they impounded her vehicle and took her into custody was the unpaid bill. IMO. That said, I do not know LE procedure regarding the release of prisoners. I think LE, could have...should have done more to protect MR from herself. It seems as though she was a troubled young lady. As another poster has stated this is very similar to Sarah Roger's story. In the middle of a manic episode she began wondering the roads/woods in a snow storm. I feel MR did the same thing in her confused mental state.

RIP Mitrice!

i respectfully disagree about the similarities between the rogers case and mitrice's. the only thing that MIGHT be similar would be mental illness. i personally believe that mitrice was experiencing some sort of mental break but i dont think it has ever been confirmed by a dr. mitrice was allegedly released directly from the jail, where as sarah left directly from her marital home, sarah had a history of PRONOUNCED mental illness confirmed by family, friends and physicians. sarahs husband suggested that she had been stopped for dui at some point BEFORE the day that she left her home and they (le) refused to hold her, imo without reading the police report its impossible to know why they released her, sarah did not disappear when leaving the pd after being stopped for suspicion of dui.... imo these two cases are nothing alike. they are both sad i agree. but the only case in which le might be negligent is mitrices case.:twocents: moo

She wasn't "dumped on the streets", she was released from custody. What she did after that was her business. If she was concerned for her safety she could have easily waited for daylight, or called someone to come pick her up.
Okay, released from custody ... in the middle of the night, with no phone, no money, no transportation. "Released" sounds soooo much better than "dumped", and really puts the blame on HER for getting herself killed. :banghead:

God Bless Mitrice's family. I can not even begin to fathom what they are going through. God Bless them all. How horrible to know something is not right with your daughter and that she goes missing from a police station after they let her go in the middle of the night! The police are suppose to protect. They fell down on the job big time here.

I think the police did so many things wrong here, but I've never heard the reason why they let her go in the middle of the night without HER belongings? Why would they hold them? Was it an over-sight? Why would they release someone without their ID? Doesn't make any sense.

It depends who you are, I guess, in Malibu.

When Charlie Sheen and Mel Gibson were arrested, they were driven back back by the Malibu PD.

When Mitrice was arrested, her car (with her belongings inside) was immediately towed away and she was "released".

Whether LE acted by the letter of the law or not: they KNEW she had no money with her, they KNEW she didn't have transportation.

I doubt Mitrice ever really knew where she was, when she tried to walk back...to where? The restaurant her car had already been towed from?

Next time you're arrested in Malibu, tell them you're Mel Gibson or Charlie Sheen (vile creatures who harm people, not innocent women with mental issues).

If they treated everyone that way, I'd say your statement was fair.

Why are the wealthy given police taxi service back home, and not someone who was brought in for the reasons Mitrice was?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimmyann4141
Back