CA - Multiple Deaths In Mass Shootings At Two Dance Studios in Monterey Park By Gunman Huu Can Tran, Jan 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
It was previously reported by CNN that the man involved in the standoff may have shot himself. Around 1pm PST, officers finally closed in the van and entered the vehicle to find a body on the driver’s seat, according to ABC.

Meanwhile, a picture has been released of the suspect in the Saturday night shooting. The gunman was described as an Asian male, between 30 and 50 years old.

Law enforcement responded Sunday to a “barricaded suspect” in a white van who may have been connected to a Saturday night mass shooting at a Los Angeles-area dance studio, L.A. County Sheriff Robert Luna said—but police say it’s unclear if the person in the van was responsible for the shooting that left 10 people dead the previous night.

US-SHOOTING

Police say an Asian man fired a gun in a crowded dance hall, leaving 10 people dead and at least 10 more injured. While the investigation into his motive is underway, a leading member of the Asian American community, Chinese Chamber of Commerce chairman Chester Chong, told ABC7 he believed the shooting stemmed from a personal dispute.

Regardless of whether the attack was personal or broader, USC professor May Lee, who teaches a course on Asian Americans in the media, said that because hate crimes against Asian Americans have increased in the past three years the shooter’s actions will stoke fear in the Asian Pacific Islander community.

“There’s been so much hate and violence toward Asians, any act of violence … intensifies fear and anxiety that we’ve all been living under,” said Lee, who is Korean American. “It just creates this idea that we have to watch ourselves, we have to be careful no matter what the motivation is. Can you imagine living with this kind of fear every day?”

Suspect allegedly took his own life in a cowardly fashion, so as not to have to face the heartbroken families of his victims ?
:mad:

I wonder how police discovered him to be in Torrance. It's about 30 miles away from Monterey Park.
Tip? surveillance?

Did you get clarification on this yet? I didn’t see the latest presser but bystanders were able to wrestle the gun from last nights suspect. I’m wondering since the guy from today killed himself, he obviously had a gun. Do they know for sure they are connected?

Still waiting for the big press conference. It was supposed to begin at 7:30 pm ET. Reporters on CNN are talking like what they've heard is that it was the same gunman at both shooting scenes in the area last night.

Something about having a gun that was able to handle a cartridge with 30 rounds and had the mechanism that allows him to keep shooting without stopping to reload. Ugh. If that was the gun people wrestled away from him at the second scene, assume he had another gun that he used to kill himself today in Torrance.

CNN reporters also saying that the killer may have gone to a hospital last night for some kind of treatment, before he later committed suicide. PC still hasn't started.

OK, PC starting now. LA Sheriff's office

I'm watching live on CNN. Sheriff Luna speaking.

Confirmed identity of man in cargo van was the shooting suspect. Sent out info and Torrance PD found him. Pulled behind him, he pulled into a shopping plaza parking lot. When pulled in, they heard one gunshot from the cargo van. Called SWAT, etc. determined he sustained self inflicted GS wound. Conducted a search of vehicle and determined he was the suspect in the shooting. Found evidence inside. Also found a handgun.

Huu Can Tran - 72 yo male Asian

Here's what Heavy.com has to say. Apparently the head of LA's Chinese Chamber of Commerce said the shooting stemmed from a domestic dispute, but Sheriff Luna says that has not been confirmed.

I hope that at some point we hear more about the heroes who disarmed the suspect during the Alhambra incident.

JMO

^ Also, they knew it was a white van.

"Hours earlier, Luna said authorities were looking for a white van after witnesses reported seeing the suspect flee from Alhambra in such a vehicle."

Probably checked cameras in that area to get the license plate. Put out a BOLO and the ALPR in Torrance caught him.

OK, PC starting now. LA Sheriff's office

I'm watching live on CNN. Sheriff Luna speaking.

Confirmed identity of man in cargo van was the shooting suspect. Sent out info and Torrance PD found him. Pulled behind him, he pulled into a shopping plaza parking lot. When pulled in, they heard one gunshot from the cargo van. Called SWAT, etc. determined he sustained self inflicted GS wound. Conducted a search of vehicle and determined he was the suspect in the shooting. Found evidence inside. Also found a handgun.

Huu Can Tran - 72 yo male Asian
Here's what Heavy.com has to say. Apparently the head of LA's Chinese Chamber of Commerce said the shooting stemmed from a domestic dispute, but Sheriff Luna says that has not been confirmed.

I hope that at some point we hear more about the heroes who disarmed the suspect during the Alhambra incident.

JMO
^ Also, they knew it was a white van.

"Hours earlier, Luna said authorities were looking for a white van after witnesses reported seeing the suspect flee from Alhambra in such a vehicle."

Probably checked cameras in that area to get the license plate. Put out a BOLO and the ALPR in Torrance caught him.

Thanks for posting the details.

Ugh a 72 year old…I saw his photo and looked like he may have dementia. Nothing specific, just my thoughts. It makes more sense if it’s domestic, or a vendetta.

. . . and, COVID is on the uptick, and he may have been hassled because he is Asian.

Possibly.

Also, Torrance has a number of ballroom dance venues, such as The Monarch in Old Torrance. I'm wondering if he was down here to try and take more ballroom dancers out. Old Torrance is very close to the 110 Freeway. Just speculating.

I'm speculating that he was driving East when TPD pulled him over. As we have a sizeable Asian population in this area, he may have waited until one these places open, and then made his move.

Heartbreaking.

JMVHO.

Last edited:
Huu Can Tran.
Tran is a Vietnamese name.

Might there be an issue there, against the Chinese folk ?
Was he not allowed in because he is not Chinese ?
Is that dance hall open for everyone?

Just wondering.

I was looking at photos of dancers at dance studios in Torrance and some of the Beach Cities. From what I could tell, these venues draw people from all over Los Angeles, so him being Vietnamese should not have been an issue.

JMVHO.

''Here’s what we know, and what we still don’t know, about the deadliest US mass shooting in recent months.

The shooting

''A gunman opened fire around 10.20pm on Saturday night at a ballroom dance studio in Monterey Park, California. Ten people – five men and five women – died at the scene, and at least 10 more were taken to nearby hospitals with injuries, officials said.''

''Twenty to 30 minutes later, a man with a gun entered another dance venue in nearby Alhambra, California, authorities said. People at the second ballroom wrestled the gun away from him, and the suspect fled. Authorities said they believed the two incidents were connected.''

The suspect

Law enforcement officials have identified the suspect as Huu Can Tran, a 72-year-old Asian man. Tran was found dead on Sunday morning in a white van that police had identified as a suspicious vehicle. They said he had died of an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound.''

“Tran had once been a regular of the Southern California dance studio where he opened fire and even met his ex-wife there, three people who knew him told CNN.

His ex-wife, who did not want her name to be revealed, told CNN that she had met Tran about two decades ago at Star Ballroom Dance Studio, where he gave informal lessons.

He offered her free lessons and it wasn't long before they were married.

But there were instances she said where he would get angry quickly. If she missed a step while dancing, he would get upset because he thought it made him look bad. But he was never violent toward her, she added.

She said that after several years together, he seemed to have lost interest in her. Tran filed for divorce in 2005, according to court records. It's not known how much Tran went to the studio in recent years”

''Here’s what we know, and what we still don’t know, about the deadliest US mass shooting in recent months.

The shooting

''A gunman opened fire around 10.20pm on Saturday night at a ballroom dance studio in Monterey Park, California. Ten people – five men and five women – died at the scene, and at least 10 more were taken to nearby hospitals with injuries, officials said.''

''Twenty to 30 minutes later, a man with a gun entered another dance venue in nearby Alhambra, California, authorities said. People at the second ballroom wrestled the gun away from him, and the suspect fled. Authorities said they believed the two incidents were connected.''

The suspect

Law enforcement officials have identified the suspect as Huu Can Tran, a 72-year-old Asian man. Tran was found dead on Sunday morning in a white van that police had identified as a suspicious vehicle. They said he had died of an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound.''

I find it interesting that he went to the ER for minor injuries considering he was going to kill himself. That implies to me he was mentally unstable in the way of having a well thought out plan.

‘ER or end my life’ is an extreme form of decision making. They are opposites.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PKBB
Back